N-Europe

Tournament of Legends (Gladiator A.D)

Dante

I wonder if this deal was already lined up or it was conditional based on sales of The Conduit as SEGA had stated they had no intention of releasing any more Mature rated games on the console didn't they?

I'm pretty sure SEGA actually nudged them to drop the gritty style of what we saw last year in favour of this more colourful, mythical set-up.

It's a shame HVS went from 10+ publishers clamouring to get Conduit to them having to make compromises just to get this out the door.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon
I don't really want to voice an opinion on this as I don't feel enough has been shown to do so. Don't like the name change though.

I wonder who the publisher is.

Oh, sorry. It's SEGA again.

We've just cleared that one up.

It's a shame HVS went from 10+ publishers clamouring to get Conduit to them having to make compromises just to get this out the door.

That's pure speculation. Especially since some more information is available:

Tournament of Legends is still a fighter but High Voltage has traded in historical realism for a more colorful backdrop pulling inspiration from Greek and Roman mythology. The original art style felt overly restrictive, Matt Corso, Art Director for High Voltage explained. The team decided to be more creative and pursue a style inspired by Ray Harryhausen's Clash of the Titans.

If you're wondering if Tournament of Legends will support Wii Motion Plus, the answer is no. Because the motion controls are evenly split between the Nunchuk and Wii Remote Corso said it felt imbalanced to have the added effects of Motion Plus on one side but not the other.

But:

The motion controls were surprisingly responsive in my time with the game. Gestures are limited to simple horizontal and vertical swipes and the sensitivity felt right. In just a few minutes I felt like I was able to pull off vertical and horizontal attacks without worrying about the intensity or exaggeration of my motions.

There are 10 characters and 8 environments.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/106/1066303p1.html

Edited by LostOverThere

This game looks totally 'meh' and the new style does very little to make it more interesting. I think they should have possibly scrapped this to work on The Grinder (which has had it's player count halved!!).

After The Conduit, I look at HVS and lack confidence in them to produce anything that will really be up there and compete with the best games in that genre.

• 1 month later...
I fixed the Youtube video for you, Zechs. What you do is take the the stuff from the URL that comes after the v= and put it into the YT tags. :)

£29.99 seems like a pretty standard price to me. I'd consider sub £25 to be budget. :heh:

Thanks :) oh and that was my mistake, the price point is $29.99, I put sterling when I meant dollars!

• 2 months later...
Even at that price this game is going to absolutely bomb!

Well, it's not certain. The thing is that this game's got too little hype behind it. It's a new franchise, but on the other hand it's got no competition on the Wii. And besides, don't games have to:

A: Be developed by Nintendo or

B: Be a waggle fest

to sell good on the Wii?

To me, it seems like a worthy competitor to Soul Calibur, although a lack of online is a bit of a shame. This'll probably sell badly, but by no means do I see this as a bad game.

Well, it's not certain. The thing is that this game's got too little hype behind it. It's a new franchise, but on the other hand it's got no competition on the Wii. And besides, don't games have to:

A: Be developed by Nintendo or

B: Be a waggle fest

to sell good on the Wii?

To me, it seems like a worthy competitor to Soul Calibur, although a lack of online is a bit of a shame. This'll probably sell badly, but by no means do I see this as a bad game.

I quite liked what I saw of it. It doesn't seem like a bad game. Maybe just a bit ropey in some aspects, but there's time to polish that up? (it's been a while since we've seen any footage, I think)

I agree with you where you say that there's no competition for this on the Wii. There needs to be more fighting games. So, you never know, this might do ok. I'm more excited for this than I am/was for The Grinder.

It actually does look like a decent game at this point. Hopefully it plays as good as it looks. In all honesty, I don't think it will even come close to breaking a million units, but it could do alright.

Well, I've talked to people in the industry, and they usually count on new games to sell badly. The hope is to establish the name, so the sequels will sell better. An excellent example of this is Mirrors Edge, which sold badly but still is getting a sequel.

Perhaps this'll be what Killer Instinct was back in the days. Or it might become our own Tekken so to speak.

• 5 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!