NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Metal Gear Touch

Why are devs supporting this thing? Its just what we need in gaming, a brand were the fans are more fanatic than console fans.

What do you mean by that?

Also the iPhone is a pick up and play console, i don't think this is meant to be a long immersive experience. Just a bit of fun based on MGS.

Wow can't wait. I've got a 32Gb iPod touch and it's a great pick up and play console. Can't believe I'm saying this but i enjoying the games on it far more than I am my DS. Some great games on their too (the new brothers in Arms looks solid).

Should be interesting to see what they do with this, but the most important thing is that they nail the controls.

Im glad it isnt MGS4 on the 360 because I would have died a little inside after buying the PS3 largely due to the game. I'd still have bought it for the other exclusives still though.

I tried some games on the Touch recentlyand was pleasantly surprised at the quality - maybe iPod could become slightly more games-focused.

Wow can't wait. I've got a 32Gb iPod touch and it's a great pick up and play console. Can't believe I'm saying this but i enjoying the games on it far more than I am my DS. Some great games on their too (the new brothers in Arms looks solid).

Should be interesting to see what they do with this, but the most important thing is that they nail the controls.

Can't believe you're saying it either lol

They seem to be interested in making MGS games I can't play. :P

Going to get Metal Gear Solid N-Gage.

Konami have the dmeo up!!

Works on several Nseries phones. GPU ones. Looks great.

Metal Gear Solid Touch has likely caused a lot of heads to be scratched across the game industry today -- a full on MGS game on a fledgling platform that features a couple decent titles and approximately eight squillion one-shot gimmicks? Don't tell that to MGS director Hideo Kojima. Along with MGS Touch creative producer Yasuyo Watanabe, the man sees great opportunity in the tiny device -- in fact, when the game is released next spring, he hopes it opens up an entirely new userbase for his games.

Here are a few choice excerpts from the interview with Kojima and Watanabe published in Famitsu magazine this week:

This is Watanabe's first "real" game. Up to now, she was Kojima Productions' chief web designer, working on a variety of Flash stuff for the site.

Kojima: She almost never give me any lame ideas during presentations; she has a good sense for that sort of thing. Around the time I noticed that, the iPhone was released and started to become a major movement. I'm a huge fan of the iPod and Apple products in general, so if they're putting out a game platform, then naturally I want to compete on it -- and I thought that her design sense would work perfectly on the iPhone.

The game, a shooter set in the world of Metal Gear Solid 4, is controlled entirely with the touch screen. You drag a finger around to aim, tap to fire, and do assorted other finger tricks to open up your sniper scope and such.

Kojima; The content is purely MGS4, but the concept was more to create a "simple MGS." The development team's first impression was that MGS has to be all about stealth, but you can't play a quick game on the train if it's about that. It's a little much to ask of someone trying our games for the first time. That's why we made it a simple touch-screen shooting game.

What's the iPhone/iPod Touch like to develop for as a game platform?

Watanabe: Regular game machines have directional pads and buttons that you assign functions to, but having nothing but a touch screen for control actually offers a lot of new things to try. We started with a game design and then had a lot of headaches trying to find a way to use the platform's unique functionality, but as a development platform, it's seemed pretty easy, the sort of thing that even a single person can make a game on.

Do you think it'll grow to be a successful platform for games?

Kojima: This device has its roots as a music player, added phone functionality, and now it can play games. It's starting to have the features that the PSP, Nintendo DS, and cell phones all have. I think eventually, every kind of mobile device will be able to do all the same kinds of things -- and that includes games, of course. When you think of it that way, compared to cell-phone gamers just looking for a way to waste time, iPhone users are people interested in musical and visual entertainment from the start, so it seems natural to think they'll want to try games.

Watanabe: There are a lot of one-trick pony games out there right now, but looking at user feedback, a lot of people want "real" action and adventure games. That's the sort of challenge I wanted to take up.

Kojima: This game really is nothing more than an entrance for us. I'd like people unfamiliar with MGS to play it, and maybe develop an interest in MGS4 in the process -- and if they foster a general interest in games from there, it'd make me all the happier.

1UP