N-Europe

Question Time

Kirkatronics

Right, so we can easily fomulate a theory:

The root language had words for red and dead that rhymed, probably by chance. They likely followed the pattern:

r [vowel] d

d [vowel] d

Now, as this language spead out into English, Danish, and German, vowel shifts occured, leading to three variants:

English: red, dead

Danish: rød, død

German: rod, dod

There were also changes to consonants - the lovely Danish ds you mention arose, and similarly in German the ds became unvoiced, and so we get ts. This leads to the words we have today:

English: red, dead

Danish: rød, død

German: rot, tot

About the vowel/consonant thing: It's the "phonetic first letter" of the next word that matters. The rule originated because it's someway unpleasant to end a word with a vowel and start the next word with a vowel. They do the same in Old Greek, except they just cut off the vowel at the end of the word.

EDIT: By the way, I proved my English teacher wrong on that particular subject once. Felt good. :p

Many English people will put an r sound in between two words with a vowel at each side. e.g. "vanilla ice cream" will become "vanilla rice cream"

You might wanna check with other forumites. My German teacher told me about it. Until then I'd been doing it without realising. I bet most people don't realise.

You're probably right. It's one of those things that just occur when speaking.

By the way, Supergrunch, you seem to know a lot about languages. You studied language or something?

You're probably right. It's one of those things that just occur when speaking.

By the way, Supergrunch, you seem to know a lot about languages. You studied language or something?

Well my accent is really slang and my spoken vocabulary doesn't contain many letters. I don't say the word "the", I drop off a lot of letters of words like "h" and "t".

Why is it frowned upon to fart and burp?

Farting is frowned upon because it smells, and it evokes unwanted imagery of another person's rectum. I think this one was obvious.

About burping, I don't frown upon it, and I have plenty of friends that accept it as well. Plus, there are cultures that take burps as a compliment.

Maybe some people frown upon burping because...perhaps...it reminds them of farting? :wtf: Or puking? :wtf: Or something else?

Note the rules for usage of "a" and "an" vary depending on dialect - if you want to quote something as "correct", then I'd go with the above rules. In the past, people used to use "an" before all words beginning with an h - look at Capcom using antiquated grammar in Golden Sun - "You got an herb!". Also look at the first sentence of Northanger Abbey - "an heroine".

Did Capcom have something to do with the text in Golden Sun?

How would i make one? Ive only made water finding sticks.

Poster tube, rice, stick some cardboard/string/random stuff on the inside. Seal one end of tube, put rice in, seal other end. It will sound shit but if you experiement and do it properly you might be able to make it sound good. IMO a good home made one sounds better than a factory made as they will probably use rice as opposed to ball bearings with just sound artificial. And it will be more irregular and therefore make it a little more realistic.