N-Europe

UBISOFT's Wii Games

Dante

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubisoft - Casual market made us rethink our games

“When you’re reaching out to somebody who plays one or two games a year, it’s very easy. You don’t need to follow the rules of previous markets. But as they play more and competitors emerge, you have to rethink the way you do the games. The casual audience is becoming more demanding, for sure, and we need to make sure we’re proving more than what they’re anticipating. Seniors have no benchmark. Young girls, for instance, are now used to games that are made just for them – and have started thinking they want something better.” - Ubisoft’s Games For Everyone range Pauline Jacquey

• 4 weeks later...

Ubisoft are again claiming they make quality titles.

A portion of a CasualGaming interview with Stephane Decroix, Product Director of Third-Party for EMEA…

CG: What sets Ubisoft apart when it comes to understanding the casual audience compared to other publisher who may have been more successful in other areas?

SD: When it comes to Nintendo platforms, we were there at the very beginning. Ubisoft have always prided themselves on creativity and quality, and we carry those principles through to casual as well. We go where there are no boundaries and no rules.

The world would like to disagree.

So Tellyn, you asked that Ubi loser for an interview with higher ups and he said he's pass it along... they never answered right? uhhhh... they must be so confident about their quality.

Correctamundo. I never expected them to respond to anyone other than IGN to be honest.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump a relatively old topic, but does anyone else think that the whole backlash over Ubidays actually helped?

The three main games that were the cause of it have seemingly turned out decent. I haven't played Shawn White Snowboarding, but it seems to be getting the better reviews on Wii, Dogz was reshown a little while back with a graphical boost that puts it among higher-end Gamecube titles, and now this; That Babyz game gets a decent score, despite it looking horrible.

I have to say I never understood the backlash in the first place. Forum users are not indicative of the actual Wii market and Ubisoft are targeting a part of the Wii market that's about as far away from forum goers as it gets. For a lot of people the output of Ubisoft is exactly what they want, the fact they're reviewing well proves you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I have to say I never understood the backlash in the first place. Forum users are not indicative of the actual Wii market and Ubisoft are targeting a part of the Wii market that's about as far away from forum goers as it gets. For a lot of people the output of Ubisoft is exactly what they want' date=' the fact they're reviewing well proves you can't judge a book by it's cover.[/quote']

I agree with you partially. But what I don't like is how they're creating bad games for people who have a hard time telling the difference. I could understand if they were selling their games for cheap, but most of the ubi games I've seen have been full price.

Most of the people these games appeal to actually enjoy them though. They're giving them some simple waggle fun and that's exactly what they want from the Wii. They might not live up to what you or I would call a good game but as long as they are fulfilling the needs of the intended user that's ok. People will pay what they think something is worth, if full price is pulling in the required amount of buying then that's fair enough. Publishers have to make their money somewhere.

7.5?

WUT?

I would laugh so much if this received a great score at Metacritics, 4Chan has been trolling this shit for years, what would happen when they discovered its actually a pretty good Minigame Fest?

Most of the people these games appeal to actually enjoy them though. They're giving them some simple waggle fun and that's exactly what they want from the Wii. They might not live up to what you or I would call a good game but as long as they are fulfilling the needs of the intended user that's ok. People will pay what they think something is worth' date=' if full price is pulling in the required amount of buying then that's fair enough. Publishers have to make their money somewhere.[/quote']

Yes, but they only like them because they don't know there are better casual games. It would be like if you didn't know there were any games other than simple pong like games. You would enjoy these just as much as something released today because you wouldn't know there was anything better. And lets say someone was selling them for the same price as today's games. You would pay that because you wouldn't know that it was a huge rip off. It might be fine to do that, but it still seems very wrong to take advantage of people like that. Its also a shame that good casual games that will have the exact same value to a casual game are outsold by crap because people don't know the difference.

IGN the same site that reviewed FM2009 compared it to Fifa and Pro Evo, sad it's graphics were crap and soundtrack was dire. Gave the game 2/10.

A few days later removed the review because they got it horribly wrong.

I think I'll give their reviews a wide birth for a while.

Yes, but they only like them because they don't know there are better casual games. It would be like if you didn't know there were any games other than simple pong like games. You would enjoy these just as much as something released today because you wouldn't know there was anything better. And lets say someone was selling them for the same price as today's games. You would pay that because you wouldn't know that it was a huge rip off. It might be fine to do that, but it still seems very wrong to take advantage of people like that. Its also a shame that good casual games that will have the exact same value to a casual game are outsold by crap because people don't know the difference.

Does it really matter that there is better games out there though? I'm not a fashion expert, there's probably much better clothes available than what I buy at the same price but if they do the job for me and I enjoy them then is that really such a big problem?

Ubi's marketing and awareness in the casual gamers mind is good enough for them to pick up these games, if other companies are failing then Ubisoft can't be blamed simply for succeeding in this segment of the market.

I don't think Ubisoft's games are of a lower quality than other publishers either. Which games that are aiming for the same markets do you think are so much better?

Gotta agree with 'will's philosophy on this. Especially now that I get to see a publisher from the inside (sort of).

Think of it like this. Micheal Bay makes awful, shit horrible movies that make a fantastic amount of money. They appeal to a certain consumer with a certain appetite and it fits the spot.

They appeal to a certain consumer with a certain appetite and it fits the spot.

True but dear god, who the hell is going to want to actually buy Imagine Babyz? :blank: I seriously hope it bombs in sales despite it's ok-ish review, this is not what I bought my Wii for.

Fair enough it's not aimed at people like me but I just hope there aren't enough people out there who actually buy it and like it otherwise they'll have another sequel of it on the shelf next year and more cash in their pocket to just plough into other format titles like Beyond Good and Evil 2... now the putting the money into games that are destined to be hopefully decent like BG&E2 isn't so bad, but it's not really that great a prospect for people who just own a Wii.

but it's not really that great a prospect for people who just own a Wii.

Maybe not for the type of ppl who have been long term gamers. But they are the minority of the Wii demographic now. If people have bought the Wii thinking it's going to be something other than a generally casual system sprinkled with yummy Nintendo franchise games then that's not Ubisoft's fault.

If people want to be playing Gears of War, Resident Evil, Mass Effect and so on but only hav a Wii then the solution to the problem is pretty obvious. They own the wrong system.

There is a demographic for the Imagine series and it's been selling like hotcakes on the DS from what I know. It's all over the place like the Argos catalogue and in kids magazines.

There are no competitors for the Imagine series bar a couple of Nintendo efforts that lead the field. Why does everyone seem to think that there are better alternatives?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!