NEurope
CoolFunkMan

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin

Thing is, there's not much they can do to innovate with a FPS anymore. I doubt any upcoming shooters will score over 90% in the near future, Halo 4 and Killzone 3 included

For me, anything over 75% for a FPS is a good score. So I'll still be getting this.

I think this is an appropriate time to bring up this gem

Maybe we should all play it alone in the dark, film the results and post it here.

New "Environments" trailer:

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/41789/PC/F-E-A-R-2-Project-Origin/Trailer/Environments-Trailer

Well, that deffinitely looks far more varied than the environments of the original F.E.A.R! Looking good.

Thing is, there's not much they can do to innovate with a FPS anymore. I doubt any upcoming shooters will score over 90% in the near future, Halo 4 and Killzone 3 included

Good point actually. I really don't see how they can push the genre further. I suppose the story-telling could be improved upon, but then we have Valve that are already doing that...

I think the genre should be restored by having more set-pieces or maybe like in MGS where you have gadgets and different styles of weapon. All guns are virtually the same, the bullets fire directly horizontal every time. Getting variation is difficult.

Nonsense.

Did you not play Farcry 2? That game opens up all kinds of new avenues of development in the genre. Persistent worlds, player interaction andv freedom have barely been touched on.

what about Mirror's Edge? or the Riddick titles? They're pushing physical characterisation way ahead of the current crop of shooters and taking the genre in new directions.

FEAR is a dinosaur. It's big, chunky and makes lots of noise but it's hardly bleeding edge game design. There's shit loads to do with the FPS.

Mirrors Edge isn't a shooter, it doesn't work.

Farcry whilst you get some freedom when I played it the environment became boring.

I don't think there are as many options as you think. Unless I'm too narrow minded and not thinking outside the box.

What do those games do in particular that refresh the genre?

but mirror's edge is a first person action game that does things with the perspective and controls that other fps games would do very, very well to emulate, see? It's not about taking wholesale it's about trying ideas in new ways.

as for Farcry 2? I think it's one of the best games this generation. The way the game empowers the player to make choices on the fly, acomodates a host of tactical options and so on deserves way more praise than it got. I think alot of people played the game badly and didn't experiment with the formula it gives you. It's an important step and I think we'll see alot more of that.

I have finally played the demo and to be honest I thought it was pretty bad. Whilst I think it works very well at what it does from the psychological point of view and not a lot else for me...

So I just got F.E.A.R 2 through the post. It appears I can't install it. When I enter the code, Steam says it's not available for purchase in this country, and that it's been canceled. Thanks a lot Valve, thanks a-fucking-lot! >=(

*EDIT: Damn', sorry for the double post. Can a mod please merge? Thanks.*

It isn't officially released until Friday so the game won't go 'live' until then. It should work fine tomorrow, but I'm afraid you'll just have to admire the box until then.

So, I finally unlocked it today and started playing it... I've also completed it today. It's shockingly short, plus it wasn't really much of a challange (I was playing on "normal" difficulty.) Oh, and it wasn't that scary either, though I did jump a few times.

I'd recommend it still, it's a really enjoyable game, but maybe £25 is a tad steep. Mind you, I've still got to play multiplayer yet, I'll let y'all know how it is!

Aye FEAR 2 is not that bad... Something to play on till GTA add on and Killzone 2 comes out

I think its better than the first one on the 360... Story seems more intresting

If you can get it cheap then I would defo recommend it

People who have finished the game... Just wondering...

Is the baby yours ?

Well...

Yes it is. Alma literally rapes you at the end. It is pretty messed up, but an interesting plot twist. Roll on F.E.A.R 3! :grin:

Well...

Yes it is. Alma literally rapes you at the end. It is pretty messed up, but an interesting plot twist. Roll on F.E.A.R 3!

:grin:

LOL

Shame you didnt get the see the rape scene. Would of made a great side game. Keep pressing B ! :heh:

Really wish I could have stayed away from those spoilers :(

Its probably a bunch of nonsense anyway. Unless its something like the

:heh:

Really good game that. Shame it was underrated because of using 'office environments'. Loved the nail gun. You could nail enemies and get them stuck on walls. :heh:

edit: I cant post spoilers?

So far so good. I like it.

The combat if fun so far and the AI is very good. Playing the PS3 version. Looks good enough for a multiplatform game. Not one of the best but it runs well. Gameplay is good. Office haters might want to stay away because this game does the corridor thing exclusively so far. But its never been an issue for me. Still need to play much more.

Difference between PC and PS3 is not big. Looks about the same. Some higher res textures in the PC game but not by much at all. Framerate is stable. No screen tearing. Sounds are ok, abit muffled. But really the focus is on gun fights and it does them well. :smile:

Abit underwhelming given who it is made by but hopefully this is just a stopgap for their next big project. Need to play more yet. So hardly a final judgement!