NEurope
Hellfire

Wii MotionPlus- 1:1 add on

Oh... lol, i didn't know Pedrocasilva was a MS user

Buahahahahahaah, we win :P

Wesley: I'm excited about this, but I agree with you, this should have been included in the Wiimote from day 1. Same with wireless nunchuck.

typical nintendo.... screw everyone by releasing inferiour versions with full knowledge of future sucessions.

Balance board.

I guess that could be a possiblity. Having to buy a balance board and WiiMotionPlus2SuperGoodThing to play a game that would involve sword fighting seems far fetched. I'm not even sure if that would do the trick though.

I know what you're getting at, but its not like they are gonna bundle it with a full body motion capture kit, is it? :indeed:

No you're right. But a device that does connect to your belt, or heck, a belt, would ensure the Wii could compute distance between the remote and your body.

As far as I see it not having 1:1 wasn't a selling point. It was motion controlled, which it is. Not picture perfect. And I'd presume, knowing Nintendo, games will have two settings; one that works with the current remote and one that works with 1:1 so you don't have to buy it.

And if it trakcs all space it will track movement of your body. Unless you personally hold your hand dead still and move your body. I think...I dunno. The tech goes over my head a bit.

Seeing as the remote knows what's plugged into it, Its not going to be an option, it will be automatic.

Maybe Nintendo really are focusing on the core gamer! I mean, the 'casuals' are lapping up the wiimote as is, surely this improved version is for the 'proper gamers'

I still don't understand. It's 1:1 - supposedly. It's a design flaw Nintendo have had in their controller, the main selling point of their console, that they've now essentially patched. That requires you to buy another add-on for all your controller - and also messes up the compatibility. So a console designed for the casual audience, ranging from children to the elder, has got a lot less accessible.

I still don't see how it would suddenly make sword games amazing. Like I said, it has no way of tracking movement of the body, so any real fancy sword swinging is kind of null.

But my first point is my main point. I guess I could be proved wrong about the second point, which would be awesome.

It's not a design flaw, real 1:1 with just accelerometers is impossible, you'd need the camera ou some sort of sensor, which is not yet (until now maybe?) a proven design in games and is expensive.

Also, from day 1, one of Wii's main points was add-ons, but this could be a double edged sword though, depending on how they handle it.

MotionPlus is intended for the us than casual audience

I don't see how you can say that with a limited press release and no games announced.

I'm not saying it won't be. But you really can't tell.

Oh... lol, i didn't know Pedrocasilva was a MS user

Buahahahahahaah, we win :P

I don't think he is. Its a form of sarcasm.

I don't know anyone who thinks a motion sensitive controlle for MS is a good idea; its great at what it does, why does it want to be something it's not, and never will be?

Me and Tellyn have pretty much just said the same thing on MSN. It serves Microsoft right if they have just been owned, they should have just stuck to their strengths instead of trying to copy Nintendo.

It's not a design flaw, real 1:1 with just accelerometers is impossible, you'd need the camera ou some sort of sensor, which is not yet (until now maybe?) a proven design in games and is expensive.

Also, from day 1, one of Wii's main points was add-ons, but this could be a double edged sword though, depending on how they handle it.

That's what I meant by supposedly.

It just comes off as a bad physical patch.

I don't see how you can say that with a limited press release and no games announced.

I'm not saying it won't be. But you really can't tell.

I'd like to think that this was unveiled now to spoil Microsoft's conference, but trust me, we will be hearing A LOT MORE about this tomorrow.

Maybe Nintendo really are focusing on the core gamer! I mean, the 'casuals' are lapping up the wiimote as is, surely this improved version is for the 'proper gamers'

Remember we thought when the Wii Remote was revealed that it would be used mainly for sword fighting and hardcore stuff.

I'd like to think that this was unveiled now to spoil Microsoft's conference, but trust me, we will be hearing A LOT MORE about this tomorrow.

True, but why else would they reveal it to us today?

Me and Tellyn have pretty much just said the same thing on MSN. It serves Microsoft right if they have just been owned, they should have just stuck to their strengths instead of trying to copy Nintendo.

I agree. Most MS fanboys say the Wii is bad because it has motion control.

I agree. Most MS fanboys say the Wii is bad because it has motion control.

Just watch then U-turn...

Of course we will, but the timing was not coincidental :)

Just watch then U-turn...

I know. I wish I had recorded them saying that now.

This looks awesome. It would fit right in with the new Zelda that Nintendo will announce.

Next person that says Zelda will be at E3 is getting hit by my mighty whip.

*bends over*

What do you mean according to your body?

If on a sword fighting game I might want to jab my sword in the air. Yet for all the computer knows I could be jabbing the wiimote up my own arse.

And like hellfire said true 1:1 would need (correct me if I'm wrong) six sensors around your room. And then the add on thingy.

This looks awesome. It would fit right in with the new Zelda that Nintendo will announce.

*bends over*

If on a sword fighting game I might want to jab my sword in the air. Yet for all the computer knows I could be jabbing the wiimote up my own arse.

And like hellfire said true 1:1 would need (correct me if I'm wrong) six sensors around your room. And then the add on thingy.

Remember how much we know about this already though.

Wow, 5 pages in less than an hour.

Yeah, that's true, but let's see it, Nintendo is rich right now, they could make it...

The sensor in the TV has two mini-sensors, one in each corner of the room and the add on, and voila... Full 1:1

Believe...

Maybe in the headset!!

I believe...

nwanttobelieve6ej.jpg

nintenwarsrotshiggy2.gif

NINTENDO STAR WARS CONFIRMED WITH 1:1 MOTION TRACKING! With Nintendo stars cameos!

Yeah, that's true, but let's see it, Nintendo is rich right now, they could make it...

The sensor in the TV has two mini-sensors, one in each corner of the room and the add on, and voila... Full 1:1

It doesn't have two mini sensors, it has 2 LED arrays in the corners. I guess all this do is help the Wii calculate the the 3D position of the Wiimote without having to triangulate with the sensor bar. Paired with sensor maybe they have found even more uses to it.

Remember how much we know about this already though.

What?

Yeah that could work. I wonder how expensive it would be. They could probably make it cheap(ish) but I doubt it would be accurate.

I believe...

But people's heads are different sizes. They couldn't just sell one size of helmet and everyone's size would always be sold out when they looked. Glasses or a headset would be better. A headset would be best because of everyone who already wears glasses.

I want to play games......I can't use a sword properly......I want a game to interpret what I do.....I don't want 6 sensors around my room......What is this obsession with 1:1 movement in a completely 3d space?

What?

We don't know everything about this so we shouldn't start ruling stuff out until tomorrow.

But people's heads are different sizes. They couldn't just sell one size of helmet and everyone's size would always be sold out when they looked. Glasses or a headset would be better. A headset would be best because of everyone who already wears glasses.

Or you can snort cocaine.