NEurope
MoogleViper

Vicar attacked by Muslims

And? I'm not celebrating some guy that may or may not have existed in ome from years ago. I'm just looking forward to a bit of chocolate. What's wrong with that?

Its irrelevant whether you're an aethiest or a Christian, believe me when I say- he existed.

Fair enough, good on ya mate.

By the way, kudos for that being a much better answer than most of the bullshit I've heard at my school, it's a genuine answer and a genuine reason.

Cheers mate. What infuriates me is these so-called Christians who believe in God, and expect everyone else to due to them not knowing anything but christianity. To be a Christian, open-mindedness is an essentail requirement.

And Easter was originally Pagan, true. I thought we stole it from somewhere else, but I couldn't quite remember where.

Slagging? Woah, hold on. Get your facts straight. I didn't slag it once in that post, so don't twist my words. I said "some guy that may or may not have existed", which is perfectly true.

Also, Fish is right, google it.

Maybe not you in particular, but people have been.

And I can't be bothered arguing that point. I don't need to argue for my religion. I can see your way of thinking and I accept that. What I don't like is being by most people in this thread that I'm wrong.

Its irrelevant whether you're an aethiest or a Christian, believe me when I say- he existed.

I don't deny the possiblitiy that the guy existed, with all the things written he most likely did. I'm denying the fact he did all the stuff thats in the Bible, to me it's just like a load of stories you read to a child whilst at bedtime. I see no truth in it whatsoever, but if someone wants to give me proof that these things happened then I'll start to take religion seriously.

I've just never understood why people choose to believe some guy rose from the dead, performed miracles etc etc. Especially when the bible has stuff like Noah in which is obviously complete rubbish. Again. I'm not denying he existed, I just believe things written down have been grossly exaggerated.

Charlie, I'm not by any means saying you're wrong. We all believe different things, if we didn't the world would be boring.

And I can't be bothered arguing that point. I don't need to argue for my religion. I can see your way of thinking and I accept that. What I don't like is being by most people in this thread that I'm wrong.

Then why do many christians (and members of other religions) tell me that I'm wrong?

I don't deny the possiblitiy that the guy existed, with all the things written he most likely did. I'm denying the fact he did all the stuff thats in the Bible, to me it's just like a load of stories you read to a child whilst at bedtime. I see no truth in it whatsoever, but if someone wants to give me proof that these things happened then I'll start to take religion seriously.

I'd say that Jesus most certainly existed. Whether you believe Him to be the son of God, a raving lunatic or a wise-man is purely your choice.

I'd say that Jesus most certainly existed. Whether you believe Him to be the son of God, a raving lunatic or a wise-man is purely your choice.

Neither. He was the son of a psycho. "virgin" Mary was either crazy or a great liar and was able to cover up her affair.

I think he probably did exist but not certainly, I mean other than the bible once again is there any proof?

I think he probably did exist but not certainly, I mean other than the bible once again is there any proof?

Yes, plenty.

Yes, plenty.

Source? I've heard many people say that there is proof he existed but nobody has ever shown me any.

How many of you atheists will be getting Easter Eggs on Sunday? I would think rather a lot...

And what exactly do chocolate eggs have to do with Jesus? It's primarily about the coming of spring, new life and fertility (hence the name easter, from the fertility goddess Eostrous) Of course a festival with those themes is a good place to tack on the part of the Jesus story where he comes back as a zombie, what with it being about rebirth, new life etc.

I celebrated christmas too, but I can't remember Jesus being involved at all (then again I don't know any christians). Getting together with family, the legend of Santa, the elves, rudolph, present giving, eating turkey, meeting old friends, having parties and of course a sickening orgy of consumerism. Face it, modern Christmas is a secular festival. Saying you can't celebrate Christmas or Easter without beliving in Jesus is a bit like saying you can't celebrate it if you don't believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Do you do anything for Halloween? Do you actually believe your costume will scare away evil spirits, witches, ghosts and goblins?

God/Jesus does exist.

He came to me last night.

Heh, Im just kidding, he doesn't really exist.

well, most of the christian religious festivals are tapped on to pegan festivals, does that mean that they are taking part in pegan festivals?

its the same with easter and christmas etc. i dont celebrate christmas for jesus, i do it for family, friends and life in genral. personaly, i dont like easter much.

im ready to accept people belive what they want. however, just because you want 72 virgins in heaven dosent give you a right to blow yourself and innocent people up on public transport. its apparently ok as were none belivers. if blindly following some one elses words makes you better then me then so be it.

and for the record, i think we should led extremists blow them selves up, just not around any one else. same goes for any one who uses religion as an excuse for violence.

Me asking was actually to get more of an answer off you :p

For starters, there's the 20-odd gospels that didn't make it to the Bible.

Then, you've got Jesus as an important figure in different religions, like Islam for example.

I may post more later, can't really be bothered right now.

For starters, there's the 20-odd gospels that didn't make it to the Bible.

Then, you've got Jesus as an important figure in different religions, like Islam for example.

I may post more later, can't really be bothered right now.

well, christianity and islam are spin offs. the fraisers to jewish cheers. the angel to the yiddish buffy.

well, christianity and islam are spin offs. the fraisers to jewish cheers. the angel to the yiddish buffy.

I'm sorry, do you ever stop talking crap?

Actually, he's right - all 3 believe in Yahweh.

dosent give you a right to blow yourself

Man I need to become a muslim.

Well he's right. Saying that Jesus appears in Islam isn't exactly evidence of his existence. A few centuries after Jesus supposedly existed some guy went around shouting how he had spoke to God and how Jesus was actually an Islamic prophet. If I went around shouting that god had come to me in a dream and he told me that jesus, mohammed and moses were actually madeupism prophets would that be evidence for their existence?

Man I need to become a muslim.

Well he's right. Saying that Jesus appears in Islam isn't exactly evidence of his existence. A few centuries after Jesus supposedly existed some guy went around shouting how he had spoke to God and how Jesus was actually an Islamic prophet. If I went around shouting that god had come to me in a dream and he told me that jesus, mohammed and moses were actually madeupism prophets would that be evidence for their existence?

I was taking him up on the statement about Christianity and Islam being spin-offs of Judaism, despite being entirely different and bigger religions. Maybe christianity originated from Judaism, but it is not a spin-off.

The Abrahamic religions, ie Islam, Christianisty and Judaism are all cut from the same cloth, have the same origins and all worship the same God (as well as having common figures like Moses and Noah in their religion). I've heard some Christians refer to themselves as "perfected Jews", if that makes them a spin off or not I don't know.

If only religions were more like tv shows and movies and had spin offs and sequels. We might respect others more. (Or less depending on if the original actors/religious icons come back)

seriosuly man i fail to see how you have decided im talking crap.

for a start, both christianity and islam do have roots in the jewish faith. jesus was himself a jew. perhaps using the word spin off was unwise but it certainly wasnt crap.

as for them being entierly diffrent and bigger, fraisre was different to cheers, and arguably bigger. just because its not identical dosent mean there isnt a link.

I don't need to argue for my religion.
The only reason why people say they don't need to argue their religion, is because they can't - not successfully anyway. How can you believe in something you can't (and won't) even argue? How empty is that? How is your truth not arguable, unless it's no truth at all? If religion was truly something plausible or respectable, there would be a basis to argue about. But there is none.

It's really frustrating to see people go "it's my personal thing" or "you won't understand" when they can give no rational explanation. This lack of a rational explanation is fundamental to religion though. It really shows that religion is just one big fallacy in the end.

Your quote is somewhat taken out of context here, Charlie. It sparked my post, however, and I'll just keep it that way - it's no personal attack anyway.

seriosuly man i fail to see how you have decided im talking crap.

for a start, both christianity and islam do have roots in the jewish faith. jesus was himself a jew. perhaps using the word spin off was unwise but it certainly wasnt crap.

as for them being entierly diffrent and bigger, fraisre was different to cheers, and arguably bigger. just because its not identical dosent mean there isnt a link.

Sorry mate, got a bit irate there. Had you used a more suitable word than 'spin-off' I wouldn't have flamed you.