NEurope
Kirkatronics

Qwerty Vs. abc def

On mobile devices which do you prefer to use?

Some people are set in their old school ways with the numbers, but i prefer the qwerty keyboard.

Whats your oppinion on this?

QWERTY isn't practical, but saying that I still like it. My phone has both QWERTY and T9. Best of both worlds.

QWERTY isn't practical, but saying that I still like it. My phone has both QWERTY and T9. Best of both worlds.

That sounds like a good combo, bet it can get fiddly, though.

Why dont you think its practical?

Two hands is probably my guess.

I would love to have a qwerty phone, but alas I only have T9. I do know someone who thinks T9 is too slow/complicated so he does abc.

That sounds like a good combo, bet it can get fiddly, though.

Not really.

Two hands is probably my guess.

I would love to have a qwerty phone, but alas I only have T9. I do know someone who thinks T9 is too slow/complicated so he does abc.

Aye. T9 is useful once you get used to it - and have all your words added on. The intelligent ones that remember the words you use more frequently are pretty awesome. E.161 multitap just annoys my arthritis so I tend to avoid it.

Not really.

Aye. T9 is useful once you get used to it - and have all your words added on. The intelligent ones that remember the words you use more frequently are pretty awesome. E.161 multitap just annoys my arthritis so I tend to avoid it.

For me it just makes it so much faster, and i dont find it impractical at all.

I can do it with one hand, sometimes.

A QWERTY-phone How does that work? You just bring a keyboard along in your pocket, or ...? :p

Anyway, I love T9. Though my phone tends to forget some words when new are added. But it's never a major issue, and it's generally very fast for me.

A QWERTY-phone How does that work? You just bring a keyboard along in your pocket, or ...? :p

Anyway, I love T9. Though my phone tends to forget some words when new are added. But it's never a major issue, and it's generally very fast for me.

It just folds out, its not like a full size keyboard lol.

lg-ks360-handset-1.jpg

Thats the one ive got.

The phone its self isnt great, but i love the qwerty keyboard =]

Alot of touch screen phones use the qwerty keys too, like the iPhone or the G1.

33283585-2-440-OVR-1.gif

iphone_qwerty_keyboard.jpg

iphone-touchscreen-keypad.jpg

Edited by Kirkatronics

QWERTY here, much faster. Takes a bit of practice (and big hands) to do it one handed but it's do-able. Somene needs to develop a phone with a lanscape QWERTY and the Blackberry keypad for portrait. That'd be perfect :D

QWERTY here, much faster. Takes a bit of practice (and big hands) to do it one handed but it's do-able. Somene needs to develop a phone with a lanscape QWERTY and the Blackberry keypad for portrait. That'd be perfect :D

A bit like that one?

I can do T9 very fast now, or I could until the touchscreen on my phone started playing up. Qwerty is nice on an iPod/iPhone because it has a very good prediction process which solves the difficulty of accuracy, plus you know where the buttons are if you touchtype. I'll never use the abc def style on a phone, that's just so archaic, anyone still using that because 'they can't do their texts the shorthand way they like' is just lazy and stuck in their ways.

I can do T9 very fast now, or I could until the touchscreen on my phone started playing up. Qwerty is nice on an iPod/iPhone because it has a very good prediction process which solves the difficulty of accuracy, plus you know where the buttons are if you touchtype. I'll never use the abc def style on a phone, that's just so archaic, anyone still using that because 'they can't do their texts the shorthand way they like' is just lazy and stuck in their ways.

The reasaon people do it in shorthand is because it made it easier on abc pads, but with the qwerty ones they no longer need to send stupid short hand.

Then again ive always used proper words, it saves time in the end.

A bit like that one?

Found what i was looking for now, Blackberry SureType;

df-st.jpg

Easily the best way of typing one-handed. Someone just needs to find a way to get one of these, a hardware QWERTY keyboard and a touch screen in to a single device while making it smaller than a Nokia E90 :hmm: The only thing i've seen come even close to that is the stupidly long HTC S740

htc-s740.gif

Might actually get one if they do a new version based on the Touch Pro 2/Diamond 2 design.

Edited by McPhee

It does look nice, but a tad long.

The first one seems a better idea than the old method.

I personally can't see myself typing any faster with a QWERTY keypad. Mainly because I would still be typing with my thumbs. It's not like I could transfer my touch typing on a normal keyboard over since it would be completely different hand movements. That means I'd actually have to think about the location of the keys again and I'm not that good at actually looking for keys on a keyboard, I normally just move fingers without thinking/looking, which is something I couldn't do with thumbs. If that makes any sense?

I'd be willing to try a QWERTY phone though.

That HTC thing looks so nice!

Thats just the HTC Touch Pro.

This is the Touch Pro 2:

htc-touch-pro2-hands-on-1.jpg

htc-touch-pro-2-ofc.jpg

OH BABY!

That looks pretty nice. If only those edges were less round...

I personally can't see myself typing any faster with a QWERTY keypad. Mainly because I would still be typing with my thumbs. It's not like I could transfer my touch typing on a normal keyboard over since it would be completely different hand movements. That means I'd actually have to think about the location of the keys again and I'm not that good at actually looking for keys on a keyboard, I normally just move fingers without thinking/looking, which is something I couldn't do with thumbs. If that makes any sense?

I'd be willing to try a QWERTY phone though.

Its faster because rather than having to press a key multiple times, you do it just once.

Like c, you have to press 2 three times. On a qwerty you have to press it once.

Its faster because rather than having to press a key multiple times, you do it just once.

Like c, you have to press 2 three times. On a qwerty you have to press it once.

Although with predictive text, I still only have to press each key once. Sometimes I have to scroll through the words, but I only have to do that a few times per message, if at all.

Thats just the HTC Touch Pro.

It's not a touch pro, minor point

Oh, and I really like one handed predictive text using a keypad, it works well almost all of the time and is quick to do without even looking at the phone

I think QWERTY is great, but you need to get used to it. I would have said T9 before this (without the predictive spelling, it annoys me and my previous phone didn't allow words that weren't added manually to the dictionairy), but I think QWERTY is the future for mobile phones and those that love T9 just haven't adopted it yet.

I like the iPhone's keyboard, though making errors is pretty easy there. I don't use the dictionairy (again, it's implementation isn't preferable: clicking space changes the word, wich means that if there's a word not in the dictionaiory you have to tap it to use it, resulting in a huge slowdown in my opinion).

I think QWERTY is great, but you need to get used to it. I would have said T9 before this (without the predictive spelling, it annoys me and my previous phone didn't allow words that weren't added manually to the dictionairy), but I think QWERTY is the future for mobile phones and those that love T9 just haven't adopted it yet.

I like the iPhone's keyboard, though making errors is pretty easy there. I don't use the dictionairy (again, it's implementation isn't preferable: clicking space changes the word, wich means that if there's a word not in the dictionaiory you have to tap it to use it, resulting in a huge slowdown in my opinion).

Its the same with all predictives, the more you use it the faster and more accurate it becomes.

You only have to add the word once, then it knows.

My phone doesn't have this T9 you're all talking about. :(

Mines just normal phone one, 1=misc, 2=abc etc.

I would have said T9 before this (without the predictive spelling
T9 is predictive spelling.
My phone doesn't have this T9 you're all talking about. :(

Mines just normal phone one, 1=misc, 2=abc etc.

What phone do you have? Must be pretty ancient not to have predictive text, have you checked your text message options?