NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
stuwii

Nearly games

For me it has got to be F-Zero on the Cube. I loved the music and gameplay but it was just too hard for me to get the most out of single player mode, luckly multiplayer mode was there to save the day.

Zelda TP is another one. I enjoyed it to bits but to this day I still dont know what was missing from it for it to be a classsic for me.

Hands down Twilight Princess for me currently too. It just seemed to lack the magic the Zelda's before it had. Only one I haven't finished apart from Minish Cap (Due to the Final boss being impossible for me to hurt)

With TP it felt like there was a lack of interaction with the people in the Zelda world, Link didn't 'feel' like he was a proper part of the world since no-one was really aware of him and what was going on with Zant and Ganondorf since they were in the Twilight Realm and didn't really they didn't really know that they were in danger compared to OOT and WW, when there was a more suspense in atmosphere like they might be killed.

Link and Zelda didn't know each other, they might only a couple of times and felt more distant with each other. And then there was a lack of the Tri-Force which played a much lower role in the game compared to OOT and WW.

That's what felt missing to me.

Never played PoR though, doesn't it have a hard mode? Want to finish the others first and I have the game lying arround, my mom gave it to me and bought it full price, sometimes I wonder if that was a good idea considering I'll only play it later in the future -.-

Here's the thingamajig that happened with PoR:

Easy mode (Japanese version) = Normal mode (Western version) --> 'Tis easy

Normal mode (Japanese version) = Hard mode (Western version) --> Meh, not hard enough

Hard mode (Japanese version) = Does not exist in the Western version :nono:

It caused a lot of problems with RD, considering RD uses the japanese modes, and confused everybody. *still needs to play RD, though*

*thinks of something to add*

Nope nothing, this is silly, what're we gonna do state flaws of every single game? pff

Kind of a negative thread, when you put it that way

I dunno, to me its not a thread about out and out flaws in games. Obviously it could be a technical flaw that differentiates a game from being a classic to just being another game for some people, but for me, like with SSX: On Tour, its just that the game had no soul, imo. All the right elements were in it- it expanded on SSX 3 in ways that sounded to be great, but the actual game itself was just... empty.

Its something I get from Metroid games too. On paper, the games have everything you could ask for, but in practise, imo, they aren't even "nearly games," they are just cack, boring, unexciting. Good graphics and responsive controls, yes... but even with that, its not enough. :heh:

Its something I get from Metroid games too. On paper, the games have everything you could ask for, but in practise, imo, they aren't even "nearly games," they are just cack, boring, unexciting. Good graphics and responsive controls, yes... but even with that, its not enough. :heh:

*hands flame shield to darksnowman*

It was nice knowing you :)

Emasher, Hunters single player was just a late addition the game is all about mp.

I know that, but it probably would have made more sense to just leave it out as its now still part of the game. I imagine it would have been quite amazing if it had come out one the N64 before the original prime was released.

No it doesn't, Normal mode is challenging enough and Hyper mode is hard. Not Ninja Gaiden hard. Regardless of skill it's easy to know what's too hard or too easy.

Also, TP had challenging dungeons that placated the ridiculously easy enemies and I bet if Galaxy had less lives people wouldn't say it's so easy. It's something that has become increasingly apparent to me lately, not that I'm saying the game is hard (some stars are), but people think or don't notice that if they just had a game over screen more often, with the exact same difficulty they'd say the game is hard/harder, when the only result being forcing them to repeat loads of stuff again, the actual difficulty of the game would remain the same and the incredibly fun aura surrounding Galaxy would be gone.

And I'm glad some devs have started to notice this, I've heard that in PoP for example, when you fall, whatshername picks you up. Of course this needs balancing you can't just go "lulz you cant die" in every game, but I think some things need to be rethought in this area.

I pretty much said those based on going back to playing previous iterations. Metroid Prime 2 was the 'right' difficulty to me, and Super Metroid equally too.

Twilight Princess difficult? Seriously? It practically guided you along the whole game, the dungeons were horribly easy. To be honest I think it's just that I've played alot of Zelda games now, got to learn their puzzles and whatnot. Saying that there still wasn't any levels designed with the genius and challenge as the Water Temple in OoT or the Ice dungeon in LTTP.

Galaxy I don't even want to go into, I mean, did anyone really die more then once or twice getting the first 60 stars? :wtf:

Sonic Unleashed almost falls into this category, except half of the game is fun, the Sonic bits :heh: the Werehog bits probably fall into it though because they are almost fun, just too frustrating at times.

NO WAI!!11! METROID IS TEH BEST GAME EVAAAARRR!!11!

[/Joke OTT response]

In all seriousness the Metroid games are excellent, I accept that they aren't for everyone though, one aspect that lets them down somewhat is the story as it never quite gives enough, the way it's told through finding logs etc is good though.

Everything else from the atmosphere, controls and the overall experience are brilliant though, the only other downside is the back tracking which again you either like or loathe.

Interesting viewpoint though darksnowman, even if I don't agree with it. :shakehead

Red Steel for me.

If the controls were as good as Metroid Prime 3, this would have been one of the best games on Wii.

Here's hoping for a better sequel. With Motionplus controls.

MotionPlus has already been confirmed for RS 2 so i'm hoping it's gonna turn out quite nicely with some nice sword fighting.

NO WAI!!11! METROID IS TEH BEST GAME EVAAAARRR!!11!

[/Joke OTT response]

In all seriousness the Metroid games are excellent, I accept that they aren't for everyone though, one aspect that lets them down somewhat is the story as it never quite gives enough, the way it's told through finding logs etc is good though.

Everything else from the atmosphere, controls and the overall experience are brilliant though, the only other downside is the back tracking which again you either like or loathe.

Interesting viewpoint though darksnowman, even if I don't agree with it. :shakehead

Haha, I don't expect you or anyone to really agree. Afaik, I've played all the Metroids apart from Echoes (and I may well have played it but don't remember!) so atleast I've been giving them a go. :heh:

Red Steel for me.

If the controls were as good as Metroid Prime 3, this would have been one of the best games on Wii.

Here's hoping for a better sequel. With Motionplus controls.

RedSteel is a really good response, can't believe I didn't think of it. Alot of people like to slate it, but I'm one of the more forgiving bunch who likes it and I think its really good, if you remember its a launch title. I think its laid some really solid foundations for the sequel.

I really like Red Steel, the controls weren't perfect and it was buggy (although I never got any big or gamebreaking bug), but they were the first and worked reasonably well, not to mention that the setting alone made it very different from any other FPS out there, it really didn't feel like just another one, whereas MoH2 for example, asides from arcade mode is a normal WWII game with great controls. I really liked the katana duels, they required some strategy, pretty nifty,

I went through Red Steel just using the pistol and the uzi. Don't know why, but it doesn't feel right holding a machine gun or shotgun with one hand. Has anybody tried it with the holster thing that came with Links Crossbow Training?

How cool is it when you slow down time, and then pinpoint four baddies - all dead with headshots in the blink of an eye?

I can't wait for RS2

Super Mario Galaxy - The concept is perfect, the execution is almost perfect, the hype was the best hype i ever had.

And it was just... EASY... TOO... DAMN... EASY...

Super Mario Galaxy - The concept is perfect, the execution is almost perfect, the hype was the best hype i ever had.

And it was just... EASY... TOO... DAMN... EASY...

Too true.

Sadly it's the case with most games nowadays :(.

Not really, i'm not a hardcore gamer who considers everything "Easy", i admire a easy game, if its good.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, i completed that game in 3 days, and then i took 4 more days to have every star with Mario. And i did it while bored, its just that when i start something, i never give up.

Seriously, Mario Galaxy is ridiculously easy, there should be a law against having games too easy :(

Not really, i'm not a hardcore gamer who considers everything "Easy", i admire a easy game, if its good.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, i completed that game in 3 days, and then i took 4 more days to have every star with Mario. And i did it while bored, its just that when i start something, i never give up.

Seriously, Mario Galaxy is ridiculously easy, there should be a law against having games too easy :(

Same with Twilight Princess, as I said earlier, I mean I beat the last boss first time... What the hell is up with that?

I just remember the SNES days where games were actually hard, it scares me how good I used to be at some random platformers, as when I play them now I just get my ass handed to me. Still pwn up contra on hard though :).

Well, but TP is a masterpiece, and the difficulty isn't that easy, the boss may be easy (still epic, though), but i remember having a hard time at certain dungeons, and to those who think that dungeons are harder in the other 3D Zeldas, WAKE UP, cause TP is the one in which i took the most time completing dungeons, and i played all the 3D Zeldas.

(Can't talk about the 2D ones, tough)

Well, but TP is a masterpiece, and the difficulty isn't that easy, the boss may be easy (still epic, though), but i remember having a hard time at certain dungeons, and to those who think that dungeons are harder in the other 3D Zeldas, WAKE UP, cause TP is the one in which i took the most time completing dungeons, and i played all the 3D Zeldas.

(Can't talk about the 2D ones, tough)

I don't think Twilight Princess was that easy, just once you've played 3 3d Zelda's solving the puzzles they throw at you is all too predictable and straight forward.

I think the problem for me was it was always too obvious where to go, you were pretty much guided step by step.

You really think?

When i try to think that, Water Dungeon comes to mind, and i forget that theory xD.

But yes, maybe you're right, TP was the first game i played, so i wasn't used to the Zelda-Usual-Puzzles thingy

RedSteel is a really good response, can't believe I didn't think of it. Alot of people like to slate it, but I'm one of the more forgiving bunch who likes it and I think its really good, if you remember its a launch title. I think its laid some really solid foundations for the sequel.

It's one of my favourite Wii games. I loved it at launch and I still do, yes the controls can be poor but it felt original, had awesome levels and style. The graphics were brilliant coupled with the destructable environments. The music and atmosphere was awesome too. A big surprise when I played through it after hearing all the negatvity. I think NGamer magazines score of 90% was justified, if a tad too high maybe 85%

@Maase&Jammy: I thought TP's dungeons were good. Yes,they were straightforward, but other than that, they were challenging enough.

It's one of my favourite Wii games. I loved it at launch and I still do, yes the controls can be poor but it felt original, had awesome levels and style. The graphics were brilliant coupled with the destructable environments. The music and atmosphere was awesome too. A big surprise when I played through it after hearing all the negatvity. I think NGamer magazines score of 90% was justified, if a tad too high maybe 85%

Yeah, I gotta agree with you on pretty much all of that. You forgot to mention stuff like tossing over tables using the motion controls of the nunchuk. Doing little things like that really helped add to the experience and draw you in.

Sign in to follow this