Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Blue_Ninja0

A few things I'll say about the game so far. The Music is Brilliant, as it should be in a remake.

The new design for the pokemon center seems unfinished. No furniture or anything like that. Although that's not really that important.

I'm not a fan of the smaller Safari Zone. It was perfect back with Red and Blue, I don't know why they couldn't give us something like that.

The Pokemon following you isn't a big deal really, you don't even notice they're there.

Some gym leaders are a bit challenging. Especially since they tend to use cheap moves.

Game Freak needs to hire a writer. The dialog is terrible.

The ability to set run to always be on is a nice addition.

The encounter rate is way to high. I swear it must be 25% per step in some areas.

The uniformity of the placement of some of the scenery is getting a little bit dated.

The game actually froze on me once. That's the first time that's ever happened to me with a pokemon game.

The game doesn't feel as big as it was because of the updated graphics. While I haven't even got to Kanto yet, Johto at least feels much smaller than it did in the original.

The Menus are worse than in Diamond and Pearl.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The warehouse won't be open on Sunday...and perhaps today I don't know.

It would be nice if mine were to arrive on Monday because I am to-ing and fro-ing London on Tues/Weds but I know that's going to happen. Although with it being such a large box and that figure thing chances are they'll leave one of those "we missed you" slips and I'll have to trek to the sorting office.

A few things I'll say about the game so far. The Music is Brilliant, as it should be in a remake.

The new design for the pokemon center seems unfinished. No furniture or anything like that. Although that's not really that important.

I'm not a fan of the smaller Safari Zone. It was perfect back with Red and Blue, I don't know why they couldn't give us something like that.

The Pokemon following you isn't a big deal really, you don't even notice they're there.

Some gym leaders are a bit challenging. Especially since they tend to use cheap moves.

Game Freak needs to hire a writer. The dialog is terrible.

The ability to set run to always be on is a nice addition.

The encounter rate is way to high. I swear it must be 25% per step in some areas.

The uniformity of the placement of some of the scenery is getting a little bit dated.

The game actually froze on me once. That's the first time that's ever happened to me with a pokemon game.

The game doesn't feel as big as it was because of the updated graphics. While I haven't even got to Kanto yet, Johto at least feels much smaller than it did in the original.

The Menus are worse than in Diamond and Pearl.

The Safari Zone isn't smaller. It is in fact, much MUCH bigger in scope and size and has over 300 Pokémon entries in it

The Running Shoes increase the encounter rate

Johto was in fact smaller in the originals. Johto was a ridiculously small region...people just forget this with nostalgia. I always used this as the argument when people said GS were the best games

Im just gonna put this in here even though its about Platinum...

As i'll be getting Gold next week I figured it was time to finish Platinum and beat the elite four etc. Now ive already made it through the elite four but lost on the champion so could use some help sorting out my team.

At the moment ive got:

Empoleon Lvl 55

Giratina Lvl 52

Staraptor Lvl 53

Luxray Lvl 51

Torterra Lvl 51

Rapidash Lvl 52

The levels dont matter too much as I know I have to try and get them up higher but I could use some help maybe with who I should switch out and who for. Rapidash always seems too weak for me and I think I need someone with Ice moves for the champion so any suggestions?

Got the game today, but I still haven't decided which Pokemon to choose. Never really liked the design on the final Pokemons in GS. And I chose the worst name for my character ever. I got no creativity >_>

how did you get the game today its not even out yet.

I'm in agreement with the HM's issue. There are too many damn water based HM's in this game, and none (Well, bar Surf IMO) are useful in battle.

I've been playing the Voltorb Flip game today, and I can assure you, this is definitely a welcome replacement to slots, its pretty hard to get into, but once you know what you're doing.. hours will go.

I dunno, Rock Climb & Strength are pretty beastly for some solid hits

Agree'd, I was mainly digging at the water-based Hidden Machines. I feel so damn bad for having a HM slave during the story progression, but it needs to be done.

Imagine how different all of this would have been if they kept the Surfboard in the originals..

The Safari Zone isn't smaller. It is in fact, much MUCH bigger in scope and size and has over 300 Pokémon entries in it

The Running Shoes increase the encounter rate

Johto was in fact smaller in the originals. Johto was a ridiculously small region...people just forget this with nostalgia. I always used this as the argument when people said GS were the best games

Its more the overall design of it that seems weaker though. Its too uniform.

I know, but even surfing, which shouldn't be effected by the running shoes seems to have a higher encounter rate.

I know it was smaller. I suppose it all just relates back to this though, a bit more complicated than just nostalgia:

pokemon.jpg

Bug catching contest is beginning to piss me off. Placing nowhere with a Scyther when a Weedle gets 2nd place, How the hell does that work?

I believe that in addition to species and such, it also takes condition into consideration such as any status effects and HP remaining

Why cant you just wait for 1 week.

Looking at Tales's location, Norway has ridiculous taxes, this may be a factor.

I also imported, and why should I wait two weeks? I got it cheaper and faster than the UK release, I'm not going to be a white knight fan boy and think "NINTENDO OF EUROPE NEED MY MONEY", cause they don't. I've had enough of their pricing over here, I had to wait a couple of months for Platinum with that mentality, paid much more cause of some bullshit £34.99 price tag (Replacing the dollar sign with a pound sign much?) AND had content removed which they sneakily didn't announce.

So, I return the question, why wait about 2 weeks?

Looking at Tales's location, Norway has ridiculous taxes, this may be a factor.

I also imported, and why should I wait two weeks? I got it cheaper and faster than the UK release, I'm not going to be a white knight fan boy and think "NINTENDO OF EUROPE NEED MY MONEY", cause they don't. I've had enough of their pricing over here, I had to wait a couple of months for Platinum with that mentality, paid much more cause of some bullshit £34.99 price tag (Replacing the dollar sign with a pound sign much?) AND had content removed which they sneakily didn't announce.

So, I return the question, why wait about 2 weeks?

Well I am still geting it in UK becuse I like Nintendo Europe and the VIP Tickets.

It's easier?

Is importing not easy? I ordered, it arrived cheaper, quicker and without custom charges. Seems to be the same process.

Well I am still geting it in UK becuse I like Nintendo Europe and the VIP Tickets.

I forgot about the VIP tickets, apologies. While I commend NOE's improvements in localisation speeds, I'm still firmly against their price raising tactics which retailers here are having to pick up the price of because they know customers are not willing to pay the increases.

Agh, just had a couple of unsuccessful attempts against the Elite Four. Just then I got to the Champion, but failed miserably! I'll give him a few more goes, as I saved just before him, but I'll have to get a few lucky hits in to stand a chance of bearing him, as my team's levels aren't quite high enough, and I've only got four revives.. If I lose, it'll be a while before I can try again, as I'll have to earn the money to buy more revives and hyper potions! :( I want to explore Kanto!

Nostalgia does not have to be a reason to say those were the best games. I know most people who disagree with the "GSC are the best gen Pokemon games" statement are pretty much talking about the meta game.. the whole battling and competitive scene.

A lot of people such as myself play Pokemon for the adventure aspect. GSC gen therefore is the best gen in that sense. I won't go through the reasons why since I know you've heard them all. But that is pretty much it.

Also with nostalgia, you can pretty much say the same for anything from the past that people think are the best. "OOT is the best game ever - Nostalgia, Sonic 1 and 2 are the best sonic games - nostalgia". It's a poor counter argument.

Why cant you just wait for 1 week.

This amused me.

Game despatched MW2 6 days before it came out on the 10th November 2009 and that was with Express - 1 day Delivery so they could start despatching mine today or Monday and if they do it today then that means 6 days before or if they do it on Monday then it will be 5 days before the game comes out and I got both games comeing from Game.co.uk I will update you all if they start shipping it I hope so.

Edited by canand