NEurope
david.dakota

Bethesda: Really Big Mature Wii Title On The Way

So says Gamesindustry.biz, via Eurogamer.

The Oblivion and Fallout developer is set to announce a "really big Wii game this year", says Sean Brennan (Bethesda's european boss). Brennan continues "is there as space in the Wii market for that (mature games)? I think there is".

Eurogamer's report is linked above, and Gamesindustry.biz from there.

Welcome to the party, Bethesda.

Ganepark posted about this in the Wii General Discussions, but I guess it can support it's own thread. Here's what I posted in there:

Wonder if this is the new game IGN are teasing?

It could be using some kind of reworked Elder Scrolls engine, and what with the sword fighting and castle style backdrop.

ao6zjs.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Don't remind Morrowind or Oblivion having gore? But good news, nonetheless!

Imagine if they actually increased the gore for Wii. Family console my ass!

^ they didn't have gore in the sense of dismemberment but there was blood.

Don't remind Morrowind or Oblivion having gore? But good news, nonetheless!

Imagine if they actually increased the gore for Wii. Family console my ass!

You can be mature/M-rated without Gore perse. The games had blood, which isn't so bad by itself(but usually enough) they also have lots of dodgy references to drugs and sex and stuff which will get a Mature rating.

I'm hoping for a spin off or sequal to Morrowind. Oblivion was good but Morrowind was better. I can't wait either way.

An elder scrolls title would be nice, but surely they'd have to severely downsize the game. I'd rather they kept the next one on the 360.

^ they didn't have gore in the sense of dismemberment but there was blood.

Fallout 3 however did.

And witht he success of Mad World, I believe this is fully possible. Go Bethesda!

An elder scrolls title would be nice, but surely they'd have to severely downsize the game. I'd rather they kept the next one on the 360.

What do you mean 'downsize'? With a little work the could get Oblivion running on the Wii, it wouldn't look as good but the engine is very scalable. I've got it on my laptop, setting everything to minimum makes the game look worse than a PS1 title no joke, runs great though. As for the size of the world, they don't have to stream it all at once. They don't even do that on other systems which is why you'll hit the periodic loading point. Those points are usually hidden as the game loads the next area in the background, but it doesn't always go smoothly.

Also as a quick point, Oblivion and Morrowind are both very downsized compared to Daggerfall(ES2). Daggerfall is approximately the size of great Britain. Of course the problem lies in the fact that it's all very generic while ES3/4 are very detailed.

You can be mature/M-rated without Gore perse. The games had blood, which isn't so bad by itself(but usually enough) they also have lots of dodgy references to drugs and sex and stuff which will get a Mature rating.

I was alluding to R_Linky's claim that the über pic reveal could very well be from said Bethesda game, in which case... :)

Would rather not have Fallout 3. Absolutely hated the way in which the game confined you (i.e., rubble in a post-apocalyptic town? take the metro! stole something? lose some karma! want to influence someone? quickly equip Jacket of +9000 charisma!). Yuck.

Didn't they downgrade Oblivion for PSP?

Anyway, I'd rather have a nice new, ground-up title please.

^ Yeh, they were working on a downgraded version of Oblivion to run on the PSP but it didn't come to anything. Think it was a mix of both technical limitations and the fact that the game doesn't lend itself well to the whole handheld gaming ideal.

As for what this is, who knows. Bethesda already have the Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine running on the Wii, obviously at standard def and with lower tech but it's running and has been for over a year now so I'd reckon anything they announce would be at least a decent length into development.

Yeah, a new title would be better. Its probably Bethesda the publisher and not the developer behind this, I can't imagine them doing a huge game on a console that has no patching. And I'm not a big fan of this huge RPGs.

This is good news. Hopefully its not something like Dead Rising:Chop Till you drop.

I can't imagine them doing a huge game on a console that has no patching

Zing!

Didn't the Ubisoft Red-Steel-2-has-no-multiplayer-but-we-could-add-it-in-a-patch comment kinda confirm that with the Wii's new storage solution comes not only great responsibility, but also the possiblity of patching games?

Hmm. Shino has sort of put a downer on this for me because I've realised that he's probably right in saying it will just be a Bethesda-published title. The guy giving the interview seems to have PR-responsibilities so it's only natural he'll hype a game up.

And High Voltage said they could have had a patch system, but decided not to in The Conduit.

its this game from the Sness Gods

look at this video, i hope this game turns out well for the wii

?rel=0&autoplay=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

If it's another Fallout you're in for a fucking treat but they are already making another one on other consoles. I think for Wii they should do a more linear game with better set-pieces than Fallout. I love the retroness that Bethesda include in their games. The story telling/writing and stuff like the PipBoy are brilliant.

What do you mean 'downsize'? With a little work the could get Oblivion running on the Wii, it wouldn't look as good but the engine is very scalable. I've got it on my laptop, setting everything to minimum makes the game look worse than a PS1 title no joke, runs great though. As for the size of the world, they don't have to stream it all at once. They don't even do that on other systems which is why you'll hit the periodic loading point. Those points are usually hidden as the game loads the next area in the background, but it doesn't always go smoothly.

Also as a quick point, Oblivion and Morrowind are both very downsized compared to Daggerfall(ES2). Daggerfall is approximately the size of great Britain. Of course the problem lies in the fact that it's all very generic while ES3/4 are very detailed.

Yeah that's kinda what I meant by downsizing.

If it's another Fallout you're in for a fucking treat but they are already making another one on other consoles. I think for Wii they should do a more linear game with better set-pieces than Fallout. I love the retroness that Bethesda include in their games. The story telling/writing and stuff like the PipBoy are brilliant.

Or they could do something like the first 2 Fallout.