NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin von Snikbah

New Wii Controller?!

wiicontroller.jpg

I would buy it if its released. The classic controllers thumbsticks doesnt do much for me.

The patent page: nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=5&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Nintendo&s2=controller&OS=Nintendo+AND+controller&RS=Nintendo+AND+controller

Where'd you get this from? It reminds me of IGN's Wavebird mock-up that allowed you to slot the remote in.

I wouldn't buy that. Its a GC controller with messed up ergonomy and a slot for the Wiimote, which mean it'll be heavy in the front. And the sticks are too short for it being a proper arcade stick.

Handles on it please, Nintendo. Makes it so much more comfy. I don't see why they didn't put them on the classic controller. When playing 'classic' games I want my hands to be as comfy as possible.

Looks somewhat like a Sega GameGear to me.

Wow, I haven't played mine in ages. Got it handed down from a cousin, but I think it's at my grandma's house or something. Retro.

Like on the GC controller.

/ nando / has since enlightened me. Lol, I was trying to think of a controller with handles and all I could think of were the steering wheel controllers. I've never thought of a joypad in terms of having something to hold onto before, if you know what I mean.

i dont understand why people take patents seriously. It is a means of protection and a means to obstruct the competition. It is 0.01% to do with a real or planned product (especially the illustrative diagrames). In fact, the most important patents are kept hidden right until the last minute because a company doesnt want to reveal its strategy to competitors. I hate it when people make mountains out of molehills.

ANyway, I initially thought that this was the Gameboy2. i.e. GB2 is a visual memory unit that can be pluged into the wii or this cradle. but the description says controller. The patent seems reallly weak as it is so specific. A good patent tries to be as general as possible. So maybe it is something real to piss of the 3rd parties like the recent Nyko debacle. so to stand on my head, i think I am saying it was worth posting and worthy of my precious time. But i never go back and edit only add add add until my hole is really deep

Hmmm...Are Nintendo going to use this for re-released Cube games? Slot the remote in the middle and you have a new way to control F-Zero for instance.

I think Kotaku puts it really well:

What the?! Another Nintendo controller peripheral? This recently published US Patent and Trademark Office filing would certainly convince one to believe so! That is, until one looked at the date of the patent application submission, which dates back to 2005. Sure, the patent was published on June 28 of this year, but it references foreign application data that predates the official unveiling of the Wii Remote prototype.

While it may look like a snazzy Wavebird-style controller shell, what we think we're seeing is merely the original patent for the Wii Classic Controller. That device thankfully dropped the need for multiple controller shells — others in the style of SNES and NES pads are also in the patent — and kept the Wii Remote tethered to the controller by a cord, not slotted in as seen above.

Feel free to poke around the patent, linked below, for drawings of Wii controller patents that you can color and make your own!

Source

I wouldn't buy that. Its a GC controller with messed up ergonomy and a slot for the Wiimote, which mean it'll be heavy in the front. And the sticks are too short for it being a proper arcade stick.

Although it's just a patent design and will more than likely never see the light of the day (well in that form atleast, maybe as part of some other idea Nintendo will push through), it's really bad. It does look like a messed up GC controller, and whilst the GC controller is arguably the most comfortable controller ever made, that looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable. And I'm hoping that really wouldn't have been the slot for the Wiimote, because as darkjak said, it would be heavy at the front.

Edit: Oh, cheers Konfucius

Although it's just a patent design and will more than likely never see the light of the day (well in that form atleast, maybe as part of some other idea Nintendo will push through), it's really bad. It does look like a messed up GC controller, and whilst the GC controller is arguably the most comfortable controller ever made, that looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable. And I'm hoping that really wouldn't have been the slot for the Wiimote, because as darkjak said, it would be heavy at the front.

Edit: Oh, cheers Konfucius

I don't think it would of been too off balance, most of the weight of the Wii Remote is at the bottom with the batteries.

I can't see the top part of the Remote weighing that much, and that controller puts the batteries in the same place as the Wavebird.

Still doesn't stop it probably being the orginal idea behind the Classic Controller.

Sign in to follow this