NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

Oh I forgot to note the negatives. Really the only bad thing is the outdoors theming (apart from chain/drop).

There is one concrete ditch, and all they need to do is fill it with blood or something and it would be great, but thats really the only bad thing on the whole ride. its a shame as with that bit done it'd be perfect. Still very impressive though.

I hate you Rez. Now I've gone and looked up Thorpe Park and discovered it's within a reasonable distance. Now I have to go but I'm not sure anyone I know will actually want to go. Gad Zukes what a predicament!

If these are real Merlin are amazing. With Saw they released similar videos, so these are likely true. Viral marketing videos to promote the 2010 roller coaster.

The back story is these videos were sent to a "local historian" to Alton Towers.

Have fun hax. :)

-------

Another strange YouTube. Nothing interesting, but a short video past three days running.

Thorpe Park tomorrow! :D I actually can't wait. Last time I went I was very young and petrified of thrill rides. Now everything has changed and fuck me I've got a lot to look forward to :D

Battlestar Gallactica Duelling Roller Coasters

Opening at Universal Singapore.

imgp0069x.jpg

imgp0068.jpg

edmjune_03.jpg

Red = family steel coaster, black = intense inverted coaster.

They are building the worlds fastest roller coaster at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi... supposedly said to reach speeds around 150mph.

They are building the worlds fastest roller coaster at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi... supposedly said to reach speeds around 150mph.

RUMMMOOOUUURRRRSSSSS. Not confirmed yet. But its looking likely. The track is a new kind of track, supposedly the most durable track the company has ever made. IE designed for MEGA G's. Pics;

201004_192.jpg

ferrari-world-11-big_100_159.jpg

Battlestar Gallactica Duelling Roller Coasters

MOTHER!!?!!?!?

I'm so ready to board a viper/raptor.

MOTHER!!?!!?!?

I'm so ready to board a viper/raptor.

Going to Singapore anytime soon? ;)

One thing we really need in this country is more wooden coasters. Look at the coasters GCI have built in Europe - Thunderbird at Powerland (Powerpark), Troy at Toverland and El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn. All have had fantastic reviews. Then look at all the fantastic coasters they've built in the USA. It's absolute insanity the UK parks don't see the value in these.

One thing we really need in this country is more wooden coasters. Look at the coasters GCI have built in Europe - Thunderbird at Powerland (Powerpark), Troy at Toverland and El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn. All have had fantastic reviews. Then look at all the fantastic coasters they've built in the USA. It's absolute insanity the UK parks don't see the value in these.

Strongest rumour is Thorpe are building one on the infilled land next to Stealth. Few years off though (assuming they do)

Alton were going to do one, but was scrapped due to....amount of trees they had to knock down I believe.

Strongest rumour is Thorpe are building one on the infilled land next to Stealth. Few years off though (assuming they do)

Alton were going to do one, but was scrapped due to....amount of trees they had to knock down I believe.

Yep, Alton have designed loads over the years. Air is actually built to a wooden coaster design (obviously without the inversions). The "valley woodie" that you mention was enormous and would have required a great many trees to be cut down, 14 of which were protected, I think that was one of the biggest problems.

Then there was another woodie designed for Ug Land, as well as various family-sized woodies around the park. None of them actually got built of course.

I can see one at Thorpe sometime, especially now they seem to have downscaled their coasters a lot (in terms of the actual cost of the ride before theming), but what I'd really love is some 80-100ft woodies at the small and medium-sized parks like Pleasurewood Hills, Pleasure Island etc, as well as Flamingo Land, Drayton Manor etc.

Erm....Air isn't based on a Wooden coasters design at all...

Construction has started on the 2010 Alton Coaster. :)

web2.jpg

So this is going directly on the Corkscrew site is it?... quite a small site.

Yeah directly on there, but with indoor elements, switch backs (train reversing along a different path) and also goes out into the woods, zooming past trees. :)

Erm....Air isn't based on a Wooden coasters design at all...

It is. Didn't you get John Wardley's "Alton Beast" RCT file back in 2000?

No.......but Its just not feasible. The whole ride was designed, down to the last tee to give the feeling of flying. It was a new concept, new track for a new type of roller coaster. It may have been similar to a wooden coaster....but its a coaster...there'll be similarities.

Nah, my point is that Alton Towers design the general layout for a "roller coaster" in various parts of the park. With that area, they know where they want the lift hill, the brake run etc, whatever type of coaster it ends up being.

Air's L-shape with a figure-eight was always going to be the basis for a coaster there. They experimented with a wooden coaster idea. Air, of course, is the result of B&M tweaking the park's design and fitting in their flying coaster there.

Chessington have released their plans for next year. Retheme of Beanoland and addition of a Disk-O Coaster. Looks to themed around snakes/temple/kind of thing.

Aaaah, I forgot about this thread! I (finally) went to Thorpe Park the other week, was fucking wicked! Went on pretty much all the coasters, including Saw, which is just pure awesomeness! I highly recommend it! :grin:

Fire at Alton Skyride. Again.

Isolated fire at the Alton Towers Resort.

Alton Towers Resort can confirm that there has been a fire in the Cloud Cuckoo Land Skyride station on the Park. The fire broke out at around 10.30pm last night when there were no employees or guests present. The station has been destroyed and the ride will therefore not reopen for the foreseeable future.

There will be cosmetic alterations to the Park tomorrow as certain areas will have to be fenced off during the fire service investigation into the cause of the fire.

The Park will be open as normal from 10am with some rides open for early ride time at 9am.