N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Retro_Link

Honesty, I just posted my opinion, and why I'm thinking that way, you don't have to flame me because of it. So what if very few sites use a system like that, a lot of people bought carnival games, that doesn't make it a good game, let alone prove its a good game. Don't expect me to reply to any more of your posts on the subject.

Don't expect me to reply to any more of your posts on the subject.

I'll try not to lose sleep over it.

Right, your point I understand, and I see that you disagree with the /3 scores (which is fine) but you're saying two things

1) Emasher is egotistical because he is saying that the /3 idea is the best and he made it up

2) You are not egotistical, you are simply saying that you think the /10 score, which is used by several websites is the best idea

This would be fine except that Emasher didn't make up these /3 scores, as he has shown some websites use them. Basically you both have seen different websites which use different scores, and you both think they're best for different reasons. That's fine! You just need to.. well, not call people names really, when they just disagree with you. I hope you see what I mean, you've both done the exact same thing but just with a different scoring system. I agree with you both that /100 is too much, I just disagree with people calling names (it's a little immature) when someone disagrees with them.

But seriously now, let's just forget it and get back on topic, this is a discussion for another thread!

Totally fair enough, I apologise.

GoNintendo reported that Yoshi unfortunately does not stick with you between levels meaning you can only use yoshi in levels with a Yoshi.

A shame I guess but equally I'm not too fussed because I'd often find myself losing Yoshi after a level or so anyway... :sad: controling the game with nunchuk-wiimote should be interesting.

I'm still hoping for a classic controller control option. I've never really liked playing 2D games with an analog stick, and the D-Pad is just a bit small on the Wii Remote.

This!

And it would give me an excuse to buy that new black Classic Controller!

I'm still hoping for a classic controller control option. I've never really liked playing 2D games with an analog stick, and the D-Pad is just a bit small on the Wii Remote.

The D-Pad on the Classic Controller is exactly the same as the one on the Wii Remote...

Guest Captain Falcon
So apparently Edge gave this a 7

Looking forward to seeing their justification for it but I think I can guess

I saw that over on gonintendo.

Now whether it's a case that they were being harsh or that everyone else is being over enthusiastic I can't say, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

I saw that over on gonintendo.

Now whether it's a case that they were being harsh or that everyone else is being over enthusiastic I can't say, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

Reasons why Edge probably hates it

1. It's essentially 2D

2. It's too "similar" to the previous games

3. No online

4. It's not a shooter

Guest Captain Falcon
I think it really will depend on whether you have people to play a 3/4 player game with, or if you are pretty much stuck with the single player.

Either way it should loose a point for not being online!

Well you'd think the game is inherently more fun with more people thanks to the competitive/ co-operative angle but then with the game being primarily design for one player, it shouldn't suffer too much.

Reasons why Edge probably hates it

1. It's essentially 2D

2. It's too "similar" to the previous games

3. No online

4. It's not a shooter

I read Edge and I've never really took them as overly fond of shooters - well, except Halo anyway.

But like Retro says, not being online is criminal. I know they want people in the same room to play, but that's not always possible. They missed a trick in not having any online in WSR (plus Wii speak) and I don't see how this is any different.

Is Edge one of those publications that rates games on a scale of 1 to 10 rather than 5 to 10?

Anyway, while I obviously haven't played the game, I'm guessing its going to be pretty good, but part of what will bring the score up in our minds is nostalgia, Edge isn't necessarily reviewing the game for people like us who grew up with the old mario games, but people who aren't going to buy this if it got 10/10, who were raised on Halo ect.

Is Edge one of those publications that rates games on a scale of 1 to 10 rather than 5 to 10?

Yes, and they make sure the score is very unobtrusive as well - just a small number at the end of the text.

I have to say, I usually agree with Edge's scores, even though I never enjoyed the text of their reviews so much (which is ironic, as that's what they'd like you to focus on!) They have the ability to see whether a big name game is a truly a "AAA" game or not. Sometimes it's important to a company that a big game like Mario or Metroid is seen as essential, but that's not always the reality. For instance, they gave Metroid Prime: Corruption a 7, which I think is right when you look at the bigger picture.

To be fair nothing about this game has struck me as suggesting it would get high scores. It really is very similar to NSMB obviously...to a degree where it seems samey enough that it would naturally drop scores for lack of originality.

Bringing back the Koopa kids and Yoshi doesn't make the game an instant 10 in everyone's eyes. It's factors like that which have hardcore fans excited but from a review standpoint things like that mean next to nothing.

It seems the sole truly original feature in this game is the multiplayer focus, however due to the lack of online that's something you're only going to be able to take advantage of with several people who want to play through a co-op Mario experience. Most people I know would far rather play a co-op shooter sadly.

Edited by James McGeachie