NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

I'm a bit crap at rating things on a scale so here is my top 5 in no particular order:

Air (Alton Towers)

Space Mountain (Euro Disney)

Indiana Jones (Euro Disney)

Oblivion (Alton Towers) It's a 1 trick pony, but what a trick!

Rita (Alton Towers) I just loved the acceleration.

ReZ are you leaving us hanging on 14? lol. Love the detail by the way.

Best ride I've been on was called The Claw @ Dreamworld, Australia. ''Most powerful pendulum on earth'', it was awesome, just really fun.

Followed by the usual Air, Nemesis and Oblivion.

Scariest ride probably was Giant Drop, again at Dreamworld. It's the tallest free fall ride in the world, basically just a massive tower, you go up to the top, it leaves you there hanging for an unknown length of time before dropping you right back down. Terrifying.

I might make a list at some point, but sadly I haven't been on that many rollercoasters yet.

Space Mountain used to be one of my favourites I think (but that might also be because it was probably one of my first, I think), but the new version of it just doesn't seem as cool to me. I think I preferred the old version (with the smiling moon and stuff). Anyone else feel this way?

Whats the new version like? Didn't realise there was one to be honest.

13) Runaway Minetrain - Alton Towers

train.jpg

Technically not as good as Big Thunder Mountain, but its theming is still excellent, its smaller and more intense, with good tunnels, and a good location, which pushes it above its rival.

12) Colossus - Thorpe Park

Tp_colossus.jpg

100ft high, great drops, and of course ten inversions. Theming is average, but still good in places, a good head chopper, nicely nestled, and quite intense. Atmospheric in the great station building also.

11) Spinball Whizzer - Alton Towers

altontowers_Spinball%20Whizzer.jpg

Fast, furious, spinny, fun. Surpisingly well themed, with a nice colour scheme and pinbally elements, really does make you feel like a pinball.

10) Vampire - Chessington

vampiremain1.jpg

Great station, swinging train, great scenery and drops, tunnels, thrilling, fast, reasonably long, weaving in and out of buildings and bushs, with a good queue line.

9) Oblivion - Alton Towers

oblivion9.jpg

A fantastic and psycholigocally challenging drop into the unknown. Hugely thrilling. A real shame it has only that one element, or it would be a lot higher.

8) The Pepsi Max Big One - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

518420536_44febc5653.jpg?v=0

235ft high. Very long. Not really anything special apart from that, but its height and length make it great and enjoyable.

7) Dragons Fury - Chessington

chessington31.jpg

Insanely awesome. The curving on the track is probably the best of any coaster I've been on, weaving in and out gives it enormous fluidty and spinning cars give it an unpredictability, and on a particular element, a tight helix, the spinning of the car is extremely satisfying.

6) Rita - Alton Towers

at69.jpg

Very nice launch, curving and sweeping of the track, tight but long bends. A really nice fast paced ride.

5) Nemesis - Alton Towers

aaa_nemesis_01b.JPG

A masterpiece of a ride. Weaving in and out of the quarry, hugging the scenery, and itself as a ride, great theming, a true nightmarish thrilling ride.

4) Air - Alton Towers

95785106_378f45212d.jpg?v=0

Clean, futuristic ish, and the smoothest experience, literally liquid...or air. Brilliantly peaceful as a ride, utterly enjoyable to experience the comfortable sensation of flying.

3) Stealth - Thorpe Park

stealth30.jpeg

0-80mph in under 1.8 seconds (ish) and 200ft high. Completely mind blowing. A real real shame that, that is all it does. Like Oblivion, a one trick pony. Just happens to be an insanely great trick.

2) Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park

800px-Nemesisinferno.JPG

I love rides that have an element before the chain pull or the main drop, and Nemesis Inferno has one of the best starts to a standard (non launched) coaster, dipping with a great line into a mist filled volcanic tunnel, before climbing 100feet and feeling like you're being shot around like lava. I love it. Great station theming, and volcanic feel around the whole ride.

1) Rock N Roller Coaster - Disneyland Paris

4618.jpg

Inside, with darkness, lights, music, smoke effects, a launch, two giant corkscrews that are SO FREAKING SWEET, feels like your going crazy/are completely high. An utterly immersive and raving heart pelting exciting speedy head trip. Fantastic. The future of coasters will be all about the extra sensory elements, and this ride did it years ago. Immense.

Edited by ReZourceman

Whats the new version like? Didn't realise there was one to be honest.

They removed all the elements inside like the moon and meteors and stuff and replaced them with screens that show ehhh, explosions and a bit of space stuff I think. I don't even remember -what- they show as it's just not as good.

And ReZ, the Rock'n'Rollercoaster is indeed very very awesome! =D

Never been on the Paris Space Mountain. Been on the original in Florida though, bit of a classic, very rickety but you can't beat the classics in some respects.

Rock N' Roller Coaster is a bit of a meh one for me. Not been on the Paris one, but I doubt the Florida one is much different. It's very tight and exilherating, but not really, as you can't see anything. The best bit is the start. It's also REALLY short. IIRC.

I prefer Thunder Mountain/Expedition Everest. More interesting/successful theming.

ReZ are you leaving us hanging on 14? lol. Love the detail by the way.

Yeah I pressed return, assuming it would....you know give me a new line, but alas it posted. I was sigh. Ohwell, a good mid point and everyone loves a cliff hanger.

Scariest ride probably was Giant Drop, again at Dreamworld. It's the tallest free fall ride in the world, basically just a massive tower, you go up to the top, it leaves you there hanging for an unknown length of time before dropping you right back down. Terrifying.

*Did not know you had been on that*

Apocalypse at Drayton Manor is pretty terrifying, and Giant Drop is practically double that. Massive kudos.

Rock N' Roller Coaster is a bit of a meh one for me. Not been on the Paris one, but I doubt the Florida one is much different. It's very tight and exilherating, but not really, as you can't see anything. The best bit is the start. It's also REALLY short. IIRC.

(Space Mountain US, and Paris are completely different) just as a fact.

Rock N Roller are identical, apart from theming, Paris is supposedly far superior, and adds to the immersiveness.

Expedition Everest is one of my most wanted to go on rides. Looks AMAZING. I hope Altons 2010 takes a few leaves out of its book.

Somewhat interestingly here is a near clone of what Rock N Roller is, but outside obviously.

p19131.jpg

*Did not know you had been on that*

Apocalypse at Drayton Manor is pretty terrifying, and Giant Drop is practically double that. Massive kudos.

Thanks! I can't really describe how scary it was, they sit you there at the top for ages and I don't think I've used so many expletives at one time, lol!

I like your inclusion of the Big One btw, another scary but absolutely brilliant ride. Never been on stealth or Nemesis Inferno, I need to go to Thorpe Park soooon.

Hmmm, ReZ, i have to disagree with you on some of those. Nemesis Inferno was rubbish, nothing compared to the original Nemesis.

And the Rock N Roller Coaster at Disneyland Paris is awful compared to the Florida one. Like, not even in the same league.

Those top two rides are no way better than pretty much every other ride on that list.

Also, no Tower Of Terror?!

Each to his own i guess, but bleh!

Hmmm, ReZ, i have to disagree with you on some of those. Nemesis Inferno was rubbish, nothing compared to the original Nemesis.

Fair enough. :) IMO they shouldn't even be compared, they are completely different (apart from type of ride) Inferno is just more my thing (I like height)

And the Rock N Roller Coaster at Disneyland Paris is awful compared to the Florida one. Like, not even in the same league.

!

I was just speculating from what I've heard as I've never been to Florida, but I can't see how its not in the same league when they're identical rides.

Also, no Tower Of Terror?!

Havn't been on it...also not a roller coaster. ;) I can do a thrill ride version sometime? :)

Ah, the Rock N Roller Rollercoaster. That's one brilliant ride there. Was the only one in my family to go on it in Florida as everyone else was scaried and wanted to go on the Tower or Terror (which I thought was boring as hell). Anyways, the whole experience was brilliant from the faux music studio with Aerosmith to the 'alleyway' out back where your stretch limo cars arrive which have Aerosmith tunes blasting out of the headrest. And the ride itself was pretty damn cool, completely in the dark apart from the oncoming Hollywood sign and lights and the motorway signs. Really well done that one. Need to go back on that one day. As do I actually need to go to places like Thorpe Park and Alton Towers as I have never been. Only British theme park I've been to is Blackpool Pleasure Beach and I've been there loads as I used to go on holiday in Blackpool so I have some great memories from there (anyone else a huge fan of the ride Valhalla? For what is essentially a log ride in a longboat it's superbly done).

Valhalla is FUCKING amazing. Its one of the most expensive rides in the UK (the most expensive? Saw may have overtaken it) but yeah, good god, its brilliant.

For people who havn't been - its an indoor water boat/log flumish ride, but with amazing theming, massive. At one point you're about to go into a path of fire and you're like What the...what the fuck I'm about to burn a bloody death! Then you suddenly plummit down, which you can't see.

Its amaaazziznggg.

I am aware that Space Mountain is different in US and Paris, ReZ...I'm a Disney nut. :)

I am aware that Space Mountain is different in US and Paris, ReZ...I'm a Disney nut. :)

(I wasn't assuming you didn't know that, just stating)

Yeh, love Valhalla. Love the bit on the first climb where there's that huge log thing swinging procariously overhead. That and the hot and cold areas. Those really mess with you. One minute, you're absolutely boiling and the next your freezing. Really fantastic ride. All of the hidden drops/backwards drops are really good. Much more than a log ride. It's like the extreme version. All this talk of it makes me want to go on it again. Considering where Blackpool Pleasure Beach is situated, it actually has a decent selection of rides. The already mentioned Valhalla along with the Irn Bru Revolution and the Pepsi Max are all great (going on the Pepsi Max on a windy day is scary as hell) and some of the smaller rides like the Blackhole/Blackout and Avalanche are nicely themed and good rides. Blackout/Blackhole is basically the Waltzers but it's virtually pitch black except for strobe lighting which occurs. Really awesome.

Whats the name of the rollercoaster they had to close because people died on it? It's still there I believe and nothing's happened/happening to it which was a shame because it wasn't that bad of a 'coaster.

(I wasn't assuming you didn't know that, just stating)

I was about to say that I posted that I knew they were different, but looking back, I didn't, I just said I'd never been on the Paris one. :smile:

It look(ed?)s cool, being fired off/up in those tubes.

It hasn't been mentioned yet in here because it's quite new, but Crush's Coaster in the Walt Disney Studios in Paris is really quite fun. It's a ride meant for everyone (well, except really small kids) so it's nothing extreme, no loops.

We didn't expect much when we went on there, thinking it'd be a simple kids ride with scenes from the film. It starts out that way, but then you get to this dark part (all of it is inside) and it goes alot faster and has a lot of crazy turns, so like a Wild Mouse ride. Basically just very fun and made me laugh! =D

loading.JPG

crush4.JPG

Word, (I've not been on it) but it looks beautiful from pictures. Its the same type as Dragons Fury and Spinball Whizzer (a Maurer Söhne spinning). I would love to ride it.

----

Ouch...there is a rumour that Saw won't be open for two weeks. Would be the definition of devastated. Really hope its only a rumour. Time will tell.

Edited by ReZourceman

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Saw The Ride

Right, so straight away I will confirm that this sits at either number one or number two on my list. I am not decided on where, because I need to think about it some more.

Okay here we go, so I will be posting what happens on the ride, on the inside, so if you don't want to be spoiled of the suprises, then don't read on. :)

Okay, so you go in the queue, and you walk around to the back of the building. You walk in and are greeted with a wall and a walkway right. On the wall "Face your fears" smeared in blood. You walk along a bitBANG you're like what the fuck was that! look up and theres two shot guns facing down at you. :bouncy: then you turn and start going up some stairs, where Billy The Doll comes on the tv and starts giving you the usual Saw script thing "test yourself" etc. You walk up some more stairs, round to near the station. Theres a window/cabinet thing with a man climbing through barb wire from Saw 1, (a waxwork obv) all blood and cuts, very gruesome. I'll note all the scenery and atmosphere is dark and gruesome.

(We later discovered if you look up on the stairs you can see him from underneath)

Then the batching is done in two trains, front and back. Each train holds two rows of four. If you have a choice the front row of the back train is easily the best, because it gives you the best view, and the first train misses some of the effects!

(I'll describe it from the second trains perspective)

So you get in, and it goes forward, you turn and stop. Billy the Doll cycles down a bit from the right, and it is lit up and starts talking to you again. After about 15 seconds he says "This is what happens if you lose" and you go forward and turn right. Pretty much pitch black apart from two swinging illuminous axes from the ceiling and you're like....right....heading straight for that....BOOM vertical drop, plummiting you ontop of some illuminous spikes. Looks SO much like you're going to hit them cos' everything is so dark. You whoosh round to the right, and are faced with loads of cross bows on the wall, they all squirt air in your face.

You go around again, and the sun light starts to shine out and you turn a corner to outside, just before you get outside, you do an inline twist, with a dead body under the track. His guts all hanging out. As you fly past it sprays you with warm water. (blood obv) mental.

You go outside, and have probably all seen what it does, but vertical chain pull which is crazy. You reach the top in no time, more than vertical drop below rotating blades, Immelmann inversion, over banked turn, airtime hill, turns etc, dive loop and finish. Then you roll back into the station, where (fact time) theres a Billy doll on the left, which is a genuine prop from the films.

So yeah. Absolutely awesome ride.

It hasn't been mentioned yet in here because it's quite new, but Crush's Coaster in the Walt Disney Studios in Paris is really quite fun. It's a ride meant for everyone (well, except really small kids) so it's nothing extreme, no loops.

We didn't expect much when we went on there, thinking it'd be a simple kids ride with scenes from the film. It starts out that way, but then you get to this dark part (all of it is inside) and it goes alot faster and has a lot of crazy turns, so like a Wild Mouse ride. Basically just very fun and made me laugh! =D

loading.JPG

crush4.JPG

I was going to mention it. Me and my g/f went on it last year, and it is awesome. I didn't expect it to be so good, thought it was kiddy before i went on, but man, its quite possibly the best ride at Disneyland Paris, second only to Space Mountain, but that sgetting old that one.

Its loads better than the Spinball Whizzer. Its loads faster, and the track is just more intense. Plus its in the dark (ish -with lights and things to see) and is Nemo themed! So awesome. I love the seagulls by the loading bay, i tried to get pictures of them on my camera but it was too dark :(

And ReZ, the Rock n Roller coasters are very different. The same theme is all they share. I dont even think the Paris one goes upside down, i cant remember, but they are sooo different. The Florida one for instance has a 4G speed start, is much longer, has a crazier track with lots of loops and twists and has fluerescent signs and flashing lights like Vegas that you twist and turn through and around. The Paris one just has some lame ass lights.

And ReZ, the Rock n Roller coasters are very different. The same theme is all they share. I dont even think the Paris one goes upside down, i cant remember, but they are sooo different. The Florida one for instance has a 4G speed start, is much longer, has a crazier track with lots of loops and twists and has fluerescent signs and flashing lights like Vegas that you twist and turn through and around. The Paris one just has some lame ass lights.

.....Errr.....no....they're identical track wise.....they really are dude. They are physically the same coaster.

The track is the same as the original "Rock 'n' Roller Coaster" at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL.

Length: 3403'

Height: 80'

Inversions: 3

Speed: 57 mph

Duration: 1:10

G-Force: 5

Max Acceleration: 0 − 57 mph in 2.8 seconds

Elements: Roll Over

Corkscrew

Length: 3403'

Height: 80'

Inversions: 3

Speed: 57 mph

Duration: 1:22

G-Force: 5

Max Acceleration: 0 − 57 mph in 2.8 seconds

Elements: Roll Over

Corkscrew

Edited by ReZourceman

.....Errr.....no....they're identical track wise.....they really are dude. They are physically the same coaster.

Hmm, well i'm just going by experience. I have been on both of them a number of times and the Florida one was a million times better.

Florida was five years ago though, so its possible i found it more awesome at that younger age. I still hold firm that the interior design and atmosphere of the Florida one is better. Maybe it felt longer as it wasn't so compact in such a small space too. I dunno, im all confused now!

I'll just say that track specs dont make a ride. It may have the same stand out moments but its the whole experience that makes it what it is. Yeah, i'll stick to that :p

I'll just say that track specs dont make a ride. It may have the same stand out moments but its the whole experience that makes it what it is. Yeah, i'll stick to that :p

I completely agree. :)

I certainly wasn't saying one was better over the over. IMO theming is everything. You can have a coaster that does 10 invesions (Colossus) and it pales in comparison to something that only has 3 inversions (SAW) but ridiculously awesome theming.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Saw The Ride

Right, so straight away I will confirm that this sits at either number one or number two on my list. I am not decided on where, because I need to think about it some more.

Okay here we go, so I will be posting what happens on the ride, on the inside, so if you don't want to be spoiled of the suprises, then don't read on. :)

Okay, so you go in the queue, and you walk around to the back of the building. You walk in and are greeted with a wall and a walkway right. On the wall "Face your fears" smeared in blood. You walk along a bitBANG you're like what the fuck was that! look up and theres two shot guns facing down at you. :bouncy: then you turn and start going up some stairs, where Billy The Doll comes on the tv and starts giving you the usual Saw script thing "test yourself" etc. You walk up some more stairs, round to near the station. Theres a window/cabinet thing with a man climbing through barb wire from Saw 1, (a waxwork obv) all blood and cuts, very gruesome. I'll note all the scenery and atmosphere is dark and gruesome.

(We later discovered if you look up on the stairs you can see him from underneath)

Then the batching is done in two trains, front and back. Each train holds two rows of four. If you have a choice the front row of the back train is easily the best, because it gives you the best view, and the first train misses some of the effects!

(I'll describe it from the second trains perspective)

So you get in, and it goes forward, you turn and stop. Billy the Doll cycles down a bit from the right, and it is lit up and starts talking to you again. After about 15 seconds he says "This is what happens if you lose" and you go forward and turn right. Pretty much pitch black apart from two swinging illuminous axes from the ceiling and you're like....right....heading straight for that....BOOM vertical drop, plummiting you ontop of some illuminous spikes. Looks SO much like you're going to hit them cos' everything is so dark. You whoosh round to the right, and are faced with loads of cross bows on the wall, they all squirt air in your face.

You go around again, and the sun light starts to shine out and you turn a corner to outside, just before you get outside, you do an inline twist, with a dead body under the track. His guts all hanging out. As you fly past it sprays you with warm water. (blood obv) mental.

You go outside, and have probably all seen what it does, but vertical chain pull which is crazy. You reach the top in no time, more than vertical drop below rotating blades, Immelmann inversion, over banked turn, airtime hill, turns etc, dive loop and finish. Then you roll back into the station, where (fact time) theres a Billy doll on the left, which is a genuine prop from the films.

So yeah. Absolutely awesome ride.

Thanks for the impressions, it actually sounds pretty amazing. I've got to round some peeps up at some point, and head on down to Thorpe Park...