NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Rogue Trooper Heads To Wii

From Kotaku

2000 AD's Rogue Trooper makes his triumphant return to the video game scene later this year as UK developer Rebellion reaches an agreement with Reef Entertainment to publish a new version of the 2006 Xbox, PC, and PS2 shooter Rogue Trooper: The Quartz Zone Massacre for the Nintendo Wii. For those of you who don't remember, the story centers around the Rogue Trooper, whose squad mates are massacred by a traitorous general but live on through biochips installed in his equipment, a concept which inspired one of my favorite Ctrl+Alt+Del comics. The Wii release of the game will feature a new layer of polish, with the Wii controls supposedly making for more accurate and creative kill shots. If it stays true to form, it'll be the best damn game featuring a talking backpack since Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Mermaids.

The original was supposed to be quite good. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially with the new controls.

lol, you're welcome. I'd never heard of the game before so needed to look into it anyways!

If it was $30 on the Xbox it may very well be a budget title.

I like the sound of the storyline, I hope its a decent port. Hopefully they'll give it a RE4:wii edition style update.

Wasn't Rogue Trooper pretty mediocre?

I remember seeing some videos of the PC version and it looked pretty bland and boring.

The GT review made it seem like a pretty fun title. Plenty of Wii potential too.

That artwork just screams that the game's on the PC :P

Never heard of it, so it might do better on the Wii than it did previously.

Anyone else buy this? Got it yesterday (along with GTA:CW, Madworld & HotD:Overkill). At 35€ this is definitely a bargain.

Pretty good from what I'm seeing, liking the feel, look and sound of it.

4 player split-screen multiplayer too!

This is a little sad, I haven't seen any hype for this game and I only knew it had been released as my mate saw it in Gamestation. It might just be an XBOX port but I'm pretty I'm pretty sure it's more playable than the huge amount of shovelware that comes our way.

I've been looking at picking it up for work but haven't seen any reviews or anything to help make the decision. I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks when I'm finished with the few games I have to complete and when exams are out of the way.

This totally isn't even out here, or else I'd probably get it.

This is a great wii game I even played through it twice! Not many 3rd person titles out there of this quality using a great gears or war cover style mechanic. good game play just a shame there is no online or any real change from the original xbox version but I 100% recommend anyone to pick this game up you will enjoy it.

My copy arrived a couple of days ago, i've only played through first 2 levels. Looks promising & at least it aint on - rails.

Started this on Tuesday, and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty decent game. Always been curious to play this after spotting it in the 'new releases' section on Play.com last year, and after youtubing some footage afterwards I made a mental note to pick it up someday when reduced in price.

As stallion mentions above it's a Gears of War style 3rd person shooter, where you control one of the ugliest video game characters ever who's a bit like a character from 'Avatar' through several diffrent enviroments which involve plenty of action, but there's the odd 'stealth' and 'on rails' section. The controls work well and as you'd expect. Sniping enemies with the Wii remote is very satisfying, but the controls for using the grenades are a real pain. A slight flick or twist of the Nunchunk while your busy shooting or running will make you throw your grenade(s) somewhere, which more often that not, means that your wasting your stock or you loose valuable health, and then when you actually want to use one it rarely lets you go into grenade mode. Agh! :shakehead Otherwise it's a lot of fun to play, and your allies, who are microchips attatched to your helmet and gun, provide some entertaining comments. Finished it today, after a good 10/11 hours play according to my Wii diary and I may play it again on 'Massacre' difficulty someday. A worthy purchase if your looking for a decent shooter or 3rd person action/adventurer for your Wii.

Started this on Tuesday, and I'm pleased to say it's a pretty decent game. Always been curious to play this after spotting it in the 'new releases' section on Play.com last year, and after youtubing some footage afterwards I made a mental note to pick it up someday when reduced in price.

As stallion mentions above it's a Gears of War style 3rd person shooter, where you control one of the ugliest video game characters ever who's a bit like a character from 'Avatar' through several diffrent enviroments which involve plenty of action, but there's the odd 'stealth' and 'on rails' section. The controls work well and as you'd expect. Sniping enemies with the Wii remote is very satisfying, but the controls for using the grenades are a real pain. A slight flick or twist of the Nunchunk while your busy shooting or running will make you throw your grenade(s) somewhere, which more often that not, means that your wasting your stock or you loose valuable health, and then when you actually want to use one it rarely lets you go into grenade mode. Agh! :shakehead Otherwise it's a lot of fun to play, and your allies, who are microchips attatched to your helmet and gun, provide some entertaining comments. Finished it today, after a good 10/11 hours play according to my Wii diary and I may play it again on 'Massacre' difficulty someday. A worthy purchase if your looking for a decent shooter or 3rd person action/adventurer for your Wii.

I completed this a couple of weeks ago too. Always was a fan of the comics so I loved the game no matter how typical some of the sections may have been. I agree with you about the whole grenade system. I usually ended killing myself because of it...

There's not a whole lot to say about this game really. It's pretty standard in every aspect. I knew that when I bought it so I wasn't majorly disappointed, as I said I was a fan of the comics so that's pretty much the reason that I got round to buying this, but I just think it's a shame they didn't do much else with the story.

It's sort of the same deal with the Judge Dredd game Rebellion did. A whole world to draw inspiration from and yet put so little of that into the finished game.

As far as this being a port they should have added something too. I wouldn't have said no to Wi-Fi battles.