NEurope

Right, so Button in the pole then!

Your thoughts?

How do you Brits (pardon me if this is derogative in any way) cope with Hamilton's suckiness this season by the way? Does Jenson offer a good enough substitute?

I've never liked Lewis. This season he seems to be a tape recorder:

'That car is crap but I was awesome and that was the best i've ever raced, EVER. Too bad the car is shit but oh well they try hard'.

Grrr. It's so good to see Button do well, he's such a nice guy and genuinely appreciates what he's got. Lewis at the moment reminds me of Button when he started out; an arrogant idiot.

That said, i'd rather the brawns had a few retirements this season to make things interesting, I really don't want them running away with it.

The Brawns are heavier than there rivals, but Kimi's lap wasn't on a bad fuel load either, heavier than anyone behind Barrichello in the top 8.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/5/9393.html

We know Kimi has a good chance with being able to get pole off the line thanks to Kers but as we know, Monaco can spring a surprise result especially when it rains.

Awesome!! :bouncy:

Not sure how effective KERS will be off the start, as it's a pretty short run down to the first corner, but still, at least Ferrari are seemingly back and Kimi's in with a great chance of a win!

Fingers crossed!!

Wow, Vettel was very light. Surprised he didn't do better in that case.

Hamilton clawing his way up from the back could very well be the only thing of interest tomorrow. Say what you like, that boy's good value entertainment.

Wow, Vettel was very light. Surprised he didn't do better in that case.

Yeah got held up by Nakajima unfortunately :( Not very lucky atm is he.

Hamilton clawing his way up from the back could very well be the only thing of interest tomorrow. Say what you like, that boy's good value entertainment.
This is Monaco remember!...

That's my point - he ain't overtaking, ain't nobody gonna be overtaking.

That's my point - he ain't overtaking, ain't nobody gonna be overtaking.

Schumacher started dead last in 2006 and finished 6th :) Was easily the fastest man on the track by a mile.

Pretty dull race overall as Monaco usually is. Ferrari back to some sort of form.

Button for the Drivers championship, 5 wins out of 6, Only Rubens can challenge him right now.

I love to see Hamiliton doing so badly :D.

Button to win this season with his eyes closed :).

Teams demand FIA ditch 2010 rules

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75610

Formula 1 teams have written to FIA president Max Mosley requesting that next year's regulations are scrapped if they are to commit their future to the sport, AUTOSPORT has learned.

Although Mosley hinted on race morning at the Monaco Grand Prix that he was open to a compromise deal about plans for a £40 million budget cap, the teams have now made it clear the conditions by which they will continue to race.

In a letter signed by all teams and sent to Mosley shortly before the race, the teams demanded that the FIA ditches the planned 2010 technical and sporting regulations and reverts to the current 2009 version.

This would then be used as the starting point for framing new regulations to bring costs under control - with agreed changes like a refueling ban still expected to go ahead as planned.

As well as the rule changes, the teams want guarantees about the governance of the sport and the reestablishment of protocols, like the use of the Formula 1 Commission, to ensure there is proper framing of the rules going forward.

A FOTA source said that in exchange for the FIA agreeing to such action, the teams have promised a "willingness to commit their future to the sport." It is understood that the teams are prepared to commit not just to next year, but until 2012.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali confirmed the existence of the letter shortly after the Monaco Grand Prix.

"What we have asked is to go back to the rules of this year, the 2009 rules," he said. "And then see together what we can do in order to make changes for next year.

"Bear in mind that for sure the cost is something that all the teams are fully committed to work on, but the cost is something that is related to the business of the teams.

"We know what we can invest. We know what we can do, and this is something that the teams can discuss internally and decide on their own what they can afford to keep the value of F1 at the standard that we know. It is not something that we feel should be involved with somebody else."

While there has been talk of a compromise 45 million Euros budget cap in place for 2011, sources have suggested that the teams are still far apart from the FIA in agreeing a way forward.

It is understood that one suggestion being looked at is for the teams to invoke a 'Cost Control System', which will be regulated by FOTA rather than the FIA, to help bring finances under control.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he was optimistic about a solution being found before Friday's entry deadline to the championship, Domenicali said: "I don't know really. I think the points that we have put on the table are pretty clear, and I think we raised some issues in the meeting that we had.

"It was as we said constructive, but there is an ongoing process to discuss. I am sure it will be a very important week because the entry to this championship has to be finalised by Friday. I think they will be long days."

FOTA vice chairman John Howett echoed Domenicali's reluctance to get too optimistic about a deal being easily reached.

"I think we have to wait and see," he said. "There are still some gaps. While there has been definite movement, I think we have to wait and see what the solution is and whether it is accepted or not."

Brawn chief executive officer Nick Fry said that the push by the teams about using the 2009 regulations again in 2010 was not indicative of the discussions having broken down.

"No. It is not a stalemate. It is normal negotiations. The sides have some differences of view in terms of how the regulations should look, and once one side has put a view forward, the other side responds - and so on and so forth. I would consider that to be perfectly normal.

"We are all in favour of a degree of financial responsibility. I know there is no team that is proposing a financial free for all, we all represent big companies and the economic times are not appropriate to be spending a lot of money. The only discussion is how you do it, and what the right mechanism is.

"We have a huge range of teams - teams that want to come into the championship that are small and have limited resources and coming from lower formulas; we have teams who do have a huge amount of infrastructure and we have teams like ourselves that were lucky enough to benefit from manufacturer backing but now don't have that, and teams that are still very large and enjoy manufacturer backing.

"And the issue is how you actually find a compromise that enables the little guys to have a fighting chance and the big guys to downsize their companies in a sensible period of time. And that is not easy."

FOTA members are expected to meet later this week to discuss their stance towards lodging entries by Friday's deadline, but much depends on the FIA's response to the latest demands.

As for Monaco, was boring as usual!

But yay, podium for Kimi! and great drive by Massa.

Car worked really well on the tyres and they both showed moments of great pace.

Ferrari now up to 4th in the constructors table! and I think they can target 2nd by the end of the season.

Edited by Retro_Link

Max Mosley is looking more and more a joke to me.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090527154324.shtml

Hungarian Grand Prix in doubt

The Hungarian Grand Prix beyond 2012 is in doubt, reports out of the central European country on Wednesday said.

The economics and political daily Vilaggazdasag claims the Republic's government is questioning its commitment to the event, despite the apparent extension of the race deal last year for the period 2012-2016.

The newspaper said it has seen material showing that finance and local government ministries no longer support the Grand Prix due to a lack of central funds and the recent weakening of the Hungarian currency.

Cancelling the race prior to 2012 is not feasible, reportedly because the race promotion fees until then are payable whether the events are staged or not.

The Hungaroring, in Mogyorod about a thirty minute drive from historic Budapest, hosted its first Grand Prix in 1986, the first ever behind the Iron Curtain.

Really this is good news isn't it?!

However, being a classic/traditional style circuit, I just hope it gets replaced by the re-introduction of another classic/traditional circuit, such as a perminant Suzuka fixture, Canada, a US venue, the A1 Ring... Silverstone?...

Oh who am I kidding!... New Middle Eastern wasteland venue 2012 here we come!

It'll make way for the Indian race no doubt...

Best track line up (imo):

1. Albert Park, Melborune

2. Mayalsia

3. China

4. Jerez

5. Monaco (simply because of its history)

6. Turkey

7. Silverstone

8. Hockenheim (old)

9. A1 Ring

10. Indianapolis (spell?)

11. Montreal <3

12. Mexico (great track layout)

13. Nurburgring (obv not the whole thing, the short one they used a few seasons ago)

14. Spa

15. Monza

16. Suzuka

17. Interlagos

No Singapore/Valencia/Bahrain/Hungary crap.

Can't comment on Jerez or Mexico as I've never seen a race on those citcuits, but I completely agree on the rest.

Mind you, I can't help but feel sometimes is Indianapolis really the best circuit that the US can offer? Sure the banked section is a great unique feature to still have, but the infield section is so boring in comparison!

Actually, I do quite like Fuji... for the inevitable wet race and awesome 1mile straight, and would probably substitute China.

Would you not have Singapore for it's uniqueness though? I'd happily reserve judgement for a second year [think they are gonna make a few changes], unlike Valencia!

And also, what with the likes of Monaco, Spain, Valencia and Hungary on todays calander, thankfully we don't still have Imola!

Edited by Retro_Link

Can't comment on Jerez or Mexico as I've never seen a race on those citcuits, but I completely agree on the rest.

Mind you, I can't help but feel sometimes is Indianapolis really the best circuit that the US can offer? Sure the banked section is a great unique feature to still have, but the infield section is so boring in comparison!

Actually, I do quite like Fuji... for the inevitable wet race and awesome 1mile straight, and would probably substitute China.

Would you not have Singapore for it's uniqueness though? I'd happily reserve judgement for a second year [think they are gonna make a few changes], unlike Valencia!

And also, what with the likes of Monaco, Spain, Valencia and Hungary on todays calander, thankfully we don't still have Imola!

The Long Beach circuit in the US was pretty goood waaay back in the days of Grand Prix East and Grand Prix West. As well as that, in the States there is Road America and the famous Laguna Seca. Plenty of options for decent circuits but I personally love Indy so I'd vote to keep that.

Kyalami in South Africa is an old track that always used to be a great race. Plus their isn't a race in Africa at the moment.

This would be my 'dream calendar' I suppose.

1. Australia - Melbourne

2. Malaysia - Kuala Lumpar

3. South Africa - Kyalami

4. Spain - Jerez

5. Monaco - Monte Carlo

6. Turkey - Istanbul

7. Canada - Montreal

8. USA East - Indianapolis

9. Britain - Silverstone

10. Germany - Hockenheim (old circuit :()

11. Austria - A1 Ring

12. Portugal - Algarve (really good new circuit used in A1GP)

13. Belgium - Spa

14. Italy - Monza

15. European - Nurburgring

16. Singapore - Marina Bay

17. USA West - Long Beach

18. China - Shanghai

19. Japan - Suzuka

If 19 is too many and I have to cut one it would be Singapore. :)

Laguna Seca? Would F1 cars even get down the corkscrew without breaking off their front wing?

Yeah I love watching Moto GP at Laguna Seca, but I wonder have they ever tried racing any type of Formula '...' cars on that track?

Old Hockenheim is such a brilliant track. Anyone seen Rubens first win there in 2000? Started in last place, amazing drive.

I probably did see it, but can't remember it properly. It really was such an awesome track though.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75680

FOTA teams submit F1 entries for 2010

All the current Formula 1 teams have submitted their entries to the FIA for the 2010 championship, FOTA confirmed on Friday.

The Formula One Teams' Association said, however, that their entries were conditional on a new Concorde Agreement being signed by all parties before 12th June.

"The renewal of the Concorde Agreement will provide security for the future of the sport by binding all parties in a formal relationship that will ensure stability via sound governance," said FOTA in a statement.

The teams' body also said that the entries were conditional on the regulations being based on 2009 rules, "identical for all competitors and amended in accordance with proposals that FOTA has submitted to the FIA."

"All FOTA teams' entries for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship have been submitted today on the understanding that (a) all FOTA teams will be permitted to compete during the 2010 Formula One season on an identical regulatory basis and (b) that they may only be accepted as a whole," added the statement.

"All FOTA teams now look forward with optimism to collaborating proactively and productively with the FIA, with a view to establishing a solid foundation on which the future of a healthy and successful Formula One can be built, providing lasting stability and sound governance."

The FIA announced earlier this year the introduction of a budget cap system from the 2010 season.

Those teams adhering to the system would get greater technical freedom, something that most FOTA teams have spoken against.

At least four of the current teams have threatened to withdraw from the sport if the two-tier system came into play next year.

The window to submit entries for 2010 closes today.

Prodrive lodges F1 entry for 2010

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75671

Lola confirms 2010 F1 entry

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75676

So that's Prodrive, Lola, Campos Meta F1 and US F1...

Isn't there only 3 additional places in 2010? If so, anyone know how it'll be decided?