NEurope
Bren

Banksy Exhibition

Just saw this on BBC news, lovin the way it was completely secret, even to some of the managers of the gallery, all funded by banksy himself (he'll prob make a fortune when he gets round to selling the stuff from it).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8094839.stm

some pics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8096000/8096891.stm

Quite cool that people who applied for work at a job centre on thursday got given jobs as tour guides lol.

So yeah, anyone goin to go along to this?

I quite like Banksy's work, or the little amount I have seen of it (sadly only through pictures). Wouldn't mind visiting this exhibition, but it's a bit far away. =P

TOTALLY going to this.

will be so nice to see some of banksy's non-spraycan work. the animatronic exhibits look pretty awesome.

i heard that only the main boss at the museum knew anything about it... even after shepard farley's recent kind-of victory in the courts - exhibiting the work of an artist who's actually being sought by the local council is a pretty gutsy move for a museum funded by the same council~!!

saying that, this exhibition is likely to make so much money for the local area that nobody can really complain.

really hope it stays for the intended 3 months!!

not funded by banksy ~ this quote is pretty much solid gold tho:~

Banksy said: "This is the first show I've ever done where taxpayers' money is being used to hang my pictures up rather than scrape them off."
Edited by bluey

Saw some of his "work" on the local news, have to say I'm not that impressed.

What a surprise.

Yeah, EEVIL you have some really questionable views of things like art, film etc.

*waits for "so do you", as I've set myself up for*

Edited by Paj!

What a surprise.

It looks alright for random crap, but it's not something I would consider art. A riot cop riding a small penny charging horse.

Yeah, EEVIL you have some really questionable views of things like art, film etc.

I would say it, but I can't remember your views.

To be fair, so do you. We all do, hence why we're here discussing such things being dynamic. I think Groove Armada put it best when they said "If everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other".

I tend to agree.

Well, ignoring music, I think I have a pretty good taste in films and visual art, if you can really have a taste in either. I like challenging stuff/like analysing stuff. I don't know very much about Banksy...I thought he was sort of "flavour of the month" a while back with his books being sold inj HMV, but I like a lot of what I've seen.

Banksy's gallery stuff is nowhere near as provocative as his street art, in my opinion. From the pictures on the bbc site his wit still shines through, but really he's not doing anything that we've not seen before. I mean, the MPs as monkeys? people have compared Bush to a chimp for years, it just isn't striking or original, trend-setting nor revolutionary.

But as something to look at, it's fine. As something that evokes a specific thought or emotion, it works. It just doesn't challenge.

Well, ignoring music, I think I have a pretty good taste in films and visual art, if you can really have a taste in either.

See, I've never liked this sentence. What the heck is "good" taste? When art and taste is so subjective and personal, how can we make a universal scale or grading capable of classifying tastes as "good" or "bad"? Isn't that what subjectivity implies: That the opinion on something is entirely relative to the individual person's taste?

See, I've never liked this sentence. What the heck is "good" taste? When art and taste is so subjective and personal, how can we make a universal scale or grading capable of classifying tastes as "good" or "bad"? Isn't that what subjectivity implies: That the opinion on something is entirely relative to the individual person's taste?

Oh no....you didn't....oh god you did......you said it....that arugment.....not again....*waits for Bard/Oxigen to come storming into thread :o

Love Banksies work, so cool and individual. Seems so different to my other favourite artist, Kandinsky. i know nothing of art apart from the fact i like those two

I seek out and enjoy and want to experience amazing films. And I enjoy them. And i dislike bad films/pointless films/films that leave you with nothing.

And obviously it's "all subjective!!!", but in regards to what the universe regards as "good" in film, I usually really enjoy, or at least appreciate. But that sounds like I like them because they're known for being good, which isn't true. But knowing what is highly regaded helps me find a lot of amazing films.

Oh no....you didn't....oh god you did......you said it....that arugment.....not again....*waits for Bard/Oxigen to come storming into thread :o

Love Banksies work, so cool and individual. Seems so different to my other favourite artist, Kandinsky. i know nothing of art apart from the fact i like those two

Don't worry, I'm not gonna argue art with him. :heh:

I seek out and enjoy and want to experience amazing films. And I enjoy them. And i dislike bad films/pointless films/films that leave you with nothing.

And obviously it's "all subjective!!!", but in regards to what the universe regards as "good" in film, I usually really enjoy, or at least appreciate. But that sounds like I like them because they're known for being good, which isn't true. But knowing what is highly regaded helps me find a lot of amazing films.

I see. :) Though I still don't like the use of terms like "good" films and "bad" films, as those two adjectives tell us about as much about a film as the adjectives "English" or "French" would do.

His books shit hot, Wall and piece, u can pick it up for a few quid nowadays, its crackin for a coffee table book, lots of pretty pictures :P

Hmm, anyone thinkin of headin to the exhibition?

Don't worry, I'm not gonna argue art with him. :heh:

I see. :) Though I still don't like the use of terms like "good" films and "bad" films, as those two adjectives tell us about as much about a film as the adjectives "English" or "French" would do.

However, films are a lot easier to classiy as either or than Music, which is just a minfield of opinions.

Alien is a good film, Batman & Robin is a bad film.

Superhero Movie is a bad film, There Will Be Blood is a good film.

And so on. That's nothing to do with enjoyment really. I vasty enjoy Batman & Robin for it's OTT campiness from both Uma Thurman and Arnie, but I'm under no illusion of it's quality. :)

However, films are a lot easier to classiy as either or than Music, which is just a minfield of opinions.

Superhero Movie is a bad film, There Will Be Blood is a good film.

And so on. That's nothing to do with enjoyment really. I vasty enjoy Batman & Robin for it's OTT campiness from both Uma Thurman and Arnie, but I'm under no illusion of it's quality. :)

That's fair enough. A film can certainly be judged upon criteria, and in that sense you can argue that a film is "good" or "bad". :)

Exactly. Obviously there's grey areas, at which point it all goes into the long debate which no one wants again about worthy art and stuff.

Exactly. Obviously there's grey areas, at which point it all goes into the long debate which no one wants again about worthy art and stuff.

Exactly my thoughts, actually. :)

Superhero Movie is a bad film, There Will Be Blood is a fucking brilliant film.

Fixed lols.

Fixed lols.

I originally used "amazing", "brilliant", but then decide just to stick to the black and white facts. :indeed:

I'm going to it, when I was touring the city with my cousin who came to visit she was amazed at Banksy's graffiti scattered about the place. If someone from outside the city can appreciate it so much, then why shouldn't I living here?