NEurope
Hellfire

Wii MotionPlus- 1:1 add on

Congratulations Nintendo. Making the best decision and having the best timing. I'm surprised that people see this as Nintendo "fixing the broken Wii". I just see them as making it have the motion sensing capability that we all dreamed of when we first found out about the remote.

Yes they patched it. Why feel bitter?

A very simple thing, but with great possibilities.

From the looks of it, it's essentially the Nunchuck with no buttons, but as it's always a specific distance from the Wii Remote's motion sensor they can do all sorts of crazy calculations with it.

Hopefully it'll be reasonably priced.

We don't know what it does!! How do we know it fixed what didn't need fixing! This has been blown out of proportion.

Congratulations Nintendo. Making the best decision and having the best timing. I'm surprised that people see this as Nintendo "fixing the broken Wii". I just see them as making it have the motion sensing capability that we all dreamed of when we first found out about the remote.

Yes they patched it. Why feel bitter?

i think people, right now, are more focused on the games that a 1:1 device implies. People are more excited by the prospect of new zelda and are not really thinking of patching broken games like wii sport boxing or the crapness of the current system.

People only realise they have been screwed over when they look in retrospect at their gaming collection. Ninentdo are good at making you pay for the same thing multiple times.

THEN THE ANGER COMETH

If during the Nintendo Conference this guy appears on stage I will fracking cream myself in anticipation of what could be announced

That was incredible. I really hope this gets acted upon. Would love to play a game like that, and if they done a headset for Animal Crossing or something, they can add LEDs and use this guys method.

Genious :D

Re: Tech

I think if the device adds another accelleromerters, it can correct for noise more easily so might not be a total revolution. HOwever, I'm hoping it contains a new technology altoghter like sonic stuff. But accellerometers would keep it cheap

People only realise they have been screwed over when they look in retrospect at their gaming collection. Ninentdo are good at making you pay for the same thing multiple times.

THEN THE ANGER COMETH

If you're in a rather negative frame of mind perhaps :/

But its no difference to the whole technology business. "Oh we've found how to do this better/cheaper/quicker. Buy it again."

Dirty practice but everyone does it; Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Asus, Toshiba, Phillips etc etc.

Re: Tech

I think if the device adds another accelleromerters, it can correct for noise more easily so might not be a total revolution. HOwever, I'm hoping it contains a new technology altoghter like sonic stuff. But accellerometers would keep it cheap

Surprisingly to me, I agree with you. Its nothing more than another accelerometer, so when you do a right slash it balances out between both accelerometers and makes sure it IS a right slash.

But just because its simple doesn't make it a bad thing. Even if its just another accelerometer, It could potentially add alot of depth to the motion controls.

That was incredible. I really hope this gets acted upon. Would love to play a game like that, and if they done a headset for Animal Crossing or something, they can add LEDs and use this guys method.

Genious :D

Blocks (or Boom Blox if you want to use it's awful name) does it.

Really? That I never knew that. Now I kind of want it and try it out for the sake of this.

I heard Boom Blox completely removed the head tracking actually.

I heard Boom Blox completely removed the head tracking actually.

Oh, it seems you're right. Disappointing.

But just because its simple doesn't make it a bad thing. Even if its just another accelerometer, It could potentially add alot of depth to the motion controls.

That's why I'm curious to see this, they must have a pretty good reason for creating something like this. They might have found some ingenious use for this, something unexpected even to them.

Yeah, really bizarre why they took it away. I mean, how would it weaken the package in anyway? Unless they (or Nintendo) have better plans for it......

Well we've got real motion coming (something I had ruled out totally at this point, figured they'd see it as too "confusing" for casuals) so anything is possible now.

So do we recon that new Wii's will come with this as standard now? I would think that that is perfectly possible.

Boom Blox is an awesome name! Go to the corner!

So do we recon that new Wii's will come with this as standard now? I would think that that is perfectly possible.

I wouldn't be surprised, but there's too much we don't know yet, depends on how Nintendo intends to use it, it could be something like the balance board, comes with Wii Music and Punch Out for example and also sold separately. I'm hoping they'll bundle it with Wii's though.

If accellorometers is the only technology, there is little to be gained from placing them together unless, the new accellerometer is a new generation of more sensitve and responsive hardware.

I now understand: The device we see attached to the wii mote is just a wireless transmitter. The transmitter connects either to a wireless nunchuk. Alternaitvely, it connects to a sensors placed on the wrist or upper arm. This allows 1:1 in the way nintendo have described.

wiimotiondh4.jpg

There are some interesting articles on IEEE that i cannot access from home but may look at it in univeristy if they got a subscription. Pic for illustartion and imagination

wii cuff controller CONFIRMED it rather nifty as it doubles as the attachemetn for the safety strap.. YOU are going to need a strong safety strap for mad zelda sword play

optional wireless nunchuck CONFIRMED (again)

If accellorometers is the only technology, there is little to be gained from placing them together unless, the new accellerometer is a new generation of more sensitve and responsive hardware.

Accelorometers can really only measure movement and can only just a direction of movement when used as a group with different orientations, sensing the forces acting on them in coordination.

In a basic sense, they can only feel when the move left and right or up and down, they can't sense pitch (very well) or yaw.

Actually, 4 sensors would be ideal but hey.

But if you put another sensor at the base the rotation becomes much easier to sense. The pivot point is between the sensors, so collating the information denotes the rotation around that point.

Accelorometers can really only measure movement and can only just a direction of movement when used as a group with different orientations, sensing the forces acting on them in coordination.

In a basic sense, they can only feel when the move left and right or up and down, they can't sense pitch (very well) or yaw.

Actually, 4 sensors would be ideal but hey.

But if you put another sensor at the base the rotation becomes much easier to sense. The pivot point is between the sensors, so collating the information denotes the rotation around that point.

That makes sense too!

I just thought, I cant wait for the first serious tennis game to use this. This sensor will be able to detect slice shots, drop shots and a WHOLE bunch of information that will stop it being anything like Wii Sports.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been thinking, when the Wiimote wasn't facing the sensor bar it wasn't more than a dot to the console, it worked because games expected it to be in a certain position (such as golf and baseball). With this the Wiimote is an actual object with direction.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been thinking, when the Wiimote wasn't facing the sensor bar it wasn't more than a dot to the console, it worked because games expected it to be in a certain position (such as golf and baseball). With this the Wiimote is an actual object with direction.

Spot on my cycloptic colleague!

What I'm liking is that it will be easier for devs I recon. I get the feeling that all devs have been having to be kinda vague with the movements and like you said, assuming that it was in a certain place.

Now I recon we could also have a fighter with finer motion sensing too. Damn, imagine a fighter where if you do the movement more perfectly then the attack is better...