N-Europe

Disaster

Daniel

I have been in Whitby for the weekend with 15 mates for my 21st, on the Friday night one person got arrested for being in control of a vehicle whilst under the influence and spent the night in a cell. And believe it or not that was the least worrying part of the holiday...

Luckily he had no intention of actually driving and was able to prove so, he was just cooling off after being in an argument with a mate which we all witnessed and got no fine or points.

Same guy had to pay £135 to replace a sofa he jumped on and consequently damaged beyond repair. It was fair that he was charged that and he admitted to it but then the owner of these flats called him an arsehole in public in front of passers by in the street, the shop owner he was originally talking to and other members of the staff and cleaners.

The owners rudeness did not stop there, he has rung me back today asking for £625! £200 for an oven door we apparently put through, but no one can remember that happening... and when i went round with this guy checking everything was ok before we left neither of us noticed that it had been damaged, it was the cleaner who reported it and i personally think she put a hoover through it and is trying to blame us. Smashing in an oven is not something to not remember happening...

£400 for a new carpet because he says he found a cigarette burn in it. I'm not going to lie, we smoked indoors when we shouldnt of but not in that apartment, we had three of them booked and only one was smoked inside of. and then £25 for a new fire extinguisher which my mates have informed me was practically empty when they found it! and they are experts on the use of fire extinguishers!

Then on the phone one of the staff members gives me a lecture on my choice of friends as if she was my mother then hangs up on me!

I just want to check that im not over reacting here but does this not seem a bit odd to you guys... if anyone here knows anything about law can you please reply with some kind of advice or let me know my position and rights? it would be very much appreciated.

Well I wasn't there but if you did do it then you should do the honest thing and own up.

However you are admitting to some and denying others. If you are sure you didn't break the oven door then fight it. If you offer to pay for the others the owner might let it go as it won't be worth fighting for on it's own.

As for the fag burn, if you were smoking then it's likely that one of you did drop a fag. You could fight it or you could do the honest thing and pay for it.

EDIT: Just re-read and you say you didn't smoke in that room. If you are sure (remember it could have been one of your other mates without you knowing) then fight it.

From the sounds of it you were pissing about with the fire extinguisher. £25 isn't a lot so just pay for it.

Pay the £25 and the £135 but fight the other 2 if you are certain. But make sure none of your mates did any of it first. You don't want to deny it only to find out one of you did do it afterwards.

Sounds like your own fault to me, you guys caused a ton of trouble from the sounds of it.

Being an idiot doesn't justify being charged for thing you didn't damage.

I agree with Moogleviper: get the mate responsible to pay for the sofa, and pay the £25 for the fire extinguisher. As for the other two, if you are certain it wasn't you, argue it.

Agreed. Pay what you know you damaged, and make sure your mates are being honest about the other things. The fire-extinguisher you ought to fight against also. If you'd used it then there would be evidence of it, surely - and I would imagine if it was sprayed on anything then he'd be charging you for that, too. As for the cigarette burn - which room was it in? Does he have any proof that it was you guys? It may have been there before you

At the moment nothing is legalised, and I would recommend holding back any payment until you see proof that they're asking for fair sums of money.

Worst comes to worst, £625 between 16 people isn't a huge sum of money- plus if you have decent-enough mates to admit to doing specific damage then they can pay the bulk of it.

How did you contract the rooms? All under one name, or between certain people? Because i'm sure it would be the name on the contract that would be obliged to pay for any damages.

Being an idiot doesn't justify being charged for thing you didn't damage.

I agree with Moogleviper: get the mate responsible to pay for the sofa, and pay the £25 for the fire extinguisher. As for the other two, if you are certain it wasn't you, argue it.

Oh yeah i know but if there was a bunch of people who were have had a drink it wouldn't surprise me if someone did it and haven't said anything.

To be fair sounds like you and your mates were pretty reckless and showed a lack of respect to the place you were staying in. Which is some way annoys me. I often go on holiday with my friends (not a group as large as yours) and we've experienced no problems what so ever, but groups who just go and tear up places fuck over everyone else. Especially once you get places going "no groups of under 22s" or "no all male groups".

To be fair sounds like you and your mates were pretty reckless and showed a lack of respect to the place you were staying in. Which is some way annoys me. I often go on holiday with my friends (not a group as large as yours) and we've experienced no problems what so ever, but groups who just go and tear up places fuck over everyone else. Especially once you get places going "no groups of under 22s" or "no all male groups".

I agree completely. If you've done the damage or are unsure then be a man and pay for it.

If you are absolute certain (which is unlikely with a group of drunken 21 year old lads.) that you haven't broke any of them then fight it. But as you said you were smoking in the house which you shouldn't have been doing in the first place. So pay it all but the oven. If he is trying to fleece you then he will probably be happy to settle up and not go to court and risk losing it all just for one oven door.

Hopefully you'll learn (maybe not you but your mates) to respect other people's things in the future.

the sofa was paid for immediately, the guy who did it owned up and paid it no hassels, spoke to my mum earlier and she says whether you did it or not you arnt obliged to pay for anything that the owner and his two receptionists didnt see when all four of us went round the rooms inspecting before we left. she thinks he saw how easily we paid for the sofa and thinks he can get money out of us.

the fire extinguisher i will pay for or get the person who did do it to pay for it, as that is way out of line, thats not damage thats risking peoples lives.

all rooms were in my name.

i know a women over the road who is a solicitor who im going to speak to tomorrow for advice so hopefully ill know where i stand, but it has annoyed me that a few people in my group spoilt it for the rest :( but the fact that one or two did do some damage does in no way mean i have to pay for stuff that we didnt damage or do. And the smoking thing i know we shouldnt have done but i cant change the past and as far as i know everyone who did smoke indoors did it out of a window. the majority went outside anyway.

this whole thing has put a dampener on what was an amazing weekend for me :( and Hem i know its not a disaster in that sense of the word but it has completely ruined my 21st which i had been looking forwards to immensely :(

On another note. I'm only 21 miles away from Whitby, so *high five*.

Sounds like it was your own fault tbh. Behave! :p

If you are certain you didn't break some things, then fight it. And it sucks about your 21st, but when you get that drunk things are bound to go wrong.

Spoken to the guy on the phone, informed him that me and my mates did not do the damage he is saying we have and that ive sought legal advice and he is not in a position to ask us for damages that were noticed after the inspection was carried out, thus terminating our contract. especially since we didnt cause the damage! all he could say was "see you in court" and hung up.

I get the feeling he is trying to call my bluff but im going to see my solicitor tonight to get her opinion.

Spoken to the guy on the phone, informed him that me and my mates did not do the damage he is saying we have and that ive sought legal advice and he is not in a position to ask us for damages that were noticed after the inspection was carried out, thus terminating our contract. especially since we didnt cause the damage! all he could say was "see you in court" and hung up.

Hmm, if he didn't notice them during the inspection, then it's his fault.