NEurope
killer kirby

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes (Wii/Wii U Online RPG)

It was easy to miss the comment amidst the clangor of yesterday's announcement of Dragon Quest X for Wii -- a comment that would seem to suggest Nintendo and Square Enix are making plans for the promotion of the DQ brand in the West. Speaking to media after the press conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said:

"With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

Assuming Iwata's quote represents concrete evidence of cross-promotion and not simply PR fluff, will the Nintendo stamp on Dragon Quest make it the next Pokémon or Brain Training? Will a $20 million marketing machine for an extremely Japanese RPG ensure U.S. success? We'll have to wait and see.

1up

Love the comic and good to see that Nintendo are hoping to popularise DQ in the West with their massive marketing and advertising machine.

Anyone else worried that Nintendo are trying to make the Dragon Quest Franchise all marketable and friendly for the West?

Doesn't that mean like, having those annoying adverts where girls act badly, and watering the gameplay down so any Joe-Gamer can play it. Sort of ruining the whole point of Dragon Quest, being, yunno, a hardcore RPG.

Would be cool to see RPG's popular in the West again though, like the FFVII days. Just not at the expense of my enjoyment, please...

Anyone else worried that Nintendo are trying to make the Dragon Quest Franchise all marketable and friendly for the West?

Doesn't that mean like, having those annoying adverts where girls act badly, and watering the gameplay down so any Joe-Gamer can play it. Sort of ruining the whole point of Dragon Quest, being, yunno, a hardcore RPG.

Would be cool to see RPG's popular in the West again though, like the FFVII days. Just not at the expense of my enjoyment, please...

I guess you dont know about Dragon Quest series in Japan and Sqaure-Enix.

But Nintendo aren't making it. Whoever is (and I hope it's Level 5) will make it as "hardcore" as any other DQ title, hence it being in the main series.

I'm confused how you think that the method a game is marketed affects its quality, and this coming from someone who understands how a game's sales have no bearing on quality.

And besides, considering that Nintendo's techniques have proven to make a dozen games multi-million sellers, it sounds like you don't actually want this to sell well, thus squandering any chance of RPGs becoming popular in the west.

But Nintendo aren't making it. Whoever is (and I hope it's Level 5) will make it as "hardcore" as any other DQ title, hence it being in the main series.

I'm confused how you think that the method a game is marketed affects its quality, and this coming from someone who understands how a game's sales have no bearing on quality.

And besides, considering that Nintendo's techniques have proven to make a dozen games multi-million sellers, it sounds like you don't actually want this to sell well, thus squandering any chance of RPGs becoming popular in the west.

I think I'm just losing faith in Square Enix in general. All this generation they've been desperately trying to make their JRPG's successful in the West, while keeping their popularity in Japan, and in doing so keep producing this mish-mesh of JRPG but not JRPG, ultimately not satisfying any market and coming up with let-downs like FFXII (Last Gen but yeah), Infinite Discovery, The Last Remnant (NOt played it though, but from what I've read that's the general trend...).

I think Dragon Quest will be going more casual though - it makes sense for any franchise big in JApan to do so as that's the way the Japanese market is heading. I've no doubt both DQ IX and X will be amazing games though, just not in the way I grew up to love SE for, and ultimately not being as good as I anticipate. FFXIII (And Versus) seems safe at the moment though.

I have no problem with RPG's being popular in the west, but at what cost? It seems to me like to do what Nintendo want to do, and make a franchise like DQ all marketable and accessible in the west, it involves taking out th strategy and depth that made the series worth while in the first place.

Offtopic: No seem to care about FFXIII on this board now. I posted first two closed door FFXII trailers yesterday from The Replay: Final Fantasy XII book and scans from CLOUD Message book.

ultimately not satisfying any market and coming up with let-downs like FFXII (Last Gen but yeah)

FFXII kicked ass, easily better then Final Fantasy X...but then again anything was better then Final Fantasy X

Infinite Discovery, The Last Remnant (NOt played it though, but from what I've read that's the general trend...).

All moneyhatted by M$, hence Square wanting the best sales (Which the 360 userbase is crap in japan, so they have to try and make it americanised)

I think Dragon Quest will be going more casual though

Ah crap...here we go again :indeed:

Dragon Quest can be played by ANYONE!!! right when the series started, the game was made to make an RPG simple that anyone could play it, and it worked and has been doing that since....forever(Shit, my mother is playing Dragon Quest IV on the DS and she rarely plays RPG's at all.)

it makes sense for any franchise big in JApan to do so as that's the way the Japanese market is heading. I've no doubt both DQ IX and X will be amazing games though, just not in the way I grew up to love SE for

Which one are you talking about? Sqaure? or Enix? Since they only joined last gen, so did you only start playing most of their games last gen?

FFXIII (And Versus) seems safe at the moment though.

If you like belts and zippers, with everything flashy, while there are more cutscenes then there are with gameplay, and fight scenes which will be button mashing...then you are going to love it

I have no problem with RPG's being popular in the west, but at what cost? It seems to me like to do what Nintendo want to do, and make a franchise like DQ all marketable and accessible in the west, it involves taking out th strategy and depth that made the series worth while in the first place.

you need to stop bloody worrying. The one group which Square-Enix will never displease....are the japanese, with Dragon Quest. America and all the other countries come second to them.

If you like belts and zippers, with everything flashy, while there are more cutscenes then there are with gameplay, and fight scenes which will be button mashing...then you are going to love it

Sounds good! I love the cutscenes in the FF games they really draw me in which is probably why I have cried at a few of their game endings :)

All moneyhatted by M$, hence Square wanting the best sales (Which the 360 userbase is crap in japan, so they have to try and make it americanised).

Sqaure-Enix really want to buy american game company to get into the western market like Capcom does.

FFXII kicked ass, easily better then Final Fantasy X...but then again anything was better then Final Fantasy X

Neither were up to the standards FF set out for in the PS1 and SNES days, but FFXII's story was just... terrible. The battle system was poo, it probably wasn't a bad game but it was a bad FF game.

All moneyhatted by M$, hence Square wanting the best sales (Which the 360 userbase is crap in japan, so they have to try and make it americanised)

Square want in on the American market, and figure the 360 is the best route too it. It means alienating their fans though, and like, making bad games, sigh.

Ah crap...here we go again :indeed:

Dragon Quest can be played by ANYONE!!! right when the series started, the game was made to make an RPG simple that anyone could play it, and it worked and has been doing that since....forever(Shit, my mother is playing Dragon Quest IV on the DS and she rarely plays RPG's at all.)

I've not played the new DS titles so can't really say, as far as the versions of the seires I've played though it's normally been targetted towards the real RPG niche then the mainstream gaming world.

Which one are you talking about? Sqaure? or Enix? Since they only joined last gen, so did you only start playing most of their games last gen?

I'm talking about both, obviously.

Where you base all this off (Other then the belts and zipper) I have no idea, but yeah, anything close to providing more story and character then developement then FFXII is enough to get my anticipation rising.

you need to stop bloody worrying. The one group which Square-Enix will never displease....are the japanese, with Dragon Quest. America and all the other countries come second to them.

We'll see, Square Enix, like all Japanese developers, can see their market changing and not as much money being in it for them. Fair enough they can keep rehashing all their old hits on the DS and make big bucks off of DQ and FF, but Japanese gaming is no longer the huge money making business plan they grew up on in the 90's.

Nintendo are taking it all to themselves...

Sqaure-Enix really want to buy american game company to get into the western market like Capcom does.[/QeUOTE]

They're in the running for EIDOS I think, not sure if that'll benefit them though. Doubt it'll go through anyway.

I have heard about SE wanting Eidos, I for one hope it doesn't go through. I'd rather see them finish Legacy of Kain without SE influence. Also, the nest Supreme Commander game will be published by SE.

Neither were up to the standards FF set out for in the PS1 and SNES days, but FFXII's story was just... terrible. The battle system was poo, it probably wasn't a bad game but it was a bad FF game.

Yup, I went through similar points like these a while back and I think popular opinion dictates that XII isn't a firm favourite of FF fans. Some people liked it a lot, but I reckon those that didn't like it did so because its story is so different in style, and the fans of FF games are fans of the previous styles of story (less political-oriented).

A lot of people seeing the FFXII battle system as great didn't like the previous waiting around system. It's safe to say they aren't the majority of FF fans, as fans of FF wouldn't be playing game after game with waiting battles if they didn't like it!

I like FFXII alot to be truthful, but it doesn't compare with the older games.

New Dragon Quest X news soon…Or perhaps not

It’s been a very, very long time since we’ve heard anything official about Dragon Quest X. Really, the last news about the game was its official announcement for Wii. But it’s possible that Square Enix will pull the curtain back a bit in the next day or so.

Dragon Quest IX producer Ryutaro Ichimura is going to appear on the next episode of Tama Newton. Square Enix’s blog for the game talks about the event a little and says that the hosts of Tama Newton will be visiting their offices.

However, on the television’s teaser page, there is a promise of “extremely rare treasure information.” This makes the situation less clear, as it may be referring to a treasure map in Dragon Quest IX. Is it possible that the show simply made an error and meant to write Dragon Quest IX? Or, will we finally receive some new information about Dragon Quest X?

I am gonna expect it's going to be Dragon Quest IX news, since I think the game is still being played with extra missions and side quests available each week online.

So yeah sadly I don't see any Dragon Quest X news until next year >_> But lets hope I am wrong and it is this year.

EDIT: Yep seems like I am right, got nothing to do with DQX :(

Instead it's Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory which I believe is a port of an arcade in Japan.

http://www.dq-victory.com/

main01.jpg

I think has something to do with DSi connectivity where you scan the card on the DS that goes to the Wii to summon the cards, or some shit like that.

Make whatever out of it

Too me this is exactly like what I would expect, Dragon Quest series warming up for the big Dragon Quest X release, now all I need to know is when a Dragon Quest VII remake is making it too the Wii xD....(I hope >_< )

Oh and there is no point making a thread about a this game that the chances of coming to English is like 100 to 1 hence why no new thread :heh:

Edited by killer kirby

Well the Dragon Quest X news was a joke boxart:

865995963a0f16fbc770459.png

HOLY SHIT!!!!:laughing:

Congrats Enix, you have just become the biggest troll for this year for the internet and Japan :laughing:

Even though I am dyyyyying for first info on DQX I found that pic quite funny :laughing:

Bump for a rumour.

The following image - supposedly a partial glimpse of the DQX logo - is being circulated on certain Japanese blogs, with a number of European sites picking up on it.

66jAq.jpg

The accompanying text indicates that it'll be revealed in an upcoming issue of one of the gaming mags, with Eurogamer's Portugese site even reporting as fact that it'll be in the next issue of V-Jump. However, I'm not sure what the original source for all this is, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Hmmmm. Not alot to go on so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I'm still thinking that the game could head to the 3DS rather than the Wii. It just seems to make more business sense to put it on a handheld where it would do stupidly high numbers in Japan. Yeah, I know it will still sell well on a console but given the numbers IX did on the DS it just seems like a no brainer.

Still, I wouldn't care which console/handheld it arrives on, just aslong as we get it.

Bump for a rumour.

Hmmmm. Not alot to go on so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I'm still thinking that the game could head to the 3DS rather than the Wii. It just seems to make more business sense to put it on a handheld where it would do stupidly high numbers in Japan. Yeah, I know it will still sell well on a console but given the numbers IX did on the DS it just seems like a no brainer.

Still, I wouldn't care which console/handheld it arrives on, just aslong as we get it.

A rumour is better than the silence we've had until now. :hehe:

I agree that the 3DS would likely be the better console for DQ X (with the newfangled tag mode, etc) but if they keep it on the Wii I'm not gonna complain. As long as its on a console I own then its all good.

Dragon Quest IX has redefined my idea of how much time I'd spend on a Dragon Quest. If Dragon Quest X is on the Wii, I wouldn't want it to be as long as IX (post-game, that is - the main game was not a problem).

The best thing would be if there was a console series and a handheld series (like Zelda). The console games would be like VIII, and the handheld games would be these long, connected experiences like IX.