NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
LukeLee

Job Dilemma

Okay, here goes...

I'm a psychology graduate. the last year i've been in an IT job but applying for jobs all over the place. Anyway, a month ago i got an invite for a job i couldnt even remember applying for. I've been offered the job, but not that sure if i want to do it.

It'd be working on an acute mental health forensic ward with people who are murderers, rapists, pedophiles etc. Its never been the clinical population I've been interested in working with, and hell yeah its scary i'd be learning restraint and manual handling. But part of me would like to conquer the challenge and if i got 6 months on ward experience it'd open up other doors. Money is low and hours are unsociable - sooo i have no idea, my mind is all over the place on this one.

It sounds like you don't really want the job by what you're saying. Is it better paying compared to your current job at least?

it sound both traumatic and fascinating. Sounds pretty full-on for a first job in psychology, although maybe it'd be like a baptism of fire and set you up really well for later jobs.

so the drawbacks are the money and hours. is the money too low or hours too unsociable? I mean do you have a family and kids to support or are you at an adventuring stage in your life. The job in quesiton sounds like being a prison guard. In fact it sounds awesome. You said it can take you place after 6 months? where?

Bassicly you have to wade through shit to get to the good stuff, i reckon you should try it, if you hate it quit, if you can stick it out and get experience thats awesome.

Challenge is a good thing, ne?

You should go for it, unless you have family responsibility or whatever to think about.

I would imagine future employers would look on experience like that VERY highly, you'll learn an incredible amount!

Okay, here goes...

I'm a psychology graduate. the last year i've been in an IT job but applying for jobs all over the place. Anyway, a month ago i got an invite for a job i couldnt even remember applying for. I've been offered the job, but not that sure if i want to do it.

It'd be working on an acute mental health forensic ward with people who are murderers, rapists, pedophiles etc. Its never been the clinical population I've been interested in working with, and hell yeah its scary i'd be learning restraint and manual handling. But part of me would like to conquer the challenge and if i got 6 months on ward experience it'd open up other doors. Money is low and hours are unsociable - sooo i have no idea, my mind is all over the place on this one.

Like others have said it would look great on your CV, not to mention giving you some valuable life skills/experience.

Personally I don't think I could do it. Only because I'd probably take the "manual handling" to far and end up being a patient there instead of a worker. But if you are comfortable working with those sorts of people then I'd say go for it.

for what its worth, i'd personally jump at the chance. It sounds really interesting. Worst case scenario- you don't like it, so you change jobs.

Hmm, well...looking at that:

- Its an area you said yourself that you're not interested in working in, but it would open up doors for other areas.

- The hours are unsociable.

- The money is poor.

- Learning new skills: Handling and restraining.

Hmm, it depends really. Baring in mind, can you afford to spend 6 months or so doing a job like that, which has unsociable hours and poor pay? If you can, and you do fancy the challenge, then go for it. You might adapt to it, and it might get easier over time.

However, what if in 6 months time, you leave that job, and find you don't really want to head in that sorta direction, even with the doors it has opened for you? Could it be a waste of time, then?

It does sound interesting, but then you've got to decide for yourself whether you think it'll be worthwhile.

I think this sort of experience would be extremely beneficial if you let it. Having such a close look at some of the extremes of human nature, well isn't that what psychology is all about? I'm sure it'd be freaky at first but it won't be like the movies, you know?

Just imagine how fearless you'll be after a few months on the job. You'll be ready for anything.

I think this sort of experience would be extremely beneficial if you let it. Having such a close look at some of the extremes of human nature, well isn't that what psychology is all about? I'm sure it'd be freaky at first but it won't be like the movies, you know?

Just imagine how fearless you'll be after a few months on the job. You'll be ready for anything.

Exactly! If you are looking to get into this kind of career you'll have to come across these kinds of cases.. regardless of how you feel about them.

well I've had an interesting couple of days.

Yesterday I was offered this job, i said I needed a couple of days to think. Well today, I went to an interview for a voluntary assistant psychologist post. Speaking about the post it'll be 80% client based and 20% research / audit. I'd recieve weekly supervision and have some real input. So amazing experience. Well 2 hours after the interview they rang me up and said they'd like to offer me a post. The even better today, I found out that I've recieved an £8k pay rise, so i'll be getting an extra £100 a week. Then once the CRB clears i'll be on more money than i am on now working 4 days and one day voluntary. Also there's a fair chance of a job through the voluntary experience eventually.

so a low down...

in my admin job with the wage rise i'll be on £366 per week roughly

the voluntary will knock it down to £266, which is slightly more than i'm currently on.

The job I talked about in this post would put me on about £191 per week.

So i think my plan is to take the voluntary post for great experience, i'll still be on good money. Until the CRB and everything clears for that i'll try put £200 a week to clear a load of my debt.

that sound like a good plan, glad it's all sorted - you've always seemed like a good guy:)

btw £8k pay rise?! that's pretty epic :)

that sound like a good plan, glad it's all sorted - you've always seemed like a good guy:)

btw £8k pay rise?! that's pretty epic :)

hell yeah, from £8 an hour to £12 - but that partly cos agency had been cheating us the last 3 months and it should have been £9.50 per hour.

BTW, thanks for the compliment :)

Sign in to follow this