N-Europe

Ubisoft "Play Zone" - New label for Wii games

Gizmo

http://kotaku.com/5018058/ubisoft-enters-the-play-zone-with-sports-party

UBISOFT LAUNCHES NEW PLAY ZONE LABEL

Sports Party, first PLAY ZONE game for friends and family to enjoy exclusively on WiiTM

London, UK– June 19th, 2008– Today Ubisoft announced that it will launch a new Wii exclusive party-games range under the label PLAY ZONE. The PLAY ZONE titles will provide immediate entertainment&recreation thanks to original and numerous mini-games to be shared by all family members and friends.

Basically, all their Wii mini-game compilations will go under this label, I think. The first one being "Sports Party", another Wii Sports clone that will include such delights as croquet and lawn darts.

canoworms1.jpg?

Guest Maase

Oh, camon, don't be so bad.

There are people who are continuing to buy this type of games, they're loving them.

Why the hell would you waste time with an 80 hours epic adventure game when you can receive even more money with a 5 hours Mini-Game randomizer?

I don't really care, as long as The Conduit and Mad World are mine ^^

Guest Jordan

Makes you wonder.

Red Steel (despite being utter shit) sold 1 million units. You think they would actually realise the fanbase is actually there.

"Hardcore gamers" do own Wii's, we like playing fucking awesome games that aren't mini game collections. Stop being cocks.

This division will be making solely Wii games (and perhaps DS), but it doesn't mean there won't be any other divisions making Wii titles. Red Steel 2, for instance, is coming from a totally different team (and different from those who did the first one, I'm sure).

I feel most sorry for the Ubi employees who have been shoed into this new division; doomed to a career of mediocrity and general inferiority.

UBISOFT LAUNCHES NEW PLAY ZONE LABEL

Sports Party, first PLAY ZONE game for friends and family to enjoy exclusively on WiiTM

London, UK– June 19th, 2008– Today Ubisoft announced that it will launch a new Wii exclusive party-games range under the label PLAY ZONE. The PLAY ZONE titles will provide immediate entertainment&recreation thanks to original and numerous mini-games to be shared by all family members and friends.

fuckingnokl5.jpg

Right Ubi, you're really winning us as clients. (NOT)

They're not trying to.

I really don't see what people problem with this is. Ubi are just making a brand to put all their casual Wii games under. Nothing wrong with that so far as I can tell. None of these games are aimed at people on here and you aren't going to be forced to buy them so why make such a big deal out of it?

With all this, I feel humiliated by them, I think I'll just skip Red Steel 2, even if lot's of people doing so will tell ubi "oh, we're right, let's pump minigame compilations", they sold one million and still didn't change anyway... and were warned by their fanbase too.

So lame.

I really don't see what people problem with this is. Ubi are just making a brand to put all their casual Wii games under. Nothing wrong with that so far as I can tell. None of these games are aimed at people on here and you aren't going to be forced to buy them so why make such a big deal out of it?
Becuse they're taking the piss and even said they took the profits from wii development and invested it on the HD's (and encouraged others to do that as well).

to be short... they're surely mocking us.

This division will be making solely Wii games (and perhaps DS), but it doesn't mean there won't be any other divisions making Wii titles. Red Steel 2, for instance, is coming from a totally different team (and different from those who did the first one, I'm sure).

I feel most sorry for the Ubi employees who have been shoed into this new division; doomed to a career of mediocrity and general inferiority.

I heard whispers that Red Steel 2 was being completely redone.

And why do you feel sorry for them? They get to keep their jobs and I presume they'd get a steady income. People like Clover went against all the casual and minigame stuff and ended up being disbanded.

Now it's a minigame, where you walk through a street in modern tokyo, cosplaying up as mystical ninja and throwing shurikens while you get into random minigames each 5 seconds of gameplay, like if they were random battles.

Seriously though, do we even expect anything from ubisoft? all their games have been crap and mocking, fool me once, fool me twice, and if anything... they killed their own hype for a sequel of a lame FPS, with all the crap they shoveled at us, shows that making good games is not a priority at all.

Only thing I'm expecting from ubisoft... is a big bunch of crap.

And why do you feel sorry for them? They get to keep their jobs and I presume they'd get a steady income. People like Clover went against all the casual and minigame stuff and ended up being disbanded.

Many people from Clover have now regrouped and gone back to making games they enjoy making, proving just how much the enjoyment of doing what you want can influence your career decisions, even if the financial outcome may not be to your benefit. I guess any game designers in this new division who really care for making quality titles know and dread the fact that Ubisoft would essentially force them to rush out cheap cash-ins. As you say, the promise of a steady income is probably the obly thing keeping them there because they can't afford to group off and create an independent super team. So really, they are being forced to do a job they don't enjoy, thus I feel sorry for them.

Well it just proves ubisoft really do not have a clue where they are going as a company and clearly see this as the right route when it really isn't. Look back a few years and they could do very little wrong and were producing great game after great game...now they are just doing what they cynically think will sell games.