N-Europe

Castlevania Judgement

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the PSP production had a much bigger budget going for it. I'm not too sure if it sold well or not but lets take the opposite nature for example. Lets say it sold poorly, well, that is going to give Konami the impression that Castlevania does not deserve a big budget, and as a result, it will have to be developed with a much smaller budget and time frame.

I can ensure you that the CVDS titles are much cheaper, and easier, to develop than the one that came out for the PSP. They also sold much better too for various reasons. That's not exactly a good thing though because it showed Konami that a big production CV title is bound to fail, so they have to keep the franchise on cheap development systems.

Iga is in a terrible position in this case. The PSP installment was probably his argument that a higher budget CV title could exist and do well and if it didn't do well, not only is it bad for Sony fans who wanted the series to continue on their platforms, but it is also bad for us since that means we'll always be stuck with what we have now. Which isn't bad by any means but if anyone wants something....more meatier than Judgement it is almost out of the question due to financial circumstances.

Anyone see Playr today on Bravo? They had this on, and I have to say I thought it looked pretty cool in full swing. Looked as though Konami had really tried to come up with something new.

In contrast, they were also showing Soul Calibur 4 on the PS3 and 360, and while it looked amazing graphically, I don't think it was very far ahead of last gen's versions in gameplay terms at all. My feeling was "OK, it's very pretty, but what's new here other than online play"?

Even if I had a 360 or PS3, Castlevania would most likely get my money. It just looked more interesting and different. Remains to be seen how the controls will work, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

True and Konami are thinking castlevania is dead series on the back of Dracula X Chronicle's incredible failure on PSP.

How bad did it do? Games are flopping on PS3 because people have brought the thing as Blu Ray player and aren't interested. The double edged sword of the mluti-media device!

• 4 weeks later...

Moar images:

278206732654ea80f9f5bxn9.jpg

2781208577f562081391btm6.jpg

2782066696719d4836f6bff6.jpg

278121031909d2bbbc5ebvc0.jpg

278206640048b555932fbuf1.jpg

2782068808fe87baff57bih2.jpg

27820682165f3eeb9be0bac9.jpg

2781209569960f0876babjy8.jpg

2782069318c6e0770b70bni5.jpg

278121098702f114e3ddbqg0.jpg

278206964834127c199bbln6.jpg

Interview:

You've talked about the reason for making Castlevania Judgment the kind of game that it is, talking about the motion control with the whip. Our thought on this was that in the DS games, the touch screen is not the primary method of control. So why did you feel that in a Wii game, motion control would have to be the primary method? Why not use it for special attacks and use buttons for the standard attacks, like you do on the DS?

Koji Igarashi (IGA): I completely understand that the touch screen is the main thing for the DS, but it has a D-pad and several buttons. So basically, you can have a complete game without using the touch screen at all. That’s why it felt right for my games, the Castlevania series. But the Wii controller has two buttons basically, so it's very limited in regard to the number of buttons. Yes, you can use the GameCube controller, but I didn't feel that was right. The other thing was, everyone thought using the Wii Remote as a whip was a cool idea, and a lot of people wanted that, so that's why things are the way they are.

We knew you were working on a game for Wii when we saw that screenshot for the DS game with a Wii connection. Can you talk more about that feature today?

IGA: Oh that? Yes. (laughs) By connecting the Wii and DS together, there are unlockable items that you get. One thing is that the Wii version unlocks Shanoa, the main character from Ecclesia, so right when you connect, you can play as her in Judgment. There are some other features, but I'll get into that later.

Does it affect the DS game as well?

IGA: Oh yes, it does.

You've made a few 3D Castlevania games, including Judgment. What are the difficulties in bringing Castlevania to 3D? What makes it an interesting challenge?

IGA: The most exciting thing about bringing it to 3D is the environments being much more beautiful and vibrant.

Many Castlevania fans are frustrated, because they are very loyal and have been following the games for a long time. When they found out there would be a game for Wii, they had certain expectations or certain ideas of what it would be like, and they were very surprised by Castlevania Judgment. How do you think Judgment will satisfy those fans who like to explore and go through action levels?

IGA: I understand that fans were very shocked when they saw the first screen shots and thought this is a fighting game and wondering why. I don't personally consider this to be a fighting game but rather a 3D versus action game. Also, I think something the fans will be very happy and interested in… Castlevania has a very rich 22-year history with a series timeline spanning thousands of years. This game allows characters who could never be in the same time period to appear together.

Now that Rondo of Blood has been remade for PSP, do you see any possibility of it being released on Virtual Console or remade for DS or WiiWare?

IGA: It's actually available in Japan on Virtual Console. With regards to WiiWare, I'm evaluating that right now, and to be honest, I think a 2D Castlevania game on WiiWare might be the right approach.

Would you consider taking the same approach that Capcom is with Mega Man 9?

IGA: Yes, I am evaluating that. As you might know, the Castlevania franchise has appeared on several platforms, so I am exploring a lot of different options right now.

Because you have been working on Castlevania for so long, do you ever feel that you would like to work on something different or original?

IGA: Yeah, once in a while I feel like doing something else, but I love Castlevania. I love the story and characters.

Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=16557

Wow, Simon Belmont looks so much like Yagami Light... Maria almost looks like Misa...

Anyway, who is "Aeon"?

A new character.

Each artist has its style it's normal that there are similarities, although Misa doesn't look like Maria to me.

Still, I think that changing the style so much in what's supposed to be a celebration of the series wasn't the best decision they made.

I prefer this Simon to Kojima's though:

SimonBelmont.gif

A new character.

Each artist has its style it's normal that there are similarities, although Misa doesn't look like Maria to me.

Still, I think that changing the style so much in what's supposed to be a celebration of the series wasn't the best decision they made.

I prefer this Simon to Kojima's though:

SimonBelmont.gif

Gotta agree with you. This new Belmont is weird. Of course, I'd rather have him with the original design.

But the new Maria is just awful. The old one had such a better design. And I still think she has some similarities to Misa (not the face, though :heh:)

And creating a new character for the Castlevania version of SSB? That's nonsense! Castlevania doesn't lack bad characters.

And creating a new character for the Castlevania version of SSB? That's nonsense! Castlevania doesn't lack bad characters.

He seems to be the plot justification for all the characters from different times to meet considering he is time-themed (name+ weird clock thing as a weapon).

• 5 weeks later...

72361520080929_003755_0_big.jpg

72361520080929_003755_1_big.jpg

:blank: :blank: :blank:

I believed Death was the only character with a design which can't be too far from his previous incarnations... I was wrong. :shakehead :shakehead

I'm not a real Castlevania fan so I can't say who is the female character but I'm sure she don't look like her original design at all.

EDIT: My bad... After reading the kana in his name and made a quicksearch, the female is a male... Eric Lecarde.

I don't mind Death's design. The only recurring design is the "Grim Reaper" look. After the first half of the fight, Death usually transforms into some other demonic form. As long as it involves skulls and a scythe, it's good.

Eric Lecarde... Now that's an obscure character. He's supposed to be a spanish guy called Eric Ricardo...And he looks very effeminate...Like "amnesia" Light :heh:

This is really starting to look like a Death Note fighting game. We already have two Light lookalikes, Misa, a Mello/Near hybrid and a Shinigami.

• 2 weeks later...