N-Europe

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Caris

Perhaps MGS5 will be Big Boss orientated. Perhaps Raiden or Grey Fox's story? The fact that MGS has such amazing loveable characters means they could totally make other games without Snake as the protagonist and they'd be worth playing.

Personally I'm so relieved he's making more MGS games, it seems he can't run out of good ideas for the stories and the play mechanics just keep getting better and better.

Perhaps MGS5 will be Big Boss orientated. Perhaps Raiden or Grey Fox's story? The fact that MGS has such amazing loveable characters means they could totally make other games without Snake as the protagonist and they'd be worth playing.

Personally I'm so relieved he's making more MGS games, it seems he can't run out of good ideas for the stories and the play mechanics just keep getting better and better.

Oh god yes!!!

A game set in Zanzibar where he meets up with Snake and goes from being a vicious bastard to saving whatsitsface (can someone please remind me who I'm think about here! He kills who evers it is' parents...this is driving me nuts) would be awesome.

OMFG, I can't wait! I loved the uber long cutscenes in MGS2, it like watching a film and then taking part in it and then watching another! F*ck yes!!!

From CVG:

MGS4 has '90 minute' cut-scenes

We know the Metal Gear Solid series is famous for its long cut-scenes, but this tops everything! Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment in Hideo Kojima's seminal stealth series, has cut-scenes (note the plural) that approach the 90 minutes mark.

For those troubled with time keeping, that's the length of a feature film.

The news comes from PSW magazine, who's been and finished MGS4, and then promptly whispered in our ears about the shocking 90-minute cut-scenes. The latest issue hits newsstands today, by the way.

We were expecting long story sequences (MGS2 approached the 45 minute mark in one) but an hour and a half of cinematics was unexpected.

The good news is that you can now skip or pause the scenes. Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?

"MGS4's story is massive. The videogame equivalent of all three Godfather movies on one disc," says the mag.

"As you'd expect, you'll spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes, so if you found previous games' story exposition laborious, then you'd better find yourself a nice cushion and plenty of teabags in readiness for MGS4's.

"They can be skipped, but you'll be missing out on some of the finally crafted examples of FMV footage anywhere in gaming," the article boldly proclaims.

Issue 108 of PSW is on sale now.

I'm glad you can pause though. :heh:

I wonder if that includes the optional flashbacks...probably not.

Guest Jordan

Meh, as long as they are pausable... I can't wait :p

Some of MGS1 and 2's finest moments were its cut scenes.

90 minutes is a bit long, but I'll definately watch and enjoy it from start to finish. The ability to pause cut scenes is so great. The amount of times I was bursting for a wee while a huge cut scene was rolling...

But the cut scenes are going to be FMV? :(

Guest Jordan

It'll be a mix of FMV and in game, about a 20:80 ratio probably. I mean, if you've got an engine like that, why bother with full motion video?

"Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?"

*Raises hand.*

Of course I'm going to watch the entire 90 mins, what's the point in even playing the MGS series if you're not going to follow it properly?!

Yeah, the cut-scenes never bother you because the characters are so damn well portrayed. You just want to watch them and maybe even cream over them from time to time.

That is disgusting... but yes, I completely, 100% admit thats what MGS makes me do. :p

"Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?"

*Raises hand.*

Of course I'm going to watch the entire 90 mins, what's the point in even playing the MGS series if you're not going to follow it properly?!

*Raises hand.*

I think I started to enjoy the cutscenes more than the game in MGS2. Either way if you play the game with the mindset that there are going to be sections where you can just put the controller down and watch than I think it makes the game all the better, at least in the case of MGS4.

I hope there is an option to save during points in the cutscenes but I'm not too bothered if you can't. I always set aside a good 3 or 4 hours for MGS.

Kojima signing at HMV in June

On June 2 Metal Gear mastermind Hideo Kojima will be signing pre-release box sleeves for Metal Gear Solid 4 at HMV on Oxford Street, London.

Joined by the game's artist, Yoji Shinagawa, Kojima will turn up from 12pm midday to scribble on sleeves from inside the game's disc cover - more than a week before the game goes on shelves. Whoever organised the appearance should look at his or her diary closer.

The catch? There'll only be 300 sleeves given out - from 9am that day - and to get one you'll have to place a £5 pre-order on the game (and scrape your tired face off your bed pillow REALLY early, too).

We guess you'll have a fair bit of queuing to do as well, but that's not a bad deal.

I might just go to this. I've got my limited edition pre-order but I might go for this and then give this pre-order to my brother. I've got nothing else to do on Monday.

Rumors abound today about Metal Gear Solid 4 and its long cutscenes and huge mandatory install. Is the PS3's blockbuster exclusive an HDD hog or what?

From CVG today comes a pretty wild rumor about Metal Gear Solid 4: the penultimate title in the Solid Snake series will feature rather lengthy cutscenes.

How lengthy? Try 90 minutes. And that's not 90-minutes in total, that's a 90-minute cutscene.

Trouble is, it's not entirely accurate. Will MSG4 have lengthy cutscenes, like the 45-minute one in MGS2? Yes, says GamePro's own Sid Shuman, but nowhere near 90 minutes.

"I've beat the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes.

"I think it's safe to say that the '90 minutes cinemas' claim is a pretty big exaggeration," he told GamePro News.

Unknown at this time is whether or not the cutscenes, 90-minutes or otherwise, are skippable.

UPDATE@1:15 EST: Cut scenes are skippable.

That said, there's one more rumor out there today that looks to have some weight to it. A purported pic of a MGS4 display case revealed that the game could come with an oft-maligned PS3 mandatory install. In this case, it appears to be about 4.6GB.

http://www.gamepro.com

New Screens

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004449957.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004500847.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004503222.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004457582.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004444519.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004452144.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004510613.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004512769.jpg

Of course there won't be a 90 minute cut scene.

I mean, at the end of the game a optional thing to view or something.

But not a random 90 minute one in the middle of the game, that would put tons of people off.

Some many different bundles.

40GB Piano Black      MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Ceramic White    MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Satin Silver     MGS4     Sixaxis+Dual Shock 3     49980Y
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  Dual Shock 3             51800Y

80GB Piano Black      MGS4     Dual Shock 3             499$
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  Dual Shock 3             599$

40GB Piano Black      MGS4     Sixaxis                  439€
40GB Gunmetal Grey    MGS4 LE  ???                      ???

While I feel sorry for you Chuck, I can't help but be pleased if this means the limited edition is actually in super limited supply. It means I can ebay mine for a bugger load, or be very proud of it. I wish I'd ordered two.

I previously assumed it'd be like the GTA special edition and be the only version of the game that isn't sold out.

While I feel sorry for you Chuck, I can't help but be pleased if this means the limited edition is actually in super limited supply. It means I can ebay mine for a bugger load, or be very proud of it. I wish I'd ordered two.

I previously assumed it'd be like the GTA special edition and be the only version of the game that isn't sold out.

Yeah. It would be nice if limited edition actually meant limited edition for once. Anyone know how many were made available or if there is a print/serial number?

If play don't deliver on launch day I'm going to buy a copy from the shops and eBay the LE. I need this game on launch day.