N-Europe

Laptop for Nan

Ashley

My grandad wants to get my nan one. She's not exactly computer literate but wishes to be.

Probably going to be used for internet and maybe some word processing (although I doubt that).

Looking at sub-£300.

Thinking either eeePC or the Elonex ONEt (or ONE+, whatever its called). Or a standard but cheap laptop? Which would be best?

Buy what i have: its small, quick, good battery life, light.

Usually I'd say that was a great price for a small screen notebook but I would imagine "nan" might find the text a tad tiny for her taste/failing eyesight. [/stereotype]

EDIT: Ha, took too long over my reply to get my point in first but I'm glad I'm not alone in what I thought!

How good is her eyesight? Because if its crappy small screens probally wont be best but if its good then jordans seggestion is hella tight/

Hmm dunno. She wears glasses but im not sure...still. View>Zoom...

Refurb or 2nd hand MacBook?

For under £300...?

Guest Jordan

2 1/2 hours i can get outta mine. Although i agree, the 6 cell is going to rock cocks... I shall be buying one. Thankfully the Advent has a black base just like the majority of the MSI Wind's out there. So, no problem.

Maybe try one of the 15 inch (i think its 15??) ones you can get in the likes of tescos? My sister has one and its veerry nice. Almost wish i'd got one instead of my 17 inch monster :heh:

Means its not oversized and heavy, and not too small regarding screen size. :)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-0693.aspx Like that. If you shop around you could probably get a better deal

• 3 weeks later...

Dell's new Studio 15 laptop is £399 and it's pretty decent value for what you get. Got a 15" screen too so should be good if your nan's eyesight isn't great.

You can probably find one closer to £300 on the Dell website with a 15" screen but the Studio 15 looks like a pretty good buy. Plus it has a webcam, and you'd be surprised how much some older folk love using Skype! My godfather's mum (who's 89(!)) uses Skype every day to talk to her family all around the world.