N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if they are are they?...

I've gone over the 2010 rules (admittedly on wikipedia :p) and it doesn't seem to suggest there will be such a change... Also can't find any info on Autosport or other F1 websites. I think that once strategic pitstops are removed we could end up seeing a small number of races deicided by the end of the 1st lap (Valencia, anyone?). Doesn't exactly bode well for the sport IMO.

Abu Dhabi sounds pretty cool!...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/08/the-inside-line-on-new-abu-dhabi-track-with-bruno-senna/

Bruno Senna has been in Abu Dhabi for the last two days, driving the new Yas Marina Circuit and meeting the people there.

Senna says he is more hopeful of getting an F1 seat next year as there are more opportunities than there were this year.

With just over two months to go until the inaugural Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi, Senna was able to drive the track in a 4×4 road car and get an impression of what kind of track it is and which of the current F1 teams it will favour, bearing in mind that the season finale could be the decisive race in the championship. His answer may surprise you.

I spoke to him on the phone today and I thought I would share his thoughts with you:

What do you think of the track?

It’s impressive, different from anything seen before. The nearest is probably Shanghai in terms of how well planned and laid out it is, but this place is on another level. Many of the solutions of this track are interesting.

Such as?

Well the pit lane exit, which is a tunnel, for example. That is more than a bit interesting. The pit speed limit line is before it so they will be racing through the tunnel. It’s quite narrow, not as narrow as the exit in Valencia, but still narrow and it exits onto the high speed Turn 3, mind you the cars exiting the pits will be going quite quickly by then. Also something I’ve never seen before is the run off area for Turn 7 is underneath the grandstand!

Any other surprises?

It’s not as flat as I thought it would be. They’ve moved earth around to make some elevation changes. This gives some really nice blind corners. There is a nice mix of corners, some fast corners, the ones around the marina are off camber.

It will be really hard to get a good compromise on the set up, especially the aero balance. It’s the kind of track where the car will feel really oversteery. The majority of the corner are tight, so a good front end will be very important. It has a very long straight, the longest in F1 at 1.2 km with a first gear corner going onto it and at the end of it. To me this looks like a real KERS track. As for set up, you’d go for a medium to high downforce set up, something like you would use at Magny Cours.

Which bits do you like the most?

The first complex of corners, turns 1, 2 and 3 are really nice, fast sweeps. It’s very cool, they are blind corners and the exit of turn 3 is downhill. Then turns 14 and 15 are really cool fast right handed corners, where the wall is quite close.

How is the Marina? Is it more Monaco than Valencia?

Yes it will be like Monaco when the boats are in there, but it’s much more modern than Monaco, the architecture is much more modern. There are some beautiful buildings here, like the Shams Tower, and the hotel which is like a bridge over the circuit.

Will it be more of a Brawn circuit or a Red Bull circuit?

“It’s a KERS circuit!”

What are your chances of a race seat looking like for next year?

” There are more opportunities for next year than there were for this. I’m talking to some teams, the odds are looking better for next year.”

Looking forward to it!!

It's also just been confirmed as the first 'Twilight Race'... although arguably Australia and Malaysia tried that this year and with slightly dangerous outcomes...

However where as those became dangerous for the driver as the light faded, in Abu Dhabi it will only be the spectators that get to enjoy the transition from day to night, as the drivers will race under floodlights...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78061

Abu Dhabi confirms 5pm race start

With sunset at 5.43pm on race day, it means the final race of the season will start at dusk and end under floodlights at night.

The Abu Dhabi circuit's CEO Richard Cregan said: "Yas Marina Circuit has been built from the outset to host day and night-time activities.

"Staging Formula 1's first ever day/night race offers us the unique opportunity to demonstrate the circuit's inbuilt flexibility and state-of-the-art facilities. It has always been our intention to showcase to the world this spectacular venue and this decision allows just that opportunity.

"It is the best of both worlds, spectators and television viewers will see the stunning architecture of the world's newest Formula 1 circuit during the afternoon sunlight and then experience what it is like under floodlights. We hope that everyone will be impressed by what they experience and see."

Abu Dhabi has said that the floodlights used to illuminate the circuit will be switched on from the start of the event to ensure there is a seamless transition from daylight to darkness.

Can't wait to see what quali & race conditions are like - current forecast is for sunny spells, but I'm pretty that's been changing every hour.

I'd really like some rain in Qualy to maybe mix up the grid a bit then even if it's a dry race there's an interesting starting order. As we all know, passing at Spa is possible. Looking forward to a good race this weekend and I'm hoping for a Raikkonen or Webber win.

Seems not, last lap woe for them.

EDIT: And the adjusted fuel proves me wrong, they are the heaviest cars in the top ten with Barrichello the lightest.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78131

If Barrichello can nail the start I still think he might still get 3rd if he is lucky. Fishichella for points depite being second lightest?

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Quality race! Well done to Kimi, he's a good season so far. It's hilarious how Ferrari are in a complete pickle as to who will drive for them next season.

Well done to Force India too :D Brilliant result and it could've been a win quite easily; shame they didn't fuel Fisi a few seconds longer at their first stops.

World championship is wide open but Monza is gonna be very important; Webber and Rubens MUST finish ahead of Button considerably because at this current rate Button isn't getting punished enough for his poor results.

:yay:

783107.jpg

What a great race!! I honestly don't think I've ever been so tense and nervous for a GP in all the years I've been watching, it was horrendous!! During the build up (knowing Kimi had a chance of a win), right until the very end I was on the edge of my seat!

What a race from Fisi, unbelievable!! And what a drive from Kimi for keeping him behind for the entire race distance, because if he'd have made even the slightest mistake Fisi would have been through and off into the lead; but thankfully he didn't put a foot wrong!

Be great seeing if Force India can carry some of thus form into the remaining races... it'll really mix things up!!

Can't believe Jenson's getting away with these poor races he's had after his initial run of wins! I really thought Rubens was gonna take massive points out of his lead today, but he didn't and overall another poor race from Red Bull, though solid stuff from Vettel.

On to Monza next!!... just who will be announced in those Ferrari seats for next year?!!

Edited by Retro_Link

I have a feeling it's going to remain as Kimi and Massa. The only chance Alonso really has is if Kimi leaves the sport all together or gets a ridiculous payoff (which I can't see him going for) or if Massa is declared unfit to race in Open Wheel ever again (which there is a miniscule possibility).

I think he may end up at McLaren again. However this new scandal involving Renault/Piquet/Alonso/Briatore could see Renault kicked out of F1 next year and have disasterous consequences for Alonso and Briatore, deservedly so as well in my opinion, if of course it's true, which I am pretty skeptical about at the moment. Seems to have the makings of pissed off Piquet Snr. all over it.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78195

FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP

The FIA is to launch an investigation into the events at last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where Renault's Fernando Alonso claimed victory on the back of a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet.

Alonso's success was sealed by the timing of a safety car in the early stages of the inaugural event - which had been called out when Piquet crashed into the wall shortly after his team-mate stopped for fuel.

The timing of Piquet's crash prompted wild conspiracy theories that the Brazilian had been ordered to deliberately spin to help Renault take its first victory of the year. Piquet himself insisted at the time that the accident had been caused by him simply trying too hard.

"It was my mistake," said Piquet. "We tried two extreme strategies with Fernando quite short and me quite long in the hope of getting a safety car. If I hadn't crashed I would have been lucky with the safety car later in the race because I was very happy.

"We're always scraping the walls, and once you've touched the wall a little too much and lose control that's it."

It is understood, however, that fresh evidence about the events that took place in the race have now come to light - which has prompted the FIA to step in.

Piquet was dropped by Renault after this year's Hungarian Grand Prix, and has been outspoken in his criticisms of the outfit - and in particular team principal Flavio Briatore. It is not clear if the Brazilian himself has been a catalyst for the investigation, or if the evidence has come from elsewhere.

The FIA has not elaborated on the details of its inquiry, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that an investigation was under way.

"The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race," said the spokesperson.

Should the FIA investigation suggest there is any evidence of foul play involved, then the governing body could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to discuss the matter.

I have a feeling it's going to remain as Kimi and Massa. The only chance Alonso really has is if Kimi leaves the sport all together or gets a ridiculous payoff (which I can't see him going for) or if Massa is declared unfit to race in Open Wheel ever again (which there is a miniscule possibility).

I think he may end up at McLaren again. However this new scandal involving Renault/Piquet/Alonso/Briatore could see Renault kicked out of F1 next year and have disasterous consequences for Alonso and Briatore, deservedly so as well in my opinion, if of course it's true, which I am pretty skeptical about at the moment. Seems to have the makings of pissed off Piquet Snr. all over it.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78195

Yeah I read about that new scandal... I'd be surprised if anything came of it.

It does seem a bit coincidental that Piquet is dropped and suddenly this arises!

Kimi has said this...

"If for some reason I am not at Ferrari next season I know I'll have a seat at another team in the paddock," the Finn was quoted as saying by the British media on Saturday. "It's not a problem. Other teams want me.

"I'm too young to retire. I have a contract with Ferrari for next season. If I didn't want to race next season I would not have signed a contract."

Representatives of Raikkonen are understood to have approached Brawn GP earlier this year to enquire about options there, while the Finn has also been linked to a return to McLaren the team he left at the end of 2006 to join Ferrari.

I could also see a slim chance of him going back to McLaren now Ron's gone.

Oddly enough McLaren and Mercedes have made a point of publically praising/congratulating Kimi's performance after the last two GP's both on TV and in their press releases.

Ferrari have got to be careful, wouldn't you rather retain Kimi than reface this...

raikkonen2-lg.jpg

There is absolutly no chance ever of Alonso going back to McLaren ever.

His issues were with Ron Dennis who has now cleared off. Whitmarsh was interviewed on the BBC over the weekend refusing to rule out Alonso, also Davidson and Crofty said during practice that if he can't get a drive at Ferrari there is no other team with the capicity to give him a seat - Brawn will be unlikely to afford him, they and Red Bull have only had 1 season close to the top and it's probably that with extra dev time for next season McLaren and Ferrari will be back up at the front while the other two battle out the title.

All the other teams are out of the question. He will be in a Ferrari or a McLaren next year and Kimi will probably be in the opposite team.

^ Kimi never cares who his team mate is, he gets on with Hamilton well enough, and he knows the team and engineers well. He just wants a fast car.

Personally I'd rather see Kimi and Hamilton pushing each another, and surely he's got to be you're preferred choice over Heikki and Rosberg?

Also, tbf Ferrari are pretty much built around Massa and this really annoying family/sentimentality/schumi crap at the moment! Luca should have been gone after Valencia!

I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso has built up all this Ferrari stuff himself for the attention.

I'm just saying, he may not get a chance to stay at Ferrari if they do indeed want Alonso and Massa (and possibly Schumi back in a third car).

If Kimi is a free agent, I think McLaren would be foolish not to give him a seat as he's the best of the rest.

Rosberg will get his chance, he's only 24, but realistically do you not see him just being the next Heikki in that team? It's only Kimi who I think could handle being in team Hamilton.

And Alonso has always been about attention seeking and stirring up controversy!

The thing with the whole Alonso Ferrari thing is... don't see it playing out any better than Alonso at McLaren, the similarities are to apparent...

Massa will be a quick team mate (like Hamilton)

Massa has grown up with the team and is part of the Ferrari family (like Hamilton at McLaren)

Alonso won't get his desired no.1 status (like at McLaren)

...and frankly if he doesn't get his own way in the team like at Renault with his clear no.2 drivers and Flavio giving him everything he wants, he throws a strop!

Edited by Retro_Link

Kimi wouldn't care less if Lewis is his team mate. All he does is get in the car, push it to its limit and that's the weekend for him. Infact having a team mate like Lewis would make sense for him; someone who's in the headlines a lot so he can just be himself.

I don't know if it was on the red button or not but this weekend Coulthard was saying that him and Kimi used to do testing together and inbetween sessions Kimi would just go into the motorhome and fall asleep, sometimes only talking to the mechanics for a few minutes before sleeping, and then when they called him he'd just wake up, drive, set blistering lap times and go back to sleep.

Legend.

^ haha I saw that, was great!

I'm finding the Kimi/McLaren theory quite interesting atm.

They keep asking Martin Whitmarsh on the BBC, Red Button Forum etc... about has Heikki done enough to secure a seat and he'll never give a straight answer... in fact all his answers keep implying... No.

He also blurted out the other week at Valencia about the Alonso/Ferrari rumour, creating more speculation.

He's also said that McLaren are going to wait until this (to him) likely announcement takes place before deciding on drivers, because he sees it as a move that will blow the driver market open. When really all that will be different then is that Kimi will be free. Becaue if he wanted to sign Nico etc... he could do they now, why wait for Ferrari.

Plus he keeps praising Kimi's efforts lately and saying how he's really raised his game/is a true racer etc...

On another note... was everyone enjoying the homoerotic Eddie/Rubens love-in this weekend! :woops:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78235

Ferrari not expecting Massa return in '09

Ferrari does not expect Felipe Massa to return to the Formula 1 cockpit until the start of the 2010 season following the results of his medical examination in Miami on Monday.

The Brazilian visited the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit of the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami for a thorough examination by respected doctor Steve Olvey to asses his chances of recovery.

The prognosis was good, but the team said in a statement that with plastic surgery on Massa's skull due to be undertaken in the next few days, the team was not betting on Massa being ready to race in 2009.

"Obviously, the results of examination has been warmly welcomed in Maranello, in the sense that the team can count on Felipe 100% for the start of next season," said a Ferrari statement.

Massa is expected to have a small plate inserted into his skull at the area where it was damaged by the spring that hit his face during his qualifying crash for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Once that operation has taken place and Massa is fully recovered, he will then be able to resume physical training - having been forced to rest since his July accident.

"I'm very happy with the outcome of the tests," said Massa. "After the small operation I'll undergo in the next few days, I'll finally be able to start doing gym exercise to get back in shape a bit and, after that, I'll be able to start doing some testing on karts.

"On track with an F1 car? Let's go one step at a time: now I'm focused only on starting over with physical activity, which is already a nice step forward."

the team can count on Felipe 100% for the start of next season
It's alright them saying that now, but whether it will be the case in 6 months time is yet to be seen!

Also in the news...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78240

South Korea secures circuit funding

South Korean Grand Prix promoters have announced they have secured the financial funding to build a Formula 1 circuit that will be ready in time for 2010.

Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) - a joint-venture between the Jeollanam-do province government and official F1 promoter company M-Bridge Holdings - said on Tuesday it had raised $159.7 million from nine financial institutions.

KAVO said the rest of the money needed for the circuit would be raised through the organiser's capital and public subsidy.

South Korea secured a grand prix deal back in 2006 and is scheduled to make its debut in July next year, although a calendar circulated at the Belgian Grand Prix did not include the event.

The circuit, under construction in the South Cholla province, has been designed by Hermann Tilke.

smi20.gifGreat!... The last thing we need is another wasteland 'technical' circuit.

Slow speed corner leading on to a long back straight and starting straight anyone?!!

Update:

img_0229-300x225.jpg

f1korea2.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh great a technical cicuit :( Maybe it'd be good for MotoGP but for F1? Jeez. For a great track we just need some long straights, a couple of very heavy breaking areas, some fast sweeping corners and a couple of chicanes, both fast and slow. Mmmhmmm perfect :)