Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

Loving the Carew love. :heart:

Loving Burnley coming up. Be really interesting to see how Villa play at Turf Moor. It's like a smaller Villa Park, but with more pies.

Strachan's resigned? I'm a bit surprised. Won't be if he goes to Sunderland, mind.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strachan's resigned? I'm a bit surprised. Won't be if he goes to Sunderland, mind.

Nah it's not surprising really. He's been there 4 years now, won the title 3 times. It was time for him to move on. He's never had the full backing of the fans either.

Hopefully Mark McGee will take over the realms at Celtic, he'd be a cracking manager there. He's worked wonders with Motherwell. David Moyes would obviously be a good choice too but there's little chance of him leaving Everton.

Strachan has gone!!

Woooooooo!

Nah it's not surprising really. He's been there 4 years now, won the title 3 times. It was time for him to move on. He's never had the full backing of the fans either.

Hopefully Mark McGee will take over the realms at Celtic, he'd be a cracking manager there. He's worked wonders with Motherwell. David Moyes would obviously be a good choice too but there's little chance of him leaving Everton.

Agreed. Like I said, the only reason he's been successful is because there was no real competition. Not sure about Mark McGhee, but Moyes I could definately get behind.

I feel a bit sorry for Gordon. He never had the support of the fans yet his record is second to none. He's been a bit unfortunate in some of his signings being duds, when looking great on paper (Graveson, Donati etc). He never got the financial backing that O'Neil was given yet he progressed further in Europe then anyone else has done. To say there was no competition is bollocks. It didn't change when Jansen, Barnes, Vengloz and O'Neil were all in charge, it's always been the old firm. If anything, the gap between the rest has gotten smaller in the last few years.

That said, I never thought Strachan endeared himself to people in the way he handled interviews. So many times he was a dickhead for no reason, always trying to be a smart-arse. That's one of the reasons the fans never got truly behind him.

I feel a bit sorry for Gordon. He never had the support of the fans yet his record is second to none. He's been a bit unfortunate in some of his signings being duds, when looking great on paper (Graveson, Donati etc). He never got the financial backing that O'Neil was given yet he progressed further in Europe then anyone else has done. To say there was no competition is bollocks. It didn't change when Jansen, Barnes, Vengloz and O'Neil were all in charge, it's always been the old firm. If anything, the gap between the rest has gotten smaller in the last few years.

That said, I never thought Strachan endeared himself to people in the way he handled interviews. So many times he was a dickhead for no reason, always trying to be a smart-arse. That's one of the reasons the fans never got truly behind him.

Nah, it wasn't that. Sure some of his signings didn't work out, but he never really made the right signings in the first place. Willo Flood? Really? Of all the positions, midfield was the one where we had too many players. Why sign another?

Also, I think it's quite clear that in the last 4 years Rangers have been pretty weak. Paul Le Guen, anyone?

The thing that failed to endear him was his tactical decisions. Substitutions, formations, line ups consistantly failed. It happened too often to be bad luck.

Nah, it wasn't that. Sure some of his signings didn't work out, but he never really made the right signings in the first place. Willo Flood? Really? Of all the positions, midfield was the one where we had too many players. Why sign another?

Don't forget Paddy McCourt and some other Irish guy he bought who haven't even featured.

Zurawski.... dud.

Lee Naylor.... one good season then dud

Hinkel.... dud.

Roy Keane

Gravesen

Donati

That guy we have on loan from Barca.

I'm sure there are more too which I can't remember right now.

Mark McGee's CV is not great and I really dont see how he can be the next celtic manager. One good season at motherwell and nothing else!

Owen Coyle would be better. He plays good football at Burnley but again I not sure if that is the right move. Isnt it time Celtic started to get a manager who know's how to win in the Champions Leage.

The SPL teams have not got better. Its just Celtic have got a lot worse!!

Don't forget Paddy McCourt and some other Irish guy he bought who haven't even featured.

Zurawski.... dud.

Lee Naylor.... one good season then dud

Hinkel.... dud.

Roy Keane

Gravesen

Donati

Samaras my friend. That guy is a disgrace!!

Quick congrats to Wolfsburg in Germany. What a season and amazing achievement in winning the Bundasliga.

Edited by khilafah

Quick congrats to Wolfsburg in Germany. What a season and amazing achievement in winning the Bundasliga.

Great for them yeah.

Makes our lose to them in the UEFA Cup seem a lot less of a joke. Remember lot of Pompey fans were mad at the time but we lost to the champions of a country, gave the mighty AC Milan a run for their money, beat Heerenveen who ended up 5th in a very competitive dutch league this season and lost to Braga who also finished 5th in their league. Suddenly us not qualifying out that group doesn't seem as bad.

Saw some odds earlier that had Tony Mowbray down as favourite. I can see that happening, with West Brom having been relegated he would probably be willing to join. Not sure he has enough experience for it. Slaven Billic was mentioned also, but then he's mentioned for every job in British football these days.

Hinkel.... dud.

I can't believe your including Hinkel and Crosas as bad signings

they've been the two best players in the last 6 months pretty much

Hinkel is amazing going forward and up until the last couple of games he played, Crosas was playing really well, never gave the ball away always moving and looking for team-mates

I'm sad Gordon has gone, I think he was leaving win or lose

For all the people saying he was up against a poor Rangers so what, they gained more points than in the seasons Martin O'neill won the league and no-one complained about that then. He also worked under a far stricter budget than O'Neill. Yes he made some poor signings, but then again what manager doesn't?

Who would have known that Jarosik, Gravesen and Donati couldn't play well in the SPL? I know most people praised those signings when they happened, but are quick to criticise when they don't work out.

So a new manager, smart money is of course on Mowbray, Coyle and McGhee since they are the cheap options. I think that Moyes is in with a shout as well since if he wins the cup next weekend he'll have taken Everton as far as he can (had a top 4 finish, won a domestic trophy).

I'd love to see a top name coach, but it's not likely.

We have the basis for a good team, just need a few key signings and we'll take the title back comfortably next season :)

I can't believe your including Hinkel and Crosas as bad signings

they've been the two best players in the last 6 months pretty much

Hinkel is amazing going forward and up until the last couple of games he played, Crosas was playing really well, never gave the ball away always moving and looking for team-mates

I'm sad Gordon has gone, I think he was leaving win or lose

For all the people saying he was up against a poor Rangers so what, they gained more points than in the seasons Martin O'neill won the league and no-one complained about that then. He also worked under a far stricter budget than O'Neill. Yes he made some poor signings, but then again what manager doesn't?

Who would have known that Jarosik, Gravesen and Donati couldn't play well in the SPL? I know most people praised those signings when they happened, but are quick to criticise when they don't work out.

So a new manager, smart money is of course on Mowbray, Coyle and McGhee since they are the cheap options. I think that Moyes is in with a shout as well since if he wins the cup next weekend he'll have taken Everton as far as he can (had a top 4 finish, won a domestic trophy).

I'd love to see a top name coach, but it's not likely.

We have the basis for a good team, just need a few key signings and we'll take the title back comfortably next season :)

Hinkel has done well and Crosas is a good player also. Why the hell did Strachan drop Crosas for majority of the big games though. It was a joke how he would drop him and play Paul Hartley.

Technically Crosas is good and knows how to keep the ball so he should of been playing in the big games.

Hinkel has done well and Crosas is a good player also. Why the hell did Strachan drop Crosas for majority of the big games though. It was a joke how he would drop him and play Paul Hartley.

Technically Crosas is good and knows how to keep the ball so he should of been playing in the big games.

Incorrect. Crosas is done nothing but score one decent goal, he drifts through games anonymously. I don't doubt he's a good player, he's just not showed at Celtic. Hinkel is another that has hardly set the world alight. He was awesome at Stuttgart but has not replicated the form so far for us. I'm hopeful that the new manager coming in can get the best out of these players as they could be awesome.

I might be biased, but I really can't see Mowbray leaving us anytime soon.

Since he's come in he has been allowed to express him self liberally on the club. He's brought in a whole load of new faces, he's weeding out the old that he doesn't want. We're playing a completely different style of football now and he is being given what money Peace can afford (without disrupting our books) to get in the players he needs.

We (the fans) love him, and at the end of the day: if Mowbray manages to realise his vision and turn what is already a decent work in progress into a premier league side, he'll get far more recognition for his acheivments than by jumping ship to a sucessful (in Scotland) Celtic.

Just out of curiosity (this might come across as me being a dick): where do you scottish fans imagine Celtic and Rangers would finish if they joined the English leagues??

Right now not very high. Probably mid-to-low table. But within a few years we'd be up there fighting for European spots, and within another few the Champs League spots.

If you look at a team like Middlesborough can afford £12m for Alves, then a few years in the Premier League would bolster the squad plenty and get us up there.

Right now not very high. Probably mid-to-low table. But within a few years we'd be up there fighting for European spots, and within another few the Champs League spots.

I'm glad you realise the gulf, but do you really think you'd be fighting for Champions League spots that soon?? Are all the other teams in the league not going to be getting the same money to spend?? Or will Celtic/Rangers spend theirs infinately better??

If you look at a team like Middlesborough can afford £12m for Alves.

I don't think Middlesborough could actually afford to spend £12m on Alves. Theres a difference between spending and affording. That money would have been much better spent on bringing in maybe a couple or 3 new faces to strengthen more areas of the pitch.

Instead Middlesborough have a £12m flop to get rid of now that they need to cut their wage bill. Will everyone interested please stop rushing and form an orderly queue.... =P

I'm glad you realise the gulf, but do you really think you'd be fighting for Champions League spots that soon?? Are all the other teams in the league not going to be getting the same money to spend?? Or will Celtic/Rangers spend theirs infinately better??

I don't think Middlesborough could actually afford to spend £12m on Alves. Theres a difference between spending and affording. That money would have been much better spent on bringing in maybe a couple or 3 new faces to strengthen more areas of the pitch.

Instead Middlesborough have a £12m flop to get rid of now that they need to cut their wage bill. Will everyone interested please stop rushing and form an orderly queue.... =P

It's not that Celtic and Rangers will "spend it better", but it's that they are simply bigger clubs. Currently, in my opinion, the old firm are limited by the SPL. They are being held back by their league. In the EPL, they will have more money to spend on this growth. Celtic Park is a 60,000 seater (with around a 50,000 average gate? I'm guessing), and I have no doubts that in the EPL gate numbers would only grow - rather than playing Falkirk for the 4th time that year, you'll be getting in someone like Tottenham or Aston Villa. This will attract more players, because it's a big club, with a big support, and big ambitions.

Delighted about this to be honest, what a legend Sunday-Monday-Habib Beye is. Been one of our best players all season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/26/habib-beye-set-to-stay-with-newcastle-united-72703-23712324/

While Beye may want to stay. I would imagine if a club makes a decent offer for him. Given his wages, he wont have a say in the matter.

Incorrect. Crosas is done nothing but score one decent goal, he drifts through games anonymously. I don't doubt he's a good player, he's just not showed at Celtic. Hinkel is another that has hardly set the world alight. He was awesome at Stuttgart but has not replicated the form so far for us. I'm hopeful that the new manager coming in can get the best out of these players as they could be awesome.

I'm just asking but do you actually get to games? Because everyone I've spoken to who has seen Crosas live rates him very highly.

Currently, in my opinion, the old firm are limited by the SPL. They are being held back by their league.

My initial bringing up of this point was to suggest that their sucess is only relative to the quality of the competition in their league.

I understand your point and so am not going to argue against it, rather just state my view:

I believe the fact that their competition is poor is the reason Celtic/Rangers are where they are year in year out (top of the table) and are looked upon as being so good. There is no-one else in the league really, and moving them into a league with higher quality opposition would simply highlight that they aren't as good as the Scottish table suggests.

Again, that is my opinion and unless the situation arose where the old firm were allowed to join the Premier League we really wouldn't know which way it would go...

On another point...

I feel that the Gulf in class between our established top four and the rest of the league will only ever be overcome by private investment, say Randy Lerner at Villa or the investment at Manchester City. With the rich clubs able to out buy the smaller clubs, they are able to compete in higher/more competitions than the smaller teams, resulting in them winning more money and the gap increasing for the following year (kind of like a positive feedback loop, only less exponential).

Does anyone agree? disagree with this? How do people feel about wage-capping e.t.c?

Just some thoughts to keep the football talk flowing between the transfer news :smile:

My initial bringing up of this point was to suggest that their sucess is only relative to the quality of the competition in their league.

I understand your point and so am not going to argue against it, rather just state my view:

I believe the fact that their competition is poor is the reason Celtic/Rangers are where they are year in year out (top of the table) and are looked upon as being so good. There is no-one else in the league really, and moving them into a league with higher quality opposition would simply highlight that they aren't as good as the Scottish table suggests.

Again, that is my opinion and unless the situation arose where the old firm were allowed to join the Premier League we really wouldn't know which way it would go...

Whenever Celtic or Rangers have played English teams in competition, they have always been very successful. Look at Celtics run to the UEFA cup final: they beat both Blackburn and Liverpool on the way. This was a while ago yes. but they have also had reasonable success against ManU in the Champions League recently. I think playing these teams week in week out, in the first couple of years, there would be only mild success. Like I said, mid to low table. But, after becoming accustomed to the new league, I think they would move up quickly.

Celtic would do very well in the EPL as the investment they would get wold be off the charts. Trust me Celtic have plent of guys ready to invest in the club but they wont do it while the SPL is holding them back.

Thats for another time though as I believe they will be in England one day we just dont know how soon.

For now the club needs to start acting like the big club it is. At the moment Frank Rijkaard, Claudio Ranieri and Phil Scolari are all free and waiting for new jobs so celtic should be talking to these guys. The club may not get them but they have to show some ambition. I do think Ranieri would accept the celtic job though if it was offered to him.

You should start at the top and work your way down.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!