NEurope
blender

ZELDA Wii

No big surprise. At E3 2008, Nintendo confirmed (very vaguely) that the Mario and Zelda teams had reassembled, but offered no further details. But when we sat down with Shigeru Miyamoto this week, he elaborated on situation, absolutely confirmed that a new Wii Zelda is underway, and suggested that it will see some fundamental changes.

"The Zelda team in particular always works on Zelda titles. The core members of the Zelda team have for a very long time now been focused on Zelda games, and continue to focus on Zelda games, so they are hard at work and working away," Miyamoto said. "And then, of course, we have the DS Zelda team as well, so even there we're having some switching of people in and out where the DS team is mixing in with the Wii team and working on the Wii version."

At GDC 2007, Eiji Aonuma gave a presentation on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. At that time, he showed a brief snippet of an experimentation the Zelda team conducted -- it was Twilight Princess running in the first-person view. We asked Miyamoto if such a fundamental change could await players of Wii's next Zelda adventure.

"I don't necessarily think it will change that drastically, but I think that Zelda is a franchise that does need some big new unique ideas," he said. "And so the team right now is very focused on trying to find those ideas."

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/890/890200p1.html

ToonLink.jpg

"I don't necessarily think it will change that drastically, but I think that Zelda is a franchise that does need some big new unique ideas," he said. "And so the team right now is very focused on trying to find those ideas."
This is good to hear!

In E3 thread dude, like...a while ago. Hell even up on main page.

New ideas = win.

Confirmed E3 appearance?

Just thought of a great idea for the motionplus... the bow and arrow. Imagine. Hold "Z" on the nunchuck and Link puts an arrow into the bow. then with the Wiimote (with motionplus attached) you have to mime pulling the arrow in the bow, maybe with a small "rumble" to indicate when the bow string is at full tension. And then release the "Z" button to fire the arrow...and if you don't bring it to full tension the arrow won't fly as far

Remember you heard it here first.... if it happens I want royalties from Nintendo :heh:

Just thought of a great idea for the motionplus... the bow and arrow. Imagine. Hold "Z" on the nunchuck and Link puts an arrow into the bow. then with the Wiimote (with motionplus attached) you have to mime pulling the arrow in the bow, maybe with a small "rumble" to indicate when the bow string is at full tension. And then release the "Z" button to fire the arrow...and if you don't bring it to full tension the arrow won't fly as far

Remember you heard it here first.... if it happens I want royalties from Nintendo :heh:

To be honest I'd be happier with a good Zelda game than tacked on motion controls. Too often there are motion controls that feel completely unnecessary. Nintendo should know by now that the Wii remote is rarely useful, and is best used for sports games really.

It's confirmed and they're working on it now, that's the most important thing. Don't really need a trailer or anything.

To be honest I'd be happier with a good Zelda game than tacked on motion controls. Too often there are motion controls that feel completely unnecessary. Nintendo should know by now that the Wii remote is rarely useful, and is best used for sports games really.

But if done right and ads to the immersion of the gameplay then it's not "tacked on"

But if done right and ads to the immersion of the gameplay then it's not "tacked on"

Que Eff Tee. I loved the use of the bow in TP on Wii.

I think they could make true 1:1 swordfighting now for the next Zelda.

Maybe even make it so one can change between first and third person. While in third person mode you have lock-on and Link swings the sword by pressing a button and when switching to first person the sword is controlled by the motion sensor.

Why two control systems? Well I can't imagine myself slashing away on every boring little enemy 8 hours straight.

Actually there are quite a few enemy types who are more of an annoyance than a threat and I don't feel like putting in any effort to kill them. Also my arm won't be tired after an hour that way.

Sounds good on paper, but what if you need to fire 4 or 5 or more arrows in quick succession, like you always have to? How would you aim quickly while moving the wiimote mimicking a bow?

What you describe would be good in an archery game (*cringes at the thought*) but not in a Zelda.

Sounds good on paper, but what if you need to fire 4 or 5 or more arrows in quick succession, like you always have to? How would you aim quickly while moving the wiimote mimicking a bow?

What you describe would be good in an archery game (*cringes at the thought*) but not in a Zelda.

assume once you've done it once, after firing 1 arrow, press the Z button again and he loads a new arrow and auto readies it as normal, so long as you maintain the pose (or maybe holding the B button "locks" the pose for Link?)

could be an optional thing, or for set pieces?

Well, if people want 1:1 sword controls, which would make sword fights dificult if you haven't got real fencing training, we might as well make archery realistic and difficult, too. I don't really know where I stand on this whole thing. Yes, making these things realistic with the Wiimote is indeed awesome, but where does the line go? We have to remember, games are NOT reality, they're about (having fun, primarily, but also) being able to go into another world and be someone else. Link is supposed to be capable with both sword and bow, but if it's made more realistic, he'll gradually get worse as it's more and more up to the player's skills. Then we should have games where you have to build up a reputation yourself by becoming good at these things. But then again you might as well take up real fencing or archery.

Gah, I didn't really know where I was headed with that post. But I guess I made some points somewhere in that indefinable mass of words. :p

Completely don't care for 1:1 sword fighting in Zelda. Give me a game that has the player the player exploring vast, beautiful worlds at their own free will and have me waggling at enemies with an inflatable idiot stick than have "true 1:1" in more, uninspired locations. (Twlight Princess rocked hard, but don't put me through that Hyrule for a 3rd time).

Completely don't care for 1:1 sword fighting in Zelda. Give me a game that has the player the player exploring vast, beautiful worlds at their own free will and have me waggling at enemies with an inflatable idiot stick than have "true 1:1" in more, uninspired locations. (Twlight Princess rocked hard, but don't put me through that Hyrule for a 3rd time).

Exactly. What did the motion controls do for TP? Nothing, really. Except take longer to aim at things manually, when usually the Z-trigger lockon has always been great.

I didn't feel like I was slashing with a sword when I swung a piece of plastic in TP, rather like I was swinging a piece of plastic. Nintendo should focus 99.999% on gameplay, 0.001% on motion controls.

Exactly. What did the motion controls do for TP? Nothing, really. Except take longer to aim at things manually, when usually the Z-trigger lockon has always been great.

I didn't feel like I was slashing with a sword when I swung a piece of plastic in TP, rather like I was swinging a piece of plastic. Nintendo should focus 99.999% on gameplay, 0.001% on motion controls.

The aiming with the Wiimote in Twilight Princess was fantastic! Would you rather go back to a second analogue stick?!

Hmmm...

Wouldn't that sort of... Defeat the point of Wii? Slightly?

When Nintendo first demoed the Wii version at E3 06 (I think the honours were given to Bill Trinnen), that's how they worked then, and the wiimote speaker made the sound of the string tightening.

I think motion plus gives the next game HUGE potential! The position your Wii Remote is in could reflect Link's arm in the same way with disc throwing and sword fighting on Wii Sports Resort!

As long as it's good and doesn't just try to be Ocarina Of Time again like TP did sometimes (though that was still a brilliant game) I'll be happy :)

Nah, I actually liked what TP had going more realistic. I think it just needs to continue going that way....but add in more unique architecture and make it more "organic". That would make it more complete in my eyes. You can make it fantasy based but yet....it can feel and seem very realistic at the same time. But that's me though, TP was the most enjoyable Zelda title I've played since LttP.

nah zelda has to stay realistic the way it looks in twilight princess is the best way it only needs the magick it had in ocarina of time and majora's mask then it will blow everyone away like a nuclear bomb

if they take the road of Windwaker again i will buy a sniper rifle and shoot miyamoto thats the worst looking zelda ever

this Never again!

ZeldaWindWaker7-cf596.jpg

Realistic zelda forever!

zelda_tp_004.jpg

I quite liked the Cel Shading. Where it's Cel Shading or 'realistic', i'll be happy.

if they take the road of Windwaker again i will buy a sniper rifle and shoot miyamoto thats the worst looking zelda ever

zeldaww_0324_screen174.jpg

zeldaww_0324_screen189.jpg

zeldaww_0324_screen200.jpg

Huh? I think the majority on this forum would agree that The Wind Waker was beatutiful and charming.

I certainly preferred the "realistic" style over WW cel-shading. That's not to say that cel-shading is bad or shouldn't be used in future Zeldas.

My beef with WW was the art style itself. We'd seen images in the manuals showing glorious 2D renditions of the various parts of Hyrule that would look stunning if made playable, but the squat bodies, big heads, overall bland textures (most objects simply being coloured) and general lack of variety makes WW hold the least appeal to me graphically (and the gameplay could have been better as well whilst were on the subject).

Like NMH shows, cel-shading doesn't have to be mean cutesy. Something in the style of Tales of Symphonia would be perfect (providing the characters were proportioned properly - that being my only problem with ToS's graphical style).

We have to remember that it wasn't the cel-shading itself that gave WW its wonderful charm, it was the art style. The cel-shading just added to that. To be honest, I don't like cel-shading added to otherwise realistic characters like for example in the Dragon Ball Budokai games. It looks ... ugly, in my opinion. But I loved WW's art style and general take on the Zelda universe. It was like a different genre within the Zelda series, and I would actually love for them to keep both genres, maybe alternating between them. Not combining them, though.