N-Europe

iPod Touch Abroad

Jav_NE

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch for when i go travelling later this year, but i have some questions.

I will be in lots of countries; Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and China included. I want to use the Touch for wi-fi and accessing iTunes to download movies and whatever else.

So how does that work? If i get the Touch from the UK, can i use wi-fi for free in those countries? Can i access iTunes stores via wi-fi in those countries too? (i wont have a laptop or computer with me).

Or on the flip side, is it better to get the Touch from abroad? I will be China for a long time so if i get one there, will it avoid any problems? What about when i come back to the UK, will i be able to use the wi-fi and UK iTunes store here?

It's all very confusing! Any help would be appreciated :)

I'm assuming that Wi-Fi is just standard Wi-Fi (i.e. like Laptops and DS). If so then you should be able to connect to any free wireless hotspots.

I think the store is built into the iPod, so that may be a problem with one from China (I'm not sure about that, though).

Yeah, we will be in main cities some of the time so that should be fine. That's cool.

Concerned about the store though, i dont want to get one and then go over there and not be able to access any store. Dont mind what store it is so long as i can get to one.

You should be able to access the UK store no bother. You can access any store you like on the PC if you have a valid CC and address from that country, i can't see the Touch being any different. Best answer would be to eMail Apple's support and ask, though they might not give you a straight answer. If not then try asking over at iLounge, i'm sure someone will have tried it before.

Also, when is it you're heading over there? I'm heading the Thailand in the summer, then probably North through Laos to Vietnam and then south to Cambodia. Finances depending i might see if i can fit some other countries in as well.

You should be able to access the UK store no bother. You can access any store you like on the PC if you have a valid CC and address from that country, i can't see the Touch being any different. Best answer would be to eMail Apple's support and ask, though they might not give you a straight answer. If not then try asking over at iLounge, i'm sure someone will have tried it before.

Also, when is it you're heading over there? I'm heading the Thailand in the summer, then probably North through Laos to Vietnam and then south to Cambodia. Finances depending i might see if i can fit some other countries in as well.

Yeah, i think i might drop them a line just to see what they say about it.

I'm leaving in June, will be in Thailand for a few weeks so will probably miss you. We then go into Cambodia, up to Vietnam and then to China. Not sure when we'll get to Vietnam but, who knows, could be the same time as you!

I'm leaving in June, will be in Thailand for a few weeks so will probably miss you. We then go into Cambodia, up to Vietnam and then to China. Not sure when we'll get to Vietnam but, who knows, could be the same time as you!

Yeah, you'll be long gone from Thailand by the time i get there. Planning on leaving my job at the end of June, then i've got tickets for Blur in Hyde Park on the 3rd July so it'll be some time after that. Current plan is to be in Bangkok for a week from around the 12th, then Cambodia for a few days (2 in Phnom Penh, 1 at Angkor), another day or so to travel up to Hanoi. I should be there from around the 24th. It's a bit of a whistle-stop tour, especially if i plan on getting the Trans-Siberian railway back (money dependant, and it means swapping Laos for Bejing). I'm aiming to be in Budapest by the 12th August for Sziget festival.

I've not got a huge amount of time to squeeze it all in really. My Uni course starts mid-August and each thing i add to the "To Do" list cuts in to that limited time a bit more. Sziget takes a week, the TS Railway another 6 days, flights take another day. That's 2 weeks gone before i even consider what i want to see while i'm there.