N-Europe

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Cube

It's still an excellent collection, and yes they didn't include Sonic 3 + Knuckles on the collection because they will want to release it on XBLA in a more lucrative fashion, but at least we will get it eventually and it will have the full 200G of achievements (at least) that it deserves plus the multiplayer bit will probably be online, that was good fun back in the day. ^^

Also did anyone notice that next to the Sonic 3 screenshot on the back of the box they made a typo and put 'Sonic 2' next to it? I shit you not, pretty shoddy if you ask me :heh: but no matter... the collection still seriously owns and I hope they make more based on Mega CD / 32X in the future.

I doubt S3&K will get released on XBLA. Around Unleashed would have been a good time to release it but don't think we'll get it now.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally completed robotniks mean bean machine...what a pain in the arse that game is at times so frustating (didnt use passwords)

WAS going to get street fighter 4 as well but was 35 quid in shops...and 26 on play etc so will buy off there soon :)

...first time ive ever played alien storm today :o pretty decent

alex kidd is awesome forgot how good that is :D

So what do ppl prefer to have there display radio in to play these games in? 'Box style with borders either side' or 'full widescreen'? Also what do u think of the 'smoothing' option?

The games in this collection look great on my HD TV with "regular" graphics (I believe there's a bit of upconverting going on). I never use the "smoothing" options, because they totally ruin the games' look (the filter makes quite a few details on the graphics disappear, such as lights on buildings, ...). On a SD TV set they appear to make the graphics a little clearer (but again, detail is lost), but on HD TVs the effect is very distracting, I'm yet to find a single person that prefers to have these filters turned on.

As for the aspect ratio, I have been playing them in Widescreen. But I didn't simply use the "full widescreen option", this option leaves quite a few information offscreen, so I manually stretched every single game to fit my TV, without leaving any traces of the border and without cropping anything (it took me almost 2 hours to do this to all games... :laughing:).

This collection is a steal, especially compared to the price of these games on the Virtual Console. The emulation is good (again, with the filters off), the selection of games is pretty good as well (although by now I own most of the games multiple times, between the original Megadrive cartridges, other compilations, XBLA/VC releases, ...), and the extras are nice, especially the 7 bonus interviews (it's something I love to watch, and for me a must for these kind of releases; I would have loved to see a documentary about the console/developers as well).

Save feature is great, you just press the back button, go down to save, done! and it saves the exact state, simple. :)

And if you're referring to the Streets of Rage achievement Cube, yes it's just play the first level three times, once with each character.

Backbone are lazy for not changing the boxarts and not renaming beyond oasis as The Story of Thor on the box cover.

Yeah very lazy work there. I also noticed on the back cover it says 'sonic 2' on the side of one of the pictures when it is quite clearly a pic from Sonic 3 (Angel Island Zone to be exact) :indeed:

Just got all the achievements on this now! yay. :)

I also noticed on the back cover it says 'sonic 2' on the side of one of the pictures when it is quite clearly a pic from Sonic 3 (Angel Island Zone to be exact) :indeed:

Also did anyone notice that next to the Sonic 3 screenshot on the back of the box they made a typo and put 'Sonic 2' next to it? I shit you not, pretty shoddy if you ask me :heh:

Allready noted. :)

Yeah, it's damn shoddy of Sega not to notice though lol also to a lesser extent with the American Boxart but despite all this I really love the collection.

Yeah its great (the collection not the lazy artwork...). Started up a save file for sonic 3 before. :)

There is so many games in this collection i can relive or in some cases try for the first time! (Never played through Golden Axe 2 & 3 for example!)

Very happy that i bought this.

anyone else gunna be playing the RPGs?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the collection is worth it for Phantasy Star IV let alone the other in the series, so needless to say I will be playing through it again on this. :)

have hoped that the achivements were gunna be ALOT harder to get.

for example getting a achivement for completing sonic not just getting a chaos emerald.

getting 20,000 points on medium or hard on columns...not easy

getting someone promoted on shining force 1 and 2

just of top of head the only good achivement ive worked for is the one for completing mean bean machine (not got round to vectorman 1 and 2 yet)

Awww yeah, just got 1000 G on this beast :awesome: I know that some of the achievements weren't the hardest to get, especailyl if you play the games formulaically but damn it was fun, there were even one or two games on this collection that I hadn't played / played properly before so it was a well worthwhile experience. :)

I saved the unlock Phantasy Star by defeating the first boss in Sonic 2 with both characters till last, borrowed my bro's profile had two controllers (both on each leg) alternately jumped on the boss to score two hits each time and to finish off had Sonic and Tails jump from alternate sides of the big capsule at the end and land simultaneously in the middle. ^^