N-Europe

Huge PC Problem

ReZourceman

BSOD, Blue Screen Of Death my good man. Unmountable Boot Volume makes me think of the Hardrive, but I really don't know. A dead HD shouldn't make a PC BSOD, it just shouldn't go past Bios at that point.

Before formatting, ask around to see if anyone you know has an XP disk you can use.

Oh cool, so I can use any disk.

In the event that I get a new PC, can I put my old hard drive in it, and if I did what would happen in re to its operation.

Thanks xoxox

Oh cool, so I can use any disk.

In the event that I get a new PC, can I put my old hard drive in it, and if I did what would happen in re to its operation.

Thanks xoxox

The contents of your hard disk *should* be fine. If you used it on another computer you should be able to access the majority if not all of the contents.

A broken MBR is no reason to buy a new PC really, the PC itself still works it's just one of the files on the hard drive is screwed. If you can aquire an XP disk (assuming you're on XP? Vista if you're on Vista) then you can fix it easily enough. If not then a temporary solution would be to get someone to download the Windows 7 Release Candidate and install that. It'll have a file in it called Windows.Old, all of your old files will be in there.

• 2 weeks later...
Right I've got the disk.....but having read what I have to do on that site.....it doesn't even reach the welcome screen....

What the fuck do I do/!?!!?!

Put the disk in as soon as you switch the PC on (if not then before and reset). What does the computer do? If it's the same thing as without the disk then it's ignoring it and booting from the HDD. You'll need to change the boot order in the bios set-up menu ("press Del. to enter set-up").