NEurope
Emasher

Phoenix Mars Landing

Who else is following this?

The Phoenix Mars Mission is to send a probe to mars that basically digs through the soil of the arctic surface looking for evidence of life wether past or present. It lands in less than an hour from when I'm posting. According to NASA there's a 50/50 chance it works.

Wow, I turned it on and it was just landing... Awaiting video confirmation now...

Edit, and they've got it!

Phoenix has landed.

Awesome stuff.

Kinda want it to explode for no reason now.

Evertime they do these kind of missions i always expect it to turn into a film where they move a camera or something and there is an alien and smashes the machine up....

You never know...

Yer you would think so. And even more so considering the amount of money that goes into funding these projects!

What will happen if we find aliens on mars?

If we do, they'll either be already dead and in fossilised form or microbes. It'll just prove that Mars was once, or could be habitable for human life.

Or they could be like the super-bugs out of Starship Troopers...

If we did find tiny microbes on Mars, the obvious action to take would be to declare nuclear war.

If we did find tiny microbes on Mars, the obvious action to take would be to declare nuclear war.

why take a chance? just go for pre-emtive Nuking

I'm with you there, Brother. We should of done this 30 years ago, anyway.

I've just been reading about to Opportunity and Spirit rovers, and it made me realise just how ridiculously impressive it is to not only put something onto another planet, but land something more complex than most technology most of us will ever encounter softly enough for it to drive off and explore over 7KM from it's landing site, and last more than four years (15 times longer than was predicted), and between them have only 3 irreplaceable faults - a radioactive source in a spectroscope decayed, and wheel jammed (so one has to drive backwards), and the shoulder joint on an arm on one of them buggered up, although the it's still functional.

Yes, the ESA has probes in orbit around Mars, Venus, and an asteroid, and I'm not saying it's not impressive, but, by god, the Yanks sure do know what they're doing...

I'm curious to know the results of the sub-surface water probe Phoenix has on it...

Yep. Landed last night. Sent back some really nice pictures of the barren landscape, hardly any boulders in the shots it took.

You`d think that in this time of age the chances for success would be a little higher than 50%.

The number was actually based on the success of previous missions. Because half had a successful landing, they say that this one had a 50/50 chance of landing when really the chances were probably higher. They said that on the TV coverage last night.

But its kinda absurd the faith they showed with all that clapping in the end, seems like all they did was shoot something into space and cross their fingers.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone hijacked the feed live, and replaced it with the Transformers trailer.

The core of Mars is ice. Hopefully the Phoenix will be able to start the reactor.

Hopefully this probe will give us an insight into the possibility of life on another planet.

But its kinda absurd the faith they showed with all that clapping in the end, seems like all they did was shoot something into space and cross their fingers.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone hijacked the feed live, and replaced it with the Transformers trailer.

Haha yeah that would be awesome :awesome:

I still don't understand why people are insistant that there was to be water for there to be life.

Life on Earth needs water, who's to say life on mars does?

It's a God awful small affair

To the girl with the mousey hair,

But her mummy is yelling, "No!"

And her daddy has told her to go,

But her friend is no where to be seen.

Now she walks through her sunken dream

To the seats with the clearest view

And she's hooked to the silver screen,

But the film is sadd'ning bore

For she's lived it ten times or more.

She could spit in the eyes of fools

As they ask her to focus on

Sailors

Fighting in the dance hall.

Oh man!

Look at those cavemen go.

It's the freakiest show.

Take a look at the lawman

Beating up the wrong guy.

Oh man!

Wonder if he'll ever know

He's in the best selling show.

Is there life on Mars?

It's on America's tortured brow

That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow.

Now the workers have struck for fame

'Cause Lennon's on sale again.

See the mice in their million hordes

From Ibeza to the Norfolk Broads.

Rule Britannia is out of bounds

To my mother, my dog, and clowns,

But the film is a sadd'ning bore

'Cause I wrote it ten times or more.

It's about to be writ again

As I ask you to focus on

Sailors

Fighting in the dance hall.

Oh man!

Look at those cavemen go.

It's the freakiest show.

Take a look at the lawman

Beating up the wrong guy.

Oh man!

Wonder if he'll ever know

He's in the best selling show.

Is there life on Mars?

I still don't understand why people are insistant that there was to be water for there to be life.

Life on Earth needs water, who's to say life on mars does?

Well everything on Earth needs water in some form to survive so we have no reason to believe other species won't need water, basically. Obviously it's a possibility, but judging by what we've encountered so far, water is essential. So looking for life on other planets, the obvious place to look is around where water could be or has been in the past.