NEurope
blender

ZELDA Wii

We have to remember that it wasn't the cel-shading itself that gave WW its wonderful charm, it was the art style. The cel-shading just added to that. To be honest, I don't like cel-shading added to otherwise realistic characters like for example in the Dragon Ball Budokai games. It looks ... ugly, in my opinion. But I loved WW's art style and general take on the Zelda universe. It was like a different genre within the Zelda series, and I would actually love for them to keep both genres, maybe alternating between them. Not combining them, though.

Fully agree with you (except I think the DBZ games look fine).

I really don't get people who want an approach to, say, Symphonia's graphics. The graphics in Tales of Abyss (and the very criticised ToS 2) look better, IMO, and they don't have cel-shading.

Cel-shading should only be used when it fits the art style (like in WW, or if you want to make an anime-based game that looks very much like the original), so it certainly won't look good if they try to apply it in a game like TP.

As to what I want to see in the next Zelda...

1.To be exclusively developed for one platform, instead of wasting time developing stuff for another (glares at TP);

2. The wii capabilities to be used with certain items/puzzles, and maybe even be the main theme throughout the game (like in PH). I don't think we need 1:1 sword controls, though. A creative approach to the battle system is fine, as long as it is practical.

3. Surprises! :D Like the Spinner, Ball&Chain, OoT/WW's plot twists, or that particular puzzle in PH! Little things that make me go "this is awesome! :yay:"

If they included 1:1 sword swirling action to the already perfected Zelda formula I'd be more than happy. (Phantom Hourglass more than proved that "older" items can feel fresh with a new control scheme). I know Nintendo are all about pushing boundaries and making "new ideas" but really, make the damn bosses harder and include some amazing sword fights (imagine OoT dark link but with 1:1 fighting) and I'll be MORE than happy.

Zelda is fine. It just needs to be a lot harder later on in the adventure.

But I can't help but think (partially due to success of Metroid) we will see a first person Zelda title this generation. Being Zelda it will sell, but as well as previous third person iterations? I'm not so sure. Whatever the result, graphical styles don't matter. But I feel that the Cel-shaded style will be a handheld shoe-in from now on - whereas the more "realistic" tone is the one which will be the console styles for all Zelda titles.

But, as ever, trying to guess what Nintendo are up to is nigh on impossible.

if they take the road of Windwaker again i will buy a sniper rifle and shoot miyamoto thats the worst looking zelda ever

That does it, I order you to leave the internet.

That does it, I order you to leave the internet.

Hahahaha, awesome.

Not too fussed about the graphics - to be honest Twilight Princess did not impress me in the graphics department, the only exception was the top part of the castle where you fight a certain infamous creature. The style there was awesome. Providing they do a good job of making it immersive then I have no qualms.

Above all, I just want it to be fun and hopefully a bit fresher. Twilight Princess was indeed awesome, but it did make me think when playing it that it was just more of the same. A new direction might do the series some good you never know. Phantom Hourglass for example, was an excellent entry in the series when it came to innovation and fun!

My worries stem from a Miyamoto interview conducted not along ago, where he said he wants to make the next Zelda "more accessible".

Now that could either mean in a good way, as in more freedom - a la the very first Zelda where it was basically just "here's a sword - you can go anywhere", or he could have meant toning it down to a Phantom Hourglass level of "heaviness". Knowing Nintendo, it could very well be the latter.

I don't want fancy motion controls. Actually, I'd rather have this game just use the classic controller than have 1:1 controls. Though the TP control scheme would be fine. I want it to have a long epic story with lots of plot twists and a massive world to explore full of towns and all sorts of stuff with all kinds of side quests. TP was great but it lacked some of the charm we saw in OoT and WW.

The next Legend of Zelda game should have a theme of homosexuality.

It is should be set 3 weeks after TP and should be based around the preparations for Hyrule Pride. There will be Gorons in thongs, lifting weights.

Princess Zelda should be a man in a dress, but Link still fancies him because he is gay.

Link's only ability is that he can take his shirt off and lick his own nipples.

I think Ganandorf should be the only heterosexual character in it... because he is evil. He should also be married to his own sister. They have a retarded son whom they both think is great, despite the fact that it's always attacking people.

There should be an epic battle that ends up as an orgy.

Every time you complete a dungeon, pictures of naked men should be sent to your message board... pictures that cannot be removed.

I'm sure this is exactly what everybody here secretly wants. I don't though.

I'd love to see a proper sequel to WW. Not some kidnapping cop-out, but a real progression of the story. Do Link and Tetra find a new Hyrule? There's so many fresh, new stories to be explored in this avenue imo. It would be so much better than the generic Ganondorf storyline.

I'd actually like a crueler Zelda game. By crueler I mean more aggressive and threatening enemies. Even the Knights didn't bother me too much in TP. I'd like them to be "shit, not one of those" hard.

I also want a crueler story for Link. Not someone who accepts to walk the path of destiny without thinking twice but someone who is forced to accept it. I want to feel that an actual war against Ganon (or whoever the enemy will be) is going on and that without my help many people are going to die.

It would be cool if they included "open-sidequests" in the overworld. For instance there is a castle full of Ganon's minions. Maybe it holds a little treasure but it's essentially pointless to the games progression. Now you can enter the castle and kill every last one of them and the next time you walk by it will be inhabited by Hylians.

Also I want less items but puzzles that force you to combine the existing ones reasonably.

It would be cool if they included "open-sidequests" in the overworld. For instance there is a castle full of Ganon's minions. Maybe it holds a little treasure but it's essentially pointless to the games progression. Now you can enter the castle and kill every last one of them and the next time you walk by it will be inhabited by Hylians.

Also I want less items but puzzles that force you to combine the existing ones reasonably.

Yeah, more sidequests and ones more like what you mentioned would be great. A natural sense of progression would also be cool. I hate to refer to a problem with TP again, but Hyrule would have felt so much more alive if say Kakariko Village gradually became more populated, or if newer shops opened in Castle Town.

Some things I'd like to see in it:

Travelers on the roads. some would be traders that you could buy stuff from and some would just be normal people. Some would be enemies that you could either spare, steal from them, or kill them.

A massive world with area's we wouldn't expect in a zelda game. Also larger towns would be nice.

Better stealth. Every 3D zelda game has had some form of stealth. OoT had Hyrule castle and the geurudo(sp) fortress. MM had the Deku Temple. WW had the forsaken fortress. TP had limited stealth in returning to your village as a wolf and also the hidden village. PH had the whole temple of the ocean king. None of this was really that great though, most of it is the part of each of the games that I dread. If they changed it so you didn't immediately get caught and could fight anyone who discovered you, I think that would make it much better.

As stated before by others... In TP Kakariko Village looked like a ghost town through out the game... why couldn't they make the whole world of Hyrule "more bustling of life" when you get deeper into the story???

They also desperately need some new characters... I'm getting quite sick of the gorons and the zora's with mainly the same problems in each game... They could add a new twist to the game...where you e.g. can fly through Hyrule with some kind of hoverboard or wings, hell even a bicycle xouldn't hurt...Epona's always seems so hard to turn, pretty slow and...old fashioned... why can't they make a modern zelda with up-to-date weapons instead of all that medieval shit??

Please just make it non-cel shaded. The only cel shaded games I think look okay are Killer 7 and No More Heroes.

The game can be released in like 2010, as long as the game becomes truly epic. In 1998, OOT was called the best game ever, and many kept thinking so for many years to come. I want the next Zelda to do the same. I want a deep story, I want a huge overworld that actually feels alive and magical (OOT somehow had it, while TP didn't). And of course: 1:1 controls.

where you e.g. can fly through Hyrule with some kind of hoverboard or wings, hell even a bicycle xouldn't hurt...Epona's always seems so hard to turn, pretty slow and...old fashioned... why can't they make a modern zelda with up-to-date weapons instead of all that medieval shit??

I was also thinking how cool flying would be, they should really do that. A true free-roaming world would be nice too. OoT had it in the form of Hyrule field that was also sort of a hub, MM had it as the town, Wind Waker as the Ocean and TP not...

I was also thinking about a futuristic Zelda some time ago. You just reminded me of that with your post. A story set in a post apocalyptic future where Ganon has ruled for centuries and Link is actually one of Ganon's soldiers until he meets Zelda and then joins the resistance and in the process has to free for instance the Gorons from slavery.

The next Legend of Zelda game should have a theme of homosexuality.

It is should be set 3 weeks after TP and should be based around the preparations for Hyrule Pride. There will be Gorons in thongs, lifting weights.

Princess Zelda should be a man in a dress, but Link still fancies him because he is gay.

Link's only ability is that he can take his shirt off and lick his own nipples.

I think Ganandorf should be the only heterosexual character in it... because he is evil. He should also be married to his own sister. They have a retarded son whom they both think is great, despite the fact that it's always attacking people.

There should be an epic battle that ends up as an orgy.

Every time you complete a dungeon, pictures of naked men should be sent to your message board... pictures that cannot be removed.

I'm sure this is exactly what everybody here secretly wants. I don't though.

I should never read one of your posts while drinking water again...

Sir, you have to pay me 20 Euros for a new keyboard xD

As stated before by others... In TP Kakariko Village looked like a ghost town through out the game... why couldn't they make the whole world of Hyrule "more bustling of life" when you get deeper into the story???

They also desperately need some new characters... I'm getting quite sick of the gorons and the zora's with mainly the same problems in each game... They could add a new twist to the game...where you e.g. can fly through Hyrule with some kind of hoverboard or wings, hell even a bicycle xouldn't hurt...Epona's always seems so hard to turn, pretty slow and...old fashioned... why can't they make a modern zelda with up-to-date weapons instead of all that medieval shit??

Your Star Fox love shines through. ;)

While the idea that Konfucius posted appeals to me, I'm afraid it might become something completely different than Zelda. Zelda has always had a medieval setting. While alternate ideas appeal to me (some more than others - I remember drooling over obviously fake leaks about the next Zelda game being in the steampunk genre, a genre I've fallen in love with), it just wouldn't be the Zelda we know anymore. Nintendo has on the other said stated that the next Zelda would be somehow different, so maybe it's still a possibility (though I doubt it).

Oh, and having just looked over some other examples of cel-shading on realistic characters, I found that it can work quite well. As it apparently isn't the cel-shading itself I dislike about the Dragon Ball Budokai characters, I guess it's because the art style itself is too cartoony for my liking.

Your Star Fox love shines through. ;)

While the idea that Konfucius posted appeals to me, I'm afraid it might become something completely different than Zelda. Zelda has always had a medieval setting. While alternate ideas appeal to me (some more than others - I remember drooling over obviously fake leaks about the next Zelda game being in the steampunk genre, a genre I've fallen in love with), it just wouldn't be the Zelda we know anymore. Nintendo has on the other said stated that the next Zelda would be somehow different, so maybe it's still a possibility (though I doubt it).

Oh, and having just looked over some other examples of cel-shading on realistic characters, I found that it can work quite well. As it apparently isn't the cel-shading itself I dislike about the Dragon Ball Budokai characters, I guess it's because the art style itself is too cartoony for my liking.

Yea Star Fox is by far my most favourite Nintendo franchise :D:D

And I don't think you would lose the "Zelda-feeling", just think about it: heat-seeker arrows, high-tech boomerang which can leave tiny bombs on enemies, they explode on your command, a master sword which can be on fire, icy, electrified, etc., I mean that does sound appealing, doesn't it??

Yea Star Fox is by far my most favourite Nintendo franchise :D:D

And I don't think you would lose the "Zelda-feeling", just think about it: heat-seeker arrows, high-tech boomerang which can leave tiny bombs on enemies, they explode on your command, a master sword which can be on fire, icy, electrified, etc., I mean that does sound appealing, doesn't it??

Read my post again. Yes, all those things sound appealing (though personally, I'd much rather see a Zelda game in the steampunk genre *drools*), but it'd still not be the Zelda we know anymore. Now matter how great it would be, it'd still destroy the Zelda as we know it. Now, I'm not here to discuss the good/bad sides of change in general, but think about it: We already have a science fiction franchise (you of all would know! :p), but Zelda is the only medieval fantasy franchise we have. I'd still love a game in the steampunk genre, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the medieval fantasy. Maybe a new franchise ...? *hint, hint, Nintendo!*

Yes, very. I wouldn't mind a sci-fi Zelda at all, as I see the series as like Blackadder: the same characters reincarnated in different eras.

Personally, I think the Zelda series needs to improve, but that's just like any other game. I also think it could do with a degree of streamlining, but obviously not too much.

Here’s what I’d like to see:

Overworld

Fluid, seamless overworld. Dungeons should be simpler and shorter (lots of them, but more like mini dungeons), and more resemble the type of building they’re meant to be (the Forsaken Fortress and Ice Mansion were good starts). More of the action takes place in the overworld. Any item can be used in the same way in any location. No fixed 3D or 2D backgrounds, and you’d be able to switch between 1st- and 3rd-person whenever you liked.

Whole overworld should be a playable, 3D area. Bosses could actively track you down, following you into villages or the field. Bosses and mini-bosses should not only be able to be defeated in their original environment (eg. Big Spider in TP). They can appear as minions in later areas of field, for you to possibly fight two or three of the same type at once.

I loved those secret tunnels you had to crawl through in Wind Waker! Or how about long, underground tunnels that link areas of the overworld? Like the waterways between Lake Hylia and Zora’s Domain in TP, but ones you could walk through at your own pace, finding the occasional shop or dwelling along the way.

The return of Great Fairies (ideally in their WW shell grottoes!)

Flight. Using the Deku Leaf was one of the many highlights of Wind Waker! Imagine gliding down from a mountain in the centre of the overworld, landing anywhere without any loading times. Link could even grow wings later on in the game. Failing that, there could be several mounts, like boars, dragons or eagles.

Items

The return of Power Bracelets. One of the highlights of Ocarina of Time (and Wind Waker) was when you could finally throw anything aside!

Link’s standard clothes could be automatically upgraded to an amphibious version, and then later to a light chainmail (which retains the amphibious qualities yet is also fireproof).

The return of the Mirror Shield and shield control (should be possible with MotionPlus). I’d like to see less weapons in general, but it wouldn’t be the same without the hookshot, boomerang, bombs and arrows (upgradeable with fire, ice, light and bombs). I’m not so keen on the context-specific items like the Spinner (as fun as it was).

Items and weapons should be automatically upgraded, like in Wind Waker, and ideally three versions of each item.

Tingle.

Oh yes, and the return of Moblins to their Wind Waker design!

If Zelda goes and turns, "Star Wars" on me, I wouldn't pick it up. It just wouldn't be my cup of tea. Call me judgemental all you want but it is just not something I could play and enjoy. It just wouldn't be "Zelda". Although I'm sure Phantasy Star fans would take a newborn liking to the franchise though. :D

A steam punk zelda could be good, but a futuristic one might ruin the series. But I don't think Nintendo will ever do either.

After seeing the new Zelda on the DS, natural progression says that Nintendo will probably make Zelda Wii;

An on-rails shooter.

*Leaves*

Seriously though, I would love a steampunk Zelda and the train in the DS version is a small hint that it could go that way. I would prefer another cel shaded affair though as TP's graphical style just didnt seem to suit the series anymore. Don't get me wrong the art direction was amazing, especially in the Twilight Realm, but generally I think they've gone as far as they can with a 'realistic' approach.

As I've claimed before, I don't want cel shading, atless it's somewhat in the vein of the new Prince of Persia. And it does seem that Nintendo are going to stay realistic on stationary formats, while having the WW art style in portable games.

I'd really love to see how a realistic Zelda that really throttles the life out of the Wiis processors 'n stuff would look like. The problem is that TP was basically a GC game with buttons mapped to waggle and an improved aiming mechanism.

I think we'll get a Twilight Princess esque style since we're getting more cel-shaded goodness with Spirit Trackers.

Can't really see 2 cel shaded games for the Wii and DS.

After seeing the new Zelda on the DS, natural progression says that Nintendo will probably make Zelda Wii;

An on-rails shooter.

*Leaves*

Link%27s_Crossbow_Training.jpg