NEurope
Sanchez

How do I take chill pill?

On Tuesday I have an interview (technically 2, making a total of 3)for a job and I know I'm going to get crazy nervous like I did with the first one. So, any tips for keeping my cool and while we're at it, general tips for the interview?

Just imagine the interviewer in his/her underwear...

Seriously though, I've never had a proper interview, but my advice anyway would just to remember that it's not an interrogation. Shake their hand when you gon in. Sit on your hands if you find yourself to be fidgetting or going OTT with gestures. Just think that they would have been in your position several times in their life. Make conversation if you can, but not small-talk, and don't waffle. Laugh it their jokes, and if all else fails, there's always falatio.

I'd say just act normal. I almost got a job as a clerical assistant, it was down to me and some girl but that girl managed to get the job. Because she was a lying little bitch and put a load of faulse crap on her CV. One day i shall find her and give her a stern talking to.

I had an interview for a jo at sainsburys!

As long as you don't tell them you have had bad cases of violent diahoerea you'll be fine. :)

I got mixed up on the medical part of it and got confused between violent diahoerea and what I had actually had before which is mild constipation! :heh:

Try to make the interviewer laugh! :D

I was really nervous but I managed to get a few jokes in which made them laugh. So they could see I was a nice person just very shy!

Also walk in naked because then that way things can't get much more akward!

All I can say is prepare. They're bound ask pointless questions such as "name a time you've worked successfully in a team and what made it successful" or "why are you looking for a job with us" or the ever popular "what three words would you say best describe yourself". Make sure you have some answers pre-planned for these sorts of questions.

Had a bad interview a few months ago in which I was given a picture of the solar system and told "tell us about this, you have 5 minutes, go!". Cue 5 minutes of stuttering about the moons of Jupiter, origins of the solar system and any other barely remembered semi-facts. Didn't get the job.

Cube is right, a glass of water is a great tool during an interview, to keep you relaxed and you can use it if you need a few seconds to think about your answer.

Best advice I can give is to prepare some answers with relevant examples of:

-times when you had a leadership role.

-teamwork.

-personal strengths and weaknesses.

-where you see yourself in 5 years.

Also it's good to have an understanding of the company, chances are they'll ask you what you know about them. Just relax and go with the flow, the interviewer isn't going to try and catch you out, they've got a list of questions that they have to ask, as long as you answer them somewhat coherently you'll be fine. Once you've answered the question, leave it at that, there's nothing worse than waffling and ending up going off on a complete tangent.

I know interviews can be the most nerve-wracking thing ever, but they get easier with experience. Good luck!

For the record its a respected AAA games company and I don't expect them to give bullshit questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" although I will think about them just in case.

A few weeks ago I had a phone interview with them and all the questions were about the games industry, and a few about why I'm interested in the job.

I've found out plenty about the company in anticipation of that.

For the record its a respected AAA games company and I don't expect them to give bullshit questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" although I will think about them just in case.

A few weeks ago I had a phone interview with them and all the questions were about the games industry, and a few about why I'm interested in the job.

I've found out plenty about the company in anticipation of that.

What's the position and what did you write on your cover letter?

For my interview at Squ-Ex they basically asked me to elaborate on what I wrote.

Well I said before so I guess I might as well do it again, they made crackdown. Hint hint.

It's a 6 month contract as QA tester. I have absolutely no previous work experience so I just shoved my cover letter into my CV. My experience includes beta testing on a pair of games and some software. That's why I'm quite nervous, I'm by no means a shoe in, but i'd be really excited to work there and even if they didn't pay me anything it would be valuable and respectful work experience in the future, and probably some decent connections.

I suspect they will ask me about my previous beta testing experience, so I'll prepare for that.

A glass of water usually helps.

Preferably with or after food.

It depends on the size of the company, but you might find you're interviewed by someone almost as nervous as you are. Make eye contact, show an interest in the company, ask questions, don't waffle on and on. Good luck.

Breathe deeply before heading in, and think about what you are going to say to the interviewer(s) before you say it. Don't give stupid answers if you can help it, try and make them chuckle a little as well if possible.

Haha, same job as me. :p

Be confident, seriously, go in knowing you will own at this job.

They will be looking for some who can actually play computer games (I know that sounds weird but you'd be surprised at some of the people who will apply who have no idea). Be enthusiastic about everything you talk about but basically be yourself.

What's REALLY important in QA is organisation. If you've been in any positions of responsibility try and get that across.

I had no experience and I beat about 20 people to land the job so don't let that worry you.

...that probably didn't help. Don't be nervous though be confident in your abilities.

EDIT: Heads up everyone, I think Squ-Ex are currently hiring if anyone is interested.

Tips from my friend who now works at tt games in manc. You are going there to work for THEIR company. Not only because you enjoy computer games, but do some research into what they'll be doing in the next 5 years, APB for example, and how this product will greatly compete with the likes of other hard selling games out there.

For the occupation as it is, think how they will want you work day by day. So for QA say a lot of stuff like "I have a great attention to detail, I have the ability to time manage myself to the given standard". Etc etc.

If you quote a lot of ya cv as well then thats a good'un. Seeing as thats the main piece of material they'll be refereeing to and the main reason WHY they gave you an interview in the first place. Show them its not bullshit and most importantly be confidant in what you say.

Dress code is quite an important one, never go too smart, go casual so ya not outshowing them, of course thats more research into what they dress like as well. No rock shirts and jeans. Smart shoes, trousers etc etc. If you look good and you feel that way, its more confidence points in ya jar and they'll know it.

Other than that, Good Luck. :smile:

Yes, I've educated myself on APB as much as I can. I asked about dress code as well, they said to go in what you feel comfortable in. I'm going to just go in some tasteful jeans and t-shirt because tbh it's all I own.

Just got back from the interview. Very pleased with how it went. When I entered the building almost all the anxiety just flushed away. Thanks to Cube for the suggestion of a glass of water. Either it helped or the placebo effect of thinking it helped helped. :P

The questions I got asked weren't anything I rehersed for, nor was it something I think I could have rehersed really. Most of them about games and/or how i'd test, one or two about previous experience and another about attitude to the work place. Group interview was fun, apparantly our group did better than all the others, I think I scored quite a few points there. They also showed us some videos of APB from GDC, the ones you can see on youtube or whatever.

One of the guys there was fresh off the GTA IV testing team. Apparantly they had a bug in the last week where your character had collision detection 60m to the right, hehe.

Sanchez I've only just noticed the "KURENAI" in your sig.

Anyway hope you get the job.