N-Europe

Miyamoto Was Sad During GameCube Era

Dante

I'll put it this way. My favourite game of the last decade is Mario Galaxy. I fucking LOVE that game. Why isn't there more like this on the Wii? It looks beautiful, it sounded astounding, the level design was perfect and the mechanics were awesome! Why not more like this?

Muramasa: The Demon Blade? Which comes out in 2010 ¬_¬

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be an arse because i'm not... :-/

I'm pretty much sick that certain gamers tell how they represent whole gamerhood, and how games that the play are more precious than the games that others play. I hate how people think that they belong into some kind of cultivated intellectual elite because they play Halo 3 or Bioshock or whatever. Even worse is when same people think that they are actually better human beings thanks to this.

Guest Jordan
Muramasa: The Demon Blade? Which comes out in 2010 ¬_¬

Yeah, whats with the 2010 release? Nuts...

I'm pretty much sick that certain gamers tell how they represent whole gamerhood, and how games that the play are more precious than the games that others play. I hate how people think that they belong into some kind of cultivated intellectual elite because they play Halo 3 or Bioshock or whatever. Even worse is when same people think that they are actually better human beings thanks to this.

I'd have to agree. I'm not one of these kinds of people. I play a system if i like the games on it, not because I'm sucking the teat of a manufacturer.

Maybe I came across a little arsey, but I can't help but feel... Left out, let down, put outside. What ever you want to call it. One of my favourite games last year, was the criminally unappreciated Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. That game is just, pure genius on a disc. On the other side of the scale, I was playing Peggle today on XBOX Live Arcade. If either of these were on the Wii, i'd be playing it there. Or the PS3... Or whatever.

Like I say, I'm in it for the games no matter where they are. But having invested hundreds (or even thousands) of pounds in Nintendo products over the years. Its a little upsetting how things are becoming and I really hope we get an olive branch in July.

I'll put it this way. My favourite game of the last decade is Mario Galaxy. I fucking LOVE that game. Why isn't there more like this on the Wii? It looks beautiful, it sounded astounding, the level design was perfect and the mechanics were awesome! Why not more like this?

Because its been in the works during 1 entire gen! Of course it's awesome, it always is (OoT, MP).

Nintendo has always been a company of not just giving people what they want, or at least not what they think they want.

This causes a lot of frustration, but I think gamers are better of in the long run. Perhaps what caused the most forum outrage last generation was the annoucement of cel-shaded Zelda and the new Metroid turning into a first person shooter by a western developer. In hindsight it seems Nintendo knew what they were doing as they both became hardcore classics.

Nintendo has always been a company of not just giving people what they want, or at least not what they think they want.

This causes a lot of frustration, but I think gamers are better of in the long run. Perhaps what caused the most forum outrage last generation was the annoucement of cel-shaded Zelda and the new Metroid turning into a first person shooter by a western developer. In hindsight it seems Nintendo knew what they were doing as they both became hardcore classics.

Too true, really we should be patient like what i'm doing as such. One day, Ninty will pull through for the hardcore gamers like us here and keep us happy, and annoy the party gamers in the way we are annoyed now.

In all honesty, I think gamers are making a huge song and dance over very little. There's been complaints about their focus on casual gamers, yet we have seen Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which basically took melee and added a dozen other ideas, scoring it a 10/10 in lastability) and Super Mario Galaxy, which are three of the best games of this generation so far. They're great games, and there are many more out there. These are just three games which I think stand out.

There's been some great little gems too, which have been criminally underselling, because gamers have spent far too long moaning about the lack of games, instead of getting off their backsides and showing some love to these other titles. The games are there.

In all honesty, I think gamers are making a huge song and dance over very little. There's been complaints about their focus on casual gamers, yet we have seen Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which basically took melee and added a dozen other ideas, scoring it a 10/10 in lastability) and Super Mario Galaxy, which are three of the best games of this generation so far. They're great games, and there are many more out there. These are just three games which I think stand out.

There's been some great little gems too, which have been criminally underselling, because gamers have spent far too long moaning about the lack of games, instead of getting off their backsides and showing some love to these other titles. The games are there.

2 of those were released in 07 and smash almost half a year ago i would think now..

Nobody is denying these games but christ they released plenty more in these timeframes in the gamecube era and that was a much worse time for them..

I wasn't sad at all during the GameCube era. It was a period of artistic and technical brilliance, which really started with Mario Sunshine/Wind Waker and ended the day they announced Twilight Princess would be delayed (yeah, sorry to bring it up, but I strongly believe it).

Which years were these? "The N64 and the era after it," Miyamoto responds. "I was endlessly fascinated with 3D worlds...

That is why those two machines were brilliant.

The core concept of the DS was a pretty far-out idea even by Nintendo standards. "Doing that would make the system larger and essentially double the price," Miyamoto said.

The single-screen alternative would have been a much better machine. Imagine playing a 2D Metroid on an ergonomic handheld, with all the money going into graphics and processing power (or just a cheaper price tag).

2 of those were released in 07 and smash almost half a year ago i would think now..

Nobody is denying these games but christ they released plenty more in these timeframes in the gamecube era and that was a much worse time for them..

Yeah, they've been released by now, but these are games that will last. Will gamers still be playing Halo 3 by the time the fourth comes out? I don't know.

There have been other games, but like Dante says, where are the third parties? Looking back to the N64, Nintendo had Rare to deliver games like Goldeneye, which did things that Nintendo didn't do. That's exactly what third parties are there for. To fill in the gaps, and to attempt things that may not be within Nintendo's style. To reach people which maybe Nintendo have not quite reached. All third parties are doing at the moment, is either very little or jumping on the bandwagon.

Consider the games Nintendo have released, and consider the ones which they have not released. That being said, there's plenty of time for games like Pikmin, F zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong, a new Zelda and a few others to make an appearance. Given the way that the Wii has been going, they don't exactly need to be in a rush to get these games out fast. In which case, it's up to third parties to provide something. What the fuck have Capcom and Konami been up to?

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Red Steel

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Wii Sports

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Excite Truck

Kororinpa: Marble Mania

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Eledees

Mario Strikers Charged

Metal Slug Anthology

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Endless Ocean

Super Mario Galaxy

Dewy's Adventure

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Battalion Wars 2

No More Heroes

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Mario Kart Wii

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Boom Blox

Ōkami

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Soulcalibur Legends

De Blob

Wario Land: Shake It!

Deadly Creatures

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Trauma Center: New Blood

Wii Music

Animal Crossing: City Folk

Enough there for me, and I obviously haven't even played half of those. Add that to the games releasing this year.

Guest Jordan
Yeah, they've been released by now, but these are games that will last. Will gamers still be playing Halo 3 by the time the fourth comes out? I don't know.

Considering Halo 2 is still the top most played XBOX1 game on Live and Halo 3 is consistently in the top 4 most played games on Live.

... In fact its number one this week.

I'd say yes.

There have been other games, but like Dante says, where are the third parties? Looking back to the N64, Nintendo had Rare to deliver games like Goldeneye, which did things that Nintendo didn't do. That's exactly what third parties are there for. To fill in the gaps, and to attempt things that may not be within Nintendo's style. To reach people which maybe Nintendo have not quite reached. All third parties are doing at the moment, is either very little or jumping on the bandwagon.

Consider the games Nintendo have released, and consider the ones which they have not released. That being said, there's plenty of time for games like Pikmin, F zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong, a new Zelda and a few others to make an appearance. Given the way that the Wii has been going, they don't exactly need to be in a rush to get these games out fast. In which case, it's up to third parties to provide something. What the fuck have Capcom and Konami been up to?

it's true but otherwise this is also nintendos problem.. The gamecube had a third party problem too hell the n64 had the worst one but there was always that one nintendo game to look forward to.. That big one you know..

what is there now? Can you honestly name me one massive nintendo title in the near future?

theres very little if anything.. All they are releasing at the moment is remakes of gamecube titles.. NIntendo have become their own worst enemy here.

it's true but otherwise this is also nintendos problem.. The gamecube had a third party problem too hell the n64 had the worst one but there was always that one nintendo game to look forward to.. That big one you know..

what is there now? Can you honestly name me one massive nintendo title in the near future?

theres very little if anything.. All they are releasing at the moment is remakes of gamecube titles.. NIntendo have become their own worst enemy here.

At the moment, third parties seemed to have stepped up their game, somewhat. We've got Madworld soon, we've just had House of the Dead: Overkill, and there's The Conduit on the horizon. As such, there isn't a big big Nintendo title on the way. So, this really is filler time. The next big one according to Nintendo would probably be the next WiiSports. But, you and I know that they've always got something big waiting. Wouldn't surprise me if they showed some footage of the next Zelda or something in the next few months, for example.

As for Nintendo becoming their own worst enemy, that's probably true. But, I guess, at the moment...they kinda can afford to be. What Nintendo need is some dangerous competition (if Microsoft and Sony steppeed it up over nine thousaaaand) and that'll cause them to get stuff done quicker. Give Nintendo a lead, and they'll relax.

Yeah, it's funny how easily people forget. The latter half of the Gamecube era was awful. There were basically no triple-A Nintendo games the last two years prior to Wii.

Nintendo games released in the US between November 19, 2004 - November 19, 2006 (Wii launch):

Battalion Wars

Chibi-Robo!

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Donkey Konga 2

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Geist

Mario Party 6

Mario Party 7

Mario Superstar Baseball

Odama

Pokemon XD

Star Fox: Assault

Super Mario Strikers

So then, to put this into perspective, the Wii came out and Nintendo gave us Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii within a year and a half... Nintendo abandoning the hardcore with Wii, eh?

Edited by Ren of Heavens

'' If Nintendo's games fail to sell billions of copies each like Wii Play and Nintendogs, then it shows that the creation process is for nothing, which made me very sad. That was especially obvious during the GameCube era; Nintendo titles were hardly even purchased by the [non-gaming] general public back then."

Fixed for accuracy. Look, he was sad because Nintendo developed and/or published excellent games that resulted in mediocre sales due to marketing them with a purple cube. But this whole interview, hes trying to fault the games themselves which were brilliant more often than not.

Is this the same sadness that provoked the relaunch of Gamecube games for Play on Wii? Whatever you say, Miya!

Yeah, it's funny how easily people forget. The latter half of the Gamecube era was awful. There were basically no triple-A Nintendo games the last two years prior to Wii.

Nintendo games released in the US between November 19, 2004 - November 19, 2006 (Wii launch):

Battalion Wars

Chibi-Robo!

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Donkey Konga 2

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Geist

Mario Party 6

Mario Party 7

Mario Superstar Baseball

Odama

Pokemon XD

Star Fox: Assault

Super Mario Strikers

So then, to put this into perspective, the Wii came out and Nintendo gave us Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii within a year and a half... Nintendo abandoning the hardcore with Wii, eh?

for a dying console that was still an impressive amount of games. gamecube however had some very quality(although limited) titles to back that up. Wii doesn't seem to have much of that at all.

Nintendo: "Lets put out are best games quicky so that the 3rd parties will fill out the missing caps in next year"

Nintendo in late 08: "What are the 3rd parties doing! :|"

The sad truth!

Before, Nintendo were much more keen on being the best. When Goldeneye got released, it was a square kick in the scrotum towards all developers on the face of the planet, because it was the best FPS out there!

When Zelda:OoT got released, Nintendo gamers were laughing their ass off when PSOne players were claiming that Medievil was worth two shits, and when they said that cartridges can't fit good games.

When Nintendo released 1080, all other extreme sports games out there seemed to have been developed in scrotumville, by someones bowel bacterial flora.

When Excitebike 64 was released, there was no better motocross game out there.

When people wanted MGS, Nintendo MADE SURE we'd get MGS. When Capcom didn't want to release a scratch made RE game for the N64, Nintendo ordered Eternal Darkness (even though it did get released at a time when Capcom wanted to release GC exclusive remakes of ALL RE games, and a bunch of scratch made ones).

Nintendo are slacking. Sure, we're looking forward to Sin and Punishment 2, and Nintendo now have an official idea to not announce games until right before release, but we haven't actually seen that many mindblowing games.

Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime are the only ones I can come up with at the moment.

A company selling hardware can't go "and now we'll do what we wanna do, and then other companies will do the other stuff for us", which is what Nintendo have done now.

People keep claiming that Nintendo are being innovative, but really?

A company selling hardware can't go "and now we'll do what we wanna do, and then other companies will do the other stuff for us", which is what Nintendo have done now.

Actually they can, and this is how it has worked in the past for all winning consoles. The problem is that it is taken more than two years, over billion dollar in losses, and recession for 3rd parties to realize that Wii isn't fad and there is no great comeback for HD-consoles.

People keep claiming that Nintendo are being innovative, but really?

Throwing money randonmly and bribing development to get exclusives is hardly innovative. It is archaic, expensive, and proven to have no effect on console performance, although butthurt fanboys want to think otherwise. They think that pissing 6 billion dollars a'la Sony into air is innovative and sustainable.

That Nintendo has been able to create strategy where its competition doesn't practically matter, that is innovative. With few well placed maneuvers, they have turned market upside down, and made people who thought they knew the market look and act like fools. Nintendo's strategy is already used as a case in better universities, and it will be studied for years to come.

Edited by Teppo Holmqvist

Really wish some people would stop saying Nintendo has nothing hardcore in the works. Can't they realise that just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just look at games like Excitebots. If we go by their logic, its only just started being developed for release next month