N-Europe

Zelda Online- Your ideas

darkjak

After searching through 16 pages of searchresults, I finally gave up and decided to make a thread regarding this very interresting subject.

There have been rumours about this game circling since the release of the Wii. What would an online Zelda game look like if you could decide?

Here's my ideas:

Story:

After Link took the Master Sword, he was put to sleep for seven years. Soon after that Ganondorf started a war against Hyrule.

Gameplay:

You can choose among the races available in Zelda, and thereafter different classes. Depending on what race you choose, you allign yourselft with either the Hyllians or Gerudos, giving you different missions.

Races:

"Good"

Hylians

Gorons

Zoras

"Evil"

Stalfos

Moblins

Gerudos

Combat:

The combat works just like in the other 3D Zeldas, only there's an experience system. Higher levels give you more health and allows you to use better gear. This means that a very skilled level 1 player can theoretically kick a crap level 100 player's ass.

The game takes place in Hyrule, and a nearby kingdom. The appearance of Hyrule is vaguelly similar to that in Zelda:OOT, with a castletown with a castle, a town square and a temple of time, allthough the castle is central to the city, like in TP. In the north you'll find Hyrule port. You've got Kakariko, Zora's river/Domain and death mountain to the east, kokiri forest to the south and the gerudo domain to the west. hyrule.gif

There will be several new towns, and the entire game area will be larger.

Push gameplay:

The massive Hyrule field, and some villages throughout Hyrule will be battlefields where players from both sides will be able to fight each other. Depending on how the both sides push forward different areas will belong to the respective sides for different ammounts of time. Taking over an area is done by killing everyone of the opposite fraction that's there.

Initially i had just one word in my mind: NO. Then I read the first post and it didn't sound like such a bad idea, especially when i remember how fun it was to play as a goron in legend of zelda: majora's mask. Combat system would be dull without additional skills becoming available as players level up, one of those skills could be the ones link had in majora's mask. Imagine high speed travel as a goron. No need for mounts or such and no dull traversal that can be found in the mmos.

Zoras would be kings of the sea, but high speed maybe available from level 1.

Human types like hylians and gerudos could get horses allowing them to use weapons when mounted and equip the steeds with armour.

The Stalfos could have limited warp capabilites were the given ground a specific compatible type and they had enough of a certain resourse (remember how the skeletons would pop out of the ground at night time, thats how this is related).

Sounds like a good idea to me but I highly doubt Nintendo would take such a gamble with one of their most respected IPs. Plus their approach to the internet displays viewpoint on its importance to their success.

Nothing more than a dream, but a nice one.

Similarly, I was gonna reply with my ideas being don't do it, but the first post does sound rather nice. It could work quite well too, when I think of all the masks and sidequests present in MM, sidequests in OoT, being different races in MM etc. It could work rather well actually! It's very unlikely of course, but you've half sold me on the idea darkjak! As long as it didn't really affect the direction the series is heading in otherwise, I'd be well up for it!

I say no to having a MMORPG based set in the Zelda Universe.

A better map for you to help with your ideas which is the Zelda I and Zelda II overworld map.

z0111125b15d2dq6.th.jpg

There is alot of races in the zelda series :p

• Dekus
  • Anoukis
  • Fairies
  • Fishmans
  • The Gorons
  • The Gerudos
  • Ho Hos
  • Humans
  • Hylias
  • Sheikahs
  • Moblins
  • Miniblins
  • Bokoblins
  • Bulblins
  • Ooccas
  • Kokiri/Koroks
  • Merfolks
  • The Minishs
  • Ritos
  • Skull Kids
  • Subrosians and Salonas
  • The Tokays
  • Twilis
  • Yetis
  • Yooks
  • Zoras
  • Zolas
  • Zunas

I also say no to a Zelda MMO with PvP based gameplay. Not really the spirit of the franchise.

But an adventure cooperative Zelda similar in a way to the Four swords games would be fine. It would just need a headphone...:heh:

I thought of controling a group of several people, each one from a different race (hylian, goron, zora, kokiri, mage hylian, rito, ... with their own abilities, powers and weapons) which could be Link and the six sages. Players must cooperate to progress through dungeons while using complementary abilities (goron can carry heavy boulders to open a small tunnel for the kokiri,...), gaining new abilities and fight a boss using cooperative mechanics. Players can commnicate via headphone but also draw on their dungeon map and send it to others players to explain what to do.

At some point, paths could split and each players would have to fight some enemies alone on a room or pass through a specific trap room. If one player finsh his room before the others, he could watch another player finishing and give him advice.

In the open world, player can roam freely and separately to buy stuff for the character they control in a huge central town, accomplish character specific side-quests,... but can also do coop based sidequests or open way to next dungeon. Other players can be seen with icons on the world map. At the dungeon entry, a magic door can only open when the needed characters for the dungeon are there (power of the sages, blah blah blah,...).

Storyline-wise, the first characters (Link include. Number of beginning characters= max number of players) could be a group of mercenaries, thieves nomads, or anything else. Players could communicate and switch characters whenever they want with the help of some magic item. If there's not enough players, the item can make appear one or more additional "bots" obeying ordres. Example: A goron player stand on a heavy-weight needing switch, switch to "stay" mode (or a "continue action" mode to make the character constantly activate a mechanism), make another character appear and control it. These could make the game playable wihout online, with only one player.

A vs-mode can also be add where another team of evil characters trying to finish the dungeon before yours or stop it. The races can be the evil equivalent of good races: Dark Link for Link, iron knuckle or moblin for goron (strong but slow), bokoblin or deku scrub for kokiri (small guys), river zora for sea zora, wizzrobe for hylian mage, Vire (gargoyle henchman from Oracle games and enemy in some others) for rito,...

Constructive Hellfire.

It was my goal from the very beggining.

That's more of an opinion than an idea :blank:

Due to simple curiosity, why no?

Simply because I don't want them to go that way with the franchise. I don't doubt it could turn out cool, but what makes Zelda Zelda is being Link and taking on the world yourself, I don't think an online Zelda would be a good idea. With that said, I doubt they'll make one anyway, they might make something like FSA or something and that would be cool, just as long as they don't go into the MMOterritory

Simply because I don't want them to go that way with the franchise. I don't doubt it could turn out cool, but what makes Zelda Zelda is being Link and taking on the world yourself, I don't think an online Zelda would be a good idea. With that said, I doubt they'll make one anyway, they might make something like FSA or something and that would be cool, just as long as they don't go into the MMOterritory

Hell no would I want them to take the franchise in this direction. But having it as a spin off is an option no? Even though it will never happen.

Zelda is the no.1 franchise to turn into an MMO. We've got the vast Zelda universe wit lots of humanoid races that would be interresting to play as, we've got the fantastic combat system, we've got the non-linear world and we've got a story. We've got lots of interresting items, enemies, places and gameplay styles that could be implemented.

Animal crossing on the other hand has a gigantic HOW above it. Will the game have an infinitelly expandable world which grows for every new player, so that the game will have to download every players house you have to walk by? What exactly will be the goal of it? In the game you were supposed to befriend your virtual neighbours, and unlock stuff for your house.

At best AC could become a ripoff of Second Life.

Zelda is the no.1 franchise to turn into an MMO.

:blank:

It is Pokeman and Animel Crossing DarkJak.

The Zelda series is about a young boy that travels a unknown world to save the kingdom from evil and not about going about making wars in the world with other races.

:blank:

It is Pokeman and Animel Crossing DarkJak.

The Zelda series is about a young boy that travels a unknown world to save the kingdom from evil and not about going about making wars in the world with other races.

Unfortunatelly, in OOT there WAS a war. That means it could work. Pokémon would probbably not work. And as I previously said about AC.

I mean, turning Zelda into an MMO would be way more expected than doing the same with Warcraft. WC is a STRATEGY game. It's got a totally bland world, and doesent have a combat system worht mentioning. Yet it's the best selling MMO ever.

Anyways, this thread isn't about yes or no, it's about HOW. Meaning that nej-sayers can go to another thread. I wanna see YOUR ideas!

I'm all for a Zelda MMO. Maybe as a spinoff series (like Warioware, or Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland).

Why? As a fictional world, it has one of the biggest numbers of original, yet lovable races. Not to mention the big number of locations. I could totally see the Windfish's Island being a huge side-quest of sorts.

Of course, considering Nintendo's policy with online, we won't see it for a while.

Pokémon would probbably not work.

You kidding? Pokémon would be awesome as a MMO. It's better fit for that than any other franchise.

well, i dont liek the idea of a zelda MMO, but if they made it more like fantasy star online i could stomach it. i think that actualy using a bow, aiming and that, would be better then clicking to use the bow.

I love rpgs, but i dont think that they work with more then one person. take elements like leveling up, equptable items, large partys etc.

i mean, a zelda dungion and boss could easily work as a quest, and clever boss fights would be possible. for example, use a goron to slow down a gohma like creature so that an archer can hit its eye with an arrow. a swordsman runs in and hacks at the limbs to throw its ballence off then the goron knocks it into water were a zorra rains in blows till it can escape.

This could work quite well, perhaps though there would be safe zones where nobody could fight each-other, for instance some parts of towns and if you're in you're races town you aren't likely to get killed because enemies wont go their unless there's a big invasion. It would also be set up so really high leveled players need to be in a certain area to fight really low leveled characters just so people don't farm the weaker players. In this area there would be a constant war going on and their should be NPC soldiers fighting a battle to set the mood.

There would also be way more lands than just 2, perhaps hyrule, termina, a wilderness area, and 2 or 3 other countries, because MMO games usually work better with larger worlds to explore.

There would also be way more lands than just 2, perhaps hyrule, termina, a wilderness area, and 2 or 3 other countries, because MMO games usually work better with larger worlds to explore.

Hyrule, termina, Holodrum, Windfish's Island, and whatever I'm forgetting. Maybe an Ocean area as a nod to WW and PH?

well, i dont liek the idea of a zelda MMO, but if they made it more like fantasy star online i could stomach it. i think that actualy using a bow, aiming and that, would be better then clicking to use the bow.

I love rpgs, but i dont think that they work with more then one person. take elements like leveling up, equptable items, large partys etc.

i mean, a zelda dungion and boss could easily work as a quest, and clever boss fights would be possible. for example, use a goron to slow down a gohma like creature so that an archer can hit its eye with an arrow. a swordsman runs in and hacks at the limbs to throw its ballence off then the goron knocks it into water were a zorra rains in blows till it can escape.

Like I've previously said, I don't want a classic MMO combat system. I want the 3D Zelda combat system...

Guest Stefkov

If this was possible I'd want Tingle's race, whatever the hell he is, playable.

You can choose a variety of clothing colours and facial features. And other things.