NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

Why do we love Nintendo?

Now, is that what I said true? Of course not. Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Metroid Prime 3, NMH, Fire Emblem, Super Paper Mario, Zack & Wiki, and other Wii gems aren't party games at all.

Other than that, I mostly agree.

What is this referring to? Euro releases? I explained in my post that Nintendo weren't the first ones to do it and they're not going to be the last.

It's just very noticeable right now because of the joke that is the SSBB release. If it had a release date, I'm sure less people here would be complaining about that.

If it's the online, then you're right, really. At least online is not such a big deal for me, otherwise...

I was referring to both but Nintendo's competitors seem to be delivering when it comes to releases with a short period between releases. If there is a long wait, europe often sees improvementsm GT5 prologue for example. Even MGS4 is seeing a worldwide release, which is arguably the PS3's biggest draw. Heck its the sole reason im getting a PS3. Arguably nintendo's biggest release, at least this year, has had a very staggered lauch and we have yet to see it with a poor excuse to satiate us.

They should go the way of Pikmin - and i thought they were going to. But then they just... stopped.

Because they let me easily convert me my star points to wii points... oh, wait!

When will they let me convert my stars?

They should go the way of Pikmin - and i thought they were going to. But then they just... stopped.

There are strong rumours of Pikmin 3. Plus, I'd rather have them take their time and think of new game aspects instead of rushing the threequel.

Arguably nintendo's biggest release, at least this year, has had a very staggered lauch and we have yet to see it with a poor excuse to satiate us.

I thought Mario Galaxy had a pretty short wait between the regions.

...Oh, you meant the other "Best Game Ever" released by Nintendo...Yeah, that sucks.

I love Nintendo, maybe not as much as during the GC/N64 times but they're still my favorite developers, hands down. They make fantastic games that just have some magic to them most developer's can't seem to emulate.

I do agree that they are overusing their key franchises though, as much as I loved TP and Prime 3 they are all just more of the same really and we need more original IPs! Hopefully with more 3rd-parties joining the bandwagon we can get more variation of genres, perhaps relying less and less on Nintendo for quality games on the system in the progress.

Really I see E3 as what we can expect in the coming future with the Wii, hopefully they come out with a bang and surprise us all with great, original games though I do expect us to all get bitterly disappointed like every year.....

then again that seems to be what being a Nintendo fan is all about!

Great topic discussion btw ;)

I was referring to both but Nintendo's competitors seem to be delivering when it comes to releases with a short period between releases. If there is a long wait, europe often sees improvementsm GT5 prologue for example. Even MGS4 is seeing a worldwide release, which is arguably the PS3's biggest draw. Heck its the sole reason im getting a PS3. Arguably nintendo's biggest release, at least this year, has had a very staggered lauch and we have yet to see it with a poor excuse to satiate us.

Remind me of a console that in less than a year and a half had 4 major flagship titles out (3 in europe). Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 3 ,Galaxy and Brawl. These are major titles that we would usually have to wait much more than we did in the old days.

I'll feel free to add some games of my liking that came out in this time-window: Excite Truck, Trauma Center, Zack & Wiki, Eledees, Dewey, Sonic, Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, RE4, Mario Strikers, NiGHTS, DBZ Tenkaichi 3, Naruto, MoH:H2, RE:UC,Mario Kart (I'm assuming I'll like it :P )...

Seems like a great list, in fact, I can't remember any console with so many good games in such a short time. This, of course, comes down to taste, but it seems to me that Wii had a much richer release schedule so far than any other console. If you only buy it for Mario, Zelda and Metroid, then there's not much that can be done there.

I say this by looking at the number of games I have, the ones I want that are out and the fact that more often that not, I just bought a Wii game and another one that I wanna buy pops out threatening to rape my wallet. Rose-tinted nostalgia glasses don't help a lot in these discussions and keep one thing in mind, the fact that other consoles get big releases while Nintendo doesn't, works the other way around too. That's why the perspective of someone who only owns one console tends to be a little different, because while you're waiting for Wii Game X, 360 Game Y and PS3 Game Z come out and you're left thinking "WTF, PS3 and 360 are getting these great games and Wii Game X isn't here yet!".

Let's not forget the DS here, with amazing games coming out basically every month, it's a beast of a console. Nintendo was always slow delivering their games, you can't expect their "magic" and a "AAA" (boy I hate this term) game from them every other month, but they've been working much faster and considering that Prime 3 is my fave Prime, Galaxy my fave Mario and Zelda my fave game, I can't complain.

Online was a less then stellar job indeed, but it's hardly right to say they aren't learning from their mistakes when they're basically taking a whole different approach to the market, still making their key games, have much closer ties to 3rd parties, more games, more support and more sales. I'd say they learned a lot.

What they need to do now is make some kind of tools to help those lazy-ass 3rd parties use the wiimote and the graphics hardware more effectively and do something so they stop porting PS2 games. What exactly, I don't know.

Also, don't encourage things like GT5 prologue. Ugh.

(this post took a little more time writing lol)

Before ranting and epic response, here's my simple response.

I love Nintendo because they have produced the greatest consoles and handhelds EVERY SINGLE GENERATION.

I love Nintendo because they have EASILY the greatest franchises.

I love Nintendo because they are innovators and force the competition to copy.

I love Nintendo because they make the best games that have a magic no one can even compete with.

I love Nintendo because they made me love gaming again (with the DS and Wii).

I love Nintendo because my family and non gaming friends love playing games now.

I love Nintendo because they are forcing 3rd parties to create much more interesting products.

I have all three consoles, I have literally only just bought a PS3 and all I play is the Wii! I love Nintendo because they offer me the closest thing to perfection in the gaming world!

Remind me of a console that in less than a year and a half had 4 major flagship titles out (3 in europe). Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 3 ,Galaxy and Brawl. These are major titles that we would usually have to wait much more than we did in the old days.

I'll feel free to add some games of my liking that came out in this time-window: Excite Truck, Trauma Center, Zack & Wiki, Eledees, Dewey, Sonic, Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, RE4, Mario Strikers, NiGHTS, DBZ Tenkaichi 3, Naruto, MoH:H2, RE:UC,Mario Kart (I'm assuming I'll like it :P )...

Seems like a great list, in fact, I can't remember any console with so many good games in such a short time. This, of course, comes down to taste, but it seems to me that Wii had a much richer release schedule so far than any other console. If you only buy it for Mario, Zelda and Metroid, then there's not much that can be done there.

I say this by looking at the number of games I have, the ones I want that are out and the fact that more often that not, I just bought a Wii game and another one that I wanna buy pops out threatening to rape my wallet. Rose-tinted nostalgia glasses don't help a lot in these discussions and keep one thing in mind, the fact that other consoles get big releases while Nintendo doesn't, works the other way around too. That's why the perspective of someone who only owns one console tends to be a little different, because while you're waiting for Wii Game X, 360 Game Y and PS3 Game Z come out and you're left thinking "WTF, PS3 and 360 are getting these great games and Wii Game X isn't here yet!".

Let's not forget the DS here, with amazing games coming out basically every month, it's a beast of a console. Nintendo was always slow delivering their games, you can't expect their "magic" and a "AAA" (boy I hate this term) game from them every other month, but they've been working much faster and considering that Prime 3 is my fave Prime, Galaxy my fave Mario and Zelda my fave game, I can't complain.

Online was a less then stellar job indeed, but it's hardly right to say they aren't learning from their mistakes when they're basically taking a whole different approach to the market, still making their key games, have much closer ties to 3rd parties, more games, more support and more sales. I'd say they learned a lot.

What they need to do now is make some kind of tools to help those lazy-ass 3rd parties use the wiimote and the graphics hardware more effectively and do something so they stop porting PS2 games. What exactly, I don't know.

Also, don't encourage things like GT5 prologue. Ugh.

(this post took a little more time writing lol)

LOL yeah that had to take time to write.

Problem for me in this respect is that usually, these games come out over a nintendo console's lifespan, not right at the start. It's why we usually see only one iteration of said IP per console. The fact that these have come out so fast leaves me a little worried about what's left in the tank.

Tapedeck mentioned this in a thread he created. Maybe nintendo have learned already and are getting the 'expected' stuff out of the way to make room for new IP's that fully take advantage of the Wii Remote. I dunno but I damn well hope that's the case.

And you are so right about the 1 console thing. If i had a ps3, there isn't much i would buy. 360, initially presents an array of generic squad based shooter one after another. But the future brings lots of interesting titles that make me feel like im missing out. But you summed it up correctly so i will stop there regarding this.

There is too much for me on the DS, most of which take long hrs to complete! They are a little on the costly side but meh, trading in my stuff seems to help.

I GUESS we dont have it so bad compared to the past.

Some of you guys reminded why I liked Nintendo in the first place, at a time where my "faith" is in question. Thank you.

Besides the bad points that are, sadly, real, there's a lot of virtues that far outweight their mistakes.

It's just that watching thinks from a negative point of view is considered somewhat cool it seems.

Some of you guys reminded why I liked Nintendo in the first place, at a time where my "faith" is in question. Thank you.

Besides the bad points that are, sadly, real, there's a lot of virtues that far outweight their mistakes.

It's just that watching thinks from a negative point of view is considered somewhat cool it seems.

Nah its just the easy thing to do, especially if you have a pessimistic view on life.

If this thread was made a couple of months back, I would agree that Nintendo is boring.

But since i've had a few new wii games including smash bros, i've been using it a lot more.

And I have a PS3 but mainly only use it for videos and cod4.

I used to love Nintendo, but for some reason i can't fall in love with the Wii like i could of with the Cube, N64 or any other Nintendo consoles really.

Hell i even prefer the Gameboy's to the DS.

I don't know if it's with Nintendo changing there image this generation or if it's just me getting older but i hope i fall back in love when there next handheld and main console come around.

The thought of playing Mario Kart in HD with Xbox Live quality online just makes me wet.

How would you getting 'older' mean you don't like them as much. Are Nintendo kiddy?

How would you getting 'older' mean you don't like them as much. Are Nintendo kiddy?

I don't think so. I just think as people get older their tastes in certain games changes.

TBH as much as i neglect my Wii atm (wow addict plus waiting for tv in my room) u really cant beat the "feel" of nintendo games, they just give off a much more posative energy when playing them

I got into Nintendo since the N64 days (drawn in by Banjo Kazooie), I was originall a Sega fan boy but since getting over fanboyish with the gamecube, I fell out of love with games during 2004/2005 playing games very little and in 2006, things picked up again and here I am, not a nintendo fan, but a fan of games =]

I don't think so. I just think as people get older their tastes in certain games changes.

Both answers are right, yes i do think there kiddy to a certain point. But yeah as you get older your tastes change as well.

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with that, interests change, it's only natural.

Did you own an N64? :shakehead

He's 13, so even if he did, I doubt he remembers the prices lol

Because Nintendo has brought us something new every generation.

Because Nintendo (and their second parties) creates greats the best games on the market. Some recent examples being:

Metroid Prime 3

Mario Galaxy

Zelda PH

Super Smash Bros Brawl

The reason I first started liking Nintendo was because I liked their games way better than what everyone else was offering.

TBH as much as i neglect my Wii atm (wow addict plus waiting for tv in my room) u really cant beat the "feel" of nintendo games, they just give off a much more posative energy when playing them

You really should import Brawl.

I dont necessarily love Nintendo the way i used to, but ill always be interested in the cold, illogical, and occasionally brilliant decisions they make.

I COULD love them again if they start posing the question 'How can we make this a AAA game'

instead of 'how can we make this game appeal to every member of your family as cheaply as possible'

LOL. Exactly what my soul was muttering.

Sign in to follow this