Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

Massa says Renault "robbed" him of the title last year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8286418.stm

Must say, I'm inclined to agree with him. I find it odd that the result was allowed to stand, especially when it gave extra points to Renault, thereby enhancing their position in the constructors. The revenue share is determined by how many points a team wins, right?

Edited by Gizmo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic grid walk at Sazuka!!

Was interesting to learn Heidfeld's 'at the bottom of the wankings!'

Seriously hope Vettel can snatch this title, Jenson has been absolutely aweful during the 2nd half of the season. Championship contenders should be fighting it out at the front of the grid... not qualifying in Q2 and limping home with the occasional points.

At least the only reason Vettel is where he is is down to DNF's and that dodgy pit lane speeding incident etc...

As much as I like Webber, what's going on with him, his season's fallen apart and he's in serious danger of being overtaken by Kimi and Hamilton in the drivers championship!

Sazuka was a pretty good race, not excellent, but decent enough.

However, having watched the 2005 'Classic' GP on the BBC last week, I couldn't believe the difference in terms of overtaking!! I was shocked!

During that race cars were constantly able to follow behind one another, close up to the back of one another, and there was plenty of overtaken.

The only thing I can think to put this down to is engines? No?... to me that seems to be the solution.

Why don't they go back to the V10 engine with 20,000rpm.

It would be a damn lot cheaper in the long run than all the millions the teams have spent developing the '09 aero regs, and KERS!!

Edited by Retro_Link

Lotus F1 reveals first shots of new car

lotus1.jpg

lotus2.jpg

The new Lotus F1 Team has unveiled the first images of what its 2010 car will look like, having completed its first wind tunnel model.

Chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne views the completion of the model as a major achievement, even though he admits there is still plenty of work to do before it makes it onto the grid.

"The start of any windtunnel testing is an important step in the development of a new Formula 1 car, but it is particularly exciting for us as we continue preparations for our first season," he said on Wednesday.

"It has been a very busy time since our entry was confirmed by the FIA. We had been working on the entry for several months so we already had aspects of the team infrastructure in place; the finances, the factory and the top management.

"Once our entry was confirmed in mid-September, we were able to accelerate our recruitment and car development process and this is really where we are at now."

Gascoyne remains confident that Lotus will be ready in time for the start of the 2010 season, which kicks off in Bahrain in the middle of March.

"There is no escaping the challenges that we face simply to get the car ready for the first race of next season, but I am confident that we are up to the task in hand. Our target is to get the car ready for a roll out by the middle of February so that we can carry out preseason testing in preparation for Bahrain in mid-March."

Lotus has yet to confirm any of its drivers for next year, but AUTOSPORT understands that Jarno Trulli is favourite to lead the team in 2010, potentially alongside another experienced driver.

Speaking about his drivers, Gascoyne said: "We have been looking closely at the driver market to determine our best options for next year including Malaysian drivers, but no decisions have been made yet.

"We need versatile drivers. We need reliable and technically-minded drivers who can help us develop the car during the season, but at the same time we need drivers who are hungry for results and who can extract every little bit of performance from the car at all times."

Woah they've got alot of work to do!!

That's just the first wind tunnel model, it's bound to [hopefully going to] evolve somewhat. At the moment it just looks like a standard racer from a lower racing class, but then I guess all the teams early '09 models looked somewhat like this.

They're gonna have to step it up a gear though to get on that grid!

Also...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79435

Massa: Alonso knew about race-fixing

Felipe Massa says he remains suspicious that Fernando Alonso did know about the deliberate crash plot at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix - but has vowed not to let it affect his future relationship with the Spaniard.

Massa spoke to Brazilian media during a get-together in Sao Paulo on Wednesday and, during the lunch, he said he was in no doubt that Alonso had to have been aware of the plans for Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in the Singapore event last year to try and help him win.

"In all, he is the least of the problem," Massa was quoted as saying by the Brazilian media about Alonso's involvement in the affair.

"It was the team and Nelson - but Alonso was part of the problem. He knew. We can not know it [but] of course he knew. [it's an] absolute certainty."

The comments created a huge media storm in Brazil ahead of this weekend's grand prix, and Massa and Ferrari moved to clarify the remarks in a statement issued on the Maranello team's official website on Wednesday evening.

In it, Massa said that his comments relate to a feeling he has rather than being based on facts, and he totally respects the FIA's findings from its investigations that Alonso was not aware of the crash plot.

"What I've said is the outcome of a hunch I've had and is not based on any concrete evidence," Massa said in his statement. "The FIA World Council announced that there was no indication that Fernando may have been informed of what had happened and I respect this outcome.

"Obviously I'm very disappointed about what transpired last year in Singapore: I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it's time to close that chapter and to look to the future.

"What is certain is that this episode will not mar in any way the relationship I'll have with Fernando when we will be team-mates."

He can say that, but I bet it's gonna be there in the back of his mind at times; Lets see how their partnership plays out!

Wow it feels like ages since i've posted on this board and even longer on this thread (let's blame that on me being at Uni and haven't had the time to sign in).

Right, Formula 1! Would absolutely LOVE for Vettel to win this weekend and take the title fight to Button and Rubens for Abu what's it called. Hopefully we'll get some rain this weekend and judging by it it's going to be a lot like last year with showers here and there; can't wait!

Love the news about Fernando going to Ferrari; the most consisent F1 driver over the last few years since Michael in my favourite red car ;) Next year is going to be really interesting with Lewis, Massa and Alonso (and HOPEFULLY Kimi) in the 4 fastest cars and i find that really exciting.

Excited for qualifying tomorrow :)

Takes 30 seconds from leaving from a pit stop, to actually re-entering the track. Seems like they've done it to add to the spectacle. Surely they could of done a normal one?

I can't see many overtaking opportunities there.

It's not about overtaking, it's about moneyyyy :)

I mean hey, why are South korea and India getting races when we don't even have a race in America :/

Takes 30 seconds from leaving from a pit stop, to actually re-entering the track. Seems like they've done it to add to the spectacle. Surely they could of done a normal one?

I can't see many overtaking opportunities there.

In commentary during Free Practice yesterday they said the pitlane speed limit ends at the line you can see crossed just after the last pit garage. This means that for the very brave there's time that can be made up here because technically you can go what ever speed you like through the tunnel and round those corners, which is pretty insane!

They also said there could be a problem if a car stops/stalls in the tunnel, but then someone from one of the teams text in a said it should be ok because despite being covered they do have some sort of crane and it's actually wider than it looks at 7m wide.

Also apparently because of the pit lane complex being where it is and the track layout, a tunnel was actually the only way they could get the pit lane to join back up with the track after the first corner.

Everyone seen the Yas Marina lap footage yet? That pitlane is bizarre.

Not quite sure what he was doing there, he seemed to drive sector 1 quite a few times, it got a bit confusing like he was just going where ever he wanted!

I thought there was meant to be a few main straights, it didn't really feel like it, especially as he was going quite slowly!

Ah well, will have to wait and see, I'm pretty excited for it!

It certainly looks very finished and to a high standard... though a tad like having a GP at a fancy Airport!

Edited by Retro_Link

It's not about overtaking, it's about moneyyyy :)

I mean hey, why are South korea and India getting races when we don't even have a race in America :/

Well India actually makes some sense because F1 has at least a small (for India) but dedicated following that can be expanded on. Korea on the other hand is just a government with more money then sense.

Well India actually makes some sense because F1 has at least a small (for India) but dedicated following that can be expanded on. Korea on the other hand is just a government with more money then sense.

India's sports minister recently suggested that Formula 1 is not a sport and money shouldn't be put towards it.

Eugh.

They should just use European tracks aswell as Australia, 2 north American races, Brazil and Japan.

What an AWESOME result!!! Barachello P1... Button p14!! :laughing:

Buttons been far to slack and casual these last few races, just thinking he can breeze in and do the littlest amount possible to bring this championship home, well that's what you get!

Hope Barachello gets the win tomorrow with Button out of the points... lets take it to Abu Dhabi, where hopefully Barachello can claim a much deserved world championship!!

Well Button can salvage points from that position, but lets not forget Spa when he started there. He and Vettel will be up against it in those first few corners but weather is also gonna play a big part, if it's wet, I don't think Vettel will get any points, despite where Mark Webber ended up. If Rubens can nail the start he has the best chance of keeping the championship to Abu Dhabi.

EDIT: Fuel weights are in, Barrichello, Raikonen and Alonso are all lightest on fuel going in on lap 20. However adjusted lap times show Barrichello was still second fastest behind mark Webber by little margin. He needs to push on and break away for a chance to win his home race. Webber may be out of it but keeping 4th in the drivers championship looks liely if he were to win.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

On that weight Barrichello really needs to run away at the front.

I REALLY hope its a full on wet race tomorrow!!

Legards repeated quote of the day:

"Up the pit straight, UP THE HILL!"

Oh and I hope we see a return of the now legendary Interlagos Owl... classic!!