NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Pokemon MMO Pitched to Nintendo

It won't happen, and if it does I'll eat my hat! It would be nice to see a Pokémon MMO in the future but if we ever see one it'll be created by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, not a small independent developer.

Hopefully this will at least give Nintendo a bit of a shove and make it aware that fans want a massively online version of the game. I wouldn't object to that, but I'd rather it be on the Wii than the DS (though there's potential they could coexist). :)

Doubt it

Gamefreak have said countless times that the main games are a handheld venture and although people have been lobbying for a MMO for a while, Nintendo and Gamefreak know better than anyone that its just not feasible or logical

Doubt it

Gamefreak have said countless times that the main games are a handheld venture and although people have been lobbying for a MMO for a while, Nintendo and Gamefreak know better than anyone that its just not feasible or logical

Well, the MMO (if it were to be made) would not be a main game. Even if it was, and it was indeed handheld, an MMO is still possible. If Maple Story is possible handheld, Pokemon is aswell. So thats your feasible response gone to the shitter, and your logical response isnt logical at all, market is there, money to be made etc

Well, the MMO (if it were to be made) would not be a main game. Even if it was, and it was indeed handheld, an MMO is still possible. If Maple Story is possible handheld, Pokemon is aswell. So thats your feasible response gone to the shitter, and your logical response isnt logical at all, market is there, money to be made etc

So you want a 2D sidescrolling Pokemon MMO?

So you want a 2D sidescrolling Pokemon MMO?

Ha, nah I didnt mean that, but the current perspective the Pokemon games use is still possible to use. In Pokemon Crater, to combat the problem of overcrowding, people were allowed in spaces already being used and to make sure they dont lose where they are, they had a yellow aura around them. Every player within a one block radius would be displayer below the map, so if Pokemon were to be used on the wii, you could press and hold a button to display who's nearby so you know who your sending a trade request to etc. For DS, it is displayed on the bottom screen in a Poketch application and you use the stylus to drag down the list.

Crater had the best idea's for a Pokemon MMO, I believe if it were to be made, Crater's features and idea's will highly influence those used in an official MMO.

This news is really old, I interviewed Nnooo last year and it was up on their site then...

This news is really old, I interviewed Nnooo last year and it was up on their site then...
I think you're forgetting something, it's a "cool Pokémon MMO"! ;)

I think their too small for Nintendo to even consider them to be honest. Might sound cruel but I think if Nintendo allowed a Pokemon MMO, it would be for a bigger and more trusted company.

Hopefully not Konami

Isn't Wobbuffet banned from tournaments because it's imba?

But a Pokémon Tournaments are just sad.

Wobbuffet's aren't even cheap, they're not THAT difficult to beat or anything, there are far more annoying 'mon.

Hopefully not Konami

But a Pokémon Tournaments are just sad.

Wobbuffet's aren't even cheap, they're not THAT difficult to beat or anything, there are far more annoying 'mon.

Lmao. A proper EV's wobbuffet is practically invincable. If you attack it you're fucked and it's pretty hard to 1HKO it.

There are other series I think would work much better as MMO games for Nintendo. Metroid might work fairly well, you could chose if you were a space pirate or a GF hunter at the beginning.

There are other series I think would work much better as MMO games for Nintendo. Metroid might work fairly well, you could chose if you were a space pirate or a GF hunter at the beginning.

Didn't people moan about Metroid Prime 3 not having enough of a feeling of "solitude"?

Imagine the reaction to an MMO.

The thing though is it wouldn't be about samus, it would just be set in the metroid universe.

Lmao. A proper EV's wobbuffet is practically invincable. If you attack it you're fucked and it's pretty hard to 1HKO it.

It's not about if Wobbuffet is invincible or not. It's more of "What would happen if two Wobbuffets met on the battlefield?"

Ability: Shadow Tag - The opponent cannot run or switch

Didn't people moan about Metroid Prime 3 not having enough of a feeling of "solitude"?

Imagine the reaction to an MMO.

It would be a spin-off and not part of the main series.

If they sell it as a spin-off, I see no problem (not like Metroid Prime: Hunters...).

well i still beleive an MMO is a must for the Wii. Whether it be Pokemon or any other Title.

It's not about if Wobbuffet is invincible or not. It's more of "What would happen if two Wobbuffets met on the battlefield?"

Ability: Shadow Tag - The opponent cannot run or switch

Oh yeah.

Though surely noone has single matches anymore?!

And if you were only allowed one per person...

Oh yeah.

Though surely noone has single matches anymore?!

And if you were only allowed one per person...

Many tournaments are still based on the 1 vs 1 pokemon battle setup. I still prefer it actually, although 2 vs 2 is alot more strategic and requires alot more knowledge of combination moves.

Any way, back on topic, chances are we wont hear anything regarding Nnooo's pitch for a while, bit I'l keep checking their status of the pitch.

Oh lord

When will this MMORPG fad regarding Pokemon die.

It.wont.work.

End of.

Just search my posts on this fporum for the many many times I've spoken out about this

I'm with Serebii. If people stopped fan-wanking for 2 seconds they would be able to see that an MMO is neither feasible or good for the franchise. Nintendo could be doing better things with their time and money.

Oh lord

When will this MMORPG fad regarding Pokemon die.

It.wont.work.

End of.

Just search my posts on this fporum for the many many times I've spoken out about this

am how about no?

anyway i live to see the day you will be proved wrong about this.. Of course it would bloody work!

I'm with Serebii. If people stopped fan-wanking for 2 seconds they would be able to see that an MMO is neither feasible or good for the franchise. Nintendo could be doing better things with their time and money.

Exactly.

Listen to this man, people.

well there was an article a few years back about how a pokemon MMO could be acheived. I cant find a link for it now but it was a good read, and showed how it was possible.

I will look and see if i can find it.

EDIT: Here it is

http://cube.ign.com/articles/544/544508p1.html

long read but it shows how it could be done

Nintendo have invested in small developers before.

How about N-Space (Geist) and or Retro? Noone had heard of either before Nintendo invested.

well there was an article a few years back about how a pokemon MMO could be acheived. I cant find a link for it now but it was a good read, and showed how it was possible.

I will look and see if i can find it.

EDIT: Here it is

http://cube.ign.com/articles/544/544508p1.html

long read but it shows how it could be done

No, that's not about how it could be achieved, it's how it would be as a game. A very quick glance at the amount of content creation required to make this game interesting for more than 40hrs of gameplay is obscene. The revenues would simply not meet the overheads of production, just look at how little a game you get in Pokemon Battle Rev (or whatever the Wii arena game is called) and you get an idea of how much time and money it cost to build a 3d pokemon with a full set of move animations.

For the MMO to be viable Nintendo would have to charge you £60 for the game and £30 a month for online subscription.

Also can no one see how if an MMO is made, then the franchise has NO future. You can't go back to doing RPGs after making an MMO. You're equivalently asking the franchise to put a 9-ball to it's face and pull the trigger.

No, that's not about how it could be achieved, it's how it would be as a game. A very quick glance at the amount of content creation required to make this game interesting for more than 40hrs of gameplay is obscene. The revenues would simply not meet the overheads of production, just look at how little a game you get in Pokemon Battle Rev (or whatever the Wii arena game is called) and you get an idea of how much time and money it cost to build a 3d pokemon with a full set of move animations.

For the MMO to be viable Nintendo would have to charge you £60 for the game and £30 a month for online subscription.

Also can no one see how if an MMO is made, then the franchise has NO future. You can't go back to doing RPGs after making an MMO. You're equivalently asking the franchise to put a 9-ball to it's face and pull the trigger.

This does make sense, although I have played Pokemon MMO's that have taken quite a considerable amount of time from me, the have been free. I've been quite ignorant of the money side to this, although I stay firm that I do think its possible.

But as I think of it now, thanks to the new replies to this thread, a fully fledged MMO is probably not like, and I had raised concerns about how much time could be spent on any Pokemon game. However, a Pokemon game with MMO features is alot more likely and I'd glady bet on it for the next generation.

An online city with the help of lobbies could hold online trainers and can wander around, selling items, furniture for secret bases etc and providing a few conditions have been met, communication. I may be thinking a bit too Phantasy Star Online here, but who wouldnt want to play a co-op side quest online involving you and a friend double battling to a prize etc, infact Pokemon needs to get some MMO features in because even though its possible through planning now, a reliable tournament with real time viewing to verify the winner and an online exclusive Pokemon with a certain move, item etc can be won.

But now that I think about it, something like this will definitely not happen on the Wii.

Sign in to follow this