NEurope
Cube

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

If they released it online I doubt they would package it all in one download, rather that they would charge for each game at a full price :/

Thats true but like chocolate who really eats the whole box? :heh:

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

The collection is planned to be released on the 27th of February on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

More games from Sega fact sheet:

Phantasy Star

Year Released: 1987

Now you can experience the game that launched the popular role-playing series. The first Phantasy Star adventure takes place in the far off future in a sector of space known as the Algol Star System. The system is home to the planets Palma, Motavia, and Dezoris, all of which are under the rule of King Lassic. Much to the dismay of the populace, Lassic has turned corrupt, allowing darkness to spread throughout the system. When Nero, a rebel fighting against the new regime, is killed, his sister, Alis, sets out to avenge his death. In the world of Phantasy Star, futuristic technology combines with old-fashioned magic to create a unique experience. Travel across worlds and brave the 3D dungeons to bring Lassic to justice.

Did You Know?

- A graphically enhanced version of Phantasy Star™ was the first title released in the Japan-only SEGA Ages™ series.

- In Japan, Phantasy Star™ was re-released on both the SEGA Mega Drive™ and SEGA Saturn™.

Phantasy Star II

Year Released: 1989

Far off in space lies the Algo Star System. Orbiting the parent star, Algo, are three planets: Palm, Mota, and Dezo. Palm is a planet for the elite - the thinkers and rulers of the system. Mota is a peaceful farm planet that is like a tropical paradise. Not much is known about the mysterious dark planet, Dezo. Ages ago, a woman named Alis fought to rid Mota of an evil being named Lassic, and now trouble is brewing on the planet, yet again. Vicious animals have appeared and something bad has happened to the planet's controlling entity, Mother Brain. Only Rolf and his friends can discover the true cause of this chaos.

Did You Know?

- The U.S. box art for Phantasy Star™ II depicts lead characters Rolf and Nei not in their usual anime style, but as shockingly older versions of themselves. Nei's long ears have also been transformed into horns.

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Year Released: 1991

You are Rhys, prince of the Orakian kingdom of Landen. On your wedding day, you're set to marry the beautiful Maia, a mysterious woman who washed up on the shores of your father's kingdom. In the middle of the ceremony, however, a winged dragon bursts in and takes Maia away. The goal of Phantasy Star III isn't merely to save Maia. Your adventure spans three generations of characters, allowing you to eventually control Rhys's son and grandson. Along the way, you'll encounter fierce monsters, travel to different planets, and befriend a cyborg that can transform into multiple vehicles. Can you survive the Generations of Doom?

Did You Know?

- There are four different endings to the game, depending on which characters you marry at the end of each generation.

- With its different feel from other Phantasy Star™ titles, some fans consider Generations of Doom to be the black sheep of the Phantasy Star™ family.

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

Year Released: 1994

One thousand years ago, a planet called Parma flourished in the Algo solar system. The citizens there led fulfilling lives devoted to art and science. That is, until a series of disasters struck and the planet's control system, Mother Brain, was destroyed. Almost the entire population was wiped out as Parma's society collapsed. Now, life has come back to the Algo system, and people are once again rediscovering the old ways. The growing contentment may not last for long, however - an ancient evil is preparing to rise again. Once again, it's up to you to save the world in this final SEGA Mega Drive™ Phantasy Star adventure.

Did You Know?

- When Phantasy Star™ IV was first released, the retail price was almost £67!

- Phantasy Star™ IV was the last turn-based Phantasy Star™ title released before the series went online in the aptly-titled Phantasy Star™ Online.

- During Phantasy Star™ IV's earliest design phases, it was planned as a MEGA CD™ game.

Nine of unlockable games are:

Golden Axe Warrior (SEGA Master System)

Phantasy Star (SEGA Master System)

Alien Syndrome (Arcade)

Altered Beast (Arcade)

Congo Bongo (Arcade)

Fantasy Zone (Arcade)

Shinobi (Arcade)

Space Harrier (Arcade)

Zaxxon (Arcade)

Update list of games

1. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle 1
  2. Alien Storm
  3. Alien Syndrome (arcade) 4
  4. Altered Beast 1 7
  5. Bonanza Bros. 1 5
  6. Beyond Oasis
  7. Columns 1
  8. Comix Zone 1
  9. Congo Bongo arcade 4
  10. Decap Attack 1
  11. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 2
  12. Dynamite Headdy
  13. E-SWAT: City Under Siege
  14. Ecco the Dolphin 1
  15. Ecco: The Tides of Time 1
  16. Fantasy Zone arcade 4
  17. Fatal Labyrinth
  18. Flicky 2 1
  19. Gain Ground 1
  20. Golden Axe 1
  21. Golden Axe II 1
  22. Golden Axe III 1
  23. Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master Systerm) 4
  24. Kid Chameleon 1
  25. Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) 3 4
  26. Phantasy Star II 1 3
  27. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom 1 3
  28. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium 1
  29. Ristar 1 2
  30. Shining in the Darkness
  31. Shining Force
  32. Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
  33. Shinobi (arcade) 4
  34. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master 1
  35. Sonic 3D Blast 2
  36. Sonic & Knuckles 2
  37. Sonic Spinball 2
  38. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 2
  39. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 1 2
  40. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 2
  41. Space Harrier (arcade) 4
  42. Streets of Rage 5
  43. Streets of Rage 2 5
  44. Streets of Rage 3 5
  45. Super Thunder Blade 1
  46. Vectorman 1 6
  47. Vectorman 2 1 6
  48. Zaxxon (arcade) 4

1 These games have previously appeared in the Sega Genesis Collection

2 These games have previously appeared in the Sonic Mega Collection

3 these games were part of the Phantasy Star Collection

4 these games have to be unlocked

5 These games were in the Japanese version of the Sonic Gems Collection & cut out overseas

6 These games were kept in the overseas version of the Sonic Gems Collection

7 the arcade version is present as an unlockable

Getting abit worried that i have not seen 'sonic 2 with knuckles' and the sonic 3 with sonic and knuckles game confirmed yet.

I hope it does have them, would be silly not to include them!

Says the Choze who wanted to the games as PSN download games.

New screenshots.

The whole pack could be sold on PSN as one bundle. I am guessing you havent tried the PSN store before ;)

Getting abit worried that i have not seen 'sonic 2 with knuckles' and the sonic 3 with sonic and knuckles game confirmed yet.

I hope it does have them, would be silly not to include them!

I'm sure it'll be possible, they're not technically games on their own, not enough to be included in the list (people would accuse them of boosting the list length with bogus 'games').

I'm sure it'll be possible, they're not technically games on their own, not enough to be included in the list (people would accuse them of boosting the list length with bogus 'games').

Yeah, u have a point there. Sonic Mega Collection on the cube never shown them on the back of the case but they were there, just had to unlock them. It's the Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles which i love, getting to be 'hyper sonic', 'hyper knuckles' and even super tails! :heh:

Will defo be getting this game either way, i'm a sucker for classic mega drive games! :grin:

Yeah, u have a point there. Sonic Mega Collection on the cube never shown them on the back of the case but they were there, just had to unlock them. It's the Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles which i love, getting to be 'hyper sonic', 'hyper knuckles' and even super tails! :heh:

Will defo be getting this game either way, i'm a sucker for classic mega drive games! :grin:

I've said it before perhaps even in this thread but Sonic 3 with Sonic and Knuckles was without a doubt the defining single player experience of my youth. I still rank it up there in my top 5 games...

Have to agree with you there Flameboy, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is without a doubt one of the greatest games i have EVER played. It's far better than any of the 2d mario games. I just remember playing through lava Reef as Sonic, getting to then end only to have Knuckles attack you and kick you down...and then BAM you make your way to Hidden Palace Zone to kick his ass...Only for him to realise that YOU'RE the good guy and then he helps you get to Sky Sanctuary.

Oh god what a good game.

Haha super tails was stupid :heh: he had little birds round his head that killed robots.

Hyper Sonic etc, that was all cool but if you ask me the best part about S3&K was the later levels of Sonic and Knuckles, Sandopolis, Hidden Palace, Lava Reef (so awesome...) and the music that accompanied them. Finding all the giant rings was great too, better than the lamppost system of Sonic 2 and far better than any of the ways they've been done on handhelds since. I really can't wait to go through these games again :D even Sonic 3D will be great for the nostalgia. Just a shame they're not being remade in HD.

Pre-ordered my copy, GAME have dropped the price from £50 to a far more sensible £25 on the site now :)

I personally cant wait to play E-Swat again. I played that to death when I was a kid and I remember the joy that overcame me when I finally beat it. I wonder how it holds up today....

Im also looking forward to playing Decap Attack. I remember seeing that in a magazine when I was younger and wanting to play it so bad but being a kid I couldnt afford it and I never got it play it :(

Decap Attack, I never played that game but I read Sonic the Comic religiously and it had its own strip in the early years. It was a really twisted comic strip and didn't seem to follow the game particularly (as far as I could tell) and had some great jokes and a lot of grown up appeal. So it would be interesting to play the game for the first time after all these years :heh:

I've said it before perhaps even in this thread but Sonic 3 with Sonic and Knuckles was without a doubt the defining single player experience of my youth. I still rank it up there in my top 5 games...

Agreed!

Have to agree with you there Flameboy, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is without a doubt one of the greatest games i have EVER played. It's far better than any of the 2d mario games. I just remember playing through lava Reef as Sonic, getting to then end only to have Knuckles attack you and kick you down...and then BAM you make your way to Hidden Palace Zone to kick his ass...Only for him to realise that YOU'RE the good guy and then he helps you get to Sky Sanctuary.

Oh god what a good game.

Agreed!

Haha super tails was stupid :heh: he had little birds round his head that killed robots.

Hyper Sonic etc, that was all cool but if you ask me the best part about S3&K was the later levels of Sonic and Knuckles, Sandopolis, Hidden Palace, Lava Reef (so awesome...) and the music that accompanied them. Finding all the giant rings was great too, better than the lamppost system of Sonic 2 and far better than any of the ways they've been done on handhelds since. I really can't wait to go through these games again :D even Sonic 3D will be great for the nostalgia. Just a shame they're not being remade in HD.

Pre-ordered my copy, GAME have dropped the price from £50 to a far more sensible £25 on the site now :)

Yeah i remember being so proud of myself when i became super by the end of the 2 acts on Mushroom Hill zone! Loads of large rings in that! The actually special stages in S3 & S&K are also my favourite type of special stage!

Decap Attack, I never played that game but I read Sonic the Comic religiously and it had its own strip in the early years. It was a really twisted comic strip and didn't seem to follow the game particularly (as far as I could tell) and had some great jokes and a lot of grown up appeal. So it would be interesting to play the game for the first time after all these years :heh:

So did i! Loved reading that when i was younger.

Sonic the Comic was great, I still have all of mine.

YES! Lava Reef is incredible. What I love about Sonic 3&K is how the music for Act 1 and 2 is slightly different, and Act 2 on Lava Reef had the most amazing music...:)

Flying Battery zone aswell, my favourite EVER Sonic level. God dammit it was so epic as a kid, at the end of Mushroom Hill, watching Sonic jump and cling onto the side of the airship haha. Wicked stuff. Hopefully they'll be some nice achievements for that game, i WILL get every one.

The achievements have been posted, and iirc there's only 1 per game, or maybe 2. So they probably won't be anything special :( On the other hand... if S3&K was released as an arcade game, it would have 12 achievements.

The achievements have been posted, and iirc there's only 1 per game, or maybe 2. So they probably won't be anything special :( On the other hand... if S3&K was released as an arcade game, it would have 12 achievements.

Yeah I find it really annoying how they released 1 and 2 on XBLA but not 3 OR 3&K. Argh :(

1UP! Blog: Hands-on with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

I had my doubts when I first heard about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection -- well-founded doubts, built upon history and experience.

For one, there's the pronounced emphasis on Sonic the Hedgehog in the title; as a character, he's fine...but do we really need yet another compilation of his games, given how many Sonic ports and collections we've seen over the past few years? Secondly, Sega tapped Backbone Entertainment as the collection's developer, and while Backbone has done some fine work over the years, the company's Genesis ports for Xbox 360 have been, in a word, terrible.

For someone with a deep love for the craft and artistry of pixel art in classic games, seeing the likes of Shinobi filtered to the point of indistinct blurriness is downright painful. These images couldn't have been more offensive if they'd depicted the staff of Backbone standing around a bonfire made of Genesis games. Happily, though, having had the opportunity to see the collection in action (as well as a chance to talk to producer Ethan Einhorn), I'm feeling far more confident about the Ultimate Collection. Those first impressions appear to have been misleading.

Yes, Sega's pasting Sonic's smirky mug all over the package, but not to worry; of the 49 games included on the disc, only seven are affiliated with the company's main mascot: the original Sonic trilogy, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Those seven are nothing for most hardcore gamers to get excited about, since they've all appeared both in last-gen collections and on Virtual Console. But there's no question that Sonic still sells to the average gamer, which makes the Sonic connection a pure and simple marketing move. But the other six-sevenths of the collection spans a huge gamut of games, featuring Sonic-esque action titles (Flicky, Ristar), brawlers (the Streets of Rage trilogy, Alien Storm), and a healthy collection of RPGs (including Shining Force I and II, Beyond Oasis, and the full Phantasy Star series). Practically every genre is touched on.

Admittedly, that wouldn't make a difference if the collection itself were as shoddily put together as the Genesis releases for Xbox Live Arcade, but here Backbone has redeemed itself. The Ultimate Collection's renditions of games like Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe and Sonic the Hedgehog look, play and sound far better than those iffy, earlier XBLA ports did. While it's difficult to say if they're perfect without spending more time with the games, they're certainly improved -- perhaps even nearing the standards set by M2's exceptional work on Virtual Console.

And, happily, this means that the final cause for concern -- the hideous filtering effects -- are wholly optional. By default, the Ultimate Collection runs faithfully upscaled graphics; filters are strictly optional. Backbone has programmed the games to run at an even multiple of the Genesis's 320x240 resolution for perfect pixel doubling, though stretched and anti-aliased modes are available for those who prefer full-screen graphics over crisp, attractive graphics. Those awful early shots of Shinobi are, mercifully, a sort of worst-case scenario.

With those fears assuaged, it's easier to focus on the real appeal of the Ultimate Collection: namely, the fact that it includes nearly 50 games (mostly great games, at that) for a mere 30 bucks. A full 40 Genesis titles will be available from the start, with the other nine -- releases taken from the arcade and Master System -- unlockable through fairly basic tasks. For instance, to unlock the arcade version of Altered Beast, players simply need to complete the first stage of the Genesis version.

Many of the selections are interestingly obscure, such as the arcade version of Fantasy Zone and Golden Axe Warrior, a fascinating Legend of Zelda clone for Master System. The sheer number of games is almost daunting; Einhorn says they stopped short of 50 entries to keep the collection from being overwhelming, and to avoid making it look like a big heap of shovelware. Even so, Sega fans won't have a hard time coming up with a huge list of missing games, and Einhorn seems positive that future collections could explore other aspects of the company's history -- Sega's incredible arcade legacy, or perhaps some of the more neglected corners of its past, such as the Master System or Sega CD.

We'll be taking a more in-depth look at the Ultimate Collection over the course of the week, so keep checking 1UP's Retronauts blog for detailed commentary on some of the specific titles on offer in the largest compilation ever published for a console.

Einhorn seems positive that future collections could explore other aspects of the company's history -- Sega's incredible arcade legacy, or perhaps some of the more neglected corners of its past, such as the Master System or Sega CD.

[/b]

This...

I'd love it if they would make a Sega CD 32X collection, would be worth for one or two games alone if a compilation like that came to fruition, anyway *back to reality*

I can't wait to play this with the SFIV fightbox pad, it comes out on the same day as the pad an SFIV afaik. :smile:

8777691x.jpg

Not long now. ^^

Is there a blank version of that controller?

I'm also still waiting for mention of Sonic 2/3 & Knuckles and a save feature.

Is there a blank version of that controller?

I'm also still waiting for mention of Sonic 2/3 & Knuckles and a save feature.

Surely will have a save feature? The Megadrive Collection on PSP did,....Although it is SEGA so you never know...

I'm sure they'll have save features, they added them to the arcade games. Although IMO, I'd love it if there weren't save features. I think that would make the games last longer and bring back the old nostalgic feel of them. (Although Sonic 3 and 3&K had saves in anyway).

And I'm totally betting on 3&K being in there. It was in the gamecube version, and it wasn't announced/put on the box first.