Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Getting tired of fps genre..?

mcj metroid

In my entire life I've played 5 FPS's from start to finish. Ranked in awesome-ness order.

Goldeneye

Perfect Dark

The World is not Enough (N64)

Red Steel

Halo

So obviously I'm looking forward to The Conduit massively! :D

Anyway, I absolutly hate any game based on War simulation, part of me thinks it's just wrong which is why I refuse to play them. I've played COD4 and Halo online and hate both of them. I liked Perfect Dark Zero but only in multiplayer, single player was an abomination... I think, personally the genre is over cooked. Especially with most games getting re-hashes every year. They have also become too online focused and single player relies too heavily on STUPID recouperating health meters and checkpoints that destroy the sense of achievement and challenge.

The structure to the N64 games mentioned above was perfect. 20 levels, 3-8 mission based objectives in each and 3 difficulty settings. That system provided and excellent challenge and truly rewarding gameplay which encouraged exploration and required skill in completeing objectives whilst dismantling enemiess, not just taking cover and popping out every 3 seconds to kill each member of a unit one by one. Circle strafing around a hapless drone... Ah the memories... :)

Has the FPS genre gone stale? You bet it has! Year after year the same game with upgraded multiplayer is released and everyone goes nuts over it. Yet most of them forget that the 'campaign' only lasts 4-6 hours, something Luigi's Mansion was SLATED for less than 10 years ago. I hope the Conduit has it's own take on the old formula and adds something completely new to the genre.

Edit!: I forgot Timesplitters 2. That game was epic. I'd rank it as my 3rd favourite. :)

Edited by Nicktendo

They have also become too online focused

To be fair they are the parts most care about nowadays. The single player is just temp dressing in comparison.

No surprise MAG is only online with no single player. All the big shooters this gen are mostly famous for multi. From Killzone 2 to Halo 3.

The on-line focussed thing gets me as well..

Most games these days are.. i don't mind on-line gaming as long as they add it doesn't detract from the other modes I like..

The conduit for example(and yes I know here we go again) has excellent on-line hell they even tried to put lan in.. but forgot split-screen.. BULLSHIT!

in fairness, if the FPS is stale, most every outher genra is too. platformers, rpgs, action adventures, racers, none of them have really moved forwards that much, its just that they went through a huge boom a few years back, with far to many relased in a short period. the fact remains that cod 4 is one of the most popular games of all time, and arguably amoungst the best.

i think the best way to play agmes is to simply enjoy the experience, and not focus on the genra, for as i've already said, genra is quickly becoming more difficult to define.

in fairness, if the FPS is stale, most every outher genra is too. platformers, rpgs, action adventures, racers, none of them have really moved forwards that much, its just that they went through a huge boom a few years back, with far to many relased in a short period. the fact remains that cod 4 is one of the most popular games of all time, and arguably amoungst the best.

i think the best way to play agmes is to simply enjoy the experience, and not focus on the genra, for as i've already said, genra is quickly becoming more difficult to define.

well that's the thing though.. fps is going through that same boom right now.. how long will it last and what comes next?

does non-game games come next? like wii sports or wii fit?

I think someone will eventually invent a new genre, or revisit an old one in a new way and its going to change. Probably something that isn't possible with todays technology.

Perhaps something MMO related, or something that focuses as online as its main feature, but looks at it in a new way.

As for my opinion. I haven't actually played that many FPS games, but they really need to do something different, and something to appeal to the core gamer, and not the mainstream to interest me. I don't really care about all this flashy stuff, I want something that actually makes the game play differently to a point where it feels like I'm playing a different game. Thats why I'm so excited for the Conduit. Not because of the graphical effects, not because it looks 'badass' but because of the controls. After the Conduit, I'm not even sure I'll even play that many FPS games anymore. Although, I may go back and play a few older ones I missed out on.

I think someone will eventually invent a new genre, or revisit an old one in a new way and its going to change. Probably something that isn't possible with todays technology.

Perhaps something MMO related, or something that focuses as online as its main feature, but looks at it in a new way.

As for my opinion. I haven't actually played that many FPS games, but they really need to do something different, and something to appeal to the core gamer, and not the mainstream to interest me. I don't really care about all this flashy stuff, I want something that actually makes the game play differently to a point where it feels like I'm playing a different game. Thats why I'm so excited for the Conduit. Not because of the graphical effects, not because it looks 'badass' but because of the controls. After the Conduit, I'm not even sure I'll even play that many FPS games anymore. Although, I may go back and play a few older ones I missed out on.

i cant see the controles making a huge difference, i mean, the wii already has fps games, i dont see it being a world away from them.

only way i could see the fps changing is they may become more puzzle based alla portal or half life.

next big genra? nothing too removed, id guess the 3rd person adventure now that tech is able to more realisticly animate character movments.

What comes next?

BioShock 2. :heh:

I think FPSs will be just remain the most popular. They are pretty simple to get.

Now let's bare in mind that you refused to admit motion sensing would be the future at one time :D

That's not going to happen.. sometihng WILL replace fps games.. They are not is for everyone whereas games like wii fit are.. maybe that is the next evolution.

i cant see the controles making a huge difference, i mean, the wii already has fps games, i dont see it being a world away from them.

With the exception of Medal of Honor: Heros 2, and perhaps Call of Duty: World at War (the latter of which I haven't played), not that many of them have really managed to nail the controls. And WWII has gotten a bit boring. Metroid Prime 3 wasn't really an FPS game in a traditional sense either.

let's see historically

first the popular one was the sports genre...

games like pong etc

then i guess space shooters generally:

like space invaders and many imitators..

I reall think from super mario bros onwards it was platformers. sonic would have helped sustain this and then the addition of 3d helped it even more.

.. I think this ended when the ps2 came out and killed crash bandicoot and spyro and gamecube had the "ok" super mario sunshine so nothing was left really. jak and ratchet were good games but nowhere near as popular as crash and spyro were I feel.

Now it's fps..

I think that's about it... Of course when pokemon came out maybe there was a brief time for rpgs..but that's minor and only on a few platforms.

my point with all this was you mentioned a point of reiventing itself.. Well when platforming was tops popular 3d helped sustain this.. So that helped..

But what could fps games do? High definition surely helps? wii-controls... maybe not yet but motion sensing will help..

I'm not sure I think we have a long time to go before fps games fade into the background..

Strategy (RTS, TBS), Simulation (Tycoon games, SIMS), Sports and RPG have been going strong for a very long time now. They were never the No.1 genre, but always been populair. I have never been into FPS's myself, but did enjoy some of them during the N64 era.

Now let's bare in mind that you refused to admit motion sensing would be the future at one time :D

That's not going to happen.. sometihng WILL replace fps games.. They are not is for everyone whereas games like wii fit are.. maybe that is the next evolution.

Did I? Honestly, can you quote me because I don't remember. I'm sure I was arguing that the technical (physics, AI, graphical) and structural (story and UI accessability) were more important. Would be weird to just rule something out, especially something that has made the Wii sell so much.

Although, it wouldn't be a surprise if I was talking utter shit.

Yeah, I was rethinking it after Emasher's post. I think 3rd person games will be the next massive genre. Since Assassin's Creed they've shown that they are capable of having a real weight behind them. Also, with Alone in the Dark, as awful as that game was structurally it was very accessible (shame the controls were the other extreme).

I don't think anything will replace FPSs, I just think other genres will become just as popular.

next big genra? nothing too removed, id guess the 3rd person adventure now that tech is able to more realisticly animate character movments.

Yeah, I was rethinking it after Emasher's post. I think 3rd person games will be the next massive genre. Since Assassin's Creed they've shown that they are capable of having a real weight behind them. Also, with Alone in the Dark, as awful as that game was structurally it was very accessible (shame the controls were the other extreme).

I hope this is the case. If Nintendo were still as technically-minded as they once were (in terms of game engines and 3D worlds), I could see the next Zelda as being a benchmark. (Or Metroid, actually, before the announcement of Other M.)

What I mean by this is, in this day and age, you should be able to switch between 1st-person, over-the-shoulder and normal 3rd-person whenever you like. Then the game would be more defined by the concept rather than the perspective.

I really got tired of this genre late into the original xbox life..

But They seem just as popular as they ever were.. It's no secret that it's the dominant genre at the moment and has been for the last few years.

In the early 90's plaforming was the biz.. But that was so broad. Look at how completely different sonic and mario were? But I do agree most were just silly immitators.. And I got tired of that until 3d made it worthwhile again..

When goldeneye came out It was fantastic there was nothing like it.

And I went through all the fps games since for a while like red faction, timeplitters, serious sam, halo, doom, quake, duke nukem.. But it's lost it's charm for me..

I know the wii is only getting started with it.. but for me no split-screen for conduit = no buy..

I have enjoyed a few lately like cod4.. But ONly play it at someone elses place for multiplayer.

I also must confess I was never a pc gamer either.

My Questions for this thread simply are:

Do you find yourself playing fps games as much as ever? What keeps you playing them?

HOW long do you think the genre's major popularity will last and what will come afterwards?

I also realise that this is a bit of a weird topic to have in the wii section as there are barely any fps games on the wii but there are STILL some I guess.

I still play first person shooters, although I think that many of them are well over hyped. The worst game I've bought this generation is Far Cry 2.

However I still play games like Day of Defeat, Insurgency and Vegas 2, plus I'll get Operation Flashpoint 2 for the box as soon as it gets released.

What I get from the game depends on what FPS I buy (NO, all FPS games are NOT generic and gray). From OFP and Insurgency I expect realism, and I expected realism from Vegas, although I don't think the game delivered. From Day of Defeat I expect a skill based multiplayer experience and from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I just wanna shoot things!

First person shooters were THE genre back in the late 90's, since then we've had sandbox gangster sort of games and MMO's. Right now THE genre is probably the cheap assed cashcow casual game.