Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2009

Retro_Link

and less chance of Piquet getting fired, unless he's already gone by then.

Roll on Belgium.

haha, in a round about way, the rumours about him not being in the car come Valencia turned out to be true!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the five in a row of Spa, Monza, Singapore, Sazuka and Interlagos; pretty awesome!! and hopefully Abu Dhabi will be good too!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FERNANDO ALONSO will miss his home race in Valencia next month after Renault were suspended from the European Grand Prix.

The bungling French team were excluded from the next race on August 23 after Alonso's right front wheel flew off after a botched pit stop.

It came just a day after Felipe Massa was struck by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's rear suspension.

And it was only a week after British F2 racer Henry Surtees was killed by a bouncing tyre at Brand Hatch.

Stewards in Hungary ruled Alonso was released despite the wheel not being fitted properly and Renault, who are appealing the decision, did not take any action despite being aware of the problem.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/2555854/Renault-banned-after-tyre-blunder.html

Forgot to mention Alguersuari today! Good enough debut, managed to finish infront of Buemi, here's his thoughts...

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=46488

Alguersuari admits physical struggle

Jaime Alguersuari was delighted to have made it to the chequered flag on his grand prix debut in Hungary, but admitted the physical toll left him “destroyed” in the closing stages.

Alguersuari completed an impressively assured maiden GP weekend by finishing the race in 15th place, one spot ahead of Toro Rosso team-mate Sebastien Buemi.

The 19-year-old was well satisfied with his performance but confessed that he had found 69 laps of the Hungaroring a gruelling experience.

“I am very happy to have finished, but the last five laps were very difficult from the physical point of view,” he said.

“I found it hard to keep the car on the pace, but I am very satisfied.

“Five laps from the end I was completely destroyed.

“I had a lot of pain in the lower back and upper back, but I just settled down in my head and in the end I could manage to make my fastest lap time at the end.”

Alguersuari, who carved himself a slice of F1 history by becoming the sport’s youngest ever competitor, said he had treated the race as a learning experience and achieved his goal of an error-free performance.

“P15 is not so bad, but the main objective was to complete the 70 laps, with no mistakes, maintaining my pace,” he said.

“I have learned a lot but I have to say there are some aspects of F1 which made me think, ‘shit this is tough’.”

I happened to watch the end of it today and my brother had mentioned to me how Kimi is supposedly an alcoholic so I burst out laughing when Lewis sprayed his champagne everywhere and Kimi just started drinking it straight away.

That is my two cents on the world of F1. :heh:

Yeah Kimi always makes an effort to give it a good swig before spraying... and why not 'ey!!... I would!!

Plus he's Finnish and they love their Vodka!!

HAHA I wonder if Mika was the same? *youtubes*

I always work Sundays unless there's a race on, but come Valencia i've made sure i'm working; its gonna be so boring.

Valencia Officials are telling the FIA to think of the fans regarding the Renault ban.

Wonder if fans will be asking for their money back, or just end up not going, should Alonso not be there. Either way it's bound to be a bit of a commercial failure.

Also, just doing the maths, Mark is 18.5 points behind Jenson, meaning all he has to do is outscore him by 3,3,3,3,3,2,2 (or more, in any order or combination) at the remaining 7 races and he'll win by at least 0.5 points!

With the state of Brawn atm, there's every chance of that happening!

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5456220,00.html

Looks like Massa's F1 could well be over as he suffered damage to his left eye :( If his sight isn't near good enough he'd be the first to admit it'd be dangerous for him and the other drivers if he was on the track.

I can't believe it :'( Massa is a brilliant driver and he's matured so much over this last year. He's a nice guy and he's provided us with some great memories over the years. His pole position lap at Singapore is scarily fast and his double overtake at Canada (Trulli and Heidfeld was it?) was simply stunning.

Hopefully he'll be ok but argh :(

Damn, his career could be over?

That just makes me even more annoyed over Hamilton pipping him to the World Championship. He deserved it, and now he might nto get another chance.

That makes space at Ferrari for Alonso?::shrug:

Yeah I read that and it's not looking too good is it! Really hope he can make a full recovery, but yeah any long term damage to his sight and that's it really! :sad:

Yeah the rumour mill has stepped up a gear saying that Ferrari could put Alonso in the car for Valencia!

We don't even have confirmation he's going to Ferrari yet! I hate some of the F1 fans out there... go on about him replacing Kimi for ages, and as soon as this Massa thing starts, now they wanna stick him in his seat!

I can't really see it happening because IMO that's extremely disrespectful to Massa and Ferrari come across with this whle family atmosphere, so I'd be surprised and shocked to see them do anything like that!

Not sure who they'd bring in in his place though, apparently Schumachers out the picture due to injury, and they don't ever seem keen on using their test drivers, but that's the most likely as I see it.

Also who's to say Alonso would be so great in the Ferrari anyway? Kimi's not been anywhere near as superior in it as he was in the McLaren, and over 2 years on they still seem relectant to really design him a car that suits him... so with years of driving a Renault (and a McLaren), there's nothing to say Alonso will suddenly shine anyway!

Edited by Retro_Link

It would be an absolute tragedy for great career like Massa's to end this way. He'd definitly be a huge loss to the Ferrari team of which he's been a vital component these past years and very much missed on the grid in general. I was genuinely touched by his obvious passion and emotion at last year's finale in Brazil and if he does have problems I and many other fans would definitly miss him. Get well soon Filipe!

forza_massa.jpg

Edited by gaggle64

Yeah I read that and it's not looking too good is it! Really hope he can make a full recovery, but yeah any long term damage to his sight and that's it really! :sad:

Yeah the rumour mill has stepped up a gear saying that Ferrari could put Alonso in the car for Valencia!

We don't even have confirmation he's going to Ferrari yet! I hate some of the F1 fans out there... go on about him replacing Kimi for ages, and as soon as this Massa thing starts, now they wanna stick him in his seat!

I can't really see it happening because IMO that's extremely disrespectful to Massa and Ferrari come across with this whle family atmosphere, so I'd be surprised and shocked to see them do anything like that!

Not sure who they'd bring in in his place though, apparently Schumachers out the picture due to injury, and they don't ever seem keen on using their test drivers, but that's the most likely as I see it.

Also who's to say Alonso would be so great in the Ferrari anyway? Kimi's not been anywhere near as superior in it as he was in the McLaren, and over 2 years on they still seem relectant to really design him a car that suits him... so with years of driving a Renault (and a McLaren), there's nothing to say Alonso will suddenly shine anyway!

Hah, that would be good, let Schumi back in the car. With a few years absence and a slow-ish car, maybe things will be a bit more equal! :p

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER - what a story that would be. Jeez imagine if he won the championship- would he get massa's points?

No he wouldn't get Massa's points, he'd start from 0.

Tbh he's the most likely candidate to get the drive (it's between him and Bourdais tbh, unless Renault ARE banned and then Alonso might be allowed the drive).

Schumacher driving would be brilliant but he'd have to get used to the car, get used to Valencia (never driven around it before) and hope his fitness is back after his accident in February. That said, if he's racing at Spa... :D

Edit: Just read on planet f1 that Schumacher would consider a comeback :o

Edited by Goron_3

Manager rules out Schumacher return:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77396

Massa could leave hospital in 10 days:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77391

And I'd imagine good old Piquet has just signed his P45...

Piquet and Briatore in war of words:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77393

"Flavio is a business man, but he doesn't understand s*** about F1,"

ROFL!!

I can fully understand Piquets frustration, I bet it's an absolute nightmare having Flavio as your boss with his wonderboy Alonso!

But that's a bit of a stupid thing to say because even if he had been replaced he could have left his window with Renault open for a future return... such a comment could close it for good and it also doesn't looks good to other F1 teams, that he would publically bad mouth his team boss/manager.

waving_smiley.gif Piquet!

BMW just announced they are quitting f1 at the end of this season.

Wow. :/

Not surprised to be honest, they've been awful this season and since they took over Sauber they had '3 years to win the championship.' I just hope that it doesn't mean Renualt and Toyota follows suit.

I think the real questions now are, who will replace them and where will Heidfeld and Kubica go, because they're both excellent F1 drivers and they definately deserve a drive next year. I hope Prodrive are brought in as a replacement as Dave Richards is something of a legend.

Yeah there were plenty of rumours yesterday that this was gonna happen.

There's likely to be a seat for both drivers somewhere, be it in one of the new teams, Force India, or a vacated top spot... though Heidfeld may struggle to find a drive.

Epsilon Euskadi interested in BMW slot

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77404

Epsilon Euskadi would be interested in taking the BMW Sauber team's vacant slot in Formula 1 in 2010, if the German squad is not sold on to new owners.

Epsilon was one of the teams to submit an entry for next year's championship, but in the end the FIA opted to give entries to Campos Meta1, Manor Grand Prix and Team US F1.

FOTA vows to help save BMW Sauber

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77406

Just as FOTA moved to help keep Brawn GP on the grid after Honda withdrew from F1 last December, the organisation's secretary general Simone Perillo said on Wednesday that the teams' body had held immediate talks to confirm its support for the Hinwil-based operation.

EDIT: SCHUMI TO FILL IN FOR FELIPE!!

Personally, not keen on seeing him back, I think it's best Ferrari move on from that era!

Edited by Retro_Link

I think both Kubica and Heifeld will be able to find decent seats if they need to. Heidfeld is as solid pair of hands as you'll find on the grid and I'm convinced Kubica has championship potential written all over him. Crazy times. This years silly season (which started last week after Bourdais' ejection from TR) is officially on and looks set to be very interesting indeed.

EDIT: SCHUMI TO FILL IN FOR FELIPE!!

Personally, not keen on seeing him back, I think it's best Ferrari move on from that era!

Schumacher to make F1 return in Spain

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77418

Ferrari plans to draft in seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher to replace Felipe Massa until the Brazilian is fit enough to return to the cockpit.

According to Ferrari's website, Schumacher has said he is ready and will undergo a specific training programme over the next few days before being confirmed as Massa's replacement for the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23.

Holy crap, literally just heard this on BBC News. Bizzare times for F1. It'll be fascinating to see how he matches up against the likes of Hamilton. Does he still have the fitness at 40 though? I would've have just plumped for my reserve driver.