N-Europe

Louis Theroux

ReZourceman

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when a new Louis Theroux doc was a big deal, then there seemed to come a point when the BBC were over it, and chucked it in a late night time slot, and only halfarsedly promoted it.

I think that's when i sort of dropped out of watching, or paying attention. But i'd like to get back into watching him. I know it's all a persona he does, but i guess that's actually the most effective way to get the goods from these peeps without them going on the defensive.

But yeah, sometimes i cringe at him overdoing the humble routine.

Rewatching the start of part one, I'm reminded how remarkable that really is. How unlucky would you have to be to be born into that?

Is there no way those kids could be plucked from that shithole through the legal system? There must be a reason to prosecute them... It's a shame brainwashing isn't provable and punishable.

Edit: Just watched this (I'm sure some of you did)

The interviewer is shite, and the applause she gets for being so is cringe-inducing.

Watch the crazy-bitch-talk at 6:50, it's incredible. 'I thought this was the do your own thing nation; tolerance, loving...'

Edited by dwarf

I have a boner for that girl at the end who swore at that tard converted film maker tool.

She was a bit tasty.

Not as good as the first documentary, I was hoping for more dirt on the church from those who'd left.

I have a boner for that girl at the end who swore at that tard converted film maker tool.

I think everyone did.

Anyone else see the total double standards of the dancing girls? Totally would though.

And I need that photo of the Muslim boy for my wall. The story behind it and the fact that it's an incredible photo is unreal. Probably "would" the photographer girl too.

Who knew controversy was so sexy? Forbidden fruit FTW.

I think everyone did.

Anyone else see the total double standards of the dancing girls? Totally would though.

And I need that photo of the Muslim boy for my wall. The story behind it and the fact that it's an incredible photo is unreal. Probably "would" the photographer girl too.

Who knew controversy was so sexy? Forbidden fruit FTW.

Sigh of relief when she said she was 18.

But yeah loads of contradictions in the church always has been. Clear that the young girls had feelings for the dutch journalist.

I'd agree that it wasn't as good as the first one but I think this time around, we saw more of those cracks, those contradictions, which are fuelling the exodus of people from the church and in that respect, it was perhaps more interesting to see how they're preaching one thing but there's glimpses of humanity there which suggests they may not fully believe the ideas; something which you only saw briefly in the first one. Very evident when he was talking to the youngest daughter and there were 3 of the other women there, pretty much to keep her in check.

Also, anyone find it ironic that they were using a reworded version of Queen's Fat Bottom Girls as one of their chant songs. Made me laugh anyway.

@meganphelps

@MargieJPhelps

@jaelphelps

Fun further reading.

Edit - I buckled and sent a tweet.

"@meganphelps @MargieJPhelps @jaelphelps Can I join the WBC? I've always fancied myself as a bit of a boxer."

Edited by Ramar

Also, anyone find it ironic that they were using a reworded version of Queen's Fat Bottom Girls as one of their chant songs. Made me laugh anyway.

They also used Lady Gaga's Pokerface and Telephone and re-worded them. I thought the same thing but then I thought it was intentional.

But I liked Lauren. That filmmaker dude was a right knob! Also, that gay woman and man going up to them saying "So you think I am going to Hell because I'm gay?" and they're in front of quite a few signs saying "GOD HATES FAGS" and stuff made me LOL. I think it was blatantly obvious that was exactly what they were thinking!

I thought the first was better though. The contradictions were truly obvious this time though.

Edited by Animal

It was obvious enough after hearing a lot of them speak that they were intelligent enough. How can you possess that intelligence, yet be so deluded??

They just show up the ugliness of the bible. Seems like most of it, if not all, was in fact based on sentiments expressed in the bible. They are just purists. I don't really see how 'normal' Christians can get pious over it. Basically if you're any type of Christian at all, you accept a god that burns people to a crisp if they don't behave a certain way, and that's all fine and dandy by you! And it does say that all God's judgements are just or some crap doesn't it... so they should all be accepting of horrible stuff that goes on in theory. But obviously some people can't bring themselves to fully agree with that muck, and so selectively ignore the nasty parts.

They're all strange people. :nono:

I do enjoy Louis. I found questioning the 11 year old about his beliefs a little cheap though. I don't really expect any 11 year old to have made a thought through decision about his own ethics and is pretty natural to follow parents lead however crazy they are.

Their logic seems to be "if it happened, god meant it to happen"... that everything that happens is awesome cause its the will on god.

The closest louis came to a proper crack in their logic was the friendship between the girl and the dutch student filmmaker. The point that she felt sad for him cause his parents raised him wrong doesn't ring true with their logic cause god meant him to be an "unbeliever".

This does lead me to wonder how they deal with one of their family was crippled in a car crash... would that a demonstration of gods will? Wrath against a person that had been following his word as understood by their church? Assuming an all powerful god (as it seems they do) you couldn't push the blame onto a "devil"... so it would once again be awesome cause God did it.

P.S. - If Obama is the anti-christ... God put him in that seat of power

AWESOME!

I do enjoy Louis. I found questioning the 11 year old about his beliefs a little cheap though. I don't really expect any 11 year old to have made a thought through decision about his own ethics and is pretty natural to follow parents lead however crazy they are.

Their logic seems to be "if it happened, god meant it to happen"... that everything that happens is awesome cause its the will on god.

The closest louis came to a proper crack in their logic was the friendship between the girl and the dutch student filmmaker. The point that she felt sad for him cause his parents raised him wrong doesn't ring true with their logic cause god meant him to be an "unbeliever".

This does lead me to wonder how they deal with one of their family was crippled in a car crash... would that a demonstration of gods will? Wrath against a person that had been following his word as understood by their church? Assuming an all powerful god (as it seems they do) you couldn't push the blame onto a "devil"... so it would once again be awesome cause God did it.

P.S. - If Obama is the anti-christ... God put him in that seat of power

AWESOME!

I see their logic as "if it's something we agree with, God did it. If it's something we don't agree with, it's due to sin/the devil/man/the growing darkness/gays/tin foil/the moon/Ted Nugent/Alf"

The plot thickens. @WBCPhotos follows all the WBC clan members.

To be honest, I just want to see her photos. The fact that someone so spiteful can create such great photos intrigues me. Especially that one of the Muslim kid. I just can't comprehend why she took the time to take such a great, positive photo of someone she claims to hate so much.

Double Post Ho: Found some of her photos. Most of them are the Church's propaganda stuff (which are quite good photographically, albeit with hints of "hipster"), but there are a few good ones.

256951329.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1301870080&Signature=JEB9faQT21ipMYuHdRxV41hadDI%3D

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

I see their logic as "if it's something we agree with, God did it. If it's something we don't agree with, it's due to sin/the devil/man/the growing darkness/gays/tin foil/the moon/Ted Nugent/Alf"

I personally didn't see it as hypercritical as that. If that were the case they would surely blame the boogyman for "luring the deserters away" but they don't... their official line is that they thank god for getting rid of the unbelievers. Their view seems to be perfectly logical providing you believe that god is infallible and all powerful.

I just don't think it's funny now. It's terribly upsetting the ways that they warp the minds of their children and I believe that is totally a form of child abuse.

I love how they use Lady GaGa songs as well. I think that's hilariously ironic. Lady GaGa has enough money to buy a lawyer who can someone charge the that family with copyright infringement just as a way to bankrupt them.

And I also love the way that they actually talk about the Anti-Christ as if it's a real thing. It's certainly not at all mentioned in the Bible. The phrase anti-Christ literally means... anti-Christ as in being against the worship of Jesus. So all non-Christians are anti-christs. It's not single figure. That's like calling my friend that doesn't like sponge cake the Anti-Sponge-Cake.

And that guy who wanted to join their church. I'm assuming he's gay? He might not be but that's what I gathered. And he's so ashamed of it that's somehow he's come to the conclusion that joining this tiny church will take him to heaven. The only people in the entire world going to heavy is this small family.

I love how they use Lady GaGa songs as well. I think that's hilariously ironic. Lady GaGa has enough money to buy a lawyer who can someone charge the that family with copyright infringement just as a way to bankrupt them.

The problem with that is the majority of the senior figures in the family are lawyers themselves. They'd probably find some way of fighting it.