NEurope
conzer16

€ / £ Exchange Rate

Yeah, that really stopped Ireland, Cyprus, Finland and Malta, didn't it?

We're part of the EEC, why shouldn't we join the worlds safest currency? The only reason is nationalism, and in my mind nationalism is for people who have nothing to be proud of so they try to claim the achievements of people from a roughly similar place to themselves.

Bollocks. I dislike this country if I'm honest and I think "nationalists" can shove their view up their backside. I just like the pound, and prefer it over the Euro. I see no desperate need to change, so why bother? Why is that such a hard opinion for you to consider?

I can't see any huge advantage gains for us if we change, so I don't see why we should bother.

Easier trade with the rest of Europe = cheaper goods.

Easier when holidaying.

The main reason: unlike the Pound, the Euro is incredibly secure as a currency. Sterling is dying a slow, painful death. We can let it, the UK's economy, and our own finances die with it, and then scrape ourselves back up when we take the Euro up as a last ditch measure, of kill off the Pound now at a level of almost perfect parity and bolster the EU's position of being the world's economic powerhouse.

Bollocks. I dislike this country if I'm honest and I think "nationalists" can shove their view up their backside. I just like the pound, and prefer it over the Euro. I see no desperate need to change, so why bother? Why is that such a hard opinion for you to consider?

Because its shit. How much different can be a fucking coin? You can still stamp the queen there.

Yeah, that really stopped Ireland, Cyprus, Finland and Malta, didn't it?

Then they must have different attitudes. British people commonly have the attitude that they don't really want to be that closely associated with Europe or adopting their currency. And in my opinion that's strongly to do with the fact we have always been an island and somewhat disconnected from other countries. Other islands are also disconnected yet haven't adopted such an view, but I still believe being an island has strongly affected our view.

A silly example but still proves a point- in the Eurovision countries directly adjacent to each other commonly give each other maximum points, while the disconnected UK commonly scores nothing/next to nothing. It's a song contest, but as Wogan nicely put it, it shows each countries' favourites.

Because its shit. How much different can be a fucking coin? You can still stamp the queen there.

I couldn't give a toss about the queen. I wish the royal family would fuck off in all honesty.

I just prefer using our currency to yours. Simple. I find the Euro coins rather annoying to use compared to the Pound and don't want to bother going through the big change when most people seem perfectly happy with using the pound.

Also. "Quid". I like it. Sue me, but I want to keep saying it.

I just like the pound, and prefer it over the Euro. I see no desperate need to change, so why bother? Why is that such a hard opinion for you to consider?

You're being offered a chance to secure your own money, and the economy of the country, and because it can always be done once the economy is completely down the shitter at massive expense to, well, everyone, why bother doing it now? With the current economic climate, the change is needed.

I find it hard to consider the opinion that you 'prefer' the Euro the Pound, and yet claim to not be a nationalist. Do you like the way the coins and notes look that much?

I just prefer using our currency to yours. Simple. I find the Euro coins rather annoying to use compared to the Pound.

In what possible way is it "annoying" to use a coin? If it's a case of not recognising the denominations on the fly, you'll get used to that in a matter of days.

Keep saying "Quid", I'm not stopping you. I dare say people will keep using it as a slang term even after the change - I probably will.

I find it hard to consider the opinion that you 'prefer' the Euro the Pound, and yet claim to not be a nationalist. Do you like the way the coins and notes look that much?

You're sounding like the Daily Mail. Stop putting words in my mouth, and making me seem like because I prefer something I HAVE to be a nationalist.

I like USING the pound, more than the Euro. I find it annoying and fiddly (I.e the coins). What the heck is so hard to gather about that simple statement. I have used the Euro enough, and I find it complicated etc etc. I don't want to change the currency I use when I'm perfectly content with what I have.

Please stop trying to label me as a nationalist, I'm rather annoyed that you're attempting to do so.

Then they must have different attitudes. British people commonly have the attitude that they don't really want to be that closely associated with Europe or adopting their currency. And in my opinion that's strongly to do with the fact we have always been an island and somewhat disconnected from other countries. Other islands are also disconnected yet haven't adopted such an view, but I still believe being an island has strongly affected our view.

A silly example but still proves a point- in the Eurovision countries directly adjacent to each other commonly give each other maximum points, while the disconnected UK commonly scores nothing/next to nothing. It's a song contest, but as Wogan nicely put it, it shows each countries' favourites.

Or maybe the song sucks?

I agree many of those countries vote for each other, but they used to be a single country its only normal. If you want those points so much just dissolve the Union and I'm sure England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will be happy to enter the circle jerk.

I couldn't give a toss about the queen. I wish the royal family would fuck off in all honesty.

I just prefer using our currency to yours. Simple. I find the Euro coins rather annoying to use compared to the Pound and don't want to bother going through the big change when most people seem perfectly happy with using the pound.

I'm not saying you should change but the reasons you point are absurd, what's so annoying in using euros compared to the pound? Also, a quid= 1 pound, or a quid = 1 euro. Not really that hard.

Or maybe the song sucks?

Every song sucks, that's the idea.

The points reflect favourites and politics.

I agree many of those countries vote for each other, but they used to be a single country its only normal. If you want those points so much just dissolve the Union and I'm sure England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will be happy to enter the circle jerk.

You're missing the point, I don't care about UK winning. I'm just proving that neighbours become close and that's reflected in the scoring system. And this can be related to the lack of warmth UK has to other European countries while having no joined neighbours (as another point of proof, Ireland is close to us and they commonly give us a slab of points in the Eurovision too).

Every song sucks, that's the idea.

The points reflect favourites and politics.

You're missing the point, I don't care about UK winning. I'm just proving that neighbours become close and that's reflected in the scoring system. And this can be related to the lack of warmth UK has to other European countries while having no joined neighbours (as another point of proof, Ireland is close to us and they commonly give us a slab of points in the Eurovision too).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_winners#By_country

Clearly.

Haggis, it's pretty stupid to prefer a coin because it's easier to pay with. You can get used to it easily (I did in 2002...). I find pounds to be pretty confusing actually, but it's not something I can't get used to. There's really no advantage in keeping the pound, and using tradition as a reason is really backwards.

The euro, stable as it is, would benefit even more from the UK's participation. It would also considerably strengthen London's position as one of the world's financial capitals, and let's be honest, we should take all of Wall Street's market as we should.

I really can't stand all the super conservative "Why do we need change" and "The pound is part of our history" BS, not only in the UK, but also similar sounds in Denmark. All the other participating countries have given up considerable history and have only benefit from it. The world entirely profited from it as well, as now there's a currency that can actually compete with the US Dollar.

In the past we did win. The contest has changed a lot and that was one of Wogan's biggest beefs. The people winning these days are mostly Eastern European and usually all voting for their neighbours. Anyone who watches Eurovision in Britain (trashy but fun) knows this. :heh:

In the past it was still Europe. Just because the countries in the other side of the continent don't love you as much as they love each other doesn't mean you're different.

In the past it was still Europe. Just because the countries in the other side of the continent don't love you as much as they love each other doesn't mean you're different.

Wogan even predicts who will get the 12's before they're even announced. Eurovision has become a political motivated points-fest, and mostly determined now by Easter European block-voting.

The only reason I say we are somewhat different (we're really not) is that we have fewer countries we are really close to in Europe so our scores more or less go to anyone (after Ireland). My whole point about Europe is that by being separated we have less close contacts with other European countries.

I don't really know that much on the subject, but I think switching would make very little difference. To me it's just apples and oranges. We're talking about it because the pound is doing crap at the moment. Remember that a year ago the pound was trading for $2, and I reckon that it will definately recover. I've used the euro a lot, and I've gotten used to it as a currency, so I've got no beefs with it. It's just switching would be expensive and pointless. Also remember the rate is currently £1:€:1.10, it's only trading for less than a pound because that's how they make money.

Really would have preferred it if the pound had waited 6 months before going down the shitter in all honesty. Had to get some money out the other day only to joyously find the pound had gone from £1 = 2.8 NZ$ to 2.5NZ$ in the space of about 4 days.

Can't really think of a single sensible reason not to join the Euro. The UK imports a lot more goods than it exports and pretty much always has done. So people saying the cheap pound will be good for the economy are just plain wrong and if anything its going to make things worse. Fuck it I'm spending a year in Australia (not that their economy is doing any better, it's worse in fact)

If people are going to be so pointlessly pig-headed in their reasons for rejecting the Euro we pretty much deserve what we get. We should have switched to it at the same time as everyone else and we're paying for the Daily Express Little-Englander attitude that was adopted at the time now.

Quite a few businesses around here accept the euro and advertise the fact with window stickers saying "Euro Friendly (name of town)" If that becomes more widespead we might end up using euros whether we make it the official currency or not. Wasn't there a story about models and actors in the Uka dn US requesting to be paid in euros instead of pounds or dollars?

If people are going to be so pointlessly pig-headed in their reasons for rejecting the Euro

Sorry, but I think its quite clear that it's the other way round here. There is no sense in joining the Euro and people who want to join the Euro bandwagon have nothing to support their arguements. I used to be pro Euro, but I'm not anymore because joining the Euro will simply breed inefficiency with the running of our economy. When things start to go wrong, you're going to want as much power as possible to try and manage things and I can't see how losing the right to manage our own currency is going to help us. Inflation is on its way down and I'm sure that they are just trying to free up credit.

If you want a strong pound, you simiply raise interest rates. The Bank of England has lowered interest rates because they think that's best for our current situation. I think they know what they are doing (ok, they are probably crapping themselves). If the UK can't control its own interest rate, it will have very little power over its own economy. Britain has been doing better than the EU over recent years anyway. We're only suffering a recession now because of the GLOBAL economic downturn that has hit us.

Just because foreign products are more expensive AT THE MOMENT, I'm not going to cry like a baby.

Sorry, but I think its quite clear that it's the other way round here. There is no sense in joining the Euro and people who want to join the Euro bandwagon have nothing to support their arguements. I used to be pro Euro, but I'm not anymore because joining the Euro will simply breed inefficiency with the running of our economy. When things start to go wrong, you're going to want as much power as possible to try and manage things and I can't see how losing the right to manage our own currency is going to help us.

If you want a strong pound, you simiply raise interest rates. The Bank of England has lowered interest rates because they think that's best for our current situation. I think they know what they are doing. If the UK can't control its own interest rate, it will have very little power over its own economy. Britain has been doing better than the EU over recent years anyway. We're only suffering a recession now because of the GLOBAL economic downturn that has hit us.

Just because foreign products are more expensive AT THE MOMENT, I'm not going to cry like a baby.

Lowering the interest rate was done to increase spending which therefore will strengthen the pound if all goes to plan. If it was that simple interest rates will just be raised...

I'm pro euro - it'd undoubtedbly be far more secure and if anything wouldn't it increase foreign investment into the UK?

As for Haggis' arguments, please stop. When I read or hear stuff like that it makes me angry that my country can be so stupid about something as trivial as the look or denomination of a coin.

The guy is allowed an opinion, and its not very fair that everyone is taking rips out of him for doing so.

Its not like he's harming anyone by having that opinion. Nothing wrong with a bit of pride and identity.

We do supposedly live in a society of free thought, well maybe not :wtf:

Sorry, but I think its quite clear that it's the other way round here. There is no sense in joining the Euro and people who want to join the Euro bandwagon have nothing to support their arguements. I used to be pro Euro, but I'm not anymore because joining the Euro will simply breed inefficiency with the running of our economy. When things start to go wrong, you're going to want as much power as possible to try and manage things and I can't see how losing the right to manage our own currency is going to help us. Inflation is on its way down and I'm sure that they are just trying to free up credit.

If you want a strong pound, you simiply raise interest rates. The Bank of England has lowered interest rates because they think that's best for our current situation. I think they know what they are doing (ok, they are probably crapping themselves). If the UK can't control its own interest rate, it will have very little power over its own economy. Britain has been doing better than the EU over recent years anyway. We're only suffering a recession now because of the GLOBAL economic downturn that has hit us.

This is my problem with the idea that the UK will need a referendum to join the Euro - a lot of people have their ideas about the Eurozone and the EEC from...well, no where. Maybe you have a point, although I'm having trouble seeing:

How it's more efficient to convert currency whilst trading than having a single monetary system.

How having complete control over a fubar currency is preferable to a stable and secure currency (look at the Zimbabwean dollar).

How Britain is doing better than the rest of the EU in recent years.

In fact, I'm having trouble seeing any logic in any of your arguments, even when what I suspend rational thought and take what you say as true.

Its not like he's harming anyone by having that opinion. Nothing wrong with a bit of pride and identity.

When it comes to a referendum (which it will) and we get stuck with a soon to be worthless currency because people find Euro's aesthetically displeasing, then you'll see why it's a harmful opinion.

Oh, and what's he taking pride in? The coincidence he was being born in this area of the planet? Yeah, lots of credit is owed due to that.

This is my problem with the idea that the UK will need a referendum to join the Euro - a lot of people have their ideas about the Eurozone and the EEC from...well, no where. Maybe you have a point, although I'm having trouble seeing:

How it's more efficient to convert currency whilst trading than having a single monetary system.

How having complete control over a fubar currency is preferable to a stable and secure currency (look at the Zimbabwean dollar).

How Britain is doing better than the rest of the EU in recent years.

In fact, I'm having trouble seeing any logic in any of your arguments, even when what I suspend rational thought and take what you say as true.

When it comes to a referendum (which it will) and we get stuck with a soon to be worthless currency because people find Euro's aesthetically displeasing, then you'll see why it's a harmful opinion.

Oh, and what's he taking pride in? The coincidence he was being born in this area of the planet? Yeah, lots of credit is owed due to that.

To be fair his opinion wont stop the euro from taking over if it is going to :indeed:

My point was that its really unnecessary for having a dig at the guy for having an opinion, we all have them, right or wrong... Its actions that cause the problems, not thoughts.

To be fair his opinion wont stop the euro from taking over if it is going to :indeed:

My point was that its really unnecessary for having a dig at the guy for having an opinion, we all have them, right or wrong... Its actions that cause the problems, not thoughts.

Because so many people think like he does, it'll go to a referendum, and everyone who thinks like him will, when at the ballot, think "OMG it's an ugly coin, screw everyone else in the country, I'm going to be a picky bastard who only cares about superficialities!". Thoughts control actions, and the action is sabotaging our economy for a reason that a 5 year old child could identify as being stupid.

Because so many people think like he does, it'll go to a referendum, and everyone who thinks like him will, when at the ballot, think "OMG it's an ugly coin, screw everyone else in the country, I'm going to be a picky bastard who only cares about superficialities!". Thoughts control actions, and the action is sabotaging our economy for a reason that a 5 year old child could identify as being stupid.

I DON'T THINK THE COIN IS UGLY. For fuck sake, will you stop putting words in my mouth Fish?

I just prefer using the Pound to the Euro. Yes, I suppose if we changed I would get used to it and in the end be fine with it. But the thing is, at this moment in time, I don't want to change. I like using the currency I'm using. What the hell is wrong with that opinion? Please stop. (Also, Thankyou Raining).