NEurope
Dan_Dare

Halo Wars

Hmm. Couldn't find a thread for this one

Demo is up on XBL now.

anyone played it? thoughts! opinions!

go!

Went in to my local indie retailer and the guy was playing it, to my surprise. Looked good from what I could tell, but won't be able to get at my 360 until tomorrow. Boo!

Just finished playing it. It's enjoyable, well made etc, I like the base being restricted to a single area and the hold-A way of selecting troops is good. But... I've just further solidified the idea that I don't like RTS games on a console. Also, what's with RTS games making you zoom in so far these days? You can zoom out but even when you do, it's not far enough. It's because of all the effort they've gone into to put good detail on your characters....

I downloaded it this morning and only managed to take it for a 5 minute spin and just randomly picked a mode so didn't know what I was doing. Will play it properly later.

I really enjoyed the demo. I spent forever on the 2nd demo mission building up my troops for ages before taking out the final base.

Skirmish is awesome and the fully upgraded units are strong as hell. I can't believe I liked it. I am a pretty old school 'hardcore' PC RTS player and the controls really work.

Have to admit this isn't that bad. I've only been playing the Skirmish mode and just trying to pick up what to do, an subsequently not doing too well, but it's pretty good fun. Not sure if I'll buy the final game or not but it's definitely something I'd pick up later down the line.

I really enjoyed the demo. I spent forever on the 2nd demo mission building up my troops for ages before taking out the final base.

Skirmish is awesome and the fully upgraded units are strong as hell. I can't believe I liked it. I am a pretty old school 'hardcore' PC RTS player and the controls really work.

After playing alot of RA3 on 360 recently, this just doesn't really feel that fun by comparison. There's just not as much freedom, speed or unit variety as far as i can tell. Considering that RA is currently hovering around 20 quid in stores that's a hell of an issue.

Something about this doesn't sit right with me. It looks like Halo, it kind of sounds like Halo, but it's also painfully obvious that it isn't made by Bungie. It's so... dry. It's an impersonation rather than a personality.

Still, it seemed like a decent enough strategy game. I'm pretty rubbish at RTS games so I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I had an okay time with the demo. I'm sure it'll have its fans.

What he said.

Something about this doesn't sit right with me. It looks like Halo, it kind of sounds like Halo, but it's also painfully obvious that it isn't made by Bungie. It's so... dry. It's an impersonation rather than a personality.

Still, it seemed like a decent enough strategy game. I'm pretty rubbish at RTS games so I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I had an okay time with the demo. I'm sure it'll have its fans.

What he said.

I thought it was ok, I actually preffered it to RA3 although I only played the demo of that, I do agree in general however that these kind of games work best with a mouse.

It seems like a standard RPG.

I'm not quite sure what the big deal is about the controls is about, either. I've not played any console RPG games before so perhaps all console RTS games before this had retards making the controls (as a three year old could design them...which is actually a good thing).

I love the Skirmish mode.

Played through it with both unsc and covenant on heroic.

Love the covenant scarab and prophet :)

Gonna be awesome in co-op online :)

Not at all interested in this. Still can't believe they put the Halo brand on an RTS. What's next, Gear Wars?

Anyway, general opinion amongst folk here who do like RTS's say its not bad. Although my mate Henrie did get to one part where she had to keep moving her troops millimeters, literally millimeters, for an objective to register. Sounds fiddly =/

@ Jav - I have to admit I felt like you, in that I couldn't believe they had put the Halo name to an RTS, in the beginning. But after playing it I found it to be good fun. And Halo actually works as an RTS as it feels more like the sci-fi war title than the FPS' do purely because the number of units that can now be on screen makes it feel more like you're controlling an army.

Personally, I can't wait to get the final game. It's out on the same day as Killzone 2 so it's gonna be a tough decision on which to get but I'm looking forward to playing more of this and to also find out more of the background story to Halo from the title.

^ If that's the case then it's likely you could get it tomorrow as they are pretty swift at sending it out from the postage centres with UPS. Just don't expect it in the morning. I had to wait until 6pm to get mine delivered when the place was only 40mins away tops.

Anyways, bought Halo Wars today. Looking forward to delving into it as I really liked the demo, and for me to like an RTS game is quite rare. Cutscenes look amazing though. Imagine if Halo 3 had turned out like that.

I'm loving the cutscenes at the beginning. Really well done. Although the major Cutter or whatever his name is has a striking resemblance to Snake in MGS4. I'm enjoying it so far. It's not as intense as the FPS titles but it's keeps you on your toes enough to resemble the Halo experience. Just done the 3rd mission. Was kinda cool going through the place with just two tanks and just blowing all the grunts and elites up.

Im on the last mission now and the game is pretty meh to be honest. You will love the cutscene after mission 14 though :)

may enjoy it more if you werent playing it on easy? :idea:

The 4th mission really pissed me off

Got through to the last 30 seconds before the ships took off and for some reason they got attacked and my units didn't do anything