NEurope
Dante

Shigeru Miyamoto's Patent

The details can be found here.

There seem to be 3 main modes:

LEGENDOFOO.png

Game -- Play through the game normally. Hint system is available but not forced. So hardcore gamers could just play the game regularly and enjoy the challenge while more casual gamers can get hints if they get really stuck

Digest -- The game goes through important scenes (both movie and gameplay) in order. Essentially the game plays itself in this mode if you will. But you have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing from that exact point. Plus when you choose to take control you are given the appropriate equipment and stats for that part of the game. No saving though, but it seems to be unneeded

Scenes -- essentially playthrough any puzzle or scene again. Like digest you are given the appropriate equipment and such.

What Nintendo is planning on doing is pretty insane and far more ambitious than some of you realize yet. This just might be the "gateway game" that gamers, casuals and non-gamers could all enjoy.

The main idea is Shigeru Miyamoto wants harder nintendo games without alienating casuals, non-gamers, the unintelligent, etc by having built in walkthroughs for the gamers that having touble with the game.

4gor7.png

[0106]While a player is playing the game, the player encounters the "puzzle" set in the game as described above. FIG. 11 shows an exemplary scene in which the "puzzle" is set. In FIG. 11, how to open a door 103 is set as the "puzzle". Specifically, the player needs to solve the "puzzle" in some manner so as to open the door 103 and continue the game. Here, in order to respond to the "puzzle", that is, in order to open the door 103, it is necessary to press a switch provided at a predetermined position on a floor.

5b4rj9.png

[0107]In the scene shown in FIG. 11, when a player cannot find how to open the door 103, a player may press the hint button 102. In this case, as shown in FIG. 12, a relatively small window 104 is displayed in a portion of the upper right area of the screen so as to reproduce moving images (hereinafter, referred to as an approach movie) indicating how to open the door 103. In FIG. 12, an approach movie representing a state where the player character 101 moves onto a switch 105 provided on the floor for opening the door 103, and stands on the switch 105 (that is, presses the switch 105) is reproduced. By viewing the approach movie, the player can know how to open the door 103. Therefore, the player moves the player character 101 to the switch 105 provided on the floor, and causes the player character 101 to stand thereon, as indicated by the approach movie, so as to open the door 103, thereby continuing the game.

34rvonm.png

[0109]Next, an outline of a process performed when the "digest" is selected from the title menu shown in FIG. 8 will be described. When the "digest" is selected, a digest movie, which has been previously set, is reproduced. FIG. 13 shows an exemplary game screen displayed when the "digest" is selected. In FIG. 13, a digest movie is displayed in a movie area 110, and a scene name 111 representing a current scene is displayed below the movie area 110. The digest movie includes, for example, a "played moving image" representing a recorded image of a game screen obtained by a game developer having actually played the game, an "event movie" which is inserted in the game as necessary, and the like. For example, the game is played in accordance with a scenario having a storyline representing the order of forest".fwdarw."cave".fwdarw."tower".fwdarw."temple". In this case, the content of the digest movie is reproduced as a digest such that the game starts with a scene of "forest" and advances to "cave".fwdarw."tower".fwdarw."temple". A player is allowed to know a main game story and scenario, and a game plot by viewing the digest movie.

2l96t1h.jpg

[0110]Further, in a case where a player presses a predetermined button, for example, the operation button 72d while the digest movie is being reproduced, the player is allowed to play the game from the scene being reproduced at this time. For example, it is assumed that, when fifteen minutes has passed from the start of the reproduction of the digest movie, a played moving image for "temple" corresponding to one of stages of the game is being reproduced. At this time, when a player presses the operation button 72d, an inquiry message 112 for inquiring whether or not the game is to be played from this scene is displayed as shown in FIG. 14. When a player responds positively to the message, the saved data (hereinafter, referred to as digest saved-data) for digest, which has been previously set, is read. As described below, the digest saved-data are saved data which is previously set so as to correspond to the scenes, respectively, in the game. In a case shown in FIG. 14, based on the assumption that the game has been played up to the moment immediately before the temple, the saved data having been previously set is read. Therefore, a level and various statuses (parameter such as HP) of the player character are advanced to some degree as compared to those provided when the game is started. Further, items which may belong to the player character when the game has been normally played and advanced to the temple are set as items belonging to the player character. Specifically, saved data to be used when attacking against the temple is ready is read. It is possible to start the game from the scene of "temple" by reading the digest saved-data described above. However, in this game, data of the game which is started in this manner is not saved. That is, only the data of the game obtained by a user performing attacking by him/herself are stored, so that a user who performs attacking by him/herself may not reduce his/her interest in the game. Hereinafter, a game play in which the game is started, while the digest movie is being reproduced, in a state where no data of the game is saved, is referred to as a game played in a "digest mode". However, data may be saved in the digest mode when it is unnecessary to consider that the interest in the game is maintained.

[0111]A difference between the user saved-data and the digest saved-data will be described. The user saved-data can be "loaded" when the "game" is selected from the title menu, and the user saved-data is generated and stored when a player issues an instruction for the saving while playing the game. On the other hand, the digest saved-data is different from the user saved-data in that the digest saved-data is previously set based on the game storyline as described above, and is stored as a part of the game program in the game disc 4. As described above, the saving is not allowed in the digest mode, whereas the user saved-data to be stored is obtained only when a user plays the game from the beginning, and performs attacking by him/herself.

very odd idea I would say but it's a miyamoto idea so I guess to has to be somewhat good (cough except wii music cough ) :D :D I kid i kid

I honestly couldn't read that for whatever reason, so I'm just going off of your synopsis.

Umm sounds good I suppose, hints for those that need them, but hopefully unintrusive for those of use that don't.

Digest sounds well a bit odd but cool at the same time. Sometimes a particular part may just be too bleh to want to do or if you find your unable to devote the time needed to the game, but want to know what happens. I'd actually love to see all the MGS games with digest....They're already 1/3-1/2 movie, so why not watch them as such. I imagine this to be somewhat similar to the Shenmue DVD that came with Shenmue II on the xbox.

Scenes....wel I guess that gives replay, you can jump to your favorite puzzles at any time, sounds like hearting levels in LBP.

MEGATON!!!

THIS pretty much proves that Nintendo is still wanting to attract the hardcore audience. Its all part of their big plan. They're now wanting to focus on getting casual gamers to move up to more hardcore experiences. First they got them interested in gaming with Wii Sports, then they started getting them familiar with more traditional games with Mario Kart Wii, and now, I would assume they're trying to get them to play what we would call hardcore games by giving them the kind of thing they need to make up for what we call "gamers intuition" before they are able to develop their own sense of it.

This is just brilliant.

I can see it being revealed fully with Zelda Wii at E3 this year.

Definitely the next Zelda. This will be the big thing at E3 in June.

Miyamoto-san has been talking about bridging the gap between casual and hardcore, so this makes perfect sense.

By the first pictures I thought this was a troll, but this can be interesting. Its obvious its being used for the first time in the new Zelda, I just hope we can switch off the hint system on the main menu so it isn't tempting to use every time we get stuck.

And I like how casuals are basically treated as retards.

Well this is confusing, but it does have a strange air of potential about it.

Of course, the problem is: even if Nintendo do strike a perfect balance between being hard enough for the core crowd, and accessible enough for the newcomer, the mere mention of the term "accessible" will send scores of elitist pigs into "ZOMG. It's been dumbed down!" mode.

The main idea is Shigeru Miyamoto wants harder nintendo games without alienating casuals, non-gamers, the unintelligent, etc by having built in walkthroughs for the gamers that having touble with the game.

And I like how casuals are basically treated as retards.

My first thoughts exactly.

Anyway, it's good to know future games won't have a Navi telling us what to do all the time.

So it´s a feature that saves you the time off going to the internet and checking what your supposed to do?

Also it means that you can let your video game masturbate by turning this on.

It´s playing with it self

I always hate trying to make sense of patents.

It seems pretty clear that this is a new way for everyone to get enjoyment from games- Nintendo always say they try to design games that everyone can actually complete.

I think they should take the "two hint" system from Tomb Raider (where one is vague and the other is detailed).

Anyway, this is the kind of stuff I want from Nintendo - proper games made easier for casuals using extra options.

Hmmmm, if it means they don't dilute the games for gamers, just have a mode making them accessible for new gamers...then that's fine isn't it? I still question how new gamers would actually be attracted by it though....it will just help the people who use guides and the internet to help them through....Tales will love it!!!

MEGATON!!!

THIS pretty much proves that Nintendo is still wanting to attract the hardcore audience. Its all part of their big plan. They're now wanting to focus on getting casual gamers to move up to more hardcore experiences. First they got them interested in gaming with Wii Sports, then they started getting them familiar with more traditional games with Mario Kart Wii, and now, I would assume they're trying to get them to play what we would call hardcore games by giving them the kind of thing they need to make up for what we call "gamers intuition" before they are able to develop their own sense of it.

This is just brilliant.

I can see it being revealed fully with Zelda Wii at E3 this year.

Or they're just making hardcore games more accessible to the casual audience? :/.

I didn't really get much of the patent nor how it'd help my enjoyment of the game, seems like they'd rather dick about making the games easier then they used to be though.

The Hint system is a good idea. The Digest mode has its merits, but I find it disconcerting to think that Zelda might be reduced to some sort of cartoon that plays itself.

OK, I do admit Zelda games are too complicated for casual and even mainstream gamers (I use Emasher's definitions, because I agree with them). Part of me thinks it'd be good if everyone could see the whole game, but part of me thinks "Hey, they learn how to play Halo and Call of Duty. It's their loss if they can't be bothered to appreciate Zelda".

There's no doubt it's a revolutionary idea, but when I think back to how I enjoyed previous Zeldas, with all the sidequests etc, it's hard to see how that could be turned into a linear "movie" that you can dip in and out of. If you chose to play the whole "Digest" mode (even though that would defeat the point), then hopefully that would be nothing like the full game (and yes, I do realise that's what "digest" means, but it's just a thought!)

Just told this to my brother, he restored faith in Nintendo...

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, as he is at this precise moment writing a Thread on /v/ to tell everyone how awesome this is.

Anyways, about the patent:

Its a damn good idea, now my sister won't tell me everytime for me to pass her the game,as she can see how to do it ^^

Edit: To the /v/ lurkers, if you find a thread at /v/ with a guy named Jadosra saying a big random post about how Nintendo rules and stuff (probably what he will write), please warn me and link to me in PM or in this topic.

Well, not exactly.

Now not only will he limit my time at Steam, as he will at my Wii ;__________;

I just hope he doesn't order me to change my name from Maase to Jadosra at the Wii, I hate that name.

But yes, its kinda good to have one good brother buying his games and letting me playing them :D

I think this is a good thing. It'll give us gamers a harder game, while providing hints (if necessary) for those who are finding it a little too hard. The scene bit is particularly good as if there is a particular puzzle or area of the game you really enjoyed but can't be bothered to play through the thing again to get to it then this'll allow you easy access to it.

I don't see it as a way for Nintendo to dumb down their titles. The hint system will most likely be able to be turned off or changed to more subtle settings, giving more vague hints.

I'm quite surprised seeing everyone being positive about this... Is the The one time where everyone can be happy?

This restored his faith in nintendo? It's not even that great?

You don't quite understand. Something like this proves that Nintendo still want to develop for the Hardcore. Its basically a system that helps people play hardcore games who wouldn't normally be able to. But this would be pointless in an easy, bridge title, or casual game, so this proves that Nintendo ARE still making hardcore games.

You don't quite understand. Something like this proves that Nintendo still want to develop for the Hardcore. Its basically a system that helps people play hardcore games who wouldn't normally be able to. But this would be pointless in an easy, bridge title, or casual game, so this proves that Nintendo ARE still making hardcore games.

Wouldn't I, the hardcore gamer, just rather buy a game developed entirely around my needs though?

I don't get why some people think this is such big news or that it makes any real difference. The next Zelda, for example, isn't going to be any harder then Twilight Princess, which was a joke of a walkthrough.

Also I swear Metroid Prime has always done something like this anyway?