NEurope
Tellyn

THQ Wireless Division Restructuring

Exclusive: Publishing giant THQ have today announced to its staff that it will be closing down its studios.

An insider source confirmed to N-Europe this morning that THQ's staff have been informed of the company's imminent closure this morning.

THQ were established in 1989 and have since been responsible for producing numerous critically acclaimed titles, including fan-favourite De Blob and the WWE series, and are set to publish Deadly Creatures for the Wii next month.

THQ closed several studios back in November due to financial difficulties - sadly, it appears that the company couldn't get past their troubles.

It is not yet known how many jobs will be lost or which games will be cancelled, but a formal announcement should follow according to our source.

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12820

WHAT!! That sucks!!

They talked about doing more De Blob, so they must have been pretty sure they could get through it, but seems not!

T'is a shame!

What what WHAT?

First reaction: not to critisize your journalistic integrity Tellyn, but how reliable is that source of yours?

Second reaction: Deadly Creatures is pretty much done, so that'll still come out. Studios will live on under the flag of other game companies, I suppose.

First reaction: not to critisize your journalistic integrity Tellyn, but how reliable is that source of yours?

Don't worry, no offence taken. :heh: And...

Reliable. Put it this way, they have no reason to lie.

Another one bites the dust, a sad day in gaming. Just goes to show that no company is safe in this recession. I guess EA will probably pick up some of the games or something.

Crap.

List of THQ-affiliated devs:

Active until recently:

Big Huge Games

Founded in 2000 by four veteran game developers and acquired by THQ in 2008, Big Huge Games is a video game studio focused on cutting-edge technology and aimed at mass-market game development. Big Huge Games founders Brian Reynolds, Jason Coleman, David Inscore and Tim Train continue in the tradition of creating inspired and innovative games for PC and next-generation consoles. Creating games that have received numerous "Game of the Year" awards and accolades, Big Huge Games is headquartered in Timonium, Maryland.

Blue Tongue Entertainment

Founded in 1995 and acquired by THQ in 2004, Blue Tongue Entertainment Pty. Ltd. is located in Melbourne, Australia. Blue Tongue has released titles in many genres, from Windows PC simulations to console platforms. Games developed by Blue Tongue include Barnyard for the PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Wii and Windows PC, Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for PlayStation 2 and GameCube and "de Blob" for the Wii. Blue Tongue currently develops original and licensed titles for current and next-generation consoles.

Heavy Iron Studios

Founded as a THQ studio in 1999, Heavy Iron has worked in partnership with creators of animated feature film properties, including Disney-Pixar's The Incredibles and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game. Heavy Iron's previous titles include Scooby-Doo!: Night of 100 Frights and SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom. Both of these titles were nominated in consecutive years by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences for "Children's Title of the Year." Heavy Iron is working on next-generation console games in the action and platform genres. Heavy Iron Studios is located in Los Angeles, California.

Incinerator Studios

Established by THQ in 2005, Incinerator Studios was founded by industry veterans with development experience in the NFL GameDay game, Twisted Metal, and MLB: The Show franchises from Sony, as well as the Midnight Club franchise from Rockstar Games. Incinerator produced Disney-Pixar's Cars for the Wii, and it now developing multiple games for all next-generation consoles. Incinerator Studios is located in Carlsbad, California.

Juice Games

Founded in 2003 and acquired by THQ in 2006, Juice Games released the 1.5 million-unit selling Juiced in June 2005. The game won the best New UK/European Studio award in the 2005 Develop Industry Excellence Awards. Juice Games also develops titles for handheld and mobile gaming devices. Juice Games is located in Warrington, United Kingdom.

Kaos Studios

Established by THQ in 2005, Kaos Studios was formed by industry veterans of the first-person shooter genre. The group's core team had key roles in Trauma Studios' Desert Combat, the multi-million download modification for the original Battlefield 1942, and includes members of the research and development team for DICE's Battlefield 2. Additional members of the fifty-person team contributed to the development of shooters that include FEAR, Medal of Honor, and Doom 3. Kaos Studios is based in New York, NY.

Rainbow Studios

Based in Phoenix, Arizona, Rainbow Studios was founded in 1996 and acquired by THQ in 2001. In 2006, Rainbow developed Disney•Pixar's Cars, a racing title based on the film and released on all major gaming platforms. Rainbow also developed the "MX" franchise, including MX Unleashed and MX vs. ATV Unleashed, both of which achieved "Greatest Hits" and "Platinum Hits" status from Sony and Microsoft. During its fifteen-year video game history, Rainbow's racing and technological expertise gained success with titles such as Motocross Madness, Motocross Madness 2 (winner of Best Sports Computer Game of 2000 by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences), Splashdown, ATV Off-Road Fury, ATV Off-Road Fury 2, and Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 2. Rainbow Studios released MX vs. ATV: Untamed in December 2007, and are currently developing Deadly Creatures, an action-adventure game exclusively for Wii.

Relic Entertainment

Based in Vancouver, BC, Relic Entertainment was founded in 1997 and acquired by THQ in 2004. Relic Entertainment develops real-time strategy games, such as Company of Heroes, which is one of the highest rated Windows PC games. Relic's history of critically acclaimed titles began with Homeworld, which received several Game of the Year and Strategy Game of the Year awards from PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World. Since then, Relic has released Homeworld: Cataclysm (co-developed with Barking Dog Studios), Impossible Creatures, Homeworld 2, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War with its expansions Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, The Outfit, and Company of Heroes with its expansion Opposing Fronts.

THQ Studio Australia

Founded in January 2003, THQ Studio Australia most recently shipped Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth, on PlayStation 2, Wii, and Xbox 360. Previously, the studio created the Nickelodeon games Avatar: The Last Airbender, SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, PANTS! and Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies on the Wii, PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube and Xbox. The studio is currently developing titles on sixth and seventh generation consoles.

Vigil Games

Founded in 2005, most notably by comic book artist Joe Madureira, and acquired by THQ in 2006.[4] Vigil Games is located in Austin, Texas.

Volition, Inc.

Acquired by THQ in 2000 to develop original titles for all major gaming consoles. The company was created when Parallax Software (the developer of the Descent series) was split (the other half was the now-defunct Outrage Entertainment who developed Descent 3 and Alter Echo). Volition, Inc. developed the FreeSpace series of Space combat simulator, and other titles including Red Faction, Red Faction II, Summoner, The Punisher. In August 2006, THQ and Volition released Saints Row, the first next generation open-world title for the Xbox 360. Among other innovative features, Saints Row combines character and vehicle customization with multiplayer gameplay over the Xbox Live network. Saints Row was the number one selling game following its release and received Editor's Choice accolades from IGN.com and GamePro. They have released a follow-up, Saints Row 2, in 2008 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and are now finishing Red Faction: Guerilla. Volition is located in Champaign, Illinois.

Defunct as of November 2008:

Helixe

Founded in July 2000, Helixe specializes in game development for Nintendo handheld gaming platforms. The studio has produced games for the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance including top-selling Disney-Pixar's The Incredibles and Cars, as well as games based on the Star Wars and Scooby-Doo franchises and numerous titles based on popular Nickelodeon brands. Helixe is currently focused on licensed games for the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance. Helixe is located near Boston, Massachusetts.

Was shut down on November 3, 2008

Locomotive Games

Formerly Pacific Coast Power & Light, Locomotive Games was founded in 1997 and acquired by THQ in 1999. Locomotive Games has developed racing, arcade, and action games for the PSP and Wii consoles, including Disney-Pixar's Cars for the PSP. Locomotive first partnered with THQ on games such as Nuclear Strike and Road Rash for the Nintendo 64. After becoming an official THQ studio, Locomotive developed the motocross game MX Superfly. In 2008, Locomotive released Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed. The studio was located in Santa Clara, California.

Mass Media

The core group of Mass Media came together in the late 1980s at Cinemaware. In 1995, Mass Media became an exclusive developer for Time Warner Interactive. Since then and before being acquired by THQ, Mass Media was an independent developer. The company was based in Moorpark, California, and has worked on such titles as Full Spectrum Warrior and Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers for before joining THQ. While part of THQ Mass Media worked on Tetris Evolution, Saints Row PS3 (canceled), Stuntman: Ignition PS3, and Saints Row 2 PS3 (with Volition, Inc.).

Paradigm Entertainment

Founded by industry veterans in 1997, and acquired by THQ in 2006, Paradigm Entertainment has multiple projects for next-generation consoles. Paradigm has created several well-known action games including Pilotwings 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, and SpyHunter. The studio was located near Dallas, Texas.

Sandblast Games

Formerly Cranky Pants Games. Formed by THQ in 2002, Sandblast Games brought staff from Electronic Arts, Nintendo to focus on design for current and next-generation gaming platforms. Sandblast Games developed Evil Dead: Regeneration for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, based on the cult horror film. Sandblast Games also created versions of the critically acclaimed Red Faction II and Summoner: A Goddess Reborn for the Nintendo GameCube. Sandblast Games was located near Seattle, Washington. It's last game was released on December 1st, 2008, titled Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon.

External THQ studios:

* 5th Cell

* Blitz Games

* Climax Studios

* Gas Powered Games

* SimBin Development Team AB

* Slingdot

* Team17

* THQ Wireless

* Universomo

* ValuSoft

Plus:

Play THQ (Lock's Quest)

XDG

Information from Wikipedia.

Considerable project losses, in my opinion: Warhammer 40k DoW II, de Blob, Deadly Creatures, Red Faction, Drawn to Life (5th Cell), Worms (Team17).

I thought THQ were huge? Didn't expect them to be in such serious difficulties!

Just goes to show that no company is safe in this recession.

Yeah exactly. There has been news about how the gaming industry has been doing well throughout the credit crunch, but we are gradually seeing more and more companies succumb. :(

... we better all hope it's because they put all their money into the fine banking system of Iceland.

Im thinking license overload. Almost every game theyve ever published was based on a cartoon, tv show, movie, official sports license, etc, which i imagine costs them a pretty penny if/when the game doesnt sell.

i just hpe this won´t affect the release of Dawn of War 2 seeing as THQ are the publishers of the game.

Still sad too see one of the big good ones go away.

... we better all hope it's because they put all their money into the fine banking system of Iceland.

I wouldn't call it banking system, more of a money distributing system to everyone else except the people who gave it to them.

Wow, this really is bad news. I hope this isn't the end of the Worms franchise..

DoW II is pretty much finished so it'll probably be out, RF however....:'(

One can only hope that the franchises and projects that weren's headed to the Wii, will be restructured towards Wii development. I want RF on me Wii.

There's got to be more to this story. A company of THQs size doesn't just stop working, stop being.

I smell consolidation.

Merging with? Into? Speculate away mister dakota-san!

Haven't Ubisoft teased of a buyout? That said, i can't see much value in THQ for Ubi though.

Last year, EA were on the hunt for a big publisher, namely Rockstar. Could THQ be second best? And I'm sure Activision with their new found love of the annual update would relish the license heavy output of THQ.

/speculation.

Just read this, Neogaf's user Vashu:

Well, I've just contacted THQ and they say this news is false. Probably just an attempt to get more pagehits, not thinking about possible consequences (marketvalue). Sure, jobs can be cut due to the current economic problems, but from what I was told THQ is still holding up fine.

So... Who should I believe?:blank:

Not to doubt your jornalistic integrity, Tellyn, like Noku said, but are you really sure your source is reliable? As in, they gave you accurate info in the past?

I would like to also challenge this I have just signed up after what seems as a blatent attepmt to get page hits from the gamespot forums, and I have done much searching and it seems to be utter rubbish, and in all honesty if this source is as good as you say and the company is closing, what would revealing said soure affect? It's not like the person can lose a job over it seeing as they would be losing it anyway.

Just read this, Neogaf's user Vashu:

So... Who should I believe?:blank:

Not to doubt your jornalistic integrity, Tellyn, like Noku said, but are you really sure your source is reliable? As in, they gave you accurate info in the past?

Not to mention the fact that I haven't seen this covered in many other places. I'm not actually sure how many THQ games I've got in my collection - but I'm thinking not many!

Well, I've just contacted THQ and they say this news is false. Probably just an attempt to get more pagehits, not thinking about possible consequences (marketvalue). Sure, jobs can be cut due to the current economic problems, but from what I was told THQ is still holding up fine.

Too many good games coming out, so they are not going anywhere (but up :p).

Rumor debunked.

PS: There's also a reason why no big site has picked this news up yet. ;)

This isn't true. I have it on good authority after checking into it that there is some validity to this. I do doubt all of THQ is shutting down, but I would not expect the day to be over without hearing of them closing a studio or division of THQ.

Hm, that's not the response I got.

it was

............no comment.

Well, the one I contacted is doing the PR (Product manager) but he can be trusted. I'm still waiting for a friend of mine who works at one of the studios to come online though.

And what was the response you got Deepbrown?

The reason no one else reported it, is because it's exclusive. It's also a rumour and not coming from a huge site, people are reticent to trust it. Whether it's true or not, we'll see, but it wasn't posted blindly and it's our job to keep you informed.

My guess is Tellyn's reporting from gossip/news/staff speculation from developer Juice in Warrington (has Tellyn ever mentioned he knows anyone from there?). The problem with any staff gossip is that its wildly blown out of proportion or as far from fact as possible.

Its either the beginings of a merger/buyout (quite possible with the low stock price of THQ) or a few more developers, including Juice, are being closed.

I can't see them just shutting up shop.

The reason no one else reported it, is because it's exclusive. It's also a rumour and not coming from a huge site, people are reticent to trust it. Whether it's true or not, we'll see, but it wasn't posted blindly and it's our job to keep you informed.

Actually, you've raised a good point. Since this is rumour, far from substantiated, shouldn't both the headline on the main page and here in the forum state 'Rumour'... I'm just thinking of you guys, i really wouldn't want you to look like a bunch of gossips.

I would say unless this is 100% solid truth then revealing more on such a story would certainly be no problem what so ever as it would affect no one doing so except yourself and if anything make you look even better for getting such an exclusive story................ on the other hand if it is indeed false based on exactly how you worded it the only person that will come out looking bad is you report mere rumour as fact with nothing to back it up.