Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

SCHUMACHER IS BACK! SCHUMACHER IS BACK :D

I can't believe it, YES YES YES! Words fail to describe how I feel atm. The first ever season of F1 i watched was 1998 when Schumacher, in the slower Ferrari, almost toppled the superb Hakkinen (almost). I remember when schumacher got the puncture in the season finale at Suzuka, retired, and just sat on the tire wall watching the last 20 laps and my heart went out to him; he drove incredibly that season. For the next 9 years I pretty much woke up every other sunday to watch him and I loved it. For me, he retired a year too soon, mainly because Luca wanted to sign Kimi and hadn't told Jean Todt or Schumy until the last moment...Argh, he'd have the title in 2007 and 2008 in that Ferrari, easily.

Can't believe he's back. Tbh I'm not expecting much from him in Valencia, but i think a wet Spa track could prove interesting.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOTA to propose New Qualifying and 3 Car Teams?

http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=286165

LONDON -- Formula One teams are exploring whether they should race three cars beginning next season, along with changes to qualifying designed to make it more challenging.

While the Formula One Teams Association scrapped plans to form a rival series as part of a peace pact with the governing body, leading outfits want to be at the forefront of revitalizing auto racing's global competition.

FOTA is exploring changes that it hopes will make the series more exciting for fans and shift attention back to the track, after many high-profile battles with the FIA this season.

The teams association is believed to be close to recommending an overhaul of qualifying to the FIA. Currently, five cars are excluded after each of the first two parts of qualifying, leaving 10 cars to compete for pole in the final 10-minute session.

A plan that would make the starting lineup more unpredictable is to have five cars challenge in the preliminary session, with the two fastest progressing to challenge the next group of five until the grid is determined.

The proposals are yet to be announced by FOTA, but the group confirmed Wednesday that it will discuss with the FIA a possible expansion of the grid to 36 cars.

"Professional work has already begun within FOTA aimed at increasing the involvement of the fans and at improving the F1 show," secretary general Simone Perillo said. "Among those initiatives, one that could be interesting is the introduction of a third car on the grid.

"FOTA will seek the opinions of all the most relevant stakeholders in order to exchange ideas and define proposals for the future of Formula One."

FOTA announced the plans hours after one of its eight members, BMW Sauber, said it was pulling out of the series due to its lack of success and to focus its resources on the rest of its motor business.

The association, which also includes Ferrari and McLaren, has pledged to help the team continue with new owners, just as Brawn emerged from the ashes of Honda after the Japanese automaker withdrew before the new season.

"FOTA teams have immediately consulted each other and are ready to assure all the necessary support to the Swiss-based team, whose membership in the association is confirmed, to continue its involvement in F1," Perillo said.

My thoughts...

- Qualifying Proposal -

To me the current qualifying knock-out system is arguably the best part of F1 at the moment, I love it, it worlks really well, it's always exciting and does throw up some unexpected results. Why change it?

Also, maybe it's just me but I don't understand the new proposal in the slightest. Sounds confusing! What happens?... are 5 cars randomly selected for Q1, then the 2 fastest progress to join the next group of 5 in Q2 (so are there now 7 cars in Q2)... I really don't get it!

- 3 car teams -

Could be a good idea. What they should do is race to experienced drivers in the first 2 cars and the third car has to be used as a young/rookie driver development car or something. And seeing as theres no testing these days, this would be the way drivers wanting to enter F1 gain experience.

YES!

Fucking awesome.

Maybe since the Ferrari's are so shit this year Schumi won't walk away with it! I really hope he wins at least one race while he's back, it will be so cool.

Can you imagine if he got a win at Monza? A podium would be mental but a win, jeez.

I don't think the F60 is getting any more updates this year, so as the races go on it will become increasingly difficult for Ferrari to fight for wins/podiums.

Well you never know with KERS off the line, especially at Singapore and Valencia. Besides now Schumachers there I wouldn't be surprised if they put a couple of updates on ;)

It would be so funny if Schuey out did Kimi...haha ;)

FOTA to propose New Qualifying and 3 Car Teams?

My thoughts...

- Qualifying Proposal -

To me the current qualifying knock-out system is arguably the best part of F1 at the moment, I love it, it worlks really well, it's always exciting and does throw up some unexpected results. Why change it?

Also, maybe it's just me but I don't understand the new proposal in the slightest. Sounds confusing! What happens?... are 5 cars randomly selected for Q1, then the 2 fastest progress to join the next group of 5 in Q2 (so are there now 7 cars in Q2)... I really don't get it!

- 3 car teams -

Could be a good idea. What they should do is race to experienced drivers in the first 2 cars and the third car has to be used as a young/rookie driver development car or something. And seeing as theres no testing these days, this would be the way drivers wanting to enter F1 gain experience.

Both ideas are awful. They are all about cutting costs, are they? I know a good way to cut costs: increase them by 50% by making all the teams run another car!

And Quali as it is now is great. Far from perfect sure, but that "random" idea is horrible.

It would be so funny if Schuey out did Kimi...haha ;)
Wouldn't be surprised if Schumi got the golden treatment from the team anyway.

Besides, we all know Schumi tampers with Kimi's races ;), he's struck with unreliablity/team errors at nearly every race Schumi attends... what chance has he got now that Schumi's actually back racing! :indeed:

Edited by Retro_Link

He'll probably struggle at Valencia, first time in the 2009 car, new circuit, etc. But I seriously think he could be up there at Spa.

I dunno though, remember the first time he raced at Spa? He was in a Jordan and put it 7th. That and remmeber Spa is a long, recognised track. The other drivers have only been to Valencia once and that was in different cars...I dunno, after 20 laps or so in Friday practise i think he's got a chance of flying around the track.

He might have lost a few fractions of a second in his reaction time, but he was a few fractions better than anyone else anyway so...

Both ideas are awful. They are all about cutting costs, are they? I know a good way to cut costs: increase them by 50% by making all the teams run another car!

I understand what you are saying. But its probably nothing like 50%. Even with the expensive materials involved i bet it dosent cost that much more to make extras of everything.

Most of the costs will be in design and putting in to production low numbers of items. If that makes sense?

He might have lost a few fractions of a second in his reaction time, but he was a few fractions better than anyone else anyway so...

:o Shamelessly stolen from James Allen ;)

I can't wait to see him back in F1 and I really hope he manages to pick up a victory at Monza it would be unbeliveable!

He's got enough time to pick up the pace of Valencia over Friday/Saturday practice. Heck if a complete F1 rookie like Algasuari can have an error free race weekend in Hungary, really Schumi should be up to speed in no time.

I think the only thing he may struggle with is his 40 year old body may just get a bit tired over a whole race weekend, but his reactions etc... should still be as sharp.

Schumi can take Monza, just so long as Kimi owns at Spa!!... he's simply awesome there!

3 victories so far, and might have had a fourth last year had the F2008 not been so shite in the wet!

He's got enough time to pick up the pace of Valencia over Friday/Saturday practice. Heck if a complete F1 rookie like Algasuari can have an error free race weekend in Hungary, really Schumi should be up to speed in no time.

I think the only thing he may struggle with is his 40 year old body may just get a bit tired over a whole race weekend, but his reactions etc... should still be as sharp.

Schumi can take Monza, just so long as Kimi owns at Spa!!... he's simply awesome there!

3 victories so far, and might have had a fourth last year had the F2008 not been so shite in the wet!

Oh yeah when flew off the track ;) It's interesting he said after that that him and Felipe were gonna pit in for Inters at the end of that lap..

I understand what you are saying. But its probably nothing like 50%. Even with the expensive materials involved i bet it dosent cost that much more to make extras of everything.

Most of the costs will be in design and putting in to production low numbers of items. If that makes sense?

Well yes obviously. I was exaggerating for effect.

Oh yeah when flew off the track ;) It's interesting he said after that that him and Felipe were gonna pit in for Inters at the end of that lap..
haha yeah! That was one monumental ending to a Grand Prix!

What is it with Ferrari and their mistakes in the rain!!

World Rally Finland

If anyones interested (like me) in following Kimi's progress, the real stages kick off tommorrow, but in Thursdays Super Special Stage ::shrug:, here's how he got on:

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=5625&desc=SS1:

Earlier in the evening the crowd had risen to its feet as Formula 1 star Kimi Raikkonen brought his Abarth Grande Punto S2000 to the start control of his first ever WRC stage.

With the noise of his car almost drowned out by the roar of the spectators Kimi made a perfect debut run - beating his opponent, Swede Sveinung Bieltvedt, and setting the 20th fastest time. His time was just 0.1sec slower than that of his more experienced team-mate, Anton Alen (son of Markku) in an identical car.

Why choose Rally Finland to make your WRC debut?

"Why not? I guess. But there weren't really many choices. I am now on my summer break so I have time to do a rally, and it just so happened to be the Finnish rally. If it was some other rally at the same time then I would probably have done that. Luckily enough for me I've been able to come here, to my home round. It is definitely the hardest rally, so I have heard. But it's also the nicest one. There is everything here; lots of people have come to watch, so it will be a nice new experience."

After contesting events on snow and asphalt this will be your first rally on gravel. How difficult has it been to adapt to the surface?

"I think this is more normal for me on gravel. The roads are a bit faster than on snow and the grip is good and the roads are a bit wider so we will see how we can do. We will try to finish the rally - I don’t know if we can win it or not but we will have fun."

Have you set yourself a specific target for this weekend - is there anybody you want to beat?

"Well, there are not so many similar [super 2000 spec] cars to mine - one Fiat, a few Peugeots and one Skoda - but it would be nice to be close to them on some stages. I think after the first run, on the repeated stages, it will be easier for me. Then I can start to push a bit without many risks. I will test my speed in places, when I think that the stage is a bit better for me, and if we get close to them then that’s fine. It doesn't matter what sport you do you always want to have a competition out of it. So it's hard to just drive about and not care about the times - it’s always going to happen automatically. We'll try to stay on the road and remain hopeful..."

Your car is prepared by Tommi Mäkinen Racing - has Tommi or your co-driver Kaj Lindstrom been giving you any advice ahead of this event?

"The notes here are really important for you to go fast and it is something completely different to what I am used to. All the top guys here drive at similar speed and the notes make a big difference. It just takes time to learn and sometimes you get it wrong and it is not easy to know exactly where to go on the jumps. Hopefully we have the right notes and we shall have some fun, but I am responsible for the right notes."

Could we see you compete again at World level - is rallying just fun for you or could this be a future career?

"Yes definitely. I am still in F1 and still have one more year contract but everything is open and it is nice to be a part of it here. I am a bit too young to do nothing so I will see. It all depends on which way F1 is going. Nobody is exactly sure how it will be. I am in no hurry."

Will you be doing more rallies next year in the WRC?

"I don’t know. If I have the time then maybe. I like learning different things so if I have no testing, and the time, then I will do more rallies - I enjoy it and there is no harm in it".

Kaj Lindstrom Q&A

How much testing have you and Kimi done for Rally Finland?

"We've done two different tests - both in the same Abarth car we'll use this week. The first one was two weeks ago, when we did about 130kms on roads close to Jyvaskyla. We had another test on Monday and Tuesday last week on roads nearer to Jamsa, and on that one we did roughly 200km."

Finland will be Kimi's first proper gravel rally, right?

"Yes, and the first test was his first time ever on gravel with the rally car. That was why we needed to have two separate tests; the first was just so he could get used to driving on gravel and get used to the tyres. He needed to get some mileage in first before he could think about altering the car set-up on the second test."

You've done two snow and one asphalt rally together so far, what was Kimi's reaction after driving his first proper gravel stage?

"Well, they call him Iceman and he certainly kept his cool. There was no big reaction as such. Perhaps the biggest surprise was how easy he seemed to find it. For the first run we were on the same test road we had used to prepare for the winter rally. Even though the conditions were very different at least it was familiar to him and he could slowly build the speed. But it didn't take too long for him to get used to the gravel, so I don't know if it helped him or not - he was pretty fast right from the start."

What car set-up changes did he made?

"With a Super 2000 car there are only really two things you can alter; differentials and suspension. Kimi needed to work on both areas to make the car quicker and make the handling more predictable. It's important to know when you lose grip exactly what the car is going to do - and that was the main thing to sort. We are quite pleased with what we've got now. After the car was sorted it was sent back [to Tommi Makinen Racing] to be stripped and rebuilt before the rally."

Will you test it again before Rally Finland starts?

"We'll check it on Monday - just to do 20 kilometres or so to check everything works okay. That will be our shakedown because as a 'non priority' crew we can't take part in Thursday's official shakedown."

You've co-driven for lots of world class rally drivers; how does Kimi's driving compare?

"His car handling and driving skills, like the lines he takes and so on, are at a very high level - outstanding, actually. On the test I was quite surprised by how quickly he got used to the gravel and got the car to perform. It's a very comfortable feeling for me to be in the car with him in Finland - even though it's a high speed rally. You can see that he controls the car and not the other way around."

Has Kimi had any specific driving tuition for Rally Finland?

"Tommi [Makinen] went in the car with him at our pre-event test but only in the passenger seat. I forced him in for a ride! Tommi did drive Kimi when he was preparing for the winter rallies, but not for this one."

What do you think Kimi will find most difficult about Rally Finland?

The most difficult thing will be making correct pace notes because Kimi's going to be competing against people who are a lot more experineced. Some will have done five years rallying before they even attempted pace notes - and they'll probably have been learning notes for few more years before they tackle Rally Finland. This week Kimi will go there on only his forth rally ever. During the recce he'll drive 13 different stages in two days and making accurate pace notes will be the most demanding job to do. It's the most crucial part of this rally too - if you get the pace notes right then the rest should be fine."

What's your objective next week? Or is this all about fun for Kimi?

"It’s all about fun. We haven't talked about any result that we want to have and I think that's the best way to do it. If we can do three good days without mistakes, and hopefully without punctures, then we will get some result for sure, but with the amount of experience he has there's no point in setting any targets. We'll just see. We'll go there with the aim of having fun and making life difficult for the other drivers!"

Sebastien Loeb has expressed an interest in F1 - Perhaps if it goes well for Kimi he and Seb could swap keys for a while?

"Well... I know that Sebastien is very, very talented and very good in rallying but I would say it is easier to step into Formula 1 from the WRC world than to go the other way around. In F1 you do the races and the circuits and you can go and practise the same corners over and over - that's not like rally where you drive the stages just twice in the recce at 80kph, and then you have to do the same thing at full speed. In my view that's more difficult. You only have to look at drivers like Mika Salo or Mika Hakkinen or even Martin Brundle who did the RAC one year to see that."

So what is the appeal of rallying for Kimi?

"The challenge is one thing. The WRC is not easy and it's totally different to what he does for a living. He wants to see if he can do rallying at the proper level and of course doing Rally Finland has always been a dream for him. I'm just pleased that he's so into it - and that he's happy to have me along too."

And a video from today... he got a poor start, but just look at the result!!

Apparently Vettel (who's good friends with Kimi) and Kubica's may come along as spectators at some point.

Apparently Vettel was all set to get involved somehow, however Red Bull have since disallowed him because of their position in the championships.

Edited by Retro_Link

I can finally leave my thoughts over Hungary and the developments that followed soon after.

Firstly a well done to Mclaren and Hamilton for getting that monumental win which was the first time a Brawn or Red bull Driver didn't win. Same to Kimi for getting to finish second, bet no-one would have predicted the podium. It's a shame about Massa, when the car keeps improving and now he won't be there for it, I hope he makes a full recovery.

Well here is a turn up for the books, Shumacher back in a Ferrari after retiring, he won't get to win the championship but it could be good to see him get a podium or race win at his home track.

Massa's fighting to come back as soon as possible, he even joked about whether he'd let Michael race in Valencia or not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back soon.

"Felipe continues to improve. He is eating, he was walking around the room, he took a shower in the morning, like a normal person. So that's good news," Altmann, Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, said.

"No problem with his eyes, as I've told you before, it's okay.

Altmann said Massa didn't need any special treatments for his rehabilitation process from now on, as he only had to get stronger. He refused to give a specific timeframe for the Brazilian to go racing again, although he stressed he was "sure" Massa would eventually make it back onto the grid.

"It's the only thing he is thinking about, it's his fixed idea. He has no fears at all," Altmann said. "He thinks he would be able to race in Valencia."

Reacting to the news that seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher would take his seat in the Ferrari while he was not able to drive again, Massa reportedly joked: "We have to see if I will let him drive!"

"He was joking with his friends and his brother," Altmann revealed. "He was telling us that he heard about the Schumacher news, and he told us: 'Let's see if I let him drive the car, because I won't give up.'"

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh come on, Kimi has underperformed for the last 2 seasons.

Hakkinen never properly retired, he took a 'sabatical' which he never returned from....

A rematch between him and Schumi IN THE SAME TEAM would contain so much win and awesome that the world would self destruct and no-one would see it.

I hope we get to see a Schumacher V Hamilton contest in the wet at Spa. It would basically be a contest between the two Regenmeisters of their respective generations. The only thing that could top it would be if Senna came back from the dead and joined in.