NEurope
chairdriver

A New 'God' Thread About Stuff

Hmm.

*scores Scientology off religions he might respect*

The words 'religion' and 'respect' don't come up in the same sentence for me - apart from just then of course - I just find it impossible to respect something that seemingly causes so many conflicts...

Of course if religion did not exist then people would find more excuses to start wars but atm a lot of them seem to be because of religion.

Thats not to say that I don't respect people having a belief... I just don't agree with using it as an excuse to start a war or kill people. :/

When people say "I find it hard to believe there is nothing..." and so they vaguely do believe in "something", it annoys me.

I find it hard to beieve there is nothing, but I do. It's terrifying. I hate it. I can't just sort of vaguely go "Oh...there's probably something there because it's incomprehensible otherwise".

That's right, it is incomprehensible, and it's fucking terrifying beyond belief, but who says we're meant to know everything? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not true.

I like this idea that the idea that there is nothing is terrifying. I've never understood it and I don't abide by it. Personally, I hold the idea, either way, in the same regards I do God; neither are relevant to my life. I cannot fathom God, infinity or eternity so why should I be terrified by them. I think there is a beauty to behold, maybe akin to enlightenment, that there really is nothing and that this is all we have; one suspended moment in time in which we live.

Also, the concept of nothing, zero, is an interesting one.

This is actually pretty accurate, if a little exaggerated.

What's worrying is that it's really not very exaggerated...

1: What are YECs

Young Earth Creationists.

I like this idea that the idea that there is nothing is terrifying. I've never understood it and I don't abide by it. Personally, I hold the idea, either way, in the same regards I do God; neither are relevant to my life. I cannot fathom God, infinity or eternity so why should I be terrified by them. I think there is a beauty to behold, maybe akin to enlightenment, that there really is nothing and that this is all we have; one suspended moment in time in which we live.

Also, the concept of nothing, zero, is an interesting one.

I know Chair feels the same way.

I struggle with the idea that I will end. The world as I know it begins when I open my eyes and ends when I close them, every day. To lose that is unfathomable to me.

It's why I really want children. A part of it is my own selfish desire to leave something behind/cling onto life in some way.

It wouldn't be as bad if I could watch life continuing on from death, but...I can't. And I want to tear out my hair and beat my head against the desk everytime I think about it.

I'm with SCG on the respect issue. Except for Buddhism, they have their set of beliefs and aren't out to hurt anyone. Shintoism is also very peaceful, so I respect them too.

I know Chair feels the same way.

I struggle with the idea that I will end. The world as I know it begins when I open my eyes and ends when I close them, every day. To lose that is unfathomable to me.

It's why I really want children. A part of it is my own selfish desire to leave something behind/cling onto life in some way.

It wouldn't be as bad if I could watch life continuing on from death, but...I can't. And I want to tear out my hair and beat my head against the desk everytime I think about it.

There's nothing you can do about it though. When I go to sleep at night I know on the other side of the world people are waking up or, on a larger scale, that across the universe planets continue to spin around stars. I know that before I was born billions of people lived and that after I die billions more will be born. The moments you live in are real and a permanent, at least on a personal level.

Having children isn't going to change any of that. They may hold a memory of you for what is no amount of time, relative to the universe- even humanity, but in the end how is that any different from just dying. I feel that you have to appreciate what you are. To put it in slightly easier terms, the phrase 'I love you' has no meaning in it until you know what 'I' is.

Memento Mori; remember your death.

It's a liberating idea. No?

I'm with SCG on the respect issue. Except for Buddhism, they have their set of beliefs and aren't out to hurt anyone. Shintoism is also very peaceful, so I respect them too.

I don't have anything against any religion that is genuinely peaceful, those two examples you gave I could respect people following those. : peace:

But people that use religions as an excuse to do really horrible things to other people... - wars, killing, torture - I can't respect that, it's just disgusting. :sad:

What makes them different to creationists?

It's just to distinguish them from those who believe that god created the Universe, albeit several billion years ago. Most however, are YEC's.

There's nothing you can do about it though. When I go to sleep at night I know on the other side of the world people are waking up or, on a larger scale, that across the universe planets continue to spin around stars. I know that before I was born billions of people lived and that after I die billions more will be born. The moments you live in are real and a permanent, at least on a personal level.

Having children isn't going to change any of that. They may hold a memory of you for what is no amount of time, relative to the universe- even humanity, but in the end how is that any different from just dying. I feel that you have to appreciate what you are. To put it in slightly easier terms, the phrase 'I love you' has no meaning in it until you know what 'I' is.

Memento Mori; remember your death.

It's a liberating idea. No?

Of course, but It's not like I choose to feel the way I do.

And I don't know what I am or why I am.

Of course, but It's not like I choose to feel the way I do.

And I don't know what I am or why I am.

I was just thinking aloud really. Wasn't having a go or anything.

I wonder why you feel like that. My friend has a real problem with death and he isn't one for God either.

i dont fear death, i mean, when your dead, your dead, so you are totaly unaware of it. i dont fear it because A. its inevitable and B. your not going to care when it happens.

i used to be terrified of nothingness, but then i realised id not be aware of it. the time beforee i was born dosent bother me, so the time after wont either.

Yeah I used to be so cut up about the thought of death. There was a really bad period I had for about a month where I just worked myself up so much, that I couldn't sleep. And I just lay there worrying the hell out of myself. Then I just got over it. You can't avoid death, it's just like that. There's no point in worrying so much and getting yourself so upset when it does nothing.

I don't have anything against any religion that is genuinely peaceful, those two examples you gave I could respect people following those. : peace:

But people that use religions as an excuse to do really horrible things to other people... - wars, killing, torture - I can't respect that, it's just disgusting. :sad:

Those who do that really aren't religious at all. Most religions say that you're not supposed to harm anyone in any way. So I would really call the taliban (sp) muslims. It takes more to be part of a religion than just saying you believe in something. Its how you act towards other people as well.

what i find strange about religion is the contradiction. i mean dosent eh bible say an eye for an eye at one point, but turn the outher cheek at anouther?

what i find strange about religion is the contradiction. i mean dosent eh bible say an eye for an eye at one point, but turn the outher cheek at anouther?

Different parts were written in different times by different cultures. A lot of it was lost in translation, so it must be interpreted, especially the earlier parts of it.

Different parts were written in different times by different cultures. A lot of it was lost in translation, so it must be interpreted, especially the earlier parts of it.

Theres not really much that can be lost in the translation of that.

One says revenge is good, one says revenge is bad.

I was just thinking aloud really. Wasn't having a go or anything.

I wonder why you feel like that. My friend has a real problem with death and he isn't one for God either.

If im interpretting Paj's words correctly im kind of along the same lines as him. The thought of ceasing to exist is disheartening in a way. I don't really believe in the afterlife, and perhaps life would be easier if I did, but just believing that the end is the end is scary. But no point worrying about the future and ignoring the present.

I've always liked the idea of re-incarnation and just being able to see what the future holds in that regard. But again, don't believe in it.

(and likewise, this is thinking outloud mostly).

One thing that I've always wondered, are you a hypocrite for being someone who believes in god when you clearly don't or are we an age where atheist and christian doesn't mean a conflict of beliefs has to wreck a relationship?

I'm surprisingly optomistic and care-free/lazy for how shit some the cards life's dealt me are. Obviously they could be worse, starving children, AIDs etc. But yeah. In my universe, I have to take care of no.1, so things are a bit more important when they concern my own person.

That said, I feel like I'm only "inwardly selfish". It might come across that I'm self centered and uncaring, but not at all, when others are concerned. In fact, I think I need a distraction at all times of some sort, so other people are a perfect thing to occupy my time with. Caring for them, listening to them, being with them. I also like my own company however, as I find people are dissapointing more often than not.

I dunno. I'm obsessed with life. Virginia Woolf's writing, David Lynch, the psyche, trying to understand/analyse our everyday lives.

But in the end, does it mean anything? I mean, we can mostly agree that a bearded old man isn't going to pick me up to let me bounce around cloud palaces and visit my family in spirit form when I die. The thought of the lack of my own mind in the universe (that really only exists in my mind) is so terrifying my blood goes a little bit cold if I go on about/think about it too much.

Some people are obviously very matter of fact about it. That's great. I just don't/can't feel that way.

I'm scared that if I reach old age (I have a feeling that I won't...I can't visualise myself as an adult) these feelings won't have gone, and I'll still be as torn up as I am now. What do I do? Pretend to be religious? Make myself believe it, hoping my senile brain will forget my fears. Agh. I just anticipate myself rolling around on the floor crying when I know I'm going to die (if I got a disease or whatever).

Worst thing of all...what can I do with my life? I have no talent like singing or acting (really) to do something like that, which what I really love. I'd love ot be able to make music or movies, but atm I don't know anything about either/ can't, and as an artist, I'm pretty shit compared to others I'm competing against for a place at art college and then jobs after. Not to mention a supreme lack of confidence in my own abilities.

I want a purpose in life. But I think I'll just drift along, until I die, however impossible it is to me.

[/outpour]

Edited by Paj!

One thing that I've always wondered, are you a hypocrite for being someone who believes in god when you clearly don't or are we an age where atheist and christian doesn't mean a conflict of beliefs has to wreck a relationship?

Was that meant to be "being with someone who believes in god"?

If so. Not really. Each person can have their own beliefs. One of my married friends (/my unofficial family I've adopted myself into) consist of a Christian wife and an atheist husband. A healthy relationship should be able to handle differences in opinion. It can be a (passionate) dicussion point sure, but if it wrecks a relationship I'd say there wasn't much of a relationship to be wrecked anyway.

the end is scary.

Why? What's the reasoning behind it being scary?

I'm not saying there isn't one or criticizing. I just want to know what makes you and Paj think like that.

I think I've explained why I don't think it is. Hopefully it makes sense.

I mean in a relationship...just I ask because I've been seeing a girl who is religious and she admits to it freely and says she doesn't preach and get fanantic about it doesn't make it any less her belief. She mentioned this because we know a girl who I have had conflicts with in the past because she is very religious and preaches to people about it.

I'm not saying there isn't one or criticizing. I just want to know what makes you and Paj think like that.

Because the universe is me.

Like I said, if I could watch the universe go on without me once I died, like a film, I'd deal with death. But I can't and that feels like wrists straining against leather straps on a gurney or something. Unbearably painful.

I assume it'll have some psychiatric diagnosis/name.

Because I enjoy life. I don't want it to end. I know it has to so I'm not going to try and fight it (other than maybe some mid-life crisis) but I dunno...I'd imagine it will be filled with regret. As many "things I wish to do before I die" activities I could check off a list (of which I've not made fyi) I feel it will never be enough. And yeah it's how you look at it; you can spend your life worrying about death or you can live it / you can enjoy what you do rather than what you don't. But hmm, as easy as it is to see the logical its not always as easy to follow it.

And I think it ties into my control freak nature. I don't like not being in control and death is something I can't control (other than suicide of course but I will not be doing that because again, I want to carry on living and experiencing).